Facebook refuses to help Trump spread disinformation - a bet I would take

4,635 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sam Lowry
George Truett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothra said:

George Truett said:

Unbelievable that Facebook has to take down a post from the President of the United States because the information is so false.

And he's supposed to be leading us through this thing!

I'm thankful we're not facing an enemy attack or something!

Oh yes, agreed, amazing that a left wing outlet would take down a Trump post on the eve of an election. Simply astonishing!
A Trump post that was patently false.

God help us!
Whiskey Pete
cinque said:

BearFan33 said:

The old adage is true in Jinx case.

If you want to make a conservative mad, tell them lies

if you want to make a liberal mad, tell them the truth.
If that's true, why aren't conservatives mad at Trump since all he does it lie to you?
why aren't left wingnuts mad at biden for being a liar and a racist?
Whiskey Pete
Friscobear said:

cinque said:

BearFan33 said:

The old adage is true in Jinx case.

If you want to make a conservative mad, tell them lies

if you want to make a liberal mad, tell them the truth.
If that's true, why aren't conservatives mad at Trump since all he does it lie to you?
Conservatives just know that he does it to rile you up.

Oh, wait! Was this a rhetorical question?
cinque's entire existence is rhetorical
Whiskey Pete
Jinx 2 said:

Green My Eyes said:

So if I catch it, but my immune system handles it without difficulty or completely asymptomatically, then I might say that I was almost immune to it. It had not effect on me.

Saying so does not indicate that I couldn't be a carrier of it and infectious.
Trump said what he said to imply that it was safe for children to go back to school.

It's clearly not true, but you and other conservatives are engaging in some serious mental gymnastics to make it true even if the dog won't hunt, the shoe don't fit and the check ain't in the mail.

But, based on what you've said, what that means is that he really doesn't care if kids bring it home to their families, who might have health conditions that make exposure to covid really dangerous.

The clear implication here is that Trump cares a lot more about optics--kids are in school! Life's back to normal!--than he does about the health and safety of the families of school-aged children.

Are you all OK with that?
It's not safe to go back to school. Flu season is around the corner, and we all know that the flu kills more children per year than covid.
Gold Tron
Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Estimated Population - 31.7%
Coronavirus Deaths - 0.2%
Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%
Is this supposed to imply that it's OK for Trump to lie and say kids don't get it or carry it?

They take it home to their parents and grandparents. They give it to their teachers. Kids can't live on their own or self-isolate; they're cared for by adults of all ages, Who are vulnerable and some of whom have comorbidities that makes Covid more dangerous.

My question for the group is, why is it so important for Trump to be right about this that you are willing to completely ignore the growing evidence that he's really been wrong about it and that he's doubling down on his mistakes to make the outbreak worse?
This isn't directed at you specifically but here goes. I have been in the hospital since early March taking care of COVID patients. Do you know how many hospitalized children have been admitted at the institutions in which I practice throughout? NONE. I also know of more than two dozen kids that are friends of my children that have had COVID and none of them had more than a fever and some lethargy. Almost half of them were tested as a precaution because they are summer camp counselors and they were shocked that they tested positive because they had no complaints at all.

My point is that so many people get their information from online "experts" and then when something is posted that disagrees with those sources, they are dismissed. I know what I am talking about. So do many other on this board. We may not all agree on everything but we are in agreement that children are more likely to die from hundreds of causes than from COVID and they are best served by going back to school.

As to the bolded above, when he tried to close our borders early on, he was labeled as xenophobic and racist. That would have saved lives. If only people had listened to the bad orange man then.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Mothra
George Truett said:

Mothra said:

George Truett said:

Unbelievable that Facebook has to take down a post from the President of the United States because the information is so false.

Oh yes, agreed, amazing that a left wing outlet would take down a Trump post on the eve of an election. Simply astonishing!

God help us!
Well, except if you look at the numbers, given the death rate of kids, it's actually kind of true, but if you say so. Spin away and ignore the science that disagrees with you, I guess.
Sam Lowry
Jinx 2 said:

Green My Eyes said:

So if I catch it, but my immune system handles it without difficulty or completely asymptomatically, then I might say that I was almost immune to it. It had not effect on me.

Saying so does not indicate that I couldn't be a carrier of it and infectious.
Trump said what he said to imply that it was safe for children to go back to school.

It's clearly not true, but you and other conservatives are engaging in some serious mental gymnastics to make it true even if the dog won't hunt, the shoe don't fit and the check ain't in the mail.

But, based on what you've said, what that means is that he really doesn't care if kids bring it home to their families, who might have health conditions that make exposure to covid really dangerous.

The clear implication here is that Trump cares a lot more about optics--kids are in school! Life's back to normal!--than he does about the health and safety of the families of school-aged children.

