Texas now grapples with one of country's worst outbreaks

12,078 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bad news, guys. This isn't just going to go away. And if we don't treat this spike as a wake-up call, and start taking it seriously, we're going to prolong its effects even more.

----------

With Texas continuing to break records for new coronavirus deaths and hospitalizations this week, Gov. Greg Abbott reiterated Friday afternoon that things will continue to get worse. And if people keep flouting his new statewide mask mandate, he said, the next step could be another economic lockdown.

"Things will get worse, and let me explain why," he told KLBK TV in Lubbock. "The deaths that we're seeing announced today and yesterday which are now over 100 those are people who likely contracted COVID-19 in late May.

"The worst is yet to come as we work our way through that massive increase in people testing positive."

----------

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/10/greg-abbott-shutdown-texas-mask-order/?utm_campaign=trib-social-buttons&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1sfRvw-oPRllOmiXs6UswvOj064ONjdtZuvp30LbxJxq_lslzQa8eaClY
br53
Atleast he is being honest
bear2be2
br53 said:

Atleast he is being honest
I agree. Many Republican governors and legislators refuse to on this topic.

I don't think Abbott handled the reopening very well, but I'll give him some credit for acknowledging the reality of his/our situation now.
4th and Inches
TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

What's Texas' current death rate? How does it compare to the flu? How does it compare to other states for Wuhan virus?
Just under 2700 deaths. Rate is 93/million population.
So we cancelled the State Fair when we have > 7,000 deaths to go to reach a bad influenza season? We're smart.
I think you mean 700?
Whut?
If I weren't so mad at Abbott and his stupid constituents, this telling post would have made me laugh.
Abbott has 29 million constituents. Why exactly are they stupid? Thanks in advance.
Abbott followed Trump instead of public health experts. Now Texas will have more cases, more deaths and more economic damage. You can try to put a positive spin on that now. I'll be interested to see how long you can sustain the gaslighting about what's happening in Texas, and what the talking-point excuses for more cases and deaths will be.

The only silver lining-and it's a tarnished one-is that maybe people will vote out Trump and some of the state leaders, both governors and mayors, who wouldn't listen to public health experts and work together to reduce the number of deaths. And even that's a big question, as a large number of people are willing to accept obviously false narratives and excuses rather than admit that they, the media they consume and the leaders they support are wrong.
Death isn't increasing.
Death isn't increasing because it lags behind, taking as long as four to six weeks of suffering for someone to succumb to the virus. Death rate will begin to go up in a few weeks. Surely you understand that.
The bolded is categorically false. We have only had a single patient that required more than two weeks of ventilation before declaring themselves one way or the other.
Wrong. Nick Cordero suffered for over a month before he died. Read what I wrote that you bolded. I said as long as. Some people die much sooner. The evidence is abundantly clear that death rate lags behind infection rate and hospitalization.
I have taken care of more than 50 Covid + patients personally, half of them on a vent, but I am sure you know more.
They don't go on a vent the same day they're exposed. The whole process can take many weeks.
did you just tell a doctor who does this for a living how this process works? Wow...
Don't know if he is a doctor, but they need to get him out of the ICU with that attitude. Incompetent doctors are sued all the time.
lol, get a refund on who taught your reading comprehension class... he has been talking all over this site for months about his work with COVID patients. He doesnt push an agenda, he tells what he sees...

FYI, most doctors who get sued are sued for other reasons than competency...
I'm glad you have time to read all over this site for months. Thanks for keeping me informed.
self employment is a wonderful thing... i worked about 47 hours this week on 4 different job sites and still had time to glance at this website from time to time.
Booray
McLennan County reports only 20 new cases today (but one new death, raising total to 17). Case counts always dip on the weekends, but this was a good sign.
Booray
8,000 new Texas cases and 80 new deaths. The 8,000 new cases is a relatively large number for a Sunday. The death total is a slight decrease from recent days..
br53
Not going down any time soon. The moron three houses behind me has had 2 vivid parties this weekend according to the guy across the street. The guy that had the parties just had an ambulance and fire truck visit him.
cinque
People are confusing independence with freedom. Freedom has a responsibility component to it that independence does not.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Username checks out said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd! We just gotta hang on til then.
Do you think the headline will be that HC cures it or just that there will be no more headlines about it? This is all based on my assumption that it disappears if the DEM nominee wins. I also think it will disappear if the REP nominee wins because there wont be a political enemy for the media to destroy either way, the election will simply be over.

