1M cases in Texas

13,154 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As mentioned in the Nature article, this overlooks the fact that most transmission occurs through droplets that are larger than the virus itself.
BUwolverine2012
We've been wearing masks in Texas since April....
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

As mentioned in the Nature article, this overlooks the fact that most transmission occurs through droplets that are larger than the virus itself.
I posted the Scientific American article at the bottom to dispute that exact assertion as well. Please note that scientists have been asking the CDC and WHO to acknowledge the aerosolized nature of the virus and spread since the late Summer. I'm assuming due to political pressure and what aerosolized spread means to public safety in general, they've been slow to take a firm stance, have walked it back a couple of times and only recently are putting it out there. The European failure of strict masking and tracing has been the eye opener for both agencies.

Again, that's in the second article I referenced.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

I posted the Scientific American article at the bottom to dispute that exact assertion as well. Please note that scientists have been asking the CDC and WHO to acknowledge the aerosolized nature of the virus and spread since the late Summer. I'm assuming due to political pressure and what aerosolized spread means to public safety in general, they've been slow to take a firm stance, have walked it back a couple of times and only recently are putting it out there. The European failure of strict masking and tracing has been the eye opener for both agencies.

The Nature article assumes it is transmitted by aerosols. The studies they reference are of particles in that range.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

which is the highest of any state. It's getting worse, folks, not better. Certainly not a hoax. Wearing a mask is probably a good idea when around people. Listen to the science.

There is zero evidence that a mask mitigates or provides personal protection against a respiratory virus 0.125 microns in size. If it makes you feel safe then great. I only wear one because I don't want to be a jerk. Go read the studies.

https://aapsonline.org/mask-facts/
One of my best friends who is a Harvard MD and PHD in Immunology differs.
I assume your friend is the only physician in America who has worn the mask outside of the clinical setting for the last several years.
no, just an opinion of the smarted person I know. I've got no idea as medicine is way out of my lane as I'm sure it is with you unless you are a doctor, which clearly you are not.
Precisely and we never saw doctors, surgeons, or nurses wear masks outside the clinical setting prior to everyone losing their collective mind over Covid. That tells me what the medical community thinks of the efficacy of masks in stopping respiratory viruses outside the clinical setting.
Yeah, if you really want to tie your brain in knots I guess it could tell you that. Or maybe it's just telling you the stuff out there prior to covid was less dangerous, like everyone says.
Yeah, Sam, we have never seen anything as dangerous as Covid. Polio and TB said hello.
Polio hasn't said hello in a while. TB kills fewer Americans in a year than coronavirus did today.
Let's talk about other diseases and causes of death then.

Cancer kills almost 600,000 people a year. 24% of those are lung cancer victims. And the leading cause of lung cancer is smoking. Are you for outlawing the tobacco industry? If not, why not?

More than 600,000 people a year die of heart disease. Those numbers are in large part due to Americans' eating habits. Are you in favor of outlawing fatty foods, processed foods and fast foods? If not, why not?

Approximately 40,000 people die from gunshot wounds each year. Are you for repealing the right of gun owners to own guns? If not, why not?

Approximately 80,000 people die of diabetes. Are you in favor of getting rid of foods with sugar? If not, why not?

Almost 40,000 people die in automobile accidents each year. Are you in favor of getting rid of automobile ownership?

Approximately 60,000 people die of the flu each year. And the vast majority of those deaths occur during flu season. Are you for shutting down the economy for a few months during flu season? If not, why not?

And approximately 300,000 people die of alcohol related disease and illness. Would you be in favor of banning alcohol sales?
None of those are contagious but flu, and none risk exceeding our capacity to treat.
Distinction without a difference. They are all factors which contribute to more death.

We haven't even come close to exceeding our capacity to treat.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

The Nature article assumes it is transmitted by aerosols. The studies they reference are of particles in that range.
The nature article speaks almost exclusively of droplets, not to mention it references models and anecdotal like study references. They also say Denmark has done well, when Denmark is now one of the hot spots of Europe with a likely new strain originating from Mink.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

which is the highest of any state. It's getting worse, folks, not better. Certainly not a hoax. Wearing a mask is probably a good idea when around people. Listen to the science.

There is zero evidence that a mask mitigates or provides personal protection against a respiratory virus 0.125 microns in size. If it makes you feel safe then great. I only wear one because I don't want to be a jerk. Go read the studies.

I assume your friend is the only physician in America who has worn the mask outside of the clinical setting for the last several years.
no, just an opinion of the smarted person I know. I've got no idea as medicine is way out of my lane as I'm sure it is with you unless you are a doctor, which clearly you are not.
Precisely and we never saw doctors, surgeons, or nurses wear masks outside the clinical setting prior to everyone losing their collective mind over Covid. That tells me what the medical community thinks of the efficacy of masks in stopping respiratory viruses outside the clinical setting.
Yeah, if you really want to tie your brain in knots I guess it could tell you that. Or maybe it's just telling you the stuff out there prior to covid was less dangerous, like everyone says.
Yeah, Sam, we have never seen anything as dangerous as Covid. Polio and TB said hello.
Polio hasn't said hello in a while. TB kills fewer Americans in a year than coronavirus did today.

