The Best Move for Trump: Nominate Merrick Garland

1,019 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cinque
interlocking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been thinking about this since last night, and I really can't get it out of my head. Granted, I am approaching this as a likely Biden voter, but if Trump were to nominate Merrick Garland, I don't see how it would do anything but help him.

1. First, it's not like Garland was "liberal." He was endorsed by Ken freaking Starr whenever Obama nominated him. It's not like he would turn the court to the left or whatever.
2. If the Democrats get on board and approve the nomination, Trump is known as a great uniter right before the election.
3. If the Democrats don't get on board, it's THEM that look like the hypocrites, because they wanted to put him on the court four years ago.

Overall, the Republicans come out looking like a party of principles rather than a party of political games/hypocrisy. And again, I say this as someone who despises Trump. I just don't see a downside here. Feel free to prove me wrong.
George Truett
I'm with you and you're not wrong, but it's not going to happen.
4th and Inches
The choice should be a constitutionally minded moderate woman... we will see what happens

I think it needs to be before the election because of the possible election issues.
Bearitto
Surprise! A leftist thinks the best thing a Republican can do is give up and capitulate to the ludicrous demands of a leftist.

Leftists don't even attempt to think any longer. They are so accustomed to media reinforced group think that they just say dumb things and expect others to applaud.
Stranger
Ken Starr may or not be a liberal/conservative but he certainly is a dunce
I'm a Bearbacker
interlocking
Bearitto said:

Surprise! A leftist thinks the best thing a Republican can do is give up and capitulate to the ludicrous demands of a leftist.

Leftists don't even attempt to think any longer. They are so accustomed to media reinforced group think that they just say dumb things and expect others to applaud.

I think you missed my point.

Also, life is not about "leftists" versus conservatives. You really should go out and have real dialogue with real people instead of spewing nonsense on this board.
interlocking
Gruvin said:

The choice should be a constitutionally minded moderate woman... we will see what happens

I think it needs to be before the election because of the possible election issues.

Mind you, I don't think that is a poor choice myself. I do think it might spell issues for Trump in the election, though.
Doc Holliday
ACB
jh0505
Stranger said:

Ken Starr may or not be a liberal/conservative but he certainly is a dunce
No one was given a bigger chance in life. Several times. Huge Dunce to mess that up.
greatdivide
So you would replace one of the greatest women justices with an old white guy? Trump would get lambasted in the media and democratic circles for that. No way he would get any credit in 2020.
cinque
What happened to Justice Garland was a travesty that will remain unrivaled in the SC nomination process.
That said, he's too old. The subjective requirements have changed.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Ski8103
If one prefers an originalist justice, there aren't any moderates to choose from as far as I know.
EatMoreSalmon
No one who the mass media would call a moderate.
Midnight Rider
There will not be a vote until after the election.
Bearitto
BayNavFreak said:

Bearitto said:

Also, life is not about "leftists" versus conservatives. You really should go out and have real dialogue with real people instead of spewing nonsense on this board.

You are a leftist. Your point is power at the expense of free people. Your point is racism masquerading as equity. Your point is Marxism in the guise of a POC proletariat to a white bourgeoisie. Your point is a crippled America, bereft of her noble foundation. Satan doesn't build...he only destroys. Leftism is evil.
interlocking
Bearitto said:

BayNavFreak said:

Bearitto said:

You are a leftist. Your point is power at the expense of free people. Your point is racism masquerading as equity. Your point is Marxism in the guise of a POC proletariat to a white bourgeoisie. Your point is a crippled America, bereft of her noble foundation. Satan doesn't build...he only destroys. Leftism is evil.

Go off king? Your trolling is getting very old. And you don't seem understand nuance or healthy discussion, which is why you've immediately labeled me a leftist despite not knowing me nor my views. I will be praying for peace in your life. Not sure what you are going through personally, but I would encourage deep self-reflection and centering prayer.
OsoCoreyell
Amy Coney Barrett
Bearitto
BayNavFreak said:

Bearitto said:

BayNavFreak said:

Bearitto said:

Go off king? Your trolling is getting very old. And you don't seem understand nuance or healthy discussion, which is why you've immediately labeled me a leftist despite not knowing me nor my views. I will be praying for peace in your life. Not sure what you are going through personally, but I would encourage deep self-reflection and centering prayer.

You are self evidently a leftist. Why lie about that?

You aren't praying for peace. You pray for subjugation. You pray for (and to) an all powerful government. You support slavery. Real Americans support individual freedom...which precludes supporting any democrat.
Midnight Rider
Bearitto is off his rocker.
Sam Lowry
BayNavFreak said:

I've been thinking about this since last night, and I really can't get it out of my head. Granted, I am approaching this as a likely Biden voter, but if Trump were to nominate Merrick Garland, I don't see how it would do anything but help him.

1. First, it's not like Garland was "liberal." He was endorsed by Ken freaking Starr whenever Obama nominated him. It's not like he would turn the court to the left or whatever.
2. If the Democrats get on board and approve the nomination, Trump is known as a great uniter right before the election.
3. If the Democrats don't get on board, it's THEM that look like the hypocrites, because they wanted to put him on the court four years ago.

Overall, the Republicans come out looking like a party of principles rather than a party of political games/hypocrisy. And again, I say this as someone who despises Trump. I just don't see a downside here. Feel free to prove me wrong.
Nothing could make the Republicans look less principled than reversing themselves on Garland. It would put the lie to everything they've said about his nomination and the importance of considering judicial appointments when electing a president.

Aside from that, there's no principle at stake here. The idea that some rule of consistency requires us to defer to the other party is a pure fabrication of the left. The rights and duties of the president and the Senate are plainly spelled out in the Constitution and are no different than they were in 2016.
Bearitto
Midnight Rider said:

Bearitto is off his rocker.

Says a Democrat. Lol!!!
greatdivide
Instead of Garland, how about this old guy instead?

cinque
Sam Lowry said:

BayNavFreak said:

Nothing could make the Republicans look less principled than reversing themselves on Garland. It would put the lie to everything they've said about his nomination and the importance of considering judicial appointments when electing a president.

Aside from that, there's no principle at stake here. The idea that some rule of consistency requires us to defer to the other party is a pure fabrication of the left. The rights and duties of the president and the Senate are plainly spelled out in the Constitution and are no different than they were in 2016.

True but all that changed when McConnell denied Obama's appointment a hearing.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.