His comment mimics the trumpist talking point, this whole thing is a hoax fabricated to help Democrats. It's really sad given the hundreds of thousands that have died and will continue to die. The tribalist mindset can't fathom a world bigger than the dominion of the tribe, neighbors be damned.
Covid-19 has killed .00038 percent of America's 330,000,000 people.

No doubt that Covid is real, it is just not that deadly. Sorry.

I think overall, our tribes are safe.
That number would be much larger we had not shut down.

That number would be smaller if we would socially distance and wear masks.

Trump undermined the lockdowns and the mask wearing and by example refuses to promote social distancing.
That number would be much smaller had China and the WHO not promoted relaxing precautions even in February.

We take their advice: For the two-year budget cycle of 2018 and 2019, the U.S. government pledged to contribute $893 million to WHO's budget.

You'd expect them to give us the correct answers.

They downplayed that the virus was human to human. All while they knew the results in China for months.

You're pointing the finger at POTUS who got the recommendations from who we pay for answers and they were wrong...purposely wrong.
We knew about human to human transmission well before Trump started undermining social distancing and mask wearing as well as tweeting about "Free Michigan."

All that is on him.

And the other 8 European countries doing way worse than us, it's on their leaders too?

Trump should have gone rogue from the scientific globalist community and pushed for extreme measures instantly when nobody else was doing so?

S. Korea and the US had their first case on January 20. Details matter.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Booray said:

8,000 new Texas cases and 80 new deaths. The 8,000 new cases is a relatively large number for a Sunday. The death total is a slight decrease from recent days..

Come on Florida!
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Texasjeremy
TEXAS COUNTIES OF GREATER THAN 200K PEOPLE

NUMBERS THROUGH 7/12/20

POPULATION WITH CASE
1.74% - Galveston
1.59% - Hays
1.57% - Nueces
1.39% - Jefferson
1.28% - Brazos
1.20% - Dallas
1.19% - Lubbock
1.15% - Travis
1.08% - El Paso
0.96% - McLennan
0.94% - Bexar
0.92% - Webb
0.91% - Brazoria
0.89% - Harris
0.89% - Hidalgo
0.88% - TEXAS COMBINED
0.83% - Cameron
0.83% - Tarrant
0.64% - Williamson
0.60% - Fort Bend
0.59% - Bell
0.56% - Smith
0.51% - Montgomery
0.44% - Denton
0.43% - Collin

% POPULATION DEATH
0.020% - Lubbock
0.018% - Cameron
0.018% - El Paso
0.017% - Dallas
0.016% - Galveston
0.016% - Hidalgo
0.015% - Brazos
0.015% - Jefferson
0.014% - Webb
0.013% - Travis
0.013% - Tarrant
0.012% - Nueces
0.011% - TEXAS COMBINED
0.009% - Harris
0.009% - Williamson
0.008% - Bexar
0.008% - Fort Bend
0.007% - Brazoria
0.007% - McLennan
0.007% - Montgomery
0.006% - Collin
0.005% - Denton
0.005% - Hays
0.004% - Bell
0.003% - Smith

DEATHS PER CASE
2.20% - Cameron
1.84% - Hidalgo
1.65% - El Paso
1.64% - Lubbock
1.57% - Webb
1.51% - Tarrant
1.41% - Dallas
1.40% - Williamson
1.36% - Montgomery
1.30% - Collin
1.28% - Fort Bend
1.26% - TEXAS COMBINED
1.21% - Brazos
1.16% - Travis
1.10% - Jefferson
1.05% - Harris
1.02% - Denton
0.92% - Galveston
0.89% - Bexar
0.74% - Brazoria
0.74% - Nueces
0.70% - McLennan
0.67% - Bell
0.62% - Smith
0.31% - Hays
Robert Wilson
Texasjeremy said:

NUMBERS THROUGH 7/12/20

% POPULATION DEATH
0.020% - Lubbock
0.018% - Cameron
0.018% - El Paso
0.017% - Dallas
0.016% - Galveston
0.016% - Hidalgo
0.015% - Brazos
0.015% - Jefferson
0.014% - Webb
0.013% - Travis
0.013% - Tarrant
0.012% - Nueces
0.009% - Harris
0.009% - Williamson
0.008% - Bexar
0.008% - Fort Bend
0.007% - Brazoria
0.007% - McLennan
0.007% - Montgomery
0.006% - Collin
0.005% - Denton
0.005% - Hays
0.004% - Bell
0.003% - Smith
What are the normal population death % totals for a year?
Flaming Moderate
[img][url=https://ibb.co/xXCtKsM][/url][/img]
Robert Wilson
Holy smokes. Now what do we do every flu season? Just absolutely lose our minds?
Robert Wilson
Flaming Moderate said:

[img][url=https://ibb.co/xXCtKsM][/url][/img]
How'd you get that to print out in that fashion?

I did go to HHS website and verify the flu season death totals.

How incredibly irresponsible of us to go on with our lives throughout the last couple of winters. We should've been shutting down the end of every football season, holiday season, college and HS basketball seasons, etc. PEOPLE WILL DIE!

Now that we've figured that out, we can recognize our true and rightful place as eternal beings, free from all pain and suffering, sitting at home with our dks in our hands.
br53
It is not the deaths that you should be so consumed with but the affect this virus has on your respiratory system both short and long term. It sends more people to the ICU than the flu which consumes alot of resources and strains our medical system. Yall have got to be smarter than this. You think it only affects the elderly or those with preexisting conditions? Read up on the 30 year old that died in San Antonio this weekend. Idiot went to a covid party, had no prior conditions. Last words were I thought it was a hoax.
Robert Wilson
br53 said:

It sends more people to the ICU than the flu which consumes alot of resources and strains our medical system.
Thank God we are back to flatten the curve. Or at least this one person is.
Texasjeremy
Robert Wilson said:

Texasjeremy said:

NUMBERS THROUGH 7/12/20

% POPULATION DEATH
0.020% - Lubbock
0.018% - Cameron
0.018% - El Paso
0.017% - Dallas
0.016% - Galveston
0.016% - Hidalgo
0.015% - Brazos
0.015% - Jefferson
0.014% - Webb
0.013% - Travis
0.013% - Tarrant
0.012% - Nueces
0.011% - TEXAS COMBINED
0.009% - Harris
0.009% - Williamson
0.008% - Bexar
0.008% - Fort Bend
0.007% - Brazoria
0.007% - McLennan
0.007% - Montgomery
0.006% - Collin
0.005% - Denton
0.005% - Hays
0.004% - Bell
0.003% - Smith
What are the normal population death % totals for a year?

Here is was the overall county death % totals from 2010:

0.94% - Jefferson
0.89% - Smith
0.85% - McLennan
0.80% - Lubbock
0.76% - Galveston
0.75% - Nueces
0.66% - TEXAS COMBINED
0.65% - Bexar
0.62% - Montgomery
0.61% - Bell
0.61% - Tarrant
0.60% - Brazoria
0.60% - Dallas
0.59% - Cameron
0.57% - El Paso
0.54% - Harris
0.50% - Hays
0.48% - Webb
0.47% - Hidalgo
0.45% - Travis
0.44% - Williamson
0.43% - Brazos
0.40% - Denton
0.39% - Collin
0.39% - Fort Bend
Robert Wilson
Thanks, Jeremy.