Cancer kills almost 600,000 people a year. 24% of those are lung cancer victims. And the leading cause of lung cancer is smoking. Are you for outlawing the tobacco industry? If not, why not?

More than 600,000 people a year die of heart disease. Those numbers are in large part due to Americans' eating habits. Are you in favor of outlawing fatty foods, processed foods and fast foods? If not, why not?

Approximately 40,000 people die from gunshot wounds each year. Are you for repealing the right of gun owners to own guns? If not, why not?

Approximately 80,000 people die of diabetes. Are you in favor of getting rid of foods with sugar? If not, why not?

Almost 40,000 people die in automobile accidents each year. Are you in favor of getting rid of automobile ownership?

Approximately 60,000 people die of the flu each year. And the vast majority of those deaths occur during flu season. Are you for shutting down the economy for a few months during flu season? If not, why not?

And approximately 300,000 people die of alcohol related disease and illness. Would you be in favor of banning alcohol sales?
None of those are contagious but flu, and none risk exceeding our capacity to treat.
Distinction without a difference. They are all factors which contribute to more death.

Some places have. More places are and will in the near future.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

The nature article speaks almost exclusively of droplets, not to mention it references models and anecdotal like study references. They also say Denmark has done well, when Denmark is now one of the hot spots of Europe with a likely new strain originating from Mink.
Read the sections "Back to ballistics" and "All in the fabric." Don't want to cut and paste because of length.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8
Canada2017
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

Sam Lowry said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Give it another 3 weeks.

Buddha Bear
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Apparently we need better masks.
We can't invent one that will wear itself.
Keep believing that's the reason when nations with the strictest of mask mandates and social restriction policies are raging.
Thailand and New Zealand disagree.

note: there's more to it than masks, but it is certainly part of the solution.
Doc Holliday
China and the CCP are smiling ear to ear over Covid-19.

They love that it's dividing and hurting us.

They're going to love Biden screwing US trade.
Porteroso
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Keep believing that's the reason when nations with the strictest of mask mandates and social restriction policies are raging. Most people are masking with the equivalent of an air sponge that works both ways (external and internal) and repeatedly creating air flow through it. Science and stuff...

OH my good lord, don't even mention science if you're that ignorant lol. Plenty of studies on which masks stop the spread of covid the best. Here's one.

https://olv.duke.edu/news/researchers-created-a-test-to-determine-which-masks-are-the-least-effective/

Also the countries experiencing outbreaks are some of the ones that avoided the first wave, people relaxed, now they are on their second wave.

The countries like Taiwan, that are severely limiting travel, wearing masks, social distancing, have basically no waves at all. Fewer than 50 deaths total.

Your posting really makes no sense. If everyone had been wearing a mask, this third wave wouldn't be so bad. From the beginning it was assumed it would get worse in flu season. This is expected, just much worse because we are failing as a society to take it seriously.
J.R.
Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Shwhich is the highest of any state. It's getting worse, folks, not better. Certainly not a hoax. Wearing a mask is probably a good idea when around people. Listen to the science.

Do they have their own facts? The latest Canadian studies are in agreement with the one I linked. Mitigation of spread of a respiratory virus by using a mask incapable of filtering it is not effective.
Yes, she has her facts, but I don't. Again, I'm not going argue with docs as I'm not qualified at all. I'm just trying to amalgamate the most info possible. I'll keep wearing a mask when in public close to people out of respect for them and the law.
ATL Bear
Porteroso said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Keep believing that's the reason when nations with the strictest of mask mandates and social restriction policies are raging. Most people are masking with the equivalent of an air sponge that works both ways (external and internal) and repeatedly creating air flow through it. Science and stuff...

OH my good lord, don't even mention science if you're that ignorant lol. Plenty of studies on which masks stop the spread of covid the best. Here's one.

https://olv.duke.edu/news/researchers-created-a-test-to-determine-which-masks-are-the-least-effective/

Also the countries experiencing outbreaks are some of the ones that avoided the first wave, people relaxed, now they are on their second wave.

The countries like Taiwan, that are severely limiting travel, wearing masks, social distancing, have basically no waves at all. Fewer than 50 deaths total.

Your posting really makes no sense. If everyone had been wearing a mask, this third wave wouldn't be so bad. From the beginning it was assumed it would get worse in flu season. This is expected, just much worse because we are failing as a society to take it seriously.
I just posted studies showing how the aerosolized nature of the virus has made nearly all mask types beyond N95 relatively ineffective.

