Masks - Efficacious or Not?

2,353 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by D. C. Bear
Flaming Moderate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I do not have a problem with masks per se, but I am sick of smelling my breath all day ... and just the general inconvenience of it all, but I have major qualms. However, dot's I cannot connect:

1. If masks work, then why can't we just open everything back up ensuring everyone is masked?

2. If we cannot open everything back up, that pretty much indicates masks are a ruse.

It cannot be both. If they work, I can go to a football game or concert next month wearing a mask. If I can't, then it is just silly virtue signaling.
Gold Tron
No one seems to listen to me. That being said, I have worn a mask every work day for 18 years. That is a lot of mask wearing. I stipulate that wearing a mask to protect your open wound during surgery is important. Wearing a mask in public does very little to stop the transmission of an invisible nemesis.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Canada2017
My N95 works far better than a cloth mask.

So uncomfortable as it is...I wear it .
Flaming Moderate
Gold Tron said:

No one seems to listen to me. That being said, I have worn a mask every work day for 18 years. That is a lot of mask wearing. I stipulate that wearing a mask to protect your open wound during surgery is important. Wearing a mask in public does very little to stop the transmission of an invisible nemesis.
It seems like masks are the ultimate paragon of the extreme left - all sizzle no steak. All of the data shows it does not work, but more important than rational results are the emotional virtue-signaling. #science is a servant of politics. #facts are "-ist."
BaylorBJM
Flaming Moderate said:

I do not have a problem with masks per se, but I am sick of smelling my breath all day ... and just the general inconvenience of it all, but I have major qualms. However, dot's I cannot connect:

1. If masks work, then why can't we just open everything back up ensuring everyone is masked?

2. If we cannot open everything back up, that pretty much indicates masks are a ruse.

It cannot be both. If they work, I can go to a football game or concert next month wearing a mask. If I can't, then it is just silly virtue signaling.

Sounds like you have a teeth brushing issue.

Wear a mask.

And brush your teeth.
bear2be2
If we're still having this ****ing discussion on July 10th, after 136,000 deaths and a major spike across the southern half of the country that will send that number upwards of 200,000 in the next two months, we're just screwed.

Our citizenry is stupid beyond description.
SSadler
nm
Canada2017
bear2be2 said:

If we're still having this ****ing discussion on July 10th, after 136,000 deaths and a major spike across the southern half of the country that will send that number upwards of 200,000 in the next two months, we're just screwed.

True....seriously stupid .

And as further proof millions are going to vote for a 78 year old dementia sufferer for POTUS.

Who is promising higher taxes , a totally unworkable Green Plan which will cost thousands of jobs , and FREE health care to illegal immigrants.

Anyone even consider what the impact will be throughout Central and South America ?

Hundreds of thousands will flood into our southern border .

In the middle of a PANDEMIC.

We have met the enemy....and he is us .

Pogo
Username checks out
Canada2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

True....seriously stupid .

And as further proof millions are going to vote for a 78 year old dementia sufferer for POTUS.

Who is promising higher taxes , a totally unworkable Green Plan which will cost thousands of jobs , and FREE health care to illegal immigrants.

Anyone even consider what the impact will be throughout Central and South America ?

Hundreds of thousands will flood into our southern border .

In the middle of a PANDEMIC.

We have met the enemy....and he is us .

Pogo

If I understand you right, yes, our citizenry is stupid beyond description.
Username checks out
BaylorBJM said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Wear a mask.

And brush your teeth.

To be fair to the OP, this is what happens when your lord and savior declares that covid is a Democrat hoax. You find every which way to undermine fighting the spread of the pandemic.
D. C. Bear
Current research suggests it is efficacious to wear a mask.

https://m.facebook.com/100000159663144/posts/3705109986170954/?d=n
D. C. Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

If seatbelts work, why do we have traffic lights?
If airbags work, why do we have seatbelts?
Masks aren't 100 percent effective, but they do reduce transmission. It is not hard to understand unless (your (your head) ass). Seriously.
Booray
Gold Tron said:

Accepting your premise, mask wearing has less cost than the small benefit. So we still should do it.

