Seattle City Council Moves To Ban Police

5,148 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by whiterock
Jack and DP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://christopherrufo.com/seattle-city-council-moves-to-abolish-the-police/
Malbec
It's as if they have been putting something in the water in Seattle that has turned these people into zombies.
ScottS
Let's see how this turns out....
riflebear
But the Dems on here said that they didn't really mean 'abolish'
Booray
Insanity.

It will end up being like that old Kurt Russell movie where all the criminals lived together on an island.
Robert Wilson
I hope they do it. Let's see what happens. This is what federalism and local control are all about. I enjoyed watching their autonomous zone police itself.
Booray
Robert Wilson said:

I hope they do it. Let's see what happens. This is what federalism and local control are all about. I enjoyed watching their autonomous zone police itself.
Except that I have friends living in Seattle, I would agree with you.

Property insurance is going to be hard to come by there.
Robert Wilson
Booray said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yeah, I'm kind of tongue in cheek with that comment (but not totally). If you're a sane person living in Seattle, you should seriously consider moving. Your local governance is going to hell.

But, hey, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. Maybe all these extreme leftists are correct. Only one way to find out for sure. Let 'er rip. I do think we should largely give local governments the ability to govern in the way they see fit. All those various experiments let us see what works. And different things work in different places at different times.

All that said, if I lived in Seattle, I would be marketing my house and deciding where I was going to live next.
trey3216
Booray said:

Robert Wilson said:

The Rolling Stones made a pretty good song about 53 years ago that will help some folks understand
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Booray
Robert Wilson said:

Booray said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yeah, I'm kind of tongue in cheek with that comment (but not totally). If you're a sane person living in Seattle, you should seriously consider moving. Your local governance is going to hell.

But, hey, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. Maybe all these extreme leftists are correct. Only one way to find out for sure. Let 'er rip. I do think we should largely give local governments the ability to govern in the way they see fit. All those various experiments let us see what works. And different things work in different places at different times.

All that said, if I lived in Seattle, I would be marketing my house and deciding where I was going to live next.
I wonder when the next city council election in Seattle is?. There is no way that a majority of voters support this nonsense.

Just looked it up-no one rotates off until 12/31/2021; at that point it is only two members out of nine. The other seven are there until 21/31/2023. Seattle may be screwed.
midgett
Booray said:

Robert Wilson said:

Booray said:

Robert Wilson said:

I wonder when the next city council election in Seattle is?. There is no way that a majority of voters support this nonsense.

Just looked it up-no one rotates off until 12/31/2021; at that point it is only two members out of nine. The other seven are there until 21/31/2023. Seattle may be screwed.
Yikes. Good info.
Jack Bauer
The Seattle PD resembles "white supremacy" as their police chief is a black woman.

Good luck, Seattle. That CHOP zone sure showed how well things go without the cops.
Redbrickbear
"Trauma-informed, gender-affirming, anti-racist praxis"

Of all the crimes that liberalism is guilty of...the crimes they have perpetrated against the English language might be the worst.
Redbrickbear
Honestly Seattle is one of the cities that might be able to get away with limited police (for a while anyway)

The demographic breakdown of the city is:
White: 69.5%
Asian: 13.8%

So 83% of the city is white or asian...and only 7% black (half the national average). The median income of the city is $93,481. And it has many more times the number of college grads per-population than many other cities.

Basically its a strange place with lots of overeducated and well off people. They can afford to fall down the liberal rabbit hole for a while at least.
Canada2017
Got to believe the state supreme court will find a way to limit this insanity.
Bruin
Booray said:

Robert Wilson said:

Booray said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sad to see,. A beautiful city that's being destroyed by absolute lunatic leadership. Even if you want to move, property values will be taking a hit.
Robert Wilson
Redbrickbear said:

Basically its a strange place with lots of overeducated and well off people. They can afford to fall down the liberal rabbit hole for a while at least.
That was my thinking ... the quicker you move the better.
Canada2017
Never liked Seattle.

Horrible weather , grimy buildings and dour people .

Vancouver shares similar weather but is far more attractive.
Edmond Bear
Redbrickbear said:

Honestly Seattle is one of the cities that might be able to get away with limited police (for a while anyway)

I have to be reading this wrong because it sounds like you are trying to say that there aren't as many black people in Seattle so they do not need as many police.

That cannot be right. Help me out here.

Jack and DP
Jack and DP
Whiskey Pete
Jack and DP said:

Where's quash asking what make you think this is a black lives matter march?
Jack Bauer
Boarded up businesses
Trash everywhere
Graffiti
Segregated tribes
**** wherever you'd like.

Welcome to Seattle!!

SIC EM 94
Edmond Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

I have to be reading this wrong because it sounds like you are trying to say that there aren't as many black people in Seattle so they do not need as many police.

I think you are reading it right. When blacks commit a much higher percentage of crime, despite being a much lower percentage of the overall population, it makes perfect sense.
BellCountyBear
I just hope they're not all moving to Texas.
Redbrickbear
Edmond Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Its actually very sad that this community is beset by crime and social problems. But the facts are the facts.
And we can argue until we are blue in the face about why these issues are systemic but...