EDIT: This was literally from the link you posted:

But when testing their effectiveness, researchers discovered that some masks are quite literally
useless.

Maybe you should STFU when calling someone ignorant.
ATL Bear
Buddha Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Keep believing that's the reason when nations with the strictest of mask mandates and social restriction policies are raging.

Outliers currently, but we'll see what happens if/when they open up fully. Did you say you were currently in Thailand? Have you been able to leave and return? I know like New Zealand they shut down all foreign in flow, probably one of the major saves along with forced quarantines.
Buddha Bear
ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Outliers currently, but we'll see what happens if/when they open up fully. Did you say you were currently in Thailand? Have you been able to leave and return? I know like New Zealand they shut down all foreign in flow, probably one of the major saves along with forced quarantines.

Correct, Thailand did the same thing cutting off all foreign entries except for a couple of special visas. But still need 14 day govt mandated quarantine in designated hotels. Will be staying here in Thailand until the second wave is over.
midgett
Canada2017 said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

N95 is worthwhile....cloth and paper masks ....not so much .

This.

If you're not wearing a N95 mask you are not following science. You're just being sciency.

There have been multiple peer reviewed mask studies over the past 20 years and BEFORE 2019 that provide evidence that cloth masks offer no protection.

Yes, I wear a Baylor cloth mask wherever I'm asked out of respect for the other party. It's really not protecting me from them or them from me.
ATL Bear
Buddha Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Correct, Thailand did the same thing cutting off all foreign entries except for a couple of special visas. But still need 14 day govt mandated quarantine in designated hotels. Will be staying here in Thailand until the second wave is over.
That approach has had the greatest impact, not just in Thailand either, on viral containment. Asia has an advantage over the West on this because I know you know how serious they take traveling sickness, even long before COVID showed up.
TexasScientist
Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

N95 masks are the most effective. You should wear an N95. Viral load exposure can be limited by N95 mask.
Effectiveness of Cloth Masks for Protection Against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-0948_article
DioNoZeus
TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

N95 masks are the most effective. You should wear an N95. Viral load exposure can be limited by N95 mask.
Effectiveness of Cloth Masks for Protection Against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2
N95 masks are useless without proper fit testing to ensure a complete seal, which is one reason they are not recommended for general use in the community
TexasScientist
DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

N95 masks are useless without proper fit testing to ensure a complete seal, which is one reason they are not recommended for general use in the community
They're not that hard to fit. Most anyone should be able to use one with simple instructions.
DioNoZeus
TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

They're not that hard to fit. Most anyone should be able to use one with simple instructions.
So you think the average person knows how to build a chamber to fit over their head and to aerosolize saccharine into the chamber to assess adequate seal? You're a fool.
TexasScientist
DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

So you think the average person knows how to build a chamber to fit over their head and to aerosolize saccharine into the chamber to assess adequate seal? You're a fool.
That's not required to effectively and practically use an N95 mask. They don't even go to that extreme for Ebola.
Canada2017
DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

This aggie wears one properly.

And if an aggie can do it ...............
DioNoZeus
TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

That's not required to effectively and practically use an N95 mask. They don't even go to that extreme for Ebola.
Yes it is, you idiot. I'm a surgeon and have to undergo fit testing annually. It's too bad the cinque handle was shut down. This one has become just as insufferable.
DioNoZeus
Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

How did you confirm that you have a complete seal? Because if you didn't, an N95 is as effective as a standard surgical mask.
DioNoZeus
Link from OSHA explaining the importance and process of fit testing

https://www.osha.gov/video/respiratory_protection/fittesting_transcript.html
Canada2017
DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Yes it is, you idiot. I'm a surgeon and have to undergo fit testing annually. It's too bad the cinque handle was shut down. This one has become just as insufferable.
A surgeon .....very impressive.

Why/when was 'cingue' shut down ?

Is TS part of the same group ?
DioNoZeus
Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

I haven't seen cinque post since the election. My assumption that it was shut down, as I would assume that handle would have been the first one here to stir **** up.
Canada2017
DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

How did you confirm that you have a complete seal? Because if you didn't, an N95 is as effective as a standard surgical mask.
Follow the instructions of my BU grad GP.

However I count on social distancing more than the N95.
Canada2017
DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

I haven't seen cinque post since the election. My assumption that it was shut down, as I would assume that handle would have been the first one here to stir **** up.
I believe she is still around.

This site apparently needs the hits generated.
DioNoZeus
Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Unfortunately it sounds like your GP is giving you bad advice
Canada2017
DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

How so ?
DioNoZeus
Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

How so ?
N95 masks are really expensive. If you can't guarantee a seal with fit testing, you might as well buy cheaper masks
Canada2017
DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Canada2017 said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

DioNoZeus said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

How so ?
N95 masks are really expensive. If you can't guarantee a seal with fit testing, you might as well buy cheaper masks
My GP gave us 5 N95"s masks for free.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.