And many infectious disease doctors and epidemiologists dispute your premise, although no one extols mask wearing as the silver bullet the OP's straw man argument sets it up to be.
contrario
Flaming Moderate said:

The problem is, not enough people are doing something as simple as wearing as mask. Some on here would declare a civil war if it was federally mandated, but that's what it would take to get everyone to wear one. So it's catch 22.
Username checks out
contrario said:

Flaming Moderate said:

The problem is, not enough people are doing something as simple as wearing as mask. Some on here would declare a civil war if it was federally mandated, but that's what it would take to get everyone to wear one. So it's catch 22.

Wouldn't be a civil war. The crazies on here are a vast minority. They all put on masks when they go to HEB anyway.
Mothra
Saw a statistic the other day about Japan. They have less than 1,000 deaths, An unemployment rate of 2.6% and didn't completely shut down their economy like we did. Instead they encouraged safe practice - like wearing a mask. Virtually everyone does it.

I'm sure there are other factors at play - lack of obesity and unhealthy lifestyle choices - but you can't tell me that mask wearing has not led to lessening the spread.

For the life of me I can't understand my fellow conservatives who get so up in arms about this. Just wear the damn mask until this passes and stop being *******s.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

Saw a statistic the other day about Japan. They have less than 1,000 deaths, An unemployment rate of 2.6% and didn't completely shut down their economy like we did. Instead they encouraged safe practice - like wearing a mask. Virtually everyone does it.

I'm sure there are other factors at play - lack of obesity and unhealthy lifestyle choices - but you can't tell me that mask wearing has not led to lessening the spread.

For the life of me I can't understand my fellow conservatives who get so up in arms about this. Just wear the damn mask until this passes and stop being *******s.
Asians have been wearing masks as a means of slowing disease transmission for a while now. There's no stigma; it's just accepted practice. It's not a coincidence IMO that that region of the world has been better than the West at containing this virus. They don't fight these stupid battles for months before accepting the original science. They just do what they need to do, and the results speak for themselves.
Buddha Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

Masks an social distancing together will beat the virus. I live and Thailand, and that's exactly what we did here. The country has been Covid free for nearly 2 months.

And now we are free to do as we please here. What a wonderful time to be here as well with no tourists. It took 99.9% of the population to be compliant and succeed. And it was worth it.
Johnny Bear
Username checks out said:

BaylorBJM said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Wear a mask.

And brush your teeth.

To be fair to the OP, this is what happens when your lord and savior declares that covid is a Democrat hoax. You find every which way to undermine fighting the spread of the pandemic.

Gee, I know a little something about the Bible and I don't recall ever reading about Jesus saying that "Covid is a democrat hoax". Could you please provide the chapter and verse on that one? Perhaps it's near the chapter and verse that Obama's long time "pastor" claimed to be quoting that says "God**** America!". Somehow I've never come across that one either.

Anyway, I'm glad our President never said anything like that (which he didn't).
curtpenn
Mothra said:

Well... yeah..... dang it.
Flaming Moderate
Buddha Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Masks an social distancing together will beat the virus. I live and Thailand, and that's exactly what we did here. The country has been Covid free for nearly 2 months.

And now we are free to do as we please here. What a wonderful time to be here as well with no tourists. It took 99.9% of the population to be compliant and succeed. And it was worth it.

So why so the states with the most draconian restrictions have the highest death rates?
Buddha Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

Buddha Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

So why so the states with the most draconian restrictions have the highest death rates?

Death rates and transmission rates are very different.

Thailand took drastic measures in addition to masks that Americans would never approve of.

60 quarantine nationwide. 90 closure of bars. 60 day curfew. Mandatory masks to enter any business or govt office. QR code checkin and check out for everyone entering a business. Temp checks mandatory upon entering any business. It seemed over the top. But so far, it got the results it intended.

Was the 1st country outside China to be infected. Only 3000 cases and 50 deaths total. Maybe you can make assumptions about the death rate with this information. But I'm sure it has more to do with pre-existing conditions, local quality of healthcare or method of treatment in each US state.

