Student Loans

20,151 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harrison Bergeron
STxBear81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i have asked myself the same question about paying for school at baylor for my son.
Canada2017
ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

This is just crap!!!! My parents saved to put me through college and grad school. I saved to put my 2 kids through college. Just wrote my last check to Furman today!!!!!! I just got a big raise. My opinion is if you borrow $, you pay it back. It's really simple. My bankers and lenders require me to pay it all back!

Had your parents not paid for your school, would you be in the same position today? If you were 18 today with today's tuition prices what would you do?

Kid's today are paying twice what I paid to go to school 20 years ago, but minimum wage is still the same as it was then. I don't know how one does it on their own anymore.

You're obviously a good parent and have made good decision with the education your parents gave you. It's just hard to feel sorry for your situation in comparison to and average 18 year old today.
The bad decision started with a choice to go to a school and/or pursue a career incapable of supporting your borrowing choices. It isn't as if the cost is unknown upfront.
Exactly.

People need to be responsible for their own choices .
Doc Holliday
BornAgain said:

its not hat they dont deserve all those nice things, its that they cant afford it on a teachers salary.
A teachers salary should not afford that lifestyle.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

its not hat they dont deserve all those nice things, its that they cant afford it on a teachers salary.

Why not, for a select few? I know the rank and file oppose merit pay but dollars are the best incentive there is. When the stars get recognized financially it raises the bar for everyone.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

Why not, for a select few? I know the rank and file oppose merit pay but dollars are the best incentive there is. When the stars get recognized financially it raises the bar for everyone.
I like the idea. Question is how to choose the star?

In sports or entertainment, it's easy to see excellence. But in Education, all too often people move up who use influence and play the game. Some of the best teachers my daughter had never won 'Teacher of the Year', even though everyone seemed to agree they were excellent teachers.

I looked up and found that in the Houston, Alief and Fort Bend school districts, far more of the budget is allocated to administrators who do nothing much to help students learn and excel, than to teachers who actually have direct contact and influence on the students.

There is no solution I have been able to find. PTA's are helpless, school boards just put more politicians in charge of an ever-expanding bureaucracy, and teacher's unions ... don't get me started.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

I mean if the goal is to replace the vast majority of current public school teachers with teachers who work year round (yes showing up to campus 5 days a week, including in the summer) with exceptional teaching skills, then yeah I'm all for it.

J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

Teachers should be the best paid profession in our country. We have that really wrong. At their current salary level, paying $65K per year for college doesn't make much sense unless you have plenty of money and wan't to give your child a certain college experience. Financially, it doesn't make sense.
Doc Holliday
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

Teachers should be the best paid profession in our country. We have that really wrong.
Not current teachers. Better teachers.
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

Teachers should be the best paid profession in our country. We have that really wrong.
Teachers should be like the rest of us. You get paid for results. However, their are some really , really good teachers out there. My kids were blessed to have many of them , both in private school and public school.
Doc Holliday
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

Teachers should be like the rest of us. You get paid for results. However, their are some really , really good teachers out there. My kids were blessed to have many of them , both in private school and public school.
I've had great teachers, but most I think should be replaced if we want a better educated society.

Just because they make more money doesn't mean that education improves.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

Teachers should be the best paid profession in our country.
No. There is no reason the taxpayers should be forced to pay a legion of educators each $500,000+ per year. Absolutely not.
Oldbear83
Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

Teachers should be the best paid profession in our country.
No. There is no reason the taxpayers should be forced to pay a legion of educators each $500,000+ per year. Absolutely not.
Agreed, not least because while some teachers are truly excellent, some are truly execrable.

I'd like to see teachers rewarded on an outcome basis. The more students who succeed, the more the teacher makes. But drive out the bad ones, and get the parents involved!
Doc Holliday
If teachers made $75k a year, I'd expect the following:

- No summer breaks (you drive to campus and put in your 40+ hours).
- All college educated with prior outside work experience (no teaching only candidates).
- Improved student test results on a year to year basis.
J.R.
I said nothing about $500k. Pay the really good ones $100k or so, which will increase the demand for the profession and talented people will move to the profession. Jettison the non-under performers. I think school should be year round with breaks
nein51
Doc Holliday said:

- All college educated with prior outside work experience (no teaching only candidates).

