Record first time gun owners

2,019 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whiskey Pete
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting that African Americans account for the largest percentage jump in gun ownership and there is a surge of ownership in Pennsylvania..

This year a record five million law-abiding Americans, like us, have become new gun owners. Many don't fit the stereotype: African-Americans account for the largest percentage jump in gun ownership, while women are 40% of first-time buyers. These new buyers join an even larger demographic: the 43% of American households that already have a gun.
The record gun sales for 2020 may have implications for swing states in November as well. In Pennsylvania alone, the National Shooting Sports Foundation reckons there are 276,648 first-time gun owners this year. To put this in perspective, in 2016 Donald Trump won Pennsylvania by 44,292 votes.

Now, I appreciate how unlikely it is that I will ever reach for a gun to defend my home or myself. But after watching the mayhem that's taken over so many city streets I wonder, probably with plenty of my fellow first-time gun buyers, what alternative I'd have if ever I had to make that terrible 911 calland it went unanswered?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/confessions-of-a-new-gun-owner-11600124943?mod=trending_now_pos4
midgett
I posted this last night....guess I need a better Subject Title. LOL.

The record gun sales for 2020 may have implications for swing states in November as well. In Pennsylvania alone, the National Shooting Sports Foundation reckons there are 276,648 first-time gun owners this year. To put this in perspective, in 2016 Donald Trump won Pennsylvania by 44,292 votes.

Assuming those figures are correct -- seem high to me -- I would imagine more are Republican voters than Democratic voters.

Thoughts?
Osodecentx
midgett said:

Assuming those figures are correct -- seem high to me -- I would imagine more are Republican voters than Democratic voters.

Thoughts?
Sorry for jumping your claim. I would not have posted if I saw it.

Where is your thread and I'll post there?
midgett
ttt
PartyBear
Probably the other 60%-65% feeling they better be as armed up as the 35-40%. Trump has all but called for civil war if he loses and frankly has called for arms to be taken up against those opposed to him if he wins. Guns and the second amendment aren't just for right wing white folks guys.
SIC EM 94
PartyBear said:

Probably the other 60%-65% feeling they better be as armed up as the 35-40%. Trump has all but called for civil war if he loses and frankly has called for arms to be taken up against those opposed to him if he wins. Guns aren't just for right wing white folks guys.

You are one dumb SOB...and a liar to top it off. Please share a link where Trump has "called for civil war" and "called for arms to be taken up against those opposed to him"!
Username checks out
Looks like president "I should get a 3rd term" has put the gun tards on high alert, and with good reason too.
midgett
PartyBear said:

Probably the other 60%-65% feeling they better be as armed up as the 35-40%. Trump has all but called for civil war if he loses and frankly has called for arms to be taken up against those opposed to him if he wins. Guns and the second amendment aren't just for right wing white folks guys.
Guess you didn't watch this video where almost every Democratic leader encouraged violence.
https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/71549
Username checks out
midgett said:

PartyBear said:

Guess you didn't watch this video where almost every Democratic leader encouraged violence.

I'd be upset if I were a right winger, thinking all this time I had the monopoly on stupid ass gut nuts
4th and Inches
PartyBear said:

here is a link to Trump calling for riots if he loses
PartyBear
Username checks out said:

midgett said:

PartyBear said:

I'd be upset if I were a right winger, thinking all this time I had the monopoly on stupid ass gut nuts

Looks like they are.
SIC EM 94
PartyBear said:

midgett said:

PartyBear said:

Looks like they are.

Still looking for that Trump link?
BaylorOkie
SIC EM 94 said:

PartyBear said:

midgett said:

PartyBear said:

Looks like they are.

Still looking for that Trump link?

Don't hold your breath. He and Truett don't back up any of their nonsense. No one takes them seriously.
PartyBear
Your projection provides comedy. Thank you for more comedic relief.
Florda_mike
PartyBear said:

^^^ Liar, but you are stating what democrats are doing as they've stated there'll be turmoil IF Trump wins as I'm sure you well know

Come on man, your lying is blatantly obvious!
Florda_mike

Looks like president "I should get a 3rd term" has put the gun tards on high alert, and with good reason too.

How old are you?
Osodecentx
PartyBear said:

Trump has all but called for civil war if he loses and frankly has called for arms to be taken up against those opposed to him if he wins.
Party
Bold claim here. Multiple requests for a link.

Link?
4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

PartyBear said:

Trump has all but called for civil war if he loses and frankly has called for arms to be taken up against those opposed to him if he wins.
Party

Link?
You just have to read the words that party used... "Trump has all BUT called for"

#didNotCould
Osodecentx
Gruvin said:

Osodecentx said:

PartyBear said:

Party

Link?
You just have to read the words that party used... "Trump has all BUT called for"

#didNotCould
He's usually more credible...
GoneGirl
For the record, this is the first time ever I briefly entertained the thought of buying a firearm. I fear violence more if Trump doesn't win than if he does.

But I only considered it for a split second. I don't like guns and I'd be an awful shot. My daughter has bear spray from leading backpacking trips in the Arctic Circle; I've got a can by the back door and one in the car. First time I've ever had anything more than a pair of scissors in the car for self-protection.