Also, the story in America is only half way finished. Still much to happen before assumptions can be made about state to state death rates.
cinque
Thoughts and prayers:

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1282053325580644354?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1282053325580644354%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surlyhorns.com%2Fboard%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fdwuhlfelderlaw%2Fstatus%2F1282053325580644354%3Fs%3D21
cinque
More thoughts and prayers:

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1281699513456046081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1281699513456046081%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surlyhorns.com%2Fboard%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FBriannaWu%2Fstatus%2F1281699513456046081%3Fs%3D19
Flaming Moderate
Delaying schools. I guess masks don't work after all ... otherwise we could send teachers and kids to school in masks. #logic #science
Buddha Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

Delaying schools. I guess masks don't work after all ... otherwise we could send teachers and kids to school in masks. #logic #science

You're forgetting the social distancing part of the equation. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. As I've mentioned previously, I'm in a country where masks worked. Proven. End of story.
bear2be2
Buddha Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

You're forgetting the social distancing part of the equation. As I've mentioned previously, I'm in a country where masks worked. Proven. End of story.
Don't you know by now that nothing outside of the United States' borders matters? There's nothing whatsoever to be learned from those who have proven/are proving that a) this virus can be contained and b) wearing masks/social distancing are a simple and significant part of that process. America is exceptional, damn it. And if we aren't doing it, it shouldn't be done.
Flaming Moderate
Buddha Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

You're forgetting the social distancing part of the equation. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. As I've mentioned previously, I'm in a country where masks worked. Proven. End of story.
You know this makes not logical sense. If one is distancing, then a mask is superfluous.

So, given your country's success: should the U.S. completely re-open if everyone wears a mask? (Please don't deflect, just be a man, nut up and give a straightforward answer).
Buddha Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

Buddha Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

You know this makes not logical sense. If one is distancing, then a mask is superfluous.

So, given your country's success: should the U.S. completely re-open if everyone wears a mask? (Please don't deflect, just be a man, nut up and give a straightforward answer).

Wear mask = avoid airborne transmission.

Social distance = avoid contact transmission...airborne particles still a threat...thus wear mask.

As you probably know, here are your options for remaining open:

1) Everyone wears a bubble boy suit and runs freely skipping about; virus goes away in about 30 days due to no physical contact.

2) Don't do anything, continue as if nothing is happening. Virus runs rampant and herd immunity is achieved. US remains banned from all other countries for at least the next 3 years while herd immunity takes root. The economy is severely held back due to isolation from other nations, death and sickness.

3) Wear mask and social distance: Airborne germs are largely contained, and social distancing of the recommended 6 ft has limited physical contact. Virus slows to a point where it can possibly be traced and isolated. Disease goes away faster than all other options. Our freedoms and our economy are in the best possible shape given the choices. Can easily remain open if compliance is 99.9%

In hindsight America should never have shutdown. Americans are too fiercely independent to follow any sort of coordinated plan. And too skeptical of their government to believe the leaders that created the plan. And too selfish to sacrifice any freedoms temporarily for the good of their neighbors.
Buddha Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

Buddha Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Short answer: YES, the US should completely re-open if everyone wears a mask, everyone remains 6ft apart, and everyone washes their hands (or alcohol gel) every chance the can get.

But we both know those guidelines will not be followed by a large portion of our fellow citizens.
cms186
Flaming Moderate said:

This isnt a binary situation, masks help stop the spread, they dont stop it completely, the same is true of Social Distancing and thorough Handwashing.

I'm the English Guy
HuMcK
Quote:

In hindsight America should never have shutdown. Americans are too fiercely independent to follow any sort of coordinated plan. And too skeptical of their government to believe the leaders that created the plan. And too selfish to sacrifice any freedoms temporarily for the good of their neighbors.

It's not clear at all to me that we ever had a plan. Far as I can tell, Trump used the crisis to reward cronies, make a lot of noise, not actually do all that much, then declare (false) victory.

It's July, this has been going on since at least March (that's being charitable, it's really January/February), and we still don't have a testing strategy, even an aspirational one on paper. The President doesn't even talk to his chief experts anymore, in fact he's doing oppo dumps on Fauci for god knows what reason.

The lockdowns would have been more effectively utilized by almost literally anyone else besides Trump. We got the worst of both measures: higher unemployment than any of our peers due to lockdown measures, and harder hit by the virus than most of our peers because our lazy ass POTUS squandered the time bought by the lockdowns.
Thee University
bear2be2 said:

We elected Bush, Obama (twice), Trump and now dig up the cadaver Biden for President. That, my friend is beyond description.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
D. C. Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

Buddha Bear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

That makes no sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.