Texas now grapples with one of country's worst outbreaks

11,882 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This article sums up how Texas got in this avoidable predicament.

Once lauded for its COVID-19 response, Texas now grapples with one of country's worst outbreaks

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/texas-covid-19-response-greg-abbott-reopen-virus-15384725.php

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
C'mon November 3rd! We just gotta hang on til then.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
br53
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Do you think the headline will be that HC cures it or just that there will be no more headlines about it? This is all based on my assumption that it disappears if the DEM nominee wins. I also think it will disappear if the REP nominee wins because there wont be a political enemy for the media to destroy either way, the election will simply be over.
Username checks out
br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Do you think the headline will be that HC cures it or just that there will be no more headlines about it? This is all based on my assumption that it disappears if the DEM nominee wins. I also think it will disappear if the REP nominee wins because there wont be a political enemy for the media to destroy either way, the election will simply be over.

His comment mimics the trumpist talking point, this whole thing is a hoax fabricated to help Democrats. It's really sad given the hundreds of thousands that have died and will continue to die. The tribalist mindset can't fathom a world bigger than the dominion of the tribe, neighbors be damned.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It will still be around, just not most every minute of every day in the 24/7 news cycle. Covid will have to share the stage with cancer, heart disease, diabetes and all the other diseases we have battled for centuries. I think this happens, regardless of which candidate wins.

-- Barack Obama
br53
Username checks out said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

His comment mimics the trumpist talking point, this whole thing is a hoax fabricated to help Democrats. It's really sad given the hundreds of thousands that have died and will continue to die. The tribalist mindset can't fathom a world bigger than the dominion of the tribe, neighbors be damned.
What disease will the Chinese unleash on us next? I say it this way because it does not appear to be a virus that behaves in any fashion similar to "natural" viruses. Generally when it gets hot a natural virus will fade a little bit, slow down in terms of spread and also I have not read enough on it but there have been few mentions of it morphing or changing. Do you think it is a man made disease?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Covid-19 has killed .00038 percent of America's 330,000,000 people.

No doubt that Covid is real, it is just not that deadly. Sorry.

I think overall, our tribes are safe.

-- Barack Obama
Booray
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

That number would be much larger we had not shut down.

That number would be smaller if we would socially distance and wear masks.

Trump undermined the lockdowns and the mask wearing and by example refuses to promote social distancing.
Username checks out
br53 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

What disease will the Chinese unleash on us next? I say it this way because it does not appear to be a virus that behaves in any fashion similar to "natural" viruses. Generally when it gets hot a natural virus will fade a little bit, slow down in terms of spread and also I have not read enough on it but there have been few mentions of it morphing or changing. Do you think it is a man made disease?

If you're going to make bat**** crazy claims about it being manufactured by Chinese, the onus is on you to provide non-circumstancial proof. So no, I haven't seen anything rigorous to suggest it is a man-made virus.
cinque
Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Trump undermined the lockdowns and the mask wearing and by example refuses to promote social distancing.
True and his mishandling of this pandemic is the chief reason he'll be defeated.
GrowlTowel
You haven't seen proof of 17 genders but you still believe it.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
br53

br53 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

If you're going to make bat**** crazy claims about it being manufactured by Chinese, the onus is on you to provide non-circumstancial proof. So no, I haven't seen anything rigorous to suggest it is a man-made virus.
Not bat**** crazy. It is about science and I have read multiple articles that state it is a natural virus and multiple articles that state it was manufactured. For each scientist that says it is natural there is one that says it is manufactured. They both have their reasons but most credible scientists say it is natural and some say it is not and some in the Govt intelligence community say both. Depends on what you read. Just like everything with this virus. As soon as I read one article that says one thing, I read another that disputes that article.
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

That number would be much smaller had China and the WHO not promoted relaxing precautions even in February.

We take their advice: For the two-year budget cycle of 2018 and 2019, the U.S. government pledged to contribute $893 million to WHO's budget.

You'd expect them to give us the correct answers.

They downplayed that the virus was human to human. All while they knew the results in China for months.

You're pointing the finger at POTUS who got the recommendations from who we pay for answers and they were wrong...purposely wrong.
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

That number would be much smaller had China and the WHO not promoted relaxing precautions even in February.