Are you all OK with that?
I'm not okay with it, but I don't think the post should have been censored. It was a bad argument badly phrased on Trump's part. That's different from misinformation.
Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%
Is this supposed to imply that it's OK for Trump to lie and say kids don't get it or carry it?

They take it home to their parents and grandparents. They give it to their teachers. Kids can't live on their own or self-isolate; they're cared for by adults of all ages, Who are vulnerable and some of whom have comorbidities that makes Covid more dangerous.

My question for the group is, why is it so important for Trump to be right about this that you are willing to completely ignore the growing evidence that he's really been wrong about it and that he's doubling down on his mistakes to make the outbreak worse?
This isn't directed at you specifically but here goes. I have been in the hospital since early March taking care of COVID patients. Do you know how many hospitalized children have been admitted at the institutions in which I practice throughout? NONE. I also know of more than two dozen kids that are friends of my children that have had COVID and none of them had more than a fever and some lethargy. Almost half of them were tested as a precaution because they are summer camp counselors and they were shocked that they tested positive because they had no complaints at all.

My point is that so many people get their information from online "experts" and then when something is posted that disagrees with those sources, they are dismissed. I know what I am talking about. So do many other on this board. We may not all agree on everything but we are in agreement that children are more likely to die from hundreds of causes than from COVID and they are best served by going back to school.

As to the bolded above, when he tried to close our borders early on, he was labeled as xenophobic and racist. That would have saved lives. If only people had listened to the bad orange man then.
This doesn't address the main point, which is that children may spread it to teachers and relatives.
Jack Bauer
Gov Cuomo and Chuck Schumer support children going back to school...so there's that.

Gold Tron
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

This doesn't address the main point, which is that children may spread it to teachers and relatives.

There are several studies that suggest this mode of transmission is less likely than it would seem. I have referenced my experiences. What are yours?
Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

There are several studies that suggest this mode of transmission is less likely than it would seem. I have referenced my experiences. What are yours?
And there are other (likely better) studies that say different. What experience do you have specifically with the issue of transmission by children?
GrowlTowel
George Truett said:

Gruvin said:

George Truett said:

not his best moment but he has been right on other things...

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext
This has been disproven.

This medication doesn't help. But thanks for playing!

Doctor now? Seeing as you're a piss poor minister I am glad you have a landing ground.
BearFan33
Holy flip flop Batman

The internal polling is back and get those kids into school ASAP!
4th and Inches
George Truett said:

Gruvin said:

George Truett said:

not his best moment but he has been right on other things...

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext
This has been disproven.

This medication doesn't help. But thanks for playing!
it has? Tell that to the people at henry ford study...

Hope you stay safe out there!
Gold Tron
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

And there are other (likely better) studies that say different. What experience do you have specifically with the issue of transmission by children?

"Likely" lol. What experience do you have AT ALL? I have told you already that I have known more than a dozen "children" (under 20) that had ZERO symptoms. They were tested as a protocol. I have told you that in more than 6 months we have had ZERO children hospitalized. What have you told me? NOTHIBG.
Gold Tron
George Truett said:

Mothra said:

George Truett said:

God help us!

You are an embarrassment to ministry. Don't start playing doctor and diminish my hard work.
Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

"Likely" lol. What experience do you have AT ALL? I have told you already that I have known more than a dozen "children" (under 20) that had ZERO symptoms. They were tested as a protocol. I have told you that in more than 6 months we have had ZERO children hospitalized. What have you told me? NOTHIBG.
That's great. Now what about my question?
Gold Tron
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

I answered it. In my experience of taking care of Covid patients and being around Covid + children, under the age of 20, I have seen ZERO transmission to their siblings or their parents. Now please tell me about your wealth of non-medical experience.
Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

I answered it. In my experience of taking care of Covid patients and being around Covid + children, under the age of 20, I have seen ZERO transmission to their siblings or their parents. Now please tell me about your wealth of non-medical experience.
Thanks. Get back to us when you've studied 65,000 patients instead of a dozen, including symptomatic and asymptomatic.
Gold Tron
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

Thanks. Get back to us when you've studied 65,000 patients instead of a dozen, including symptomatic and asymptomatic.

Is that what you've studied or are you relying on people you have never met?
Baylor3216
Jack Bauer said:

Here is the "whacky" right wing CDC's guidelines. Did Facebook take this down yet?

Quote:

The Importance of Reopening America's Schools this Fall

Aside from a child's home, no other setting has more influence on a child's health and well-being than their school. The in-person school environment does the following:
  • provides educational instruction;
  • supports the development of social and emotional skills;
  • creates a safe environment for learning;
  • addresses nutritional needs; and
  • facilitates physical activity.

COVID-19 and Children
The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children. Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults. To put this in perspective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as of July 17, 2020, the United States reported that children and adolescents under 18 years old account for under 7 percent of COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths.[url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html#fn5][5][/url] Although relatively rare, flu-related deaths in children occur every year. From 2004-2005 to 2018-2019, flu-related deaths in children reported to CDC during regular flu seasons ranged from 37 to 187 deaths. During the H1N1pandemic (April 15, 2009 to October 2, 2010), 358 pediatric deaths were reported to CDC.