Here's a link describing this trend: https://www.npr.org/2020/07/16/891608244/protests-and-pandemic-spark-record-gun-sales

Usually, when gun sales spike it's because an event such as a school shooting is seen to make gun control laws more likely. And it's gun enthusiasts, people who already own guns, who are going out and buying more.

But something different is happening now. "We've surveyed retailers who tell us that about 40% of their customers are first-time buyers," Keane says.

Michael Weeks, the owner of the Georgia Gun Store in Gainesville, says from what he's seeing, "most of it is new gun owners." He says he's not doing much business with people who already own guns. And he says his new customers are people of all different races and income levels.

"We see a wide diversity of people come to the door," he says. "It's all over the board."

Kevin Cummins, who runs Advantage Firearms Education and Training in St. Louis, says he's seeing all kinds of people showing up to take classes.

A hospital nurse was a recent customer. "She had just recently purchased a firearm and did not know how to load the firearm, didn't know anything about it, was scared to death of it," Cummins says.

Millions of people suddenly owning a gun for the first time has Chipman, the former ATF agent, worried that many won't get proper training. He says previous spikes in gun sales have resulted in more accidental deaths including children.

And he says people shouldn't be brandishing and waving guns around like he sees in YouTube videos. He says that can provoke violence. "I was taught that you don't pull your gun unless you intend to use it."

Even though Cummins runs a firearms school, he tells people that before getting a gun, they should get a can of pepper gel. That's similar to pepper spray but it won't blow back in your face. Cummins is also a lieutenant at a local police department.

He says "95% of the situations people are going to encounter with crime do not warrant the use of a firearm." So Cummins says to protect yourself, pepper gel is almost always "a much better tool than a firearm."

XXX

This isn't the link you Snideleys were looking for, but Michael Caputo really stepped in it: From the sound of it, if he were black and lived in Rochester, NY, he'd be in danger of being hooded and asphyxiated for being crazy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/14/us/politics/caputo-virus.html

WASHINGTON The top communications official at the powerful cabinet department in charge of combating the coronavirus made outlandish and false accusations on Sunday that career government scientists were engaging in "sedition" in their handling of the pandemic and that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection after the election.

Michael R. Caputo, the assistant secretary of public affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services, accused the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of harboring a "resistance unit" determined to undermine President Trump, even if that opposition bolsters the Covid-19 death toll.

Mr. Caputo, who has faced intense criticism for leading efforts to warp C.D.C. weekly bulletins to fit Mr. Trump's pandemic narrative, suggested that he personally could be in danger from opponents of the administration. "If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it's going to be hard to get," he urged his followers.

He went further, saying his physical health was in question, and his "mental health has definitely failed."

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
She's BAAACCKKK!!!!!! You have been working your bot, cinque, awfully hard. Glad to see you are giving her a break.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
SIC EM 94
Why do you fear violence more if Trump doesn't win? Conservatives aren't the ones murdering cops, rioting, protesting on highways, looting, burning businesses, assaulting innocent civilians because of their political beliefs or color of their skin.

Are you white, law enforcement, conservative, wealthy? I think it's safe to assume you aren't the one that needs to consider buying a gun.
4th and Inches
SIC EM 94 said:

Why do you fear violence more if Trump doesn't win? Conservatives aren't the ones murdering cops, rioting, protesting on highways, looting, burning businesses, assaulting innocent civilians because of their political beliefs or color of their skin.

Are you white, law enforcement, conservative, wealthy? I think it's safe to assume you aren't the one that needs to consider buying a gun.
You know why she's afraid of a Trump win because the fringe left is going to go crazy
GoneGirl
Gruvin said:

SIC EM 94 said:

You know why she's afraid of a Trump win because the fringe left is going to go crazy
I explicitly stated I fear violence more if Trump doesn't win. Much more. Because Trump will incite it.

I'm tuning out again for a spate because I'm not interested in generating revenue for Jason.

4th and Inches
Jinx 2 said:

Gruvin said:

SIC EM 94 said:

I explicitly stated I fear violence more if Trump doesn't win. Much more. Because Trump will incite it.

I'm tuning out again for a spate because I'm not interested in generating revenue for Jason.

my bad... i mis read it. So you're afraid of the guy who promotes law and order and has endorsements of almost every major police Association in the country... seems legit
cinque
midgett said:

Thoughts?
What the big deal?
Make Racism Wrong Again
4th and Inches
cinque said:

midgett said:

Thoughts?
What the big deal?
some of us enjoy it when people exercise their Second Amendment rights
cinque
Gruvin said:

cinque said:

midgett said:

Thoughts?
What the big deal?
some of us enjoy it when people exercise their Second Amendment rights
People get a giddy about guns.That's hardly news. We value guns more than people. This is America.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Osodecentx
Jinx 2 said:

For the record, this is the first time ever I briefly entertained the thought of buying a firearm. I fear violence more if Trump doesn't win than if he does.

But I only considered it for a split second. I don't like guns and I'd be an awful shot. My daughter has bear spray from leading backpacking trips in the Arctic Circle; I've got a can by the back door and one in the car. First time I've ever had anything more than a pair of scissors in the car for self-protection.