We take their advice: For the two-year budget cycle of 2018 and 2019, the U.S. government pledged to contribute $893 million to WHO's budget.

They downplayed that the virus was human to human. All while they knew the results in China for months.

You're pointing the finger at POTUS who got the recommendations from who we pay for answers and they were wrong...purposely wrong.
We knew about human to human transmission well before Trump started undermining social distancing and mask wearing as well as tweeting about "Free Michigan."

All that is on him.
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

We knew about human to human transmission well before Trump started undermining social distancing and mask wearing as well as tweeting about "Free Michigan."

All that is on him.

And the other 8 European countries doing way worse than us, it's on their leaders too?

Trump should have gone rogue from the scientific globalist community and pushed for extreme measures instantly when nobody else was doing so?
cinque
Canada says hi.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
cinque said:

Canada says hi.
Canada has 40 million people. The U.S. has 330,000,000 people. Nice try, though.

-- Barack Obama
bear2be2

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

And it's particularly stupid given that more than 400,000 individuals from outside the United States have now lost their lives to this virus.

This virus -- and science in general -- doesn't give a **** about American politics.
cinque
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

cinque said:

Canada says hi.
Canada has 40 million people. The U.S. has 330,000,000 people. Nice try, though.
And Canada has managed COVID much better. Maybe because they don't confuse independence with freedom.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

And it's particularly stupid given that more than 400,000 individuals from outside the United States have now lost their lives to this virus.

This virus -- and science in general -- doesn't give a **** about American politics.
C'mon November 3rd!!!!

-- Barack Obama
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Again....

Many of these pandemics have a 2nd wave in the fall that are far more virulent than the initial spring outbreak.

We may be looking at 3x the number of deaths next fall with a far worse impact on the economy than anything experienced so far .

Was all this avoidable ? No.

The only action that MIGHT have prevented this onslaught would have been a total shutdown of ALL international travel back in early January along with a total closure of our borders . Both north and south .

However if Trump had attempted such pre emptive active the American people, press , and courts would have stopped him.

Worse , the summer heat has had minimal impact on this virus . One of the reasons I believe this pestilence is engineered ...not naturally occurring.

So hang tight ...without a vaccine we are in for very hard times .
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I love you man, but we cannot wait to start living again until we develop a vaccine. We may have one in four months or it could be ten years. It could be never!

My family refuses to live our lives in fear. It is not an option for us.

-- Barack Obama
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
Seriously, what do you think is going to happen Nov. 3?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
The 24/7 Covid-19 coverage is going to disappear like a fart in a hurricane.

-- Barack Obama
br53
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
The 24/7 Covid-19 coverage is going to disappear like a fart in a hurricane.
I been thru a hurricane and trust me they dont all disappear. That wind sometimes whips it around for a second helping.
Sam Lowry
Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
Covid won't be on TV any more, and therefore it won't be real.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bear2be2 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
You folks should quarantine at home until 2024. We will let you know when it is safe to come out again.

-- Barack Obama
GoneGirl

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

This is the kind of twisted narrative I simply do not see except on this forum. Where do people get this info?

Clinton is so far off the radar that the FAA should be searching for wreckage. She isn't even (to my knowledge) visibly campaigning for Biden.

How would anyone imagine that it is even possible to shut down every country in the world, overwhelm hospitals in China, Italy, Brazil and New York, and cause schools and unviersities to close due to a politically motivated hoax enacted expressly for the purpose of beating Donald Trump.

A Trump Ptolemaic universe is a bizarre construct.
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
You folks should quarantine at home until 2024. We will let you know when it is safe to come out again.
We will all be quarantining at home a lot longer because of guys like you, who flatly refuse to follow basic health guidleines in the short term so we can do what New Zealand did and shut the virus down.

This is an order of magnitude worse that not "believing in" climate change because the damage is immediately visible.

It'll be interesting to see if any of you listen as the likes of Mike Pence and governors of states with bad outbreaks continue to backpeddle because they've realized that political expediency--claiming the precautins recommended by public health professionals aren't really necessary--has backfired bigtime and outed them as putting their own personal short-term political gain, and boy the term was really short, ahead of the health and welfare of the people they were elected to govern.