In most good schools district this already occurs. In fact, in my kid's district you would be hard pressed to find a teacher that doesnt have a Masters degree.
nein51
Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

This is just crap!!!! My parents saved to put me through college and grad school. I saved to put my 2 kids through college. Just wrote my last check to Furman today!!!!!! I just got a big raise. My opinion is if you borrow $, you pay it back. It's really simple. My bankers and lenders require me to pay it all back!
Kid's today are paying twice what I paid to go to school 20 years ago, but minimum wage is still the same as it was then. I don't know how one does it on their own anymore.
Does what? If you have a college degree and you're working for minimum wage that is really on you. You can go work at Target right now starting at $13/hr. My ex wife who had a degree in Sociology from Baylor was an Assistant Manager for them and was making around 50k. You would be SHOCKED if you knew what a store manager for a Wal-Mart makes.

If you're flipping burgers for minimum wage you cant blame the system. Anyone who wants to work and is willing to work hard does better than that.
Doc Holliday
nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

In most good schools district this already occurs. In fact, in my kid's district you would be hard pressed to find a teacher that doesnt have a Masters degree.
Most districts aren't good.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.R. said:

I said nothing about $500k. Pay the really good ones $100k or so
What you said is that teachers should be the best paid profession in the country. I just gave you a number that would put them somewhere around the top 1%. If we took your suggestion as you wrote it, then what you are saying is that we should compensate teachers better than we compensate CEOs of the largest, most successful companies in the country. That would make their salary in the millions.

While your suggestion sounded nice, it was a silly suggestion after further inspection. And no, teachers should not be paid $100,000 either. They don't even work a full year.
J.R.
Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

What you said is that teachers should be the best paid profession in the country. I just gave you a number that would put them somewhere around the top 1%. If we took your suggestion as you wrote it, then what you are saying is that we should compensate teachers better than we compensate CEOs of the largest, most successful companies in the country. That would make their salary in the millions.

While your suggestion sounded nice, it was a silly suggestion after further inspection. And no, teachers should not be paid $100,000 either. They don't even work a full year.

Yes, the good ones should. That is how u entice quality people. And btw, they basically get a month off in the summer. And I said school should be year round. $100k ain't much these days
nein51
Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

This is a terrible opinion. First, good teachers in good districts already make 100k. Second, they actually do typically work a whole year. Third, I make a pretty good living but I assure you I dont work every day. I've been done since 3pm today and actually didnt put on pants...is that not ok with you?

A good teacher is worth their weight in gold. You should not have teachers making 30-40k, the job has too much value for that. You wont find private school teachers working for that because they know their value.

I would be ok with reduced tuition for teachers or even a remittance program where every year of service you get a portion of your tuition paid back. It is a terrible job and if I never have to teach my kid again that would be a blessing...and my kid is a pretty good student who has never been in trouble at school even for a day.
nein51
J.R. said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Yes, the good ones should. That is how u entice quality people. And btw, they basically get a month off in the summer. And I said school should be year round. $100k ain't much these days
100k is still a damned fine living, depending on your lifestyle.
Wrecks Quan Dough
nein51 said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

I've been done since 3pm today and actually didnt put on pants...is that not ok with you?

I don't care what you do with your time if you are not paid by the taxpayer.
Doc Holliday
nein51 said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

This is a terrible opinion. First, good teachers in good districts already make 100k. Second, they actually do typically work a whole year. Third, I make a pretty good living but I assure you I dont work every day. I've been done since 3pm today and actually didnt put on pants...is that not ok with you?

A good teacher is worth their weight in gold. You should not have teachers making 30-40k, the job has too much value for that. You wont find private school teachers working for that because they know their value.

I would be ok with reduced tuition for teachers or even a remittance program where every year of service you get a portion of your tuition paid back. It is a terrible job and if I never have to teach my kid again that would be a blessing...and my kid is a pretty good student who has never been in trouble at school even for a day.
My art teacher in high school just sat at her desk and let us make whatever we wanted out of clay for the entire year...