So far in this pandemic, deaths of children are less than in each of the last five flu seasons, with only 64.[url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html#footnote2][/url] Additionally, some children with certain underlying medical conditions, however, are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.*

Scientific studies suggest that COVID-19 transmission among children in schools may be low. International studies that have assessed how readily COVID-19 spreads in schools also reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low. Based on current data, the rate of infection among younger school children, and from students to teachers, has been low, especially if proper precautions are followed. There have also been few reports of children being the primary source of COVID-19 transmission among family members.[url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html#fn6][6][/url],[url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html#fn7][7][/url],[url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html#fn8][8][/url] This is consistent with data from both virus and antibody testing, suggesting that children are not the primary drivers of COVID-19 spread in schools or in the community.[url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html#fn9][9][/url],[url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html#fn10][10][/url],[url=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html#fn11][11][/url] No studies are conclusive, but the available evidence provides reason to believe that in-person schooling is in the best interest of students, particularly in the context of appropriate mitigation measures similar to those implemented at essential workplaces.

Wait what? < 150 people under the age of 18 have died from the worst disease of our lifetime the last 6 months? I bet they refused to wear a mask

More than that have died from alcohol poisoning the last 6 months.

This is all making sense.
Friscobear
Jack Bauer said:

Gov Cuomo and Chuck Schumer support children going back to school...so there's that.

HE'S NOT WEARING A MASK!!! WHAT KIND OF ROLE MODEL IS HE?!?
Gold Tron
Friscobear said:

Jack Bauer said:

HE'S NOT WEARING A MASK!!! WHAT KIND OF ROLE MODEL IS HE?!?

He isn't one for moral people.
Jack Bauer
Please inform Jinx that Bill DeBlasio is pro-death to students!

Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

Wow, you've met actual doctors? I had no idea.

The study I linked is one of the largest and most recent. Doesn't necessarily mean it's correct, but there it is. Thanks again for the semi-related anecdote, and do chime in if there's anything else.
Gold Tron
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

The study I linked is one of the largest and most recent. Doesn't necessarily mean it's correct, but there it is. Thanks again for the semi-related anecdote, and do chime in if there's anything else.

You mean the fact that I actually take care of Covid patients for a living as an actual MD counts for nothing?
4th and Inches
Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

You mean the fact that I actually take care of Covid patients for a living as an actual MD counts for nothing?
nah, that cant be it... what else you got?
Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

It counts for whatever it allows you to bring to the discussion. I'm often impressed by the nuanced arguments of lawyers who post here. I'm much less impressed by "hey dummy, I have a law degree." So there's a fair range of possibilities.
Gold Tron
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

It counts for whatever it allows you to bring to the discussion. I'm often impressed by the nuanced arguments of lawyers who post on this board. I'm much less impressed by "hey dummy, I have a law degree." So there's a fair range of possibilities.

You believe what you read. I'll trust what I have experienced. I cannot convince you. I only hope you are as confident in your chosen profession as you are in medicine.
Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

It counts for whatever it allows you to bring to the discussion. I'm often impressed by the nuanced arguments of lawyers who post on this board. I'm much less impressed by "hey dummy, I have a law degree." So there's a fair range of possibilities.

You believe what you read. I'll trust what I have experienced. I cannot convince you. I only hope you are as confident in your chosen profession as you are in medicine.
The experience you've described on a small scale is not inconsistent with the results of the study. That's the whole point.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

The experience you've described on a small scale is not inconsistent with the results of the study. That's the whole point.
he didnt get to pick and choose his participants or have an option manipulate the results or failed to release study results that gave the wrong conclusion. Gold tron is real life decisions with real consequences.
Sam Lowry
Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

he didnt get to pick and choose his participants or have an option manipulate the results or failed to release study results that gave the wrong conclusion. Gold tron is real life decisions with real consequences.
When all else fails, resort to science-bashing. Par for the course here lately.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

science bashing? Hardly...

In all things, the science of academia doesnt always jive with the experience of the real world.
Sam Lowry
Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

In all things, the science of academia doesnt always jive with the experience of the real world.
My real world experience tells me the earth is flat. That's why we need science.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

Jinx 2 said:

Texasjeremy said:

PEOPLE 24 & UNDER

Pneumonia Deaths - 0.4%
Flu Deaths - 2.4%

My real world experience tells me the earth is flat. That's why we need science.
here is some...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586350/

"Many trials were still not published 5 y after FDA approval. Discrepancies between the trial information reviewed by the FDA and information found in published trials tended to lead to more favorable presentations of the NDA drugs in the publications. Thus, the information that is readily available in the scientific literature to health care professionals is incomplete and potentially biased."
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.