Historic statue of Jesus vandalized at El Paso's St. Patrick Cathedral

1,414 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 57Bear
BaylorFTW
How long do you want to ignore this user?

A man is custody after allegedly destroying a historic statue of Jesus kept at a downtown church in El Paso, Texas, officials confirmed.
A man walked into the St. Patrick Cathedral on Tuesday morning and destroyed a nearly 90-year-old statue behind the main alter, the El Paso Catholic Diocese said. The man decapitated the statue, as well as vandalized the arms and the base of the statue.
Quote:

"This statue is one of my favorite representations of Jesus his arms open wide in welcome, his heart aflame with love for us," Bishop Mark Seitz said in a statement. "I would often take inspiration from this image as I prepared for Mass."
The statue is called the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Seitz said little is known about the man who allegedly destroyed the statue.
Quote:

"He certainly must be a person who is greatly disturbed to have attacked this peaceful place in our city and this image of the King of Peace," he said, adding that "he will be in my prayers."
A suspect in the incident has been detained by the El Paso Police Department.

Article: https://disrn.com/news/historic-statue-of-jesus-vandalized-at-el-pasos-st-patrick-cathedral
BaylorFTW
Man jailed in historic statue damage at St. Patrick Cathedral in El Paso says Jesus' skin color 'wrong'

UPDATE: Police on Wednesday identified the suspect arrested in the Jesus statue destruction at St. Patrick Cathedral as 30year old Isaiah Cantrell.

Cantrell was charged with criminal mischief and possession of marijuana. He was being held Wednesday in the El Paso County Detention Facility on $20,500 bond.

In a court affidavit obtained by ABC-7, police said Cantrell told them the "skin color of the statue was the wrong color." Cantrell reportedly remarked that "Jesus was Jewish and therefore should be a darker skin color."

Meantime, the Diocese of El Paso announced it was setting up a fund for the shattered Sacred Heart Statue, which was estimated to be worth $25,000.

The money raised will also be used to assist with church security and renovations. Those wishing to donate can call 914-872-8412, or send the donation to Office of the Foundation for the Diocese of El Paso, 499 St. Matthews St., El Paso, TX, 79907.

ORIGINAL REPORT: EL PASO, Texas A man brazenly walked into St. Patrick Cathedral on Tuesday morning and destroyed an almost 90-year-old statue behind the main altar of the downtown El Paso church, officials said.

The El Paso Catholic Diocese reported the incident to the media on Tuesday afternoon along with photos showing the statue's head decapitated and one of arms and the base also busted.

According to the Diocese, a suspect in the vandalism has been detained by the El Paso Police Department, which is investigating the attack.

Bishop Mark Seitz said he was saddened by the destruction of the historic statue called the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

"This statue is one of my favorite representations of Jesus his arms open wide in welcome, his heart aflame with love for us," Seitz said in a statement. "I would often take inspiration from this image as I prepared for Mass."

Seitz said very little is known about the person who allegedly destroyed the statue, but explained, "He certainly must be a person who is greatly disturbed to have attacked this peaceful place in our city and this image of the King of Peace."

Seitz added that he hopes the suspect "receives the help he needs."
"He will be in my prayers," the bishop added.

Article: https://kvia.com/news/crime/2020/09/15/jesus-statue-decapitated-in-brazen-vandalism-attack-at-el-pasos-st-patricks-cathedral/
Canada2017
So glad we sold the El Paso farm last year.

No longer have any reason to return to that horribly polluted, **** hole of a city .
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

No longer have any reason to return to that horribly polluted, **** hole of a city .
polluted?
How?
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

polluted?
How?
El Paso shares a broad valley surrounded by the Franklin mountains.......with Juarez , Mexico .

The 2 cities are literally side by side separated by the shallow Rio Grande river and the Bush border wall.

Juarez does not enforce any clean air regulations . So the entire valley usually is enclose in a massive smog bank that often extends for hundreds of miles.
Nguyen One Soon
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

polluted?
How?
El Paso shares a broad valley surrounded by the Franklin mountains.......with Juarez , Mexico .

The 2 cities are literally side by side separated by the shallow Rio Grande river and the Bush border wall.