Black Americans: 13%

Murder: 53.3%
Robbery: 54.2%
Car Theft: 32.3%
Forgery: 31.2%
Prostitution: 38.8%
Gambling: 48.6%
Rape: 28.6%

Edmond Bear
SIC EM 94 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

I think you are reading it right. When blacks commit a much higher percentage of crime, despite being a much lower percentage of the overall population, it makes perfect sense.

Are you suggesting that the color of skin is relevant to likelihood to commit a crime? And, there is not something else that may be driving higher crime rates?

I'm asking because on it's face, your assertion is shockingly racist. We're not talking microaggression or cultural humility racist. We're talking white hood, Robert Byrd racist.

So, help me understand what you mean by this so other people don't get the wrong impression of what Redbrick or you are suggesting.

Booray
This is the same argument that Randolph and Mortimer had.

Edmond Bear
Redbrickbear said:

Edmond Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Its actually very sad that this community is beset by crime and social problems. But the facts are the facts.
And we can argue until we are blue in the face about why these issues are systemic but...

Black Americans: 13%

Murder: 53.3%
Robbery: 54.2%
Car Theft: 32.3%
Forgery: 31.2%
Prostitution: 38.8%
Gambling: 48.6%
Rape: 28.6%

Correlation is not causation. You can't just throw up two sets of numbers that appear the correlate and suggest that one causes the other.

SIC EM 94
Edmond Bear said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Are you suggesting that the color of skin is relevant to likelihood to commit a crime? And, there is not something else that may be driving higher crime rates?

I'm asking because on it's face, your assertion is shockingly racist. We're not talking microaggression or cultural humility racist. We're talking white hood, Robert Byrd racist.

So, help me understand what you mean by this so other people don't get the wrong impression of what Redbrick or you are suggesting.

The color of someone's skin does not make them commit a crime.

Are you suggesting blacks do not commit a disproportionately high percentage of crime, in relation to the overall population? The statistics show that they clearly do. The fact that you appear to be denying that suggests that you are more interested in reassigning blame than anything else.
Edmond Bear
SIC EM 94 said:

Edmond Bear said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

The color of someone's skin does not make them commit a crime.

Are you suggesting blacks do not commit a disproportionately high percentage of crime, in relation to the overall population? The statistics show that they clearly do. The fact that you appear to be denying that suggests that you are more interested in reassigning blame than anything else.

I live in a predominantly black community that has almost no crime. It is exurban, on the edge of a metro, and not urban.

I'm saying there are a variety of factors that relate to crime but not the color of skin.

According to the FBI, crime is related to:

• Population density and degree of urbanization.
  • Variations in composition of the population, particularly youth concentration.
  • Stability of the population with respect to residents' mobility, commuting patterns, and transient factors.
  • Modes of transportation and highway system.
  • Economic conditions, including median income, poverty level, and job availability.
  • Cultural factors and educational, recreational, and religious characteristics.
  • Family conditions with respect to divorce and family cohesiveness.
  • Climate.
  • Effective strength of law enforcement agencies.
  • Administrative and investigative emphases of law enforcement.
  • Policies of other components of the criminal justice system (i.e., prosecutorial, judicial, correctional, and probational).
  • Citizens' attitudes toward crime.
  • Crime reporting practices of the citizenry.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/nibrs/2012/resources/variables-affecting-crime

You might consider that as of 1910, 90% of Blacks in the US lived in the South. After that time, a huge migration occurred driven by racism in the south and available jobs in the North. By 1970, about 50% of blacks in the US remained in the South. In the 60's and 70's drugs entered the scene creating an epidemic of drug usage in poor urban areas. In the 80's, we started the War on Drugs which lead to huge increases in the prison population of urban blacks. We doubled down in the 90's with Biden's terrible mandatory sentencing laws hitting black families the hardest. Now, urban black males were going to jail for low-level crimes. Yes, the did crime and deserve punishment. But, Biden didn't just punish black males, he punished black moms and black kids even more.

At the same time, consider that wealth, which does correlate strongly to positive educational outcomes, access to networks, and access to capital is generational. My grandfather (I'm white) had access to capital, commercial warehousing, and a network that his black peers did not. My grandfather started an HVAC company in Amarillo and was able to build a small amount of wealth which enabled my father to go to college. My father was able to get a good job and work his way into a CFO role which enabled me to go to Baylor. I was able to build more wealth because of my job and business ventures.

The black community in the 70's and even into the 80's did not have access to capital and housing like my grandfather had because of racism. No doubt, there are instances of black families that have access to generational wealth, but generally that is not the case across the community.

My answer is that - yes - crime does occur in black communities at a disproportionate rate. However, there is ALOT going on that has nothing to do with the color of skin.

To say that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime and leave it with no other explanation is plain uneducated racism.

Edmond Bear

I'll add that you can take the microaggression and cultural humility BS and throw it in the river.

Every person on the planet deals with microaggressions all of the time, regardless of race. It could be height, weight, hair color or whatever. We passive-aggressively criticize people who are not exactly like ourselves just to make ourselves feel better.

We suck at being perfect because we are fallen people. We have to look at Christ for perfection.

Canada2017
Is it racist to suggest a 70% illegitimate birth rate might have something to do with the disproportionately high black crime rate ?

Jack Bauer
You can't make this up...white people want black people unemployed.

Seattle Mayor

Seattle City Council

Seattle Police Chief

Robert Wilson
At least they identified the racist force in the room
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.