Are We Still The United States?

4,672 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Waco1947
Jack and DP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://peltthepundits.com/2020/06/walsh-it-is-time-to-face-the-facts-we-cannot-be-united
nein51
Been saying that for a while. The only real hope is that what we see is the fringe 5% of each side and that most people are somewhere closer to the middle.
HuMcK
nein51 said:

Been saying that for a while. The only real hope is that what we see is the fringe 5% of each side and that most people are somewhere closer to the middle.

Difference is Dems rebuked their fringe and nominated Biden, but Republicans elevated their fringe to the White House. The GOP is about to elect multiple QAnon believers to Congress, I just don't see that same kind of ideological escalation on the other side.
Jack and DP
HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

Difference is Dems rebuked their fringe and nominated Biden, but Republicans elevated their fringe to the White House. The GOP is about to elect multiple QAnon believers to Congress, I just don't see that same kind of ideological escalation on the other side.

Dems are encouraging demonstrations during a pandemic. Dems have allowed rioters and looters to run wild. I'd call that ideological escalation.
Mothra
HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

That sounds nice and all, but it's far from the truth. You must have missed the reporting on the policy proposals that Biden and Sanders partnered on, and AOC joined in crafting. It's the most extreme radical left wing agenda by any President (or major political party nominee) in American history.

The Dems have not rejected their fringe. They've embraced it to the point it's no longer the fringe.

And it also tells me what many have been suggesting - the wing nuts are going to use old man Biden to try and get their agenda implemented - an agenda that will literally remake America. We will see if they will be successful.
Jack and DP
I think we all have more in common than we believe during these times. But we all need to return to work and school. Sitting around thinking the worst of each other isn't helping.
bularry
Jack and DP said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

Dems are encouraging demonstrations during a pandemic. Dems have allowed rioters and looters to run wild. I'd call that ideological escalation.

Agree. Fringe alive and well on both sides
contrario
HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

You are completely right about the radical right in the Republican Party. However, if you honesty think the Democrats "rebuked" the fringe by nominating the puppet (like seriously, he will likely be full on weekend at Bernie's soon), you are much more gone than I thought. The radical left is alive and well in the Democratic Party. And if you can't see it, your binary thinking is blinding you.

It's easy to cast stones at the other party. It doesn't take much intelligence to do that. But I think we are too dumb as a country to get our own houses in order, which would require some critical thinking. Until we can do that, we will never have real change.
Whiskey Pete
HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

Dementia Joe isn't representative of what your party has become, he's a vestige of the old days that is being propped up and paraded around, in front of the cameras, hoping to fool folks into thinking that the democrats haven't gone off the rails.

You're either too dishonest to admit it or too stupid to see it.

Problem though, the country is/has seen what the democrats are all about now... the rioting, the looting, the chaz or chop and or whatever the hell it's callled. You've done yourself no favors that the last month.
HuMcK
Jack and DP said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

So were Republicans, when their life or death grievance was being told to wear a mask. Hell, POTUS even tweeted support for "liberating" states with Dem governors. Or have y'all just forgotten about that episode?
HuMcK
contrario said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

You are completely right about the radical right in the Republican Party. However, if you honesty think the Democrats "rebuked" the fringe by nominating the puppet (like seriously, he will likely be full on weekend at Bernie's soon), you are much more gone than I thought. The radical left is alive and well in the Democratic Party. And if you can't see it, your binary thinking is blinding you.

It's easy to cast stones at the other party. It doesn't take much intelligence to do that. But I think we are too dumb as a country to get our own houses in order, which would require some critical thinking. Until we can do that, we will never have real change.

I keep seeing the "Biden is a puppet" line trotted out, and it gives me flashbacks of all the times Trump said he agreed with something in negotiations (on camera no less) but had to walk it back later once his GOP handlers told him what they support. It happened on immigration, health care, and guns at least. It also reminds me that Trump used to be on the bandwagon for raising taxes on the rich, but then he stayed completely hands off of tax reform in 2017 while Repubs cut rates.