Juarez does not enforce any clean air regulations . So the entire valley usually is enclose in a massive smog bank that often extends for hundreds of miles.
Graduated HS 30 miles downriver from El Paso in the late '60's. They were just figuring out how much lead and arsenic poisoning they were getting from the Juarez smelter.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I really don't care what color Jesus's skin is. He is Jesus. It does not matter.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
BaylorFTW
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I really don't care what color Jesus's skin is. He is Jesus. It does not matter.
The problem is some people feel it does matter and a percentage get violent if it isn't what they agree with. Plus we have folks who encourage them to do criminal acts.
Jack Bauer
This man deserves to be honored by the NBA!!!
Forest Bueller
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

THIS.

If you focus on Jesus ethnicity you have totally missed the point of His incarnation.

He came to show us there is neither Jew or Gentile in Him. Completely a departure of the mindset of the time.
By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
muddybrazos
They need to make attacking Christian churches a hate crime just like attacking a synagogue or a mosque is a hate crime.
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

polluted?
How?

Thanks

I've visited EP a number of times. I've noticed that the dust from Juarez (unpaved streets) is a problem in the afternoon. I haven't noticed smog, as in Houston or DFW type smog. These are just impressions.

I will say I have enjoyed visiting EP. Lots to do and it feels international
BearlySpeaking
Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King called for statues of Jesus to be torn down and stained glass windows depicting him to be destroyed if he wasn't the "right" color (black). Looks like people are starting to act on his call to vandalism of representations of Christ that don't meet his standard of racial purity.
BaylorFTW
Forest Bueller said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

THIS.

If you focus on Jesus ethnicity you have totally missed the point of His incarnation.

He came to show us there is neither Jew or Gentile in Him. Completely a departure of the mindset of the time.
They don't see it that way. They typically see white Jesus as an example of white supremacy that was used to suppress their people and they resent it especially given that Jesus was most likely not a white man. Groups like Black Hebrew Israelites promote a message that the nationality of Christ and the Israelites does matter and that white people are trying to hide from them their true identity.

Also, within the black church, there is a growing pushback or at least a common discussion point that black figures in the bible have been suppressed or not given enough attention due to white control of churches in the US. And they do make some good points in this area that the church as a whole would be wise to listen to.

There is a minister from Arlington, TX that has written on this subject and though I don't agree with some things he says, there is enough to recognize that the church should be doing more in this area so the black church does not feel disenfranchised and would feel more comfortable speaking out against such vandalism.
BaylorFTW
BearlySpeaking said:

Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King called for statues of Jesus to be torn down and stained glass windows depicting him to be destroyed if he wasn't the "right" color (black). Looks like people are starting to act on his call to vandalism of representations of Christ that don't meet his standard of racial purity.
That's right and they won't be held to account either
BearlySpeaking
BaylorFTW said:

Forest Bueller said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

THIS.

They don't see it that way. They typically see white Jesus as an example of white supremacy that was used to suppress their people and they resent it especially given that Jesus was most likely not a white man. Groups like Black Hebrew Israelites promote a message that the nationality of Christ and the Israelites does matter and that white people are trying to hide from them their true identity.

Also, within the black church, there is a growing pushback or at least a common discussion point that black figures in the bible have been suppressed or not given enough attention due to white control of churches in the US. And they do make some good points in this area that the church as a whole would be wise to listen to.

There is a minister from Arlington, TX that has written on this subject and though I don't agree with some things he says, there is enough to recognize that the church should be doing more in this area so the black church does not feel disenfranchised and would feel more comfortable speaking out against such vandalism.

I can see the argument, but the correct response is to do what the Ethiopian Orthodox church has done:

I have no problem with this, and it's a creative practice of faith instead of destroying what others have created.
nein51
BaylorFTW said:

Forest Bueller said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

THIS.

You mean the ones who are incredibly anti-semitic and racist? The group that the KKK once referred to as their Black counterpart? The ones who have their own interpretation of the Bible? The ones that teach that Socrates and Shakespeare were black? Those are the people you want to use as a point of reference?

Those guys are looney tunes and, if you're a Christian or Jew, probably heretics.
BaylorFTW
nein51 said:

BaylorFTW said:

Forest Bueller said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

THIS.

You mean the ones who are incredibly anti-semitic and racist? The group that the KKK once referred to as their Black counterpart? The ones who have their own interpretation of the Bible? The ones that teach that Socrates and Shakespeare were black? Those are the people you want to use as a point of reference?