I hope we have tribunals for some of these guys: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/06/here-are-governors-who-hurt-so-many-so-needlessly/
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I love you man, but we cannot wait to start living again until we develop a vaccine. We may have one in four months or it could be ten years. It could be never!

My family refuses to live our lives in fear. It is not an option for us.

Send a PM to Limited and find out some details of what a relatively MILD case of this is like .
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
We will all be quarantining at home a lot longer because of guys like you, who flatly refuse to follow basic health guidleines in the short term so we can do what New Zealand did and shut the virus down.

This is an order of magnitude worse that not "believing in" climate change because the damage is immediately visible.

It'll be interesting to see if any of you listen as the likes of Mike Pence and governors of states with bad outbreaks continue to backpeddle because they've realized that political expediency--claiming the precautins recommended by public health professionals aren't really necessary--has backfired bigtime and outed them as putting their own personal short-term political gain, and boy the term was really short, ahead of the health and welfare of the people they were elected to govern.

I hope we have tribunals for some of these guys: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/06/here-are-governors-who-hurt-so-many-so-needlessly/

What basic health guidelines have I not followed? I wear my damn mask at the grocery store. I social distance. I am working from home which is not easy for an outside salesman. I have not been able to visit my 83-year old mother in her memory care facility in 3 months.

I am playing the game for now and doing my best to follow all of the constantly changing rules, but I promise you, will not be doing this forever. Not gonna happen.

-- Barack Obama
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

And the other 8 European countries doing way worse than us, it's on their leaders too?

Trump should have gone rogue from the scientific globalist community and pushed for extreme measures instantly when nobody else was doing so?
Several points here.

First, "Our World in Data" puts 8 European Co countries with a worse overall per capita death rate while Statista lists only 6 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/) Not sure why the difference.

Second, Belgium always has the worst stats. That is because it reports probably Covid deaths even when there was no confirmed tests. While Belgium's numbers are likely more accurate, including it in the comparison is not really correct.

Third, that means there are 5 developed, populous countries that definitively have fared worse than we have so far: England, Italy, Spain,. France and Sweden. What do those countries have in common? They either never embraced social distancing (Sweden); were late to embrace social distancing (England); or had a population that in the early days of exposure ignored government directives to social distance (Italy, France and Spain). But those countries were smart enough to learn from their mistakes. As a result they eventually got serious about fighting the virus. Almost like magic their statistics vastly improved. As a result there curves in terms of number of cases are relatively flattened while ours rises.

Fourth, we have the best healthcare system in the world, we should get some benefit for that in a cirsis like this compared to other countries.

We had the benefit of seeing what could happen because Europe got hit first. Rather than organizing a coordinated and focused national response, Trump offloaded most of the responsibility on governors then undermined any of them that did not appropriately prioritize economic recovery. When it became relatively clear that mask wearing would help, his own vanity prevented him from leading on the issue. He was cheerleader for early and aggressive re-opening, in essence begging us to emulate the mistakes the five listed countries made at the beginning of the outbreak. As a bonus he has used a time of crisis to further divide us.

This was going to be bad no matter what. But the confused, undisciplined govern by twitter response has made it far worse than it had to be. You can insert "globalist" into every sentence you type and it doesn't change things. Trump' s leadership on the issue has been horrific.

cinque
The White House issued a list of COVID benchmarks that would need to be met before municipalities could safely reopen their economies. Texas met none of those benchmarks and rushed to open anyway.

Why is anybody surprised that COVID cases are exploding here?
TexasScientist
br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It didn't disappear in April, nor summer, and it won't disappear in November, because pathogens are not political. People will still be getting sick and people will still be dying, especially if we continue with no serious plan to curtail transmission.
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!

What basic health guidelines have I not followed? I wear my damn mask at the grocery store. I social distance. I am working from home which is not easy for an outside salesman. I have not been able to visit my 83-year old mother in her memory care facility in 3 months.

I am playing the game for now and doing my best to follow all of the constantly changing rules, but I promise you, will not be doing this forever. Not gonna happen.
Good. But you sound like a volcano that's about to erupt. We've done the same exact thing.

But lots of people haven't, and they've been aided and abetted by your governor, Gov. Ducey of Arizona, my governor and lots of others.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.