I would honestly be shocked if Trump came out and articulated a strategy for anything, god knows he has had a lot of chances to do that, meanwhile Biden was the Senate President that helped push the ACA past a 60 vote threshold. One of those guys is a party puppet, the other is an experienced legislator.
Whiskey Pete
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

I keep seeing the "Biden is a puppet" line trotted out, and it gives me flashbacks of all the times Trump said he agreed with something in negotiations (on camera no less) but had to walk it back later once his GOP handlers told him what they support. It happened on immigration, health care, and guns at least. It also reminds me that Trump used to be on the bandwagon for raising taxes on the rich, but then he stayed completely hands off of tax reform in 2017 while Repubs cut rates.

I would honestly be shocked if Trump came out and articulated a strategy for anything, god knows he has had a lot of chances to do that, meanwhile Biden was the Senate President that helped push the ACA past a 60 vote threshold. One of those guys is a party puppet, the other is an experienced legislator.
I bet you had to reach far up in your bowels to pull that bs out of your a-s-s
Flaming Moderate
HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

What specific policies of the Trump Administration lead you to believe it is the "fringe?"

Was Biden during his 40+ years in the Senate, did Biden have a moderate or fringe voting record?

Define "fringe" and then specifically outline how Trump is it?

(I'm giving you credit this is not just emotional dribble and you can actually outline a cogent thought)
curtpenn
HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

The fact you don't see it tells us all we need to know about your vision.

The lunatic left and decades of Bush/Romney/McCain-type Republicans who only paid lip service to truly conservative ideas while taking care of their crony capitalist/1% donor-types gave rise to a disenfranchised middle who went with Trump as the only alternative.
HuMcK
curtpenn said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

The lunatic left and decades of Bush/Romney/McCain-type Republicans who only paid lip service to truly conservative ideas while taking care of their crony capitalist/1% donor-types gave rise to a disenfranchised middle who went with Trump as the only alternative.
The fact that you think Trump cares about the middle class over his donor class says a lot about how gullible you are.
Waco1947
Jack and DP said:

https://peltthepundits.com/2020/06/walsh-it-is-time-to-face-the-facts-we-cannot-be-united
an we be bound by our passion for human rights? Again, no. The situation with rights is much like that with freedom. Those on the Left not just the leftist fringes, but the mainstream of the movement would say that mothers have a "right" to kill their offspring, some Americans have a "right" to the money and property of other Americans, biological males have a "right" to access women's locker rooms, gay couples have a "right" to the goods and services of Christian business owners, and so on. They see a "human right" as a claim always in competition with other rights claims. One right must supersede another. The woman's right to autonomy must trounce, violently, a child's right to live. A college student's right to be free of debt must overpower a wealthy man's right to the fruit of his own labor."

What a twist in logic! Walsh turns a right into some kind of demand on another person
Waco1947
HuMcK
Flaming Moderate said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

What specific policies of the Trump Administration lead you to believe it is the "fringe?"

Was Biden during his 40+ years in the Senate, did Biden have a moderate or fringe voting record?

(I'm giving you credit this is not just emotional dribble and you can actually outline a cogent thought)
His positions on immigration are on the fringe. His support for Confederate monuments is also an appeal to the far-right fringe. The legal defense theories his lawyers use in court are very fringe, and they essentially assert that POTUS (but really just Trump) is completely unaccountable to the law. His first foray into GOP politics was to champion birther-ism, another fringe position. His evolving positions on COVID (it's a dem hoax, it will disappear soon, it's just politics to hurt Trump) are all fringe ideas. His winks and nods to QAnon are appealing to a different (but overlapping) group of far-right fringe morons.

TBH on a lot of issue he doesn't really have positions he sticks to. He'll just tell his audience what they want to hear, then he will consult with his pet nazi Stephen Miller (a fringe icon, just like his cronies Paul Sperry and Jack Posobiec, among others) and do what he says.
Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

I think both parties are absolutely terrible and I'd vote for neither if there was a legitimate choice...but you can't. You are loyal to Dems.

Check yourself.
HuMcK
Miss me with you straw-man bullsht. Just because you brand anyone not up Trump's ass as a leftist, doesn't make it true.

I've literally voted Dem in less than half of the elections I have participated in. I will be voting Dem this election to try and knock this traitorous bum out of Office, because Trump is so terrible that I would crawl over broken glass to vote for a half-empty jar of mayonnaise over him. I suspect in November we will here from a lot of people who think the same.
Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

Miss me with you straw-man bullsht. Just because you brand anyone not up Trump's ass as a leftist, doesn't make it true.