Here's a link describing this trend: https://www.npr.org/2020/07/16/891608244/protests-and-pandemic-spark-record-gun-sales

Usually, when gun sales spike it's because an event such as a school shooting is seen to make gun control laws more likely. And it's gun enthusiasts, people who already own guns, who are going out and buying more.

But something different is happening now. "We've surveyed retailers who tell us that about 40% of their customers are first-time buyers," Keane says.

Michael Weeks, the owner of the Georgia Gun Store in Gainesville, says from what he's seeing, "most of it is new gun owners." He says he's not doing much business with people who already own guns. And he says his new customers are people of all different races and income levels.

"We see a wide diversity of people come to the door," he says. "It's all over the board."

Kevin Cummins, who runs Advantage Firearms Education and Training in St. Louis, says he's seeing all kinds of people showing up to take classes.

A hospital nurse was a recent customer. "She had just recently purchased a firearm and did not know how to load the firearm, didn't know anything about it, was scared to death of it," Cummins says.

Millions of people suddenly owning a gun for the first time has Chipman, the former ATF agent, worried that many won't get proper training. He says previous spikes in gun sales have resulted in more accidental deaths including children.

And he says people shouldn't be brandishing and waving guns around like he sees in YouTube videos. He says that can provoke violence. "I was taught that you don't pull your gun unless you intend to use it."

Even though Cummins runs a firearms school, he tells people that before getting a gun, they should get a can of pepper gel. That's similar to pepper spray but it won't blow back in your face. Cummins is also a lieutenant at a local police department.

He says "95% of the situations people are going to encounter with crime do not warrant the use of a firearm." So Cummins says to protect yourself, pepper gel is almost always "a much better tool than a firearm."

XXX

This isn't the link you Snideleys were looking for, but Michael Caputo really stepped in it: From the sound of it, if he were black and lived in Rochester, NY, he'd be in danger of being hooded and asphyxiated for being crazy.

WASHINGTON The top communications official at the powerful cabinet department in charge of combating the coronavirus made outlandish and false accusations on Sunday that career government scientists were engaging in "sedition" in their handling of the pandemic and that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection after the election.

Michael R. Caputo, the assistant secretary of public affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services, accused the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of harboring a "resistance unit" determined to undermine President Trump, even if that opposition bolsters the Covid-19 death toll.

Mr. Caputo, who has faced intense criticism for leading efforts to warp C.D.C. weekly bulletins to fit Mr. Trump's pandemic narrative, suggested that he personally could be in danger from opponents of the administration. "If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it's going to be hard to get," he urged his followers.

He went further, saying his physical health was in question, and his "mental health has definitely failed."

Thanks for posting. Guns aren't for everyone.

cinque
Osodecentx said:

Jinx 2 said:

XXX

Tell that to mentally ill people who possess them.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Osodecentx
cinque said:

Osodecentx said:

Jinx 2 said:

XXX

Tell that to mentally ill people who possess them.
Sure I will the next time I meet a mentally ill person
GoneGirl
Gruvin said:

Jinx 2 said:

Gruvin said:

SIC EM 94 said:

my bad... i mis read it. So you're afraid of the guy who promotes law and order and has endorsements of almost every major police Association in the country... seems legit
The only thing Trump is capable of shooting off is his mouth.

His supporters may shoot people in response.

Why the gun club loves a nancy boy like Trump who wears makeup and has sprayed up big hair is baffling, although his financial shenanigans sound a lot like Wayne LaPierre's, only larger scale.

Characterizing Trump as a "law and order" guy when his administration, particularly under Bill Barr, is openly subverting the rule of law and when he's defending police departments handing out water bottles to armed, underaged vigilantes, is ludicrous. Trump is also up to his ears in lawsuits he's used the presidency and taxpayer funded government employees to flout. Most recently a rape charge that Bill Barr would not be trying to gain control over if it didn't represent a danger to Trump. That would embarrass any true patriot. Trump's supporters are more loyal to him than the country and too stupid to see that.
Jacques Strap
Hope all the new owners get proper training on positioning, grip and aim. Aggy grip with off hand is optional..

SIC EM 94
Jinx 2 said:

Gruvin said:

Jinx 2 said:

Gruvin said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Why the gun club loves a nancy boy like Trump who wears makeup and has sprayed up big hair is baffling, although his financial shenanigans sound a lot like Wayne LaPierre's, only larger scale.

Characterizing Trump as a "law and order" guy when his administration, particularly under Bill Barr, is openly subverting the rule of law and when he's defending police departments handing out water bottles to armed, underaged vigilantes, is ludicrous. Trump is also up to his ears in lawsuits he's used the presidency and taxpayer funded government employees to flout. Most recently a rape charge that Bill Barr would not be trying to gain control over if it didn't represent a danger to Trump. That would embarrass any true patriot. Trump's supporters are more loyal to him than the country and too stupid to see that.

For someone who is "tuning out again", you sure do a lot of yapping!
GrowlTowel
Jinx 2 said:

Gruvin said:

Jinx 2 said:

Gruvin said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Where do you get your news? What color is the sky in your world?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.