I can only conclude we've been some careless and callous MFers up to now. If only we'd have realized earlier how dangerous life is ... maybe we'd have been smart enough to shut it down sooner.
chriscbear
Yesterday New York state reported no deaths from covid 19. Have faith the tide will soon turn in Texas etc. Dont over react . It will get better. More testing = more cases but deaths and hospitalizations headed down.
Flaming Moderate
br53 said:

It is not the deaths that you should be so consumed with but the affect this virus has on your respiratory system both short and long term. It sends more people to the ICU than the flu which consumes alot of resources and strains our medical system. Yall have got to be smarter than this. You think it only affects the elderly or those with preexisting conditions? Read up on the 30 year old that died in San Antonio this weekend. Idiot went to a covid party, had no prior conditions. Last words were I thought it was a hoax.
It is very strange and concerning how the impact seems to be so diverse and variable. However, if the media reported all the 90-year-olds (and others) that recovered, we would have a different POV. It only is reporting deaths not recoveries.

Not sure we will ever get a clear answer, but the diversity if impact is fascinating - almost like there are multiple strands that are not even the same virus.
Bexar Pitts
chriscbear said:

Yesterday New York state reported no deaths from covid 19. Have faith the tide will soon turn in Texas etc. Dont over react . It will get better. More testing = more cases but deaths and hospitalizations headed down.
In McLennan County, we had 50 hospitalizations Friday. We have 64 today. Also, 2 more deaths today..for a total of 19.
Bexar Pitts
Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

It is very strange and concerning how the impact seems to be so diverse and variable. However, if the media reported all the 90-year-olds (and others) that recovered, we would have a different POV. It only is reporting deaths not recoveries.

Not sure we will ever get a clear answer, but the diversity if impact is fascinating - almost like there are multiple strands that are not even the same virus.
I can't speak to National numbers, but McLennan County does post recoveries on a daily basis. Information on the case numbers, deaths, hospitalizations, etc. can be found at CovidWaco.com
bear2be2
chriscbear said:

New York's outbreak peaked in early April. Texas' likely hasn't peaked yet. The tide will turn eventually, but we're nowhere near that point yet unfortunately.
Flaming Moderate
Bexar Pitts said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

I can't speak to National numbers, but McLennan County does post recoveries on a daily basis. Information on the case numbers, deaths, hospitalizations, etc. can be found at CovidWaco.com
They'll post them, but the media is not running a story every time a senior citizen recovers, but they are running a story every time a 30-year-old dies.
cinque
Will Houston be able to get a handle on COVID without requiring another shelter in place. I don't see how...
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
cinque said:

Will Houston be able to get a handle on COVID without requiring another shelter in place. I don't see how...
Houston gonna Houston. Natural Selection. Survival of the fittest.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
quash
Flaming Moderate said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

They'll post them, but the media is not running a story every time a senior citizen recovers, but they are running a story every time a 30-year-old dies.
Why would you expect otherwise? The narrative has been that young people are bulletproof, when you send out your dead they are old.

Man bites dog, Jour.101.
TexasScientist
cinque said:

Not likely.
Bexar Pitts
Bexar Pitts said:

chriscbear said:

In McLennan County, we had 50 hospitalizations Friday. We have 64 today. Also, 2 more deaths today..for a total of 19.
McLennan County reporting 176 new cases today (Tuesday) ...73 hospitalizations...concerned that they show all 54 ICU beds in use.
Flaming Moderate
quash said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Why would you expect otherwise? The narrative has been that young people are bulletproof, when you send out your dead they are old.

Man bites dog, Jour.101.
The narrative also has been "you want to kill old people" if you don't support a lockdown. So old folks coming through fine too is man bites dog.
quash
Flaming Moderate said:

quash said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Flaming Moderate said:

br53 said:

Man bites dog, Jour.101.
The narrative also has been "you want to kill old people" if you don't support a lockdown. So old folks coming through fine too is man bites dog.
With a mortality rate well under 1% recoveries are not man bites dog. Not by a long shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.