Those guys are looney tunes and, if you're a Christian or Jew, probably heretics.
You can say all that but their beliefs have influence in the black community and even with some hispanics. When people like Nick Cannon, Ice Cube and Deshawn Jackson are advocating part of their beliefs, you have to recognize that these beliefs are having influence. It is a mistake to take them lightly.
Redbrickbear
Getting that "Spanish civil war" feeling about modern America.
nein51
BaylorFTW said:

nein51 said:

BaylorFTW said:

Forest Bueller said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

THIS.

You can say all that but their beliefs have influence in the black community and even with some hispanics. When people like Nick Cannon, Ice Cube and Deshawn Jackson are advocating part of their beliefs, you have to recognize that these beliefs are having influence. It is a mistake to take them lightly.

I don't take them lightly. That doesn't change the facts that they are insane. Did you hear Nick Cannon talk about how white people lacked soul because of their lack of melanin??
BaylorFTW
nein51 said:

BaylorFTW said:

nein51 said:

BaylorFTW said:

Forest Bueller said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

THIS.

I don't take them lightly. That doesn't change the facts that they are insane. Did you hear Nick Cannon talk about how white people lacked soul because of their lack of melanin??
I completely understand what you are saying but a good percentage of blacks agree with or sympathize with their beliefs. In other words, it is not seen as being insane to them and why this is problematic.

Now, I'm generalizing here to make this next point. But there are other blacks that would agree with us but feel isolated and alone because of division between the black and white churches. And this is a problem because blacks in the first group won't trust white faces saying it's insane and so real change probably has to come thru the black church. But as I said those folks feel compromised. So it's a mess and something the Church has to work through and will likely take years to resolve.
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

polluted?
How?

Thanks

I've visited EP a number of times. I've noticed that the dust from Juarez (unpaved streets) is a problem in the afternoon. I haven't noticed smog, as in Houston or DFW type smog. These are just impressions.

Lot's to do ? Other than UTEP basketball during the Don Haskins years...not much .

Oh yeah its international for sure. If you don't speak at least some Tex-Mex your business is going to suffer.

The Bush Border Wall dramatically reduced crime....but the air pollution has only gotten worse . Lousy place to raise a family .
Forest Bueller
BaylorFTW said:

Forest Bueller said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

THIS.

I don't see Jesus as white. Or black or hispanic. God transends race. He was Jewish by birth, but then let us know..... There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither bondservant nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

You either see Him as the authentic Jesus, or see Him as a false Jesus who divides us by race, ethnenticity or station in life.

Where I grew up, about 25% of the folks shared my skin color. It is very easy for me to see us all as equals in every way. That's how it was for me growing up. Seems like too many people though, grew up giving special preference to their own race, or economic situation, or some qualifier to separate us.

Jesus came to tear down barriers, in Him, not create them.
By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

polluted?
How?

Thanks

Lot's to do ? Other than UTEP basketball during the Don Haskins years...not much .

Oh yeah its international for sure. If you don't speak at least some Tex-Mex your business is going to suffer.

The Bush Border Wall dramatically reduced crime....but the air pollution has only gotten worse . Lousy place to raise a family .
Check into historic old hotel downtown. You can walk to several good restaurants and a nice concert venue. I've had good experiences there.

I think you're being too harsh and hasty in your judgement.

Oh well, 'you pays your money, you make your picks'
Canada2017
Hasty ?

Owned a farm in the Lower Valley for over 30 years.

The city limits sign was literally on my property.

Other than Cattleman's Steak House 20 miles east of town there are very few restaurants of particular notice .

Are there r worse cities ?

Sure

New Orleans , St Louis, Oakland , Detroit and Chicago just to name a few .

nein51
Canada2017 said:

Hasty ?

Owned a farm in the Lower Valley for over 30 years.

The city limits sign was literally on my property.

Other than Cattleman's Steak House 20 miles east of town there are very few restaurants of particular notice .

Are there r worse cities ?

Sure

New Orleans , St Louis, Oakland , Detroit and Chicago just to name a few .

I've been to EP a bunch of times...I assure you Detroit is better as is Chicago.

You'll get no argument on the others.
57Bear
Many years ago, Popular Mechanics published a digitally created face of Jesus.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.