I've literally voted Dem in less than half of the elections I have participated in. I will be voting Dem this election to try and knock this traitorous bum out of Office, because Trump is so terrible that I would crawl over broken glass to vote for a half-empty jar of mayonnaise over him. I suspect in November we will here from a lot of people who think the same.
I firmly believe you'd have the exact same belief if we had a different Republican in office.

You're choosing Marxist leftism by voting Biden because he won't put up a fight against it. Neither will you.

Dems will take over eventually and you have no qualms with them like I do with Republicans. If you do, you don't say it.

You'll wake up one day with no more first and second amendment rights because the Dem electorate is transferring to that agenda as we speak.
PartyBear
The problem here is that the fringe on the "left" as defined on this board is anyone not hard core right wing. The Lincoln Project is considered fringe left, Marxist, whatever other term they can incorrectly think of to describe alot of centrists or any one not a Trumper as well.
Flaming Moderate
HuMcK said:

Flaming Moderate said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

His positions on immigration are on the fringe. His support for Confederate monuments is also an appeal to the far-right fringe. The legal defense theories his lawyers use in court are very fringe, and they essentially assert that POTUS (but really just Trump) is completely unaccountable to the law. His first foray into GOP politics was to champion birther-ism, another fringe position. His evolving positions on COVID (it's a dem hoax, it will disappear soon, it's just politics to hurt Trump) are all fringe ideas. His winks and nods to QAnon are appealing to a different (but overlapping) group of far-right fringe morons.

TBH on a lot of issue he doesn't really have positions he sticks to. He'll just tell his audience what they want to hear, then he will consult with his pet nazi Stephen Miller (a fringe icon, just like his cronies Paul Sperry and Jack Posobiec, among others) and do what he says.
What specific position on immigration is fringe? Enforcing laws is considered fringe? Maybe that's a rational position and the opposition is fringe?

I have not read broad support for Confederate monuments, but I am not sure that either is really a fringe position. There are a lot of people that oppose destroying statues by angry millenial mobs.

I agree on birtherism, but that came from Hillary's camp, so I guess she's fringe too. It is funny the same people demanding to see Trump's tax returns did not feel the need to see Obama's birth certificate. Odd. Also seems odd that it took him so long to produce it. I am not a birther, but a rational person would find it odd that Obama seems like he could not go down to the courthouse and get a birth certificate.

The covid thing was no different than Democrats, so I guess they're fringe too.

Same with sticking to positions. By your definition every politician is fringe.

I'm ignoring your tinfoil conspiracy insanity.
curtpenn
HuMcK said:

curtpenn said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

The fact that you think Trump cares about the middle class over his donor class says a lot about how gullible you are.
You misrepresent (or, perhaps, being generous, you misunderstand) my position/point. Never made any claims about what Trump cares about. Try harder.
curtpenn
Waco1947 said:

Jack and DP said:

an we be bound by our passion for human rights? Again, no. The situation with rights is much like that with freedom. Those on the Left not just the leftist fringes, but the mainstream of the movement would say that mothers have a "right" to kill their offspring, some Americans have a "right" to the money and property of other Americans, biological males have a "right" to access women's locker rooms, gay couples have a "right" to the goods and services of Christian business owners, and so on. They see a "human right" as a claim always in competition with other rights claims. One right must supersede another. The woman's right to autonomy must trounce, violently, a child's right to live. A college student's right to be free of debt must overpower a wealthy man's right to the fruit of his own labor."

What a twist in logic! Walsh turns a right into some kind of demand on another person
He doesn't "turn" anything. Merely points out the consequences. Look in the mirror for the twist.
curtpenn
PartyBear said:

The problem here is that the fringe on the "left" as defined on this board is anyone not hard core right wing. The Lincoln Project is considered fringe left, Marxist, whatever other term they can incorrectly think of to describe alot of centrists or any one not a Trumper as well.
So says the lefty fringe member.
Mothra
PartyBear said:

I haven't seen anyone claim the Lincoln Project is "fringe left." They're not conservative (nor Republican, anymore), that much is for certain. But fringe left? Nah.
Jack and DP
Flaming Moderate
Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

I haven't seen anyone claim the Lincoln Project is "fringe left." They're not conservative (nor Republican, anymore), that much is for certain. But fringe left? Nah.
I just thought they were the GOP Establishment mad because they lost their seat at the big-kid table.
Forest Bueller_bf
Jack and DP said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

Dems openly elected multiple people who are hard pushing socialism. There's that.

AOC quoted that todays millenials were the first generation of Americans who have never seen prosperity.

Quote:

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez recently said to Newsweek talking about the millennial generation, "An entire generation which is now becoming one of the largest electorates in America came of age and never saw American prosperity."
That is the most spoiled, pampered, privledged, everybody gets a medal for doing nothing, generation ever on the face of the earth and that is her insane take on them. When the democrats get her in check I will listen.

Trump isn't even a Republican, multiple democratic leaning states narrowly voted for Trump over Clinton, that is why he won. He is an opportunist who won on a populist agenda. He isn't a Republican.
Flaming Moderate
It is odd how people see things so differently. I do not think one side is evil or good and most people believe their side is moral and intellectually correct. It is amazing how people can see the world so differently, but I think it is the ability of us to hide in our echo chambers and not really engage diverse POV.
ScruffyD
what many of you dont see is an almost ceremonial opposition from Democrats, as if this were some form of performance or dance between them and the Republicans - and yet you have such blind rage toward them.

I see very little effectiveness on the Democratic side, yet you would think they'd been running all branches of Government forever. Sure they impeached Trump and investigated him. What has that yielded? Yet they've also allowed McConnell to fill judicial seats all across the land with very little fight.

this is one of the most ineffective and corrupt administrations in some time, if not ever. led by a man who wears a girdle, makeup, some form of lifts or stilts, is no more coherent that Biden, likely abuses adderall at best, is a sexual predator, tax cheat, is making money off being president, cannot run a charity in the state of New York, and yet this election is way too close to call. and i am not even getting into everything involving him.

Antifa and all of the other monsters you fear are under your bed are really not part of this. I am talking about your garden variety Democratic party. What a mess.

contrario
HuMcK said:

contrario said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

What about the rest of my post? You conceding that the dems still have a radical group in the party?

And Biden absolutely is a puppet. The Democrats know they can't beat Trump if they roll out a radical democrat that is more in line with their beliefs, so they have to roll out the most moderate candidate they can fine. Biden is moderate to win middle America and beat a Trump to give the office back to the Democrats and the Democrats know he'll do as he is told once he's there.
Flaming Moderate
ScruffyD said:

this is one of the most ineffective and corrupt administrations in some time, if not ever. led by a man who wears a girdle, makeup, some form of lifts or stilts, is no more coherent that Biden, likely abuses adderall at best, is a sexual predator, tax cheat, is making money off being president, cannot run a charity in the state of New York, and yet this election is way too close to call. and i am not even getting into everything involving him.
Do you have specific examples of corruption and ineffective? And I mean actual, proven instances not "Russian hackers" and "Ukrainian phone calls." On a lot of these discussions, people make these broad, emotional accusations but struggle to actually identify and describe specifics. I tried to start a thread to consider issues, but that worked out great LOL.

I genuinely find it hard to believe this is one of the most ineffective and corruption administrations in some time, if not ever, but I am open to have my mind changed.
ScruffyD
the payments to stormy daniels and the other lady were illegal.

he had about 3000 conflict of interest instances in his first year in office, they are here:

https://www.citizensforethics.org/trump-conflicts-of-interest-tracking/

I will ignore the obvious incompetence, but what can you cite as major accomplishments of his? Yes they have reshaped the courts. OK. Tax relief. OK. Prison reform? Sure. Some of these could have been done in the first year. The courts maybe not.

What else? How has he helped your life? And I am not looking for platitudes about how he stands up for Christianity and it is ok to say merry christmas again.

Keep in mind he had control of all branches his first two years in office.
cinque
Jack and DP said:

HuMcK said:

nein51 said:

The protests were organic in their origins and grew from there. We chose Biden. You chose a chaos candidate and he has not disappointed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.