My english teacher was amazing.

Not all teachers have the same job.
nein51
How is that any different than any profession??
nein51
Carlos Safety said:

nein51 said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

I've been done since 3pm today and actually didnt put on pants...is that not ok with you?

So what should a teacher be paid?
Canada2017
nein51 said:

Carlos Safety said:

nein51 said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

Whatever the market demands.....just like any other profession .
Doc Holliday
nein51 said:

How is that any different than any profession??
In the private sector, you get fired.

Much more difficult process when it involves government.
Wrecks Quan Dough
nein51 said:

Carlos Safety said:

nein51 said:

Carlos Safety said:

J.R. said:

What are they currently accepting? What is their current marginal revenue product?
ATL Bear
quash said:

ATL Bear said:

HuMcK said:

Is that really where we're at now, going to college to be a teacher or coach is a bad financial decision, and you blame the students for that?

The "I got mine, screw everyone else" conservative stereotype lives on.
You don't need to go to BU to be a teacher.
True. But BU happens to have a terrific program, as opposed to some public diploma mills. During the pandemic I have seen multiple variations of a meme suggesting that parents with kids at home suddenly want to pay teachers higher salaries. Higher salaries usually, but not always, reflect a shortage in supply. The diploma mills keep us fully supplied with teachers that are not classroom ready.

The use of govt funds/loan guarantees/goodies is not working. If you are in a position to donate a scholarship, think about funding one in the BU education department. And if you talk to a development officer tie it to a decrease in tuition.

Alternatively, support legislative changes that would empower principals to have the freedom to fire bad teachers instead of reassigning them to a slot where you hope they fail so monumentally that they will quit in shame; there are some shameless ****ing teachers out there.
Agree with just about everything you said. I'm even married to a product of BU's teaching program who's been teacher of the year multiple times in her 20+ year career, and I've heard tons of stories about the "shameless teachers" you mention. However, there are some equally phenomenal teaching programs from universities with a much more reasonable price tag than Baylor. I just believe that college is a different animal today given the massive price inflation (some of the reasons you mentioned above), and a longer term view of the investment has to be considered in advance. Perhaps in our day, you could go to a place like Baylor and "find yourself", but that's not really an option anymore.

College lending has to now become more of a traditional type of loan where ability to pay is considered so we can disassociate from these guarantee arrangements. This might even include things like loan covenants tied to degree paths and auto default and university refund requirements for failure to adhere. The universities need skin in this game also. They're like a landlord that has no financial or credit risk between tenant and lender.
quash
We're on the same page.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Buddha Bear
ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Had your parents not paid for your school, would you be in the same position today? If you were 18 today with today's tuition prices what would you do?

You're obviously a good parent and have made good decision with the education your parents gave you. It's just hard to feel sorry for your situation in comparison to and average 18 year old today.
The bad decision started with a choice to go to a school and/or pursue a career incapable of supporting your borrowing choices. It isn't as if the cost is unknown upfront.

17 years old. Most people that age are not capable of making those type of decisions. Decisions that are inescapable if anything goes wrong, or if the slightest changing of their mind happens. The cost really isn't known up front. These kids do not get the full breakdown from a banker explaining the consequences.

You can apply your mindset to a 30 year old. But not a 17 year old when they are weighing those types of decisions.

And lastly, it's an education for God's sake. Have some understanding that people NEED affordable access to it to create their own dignified life. We have this idea of an American dream, but the reality is that other Western countries (and many non-western) have more upward mobility than the average American starting out on their own has today. It didn't used to be that way.
Buddha Bear
Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Trump can claim bankruptcy several times avoiding millions of dollars in payment, and the debt is wiped away.

A college student has their loans follow them for life, regardless of bankruptcy.

There is a major problem here.
ImwithBU
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

BornAgain said:

Teachers should be the best paid profession in our country. We have that really wrong. At their current salary level, paying $65K per year for college doesn't make much sense unless you have plenty of money and wan't to give your child a certain college experience. Financially, it doesn't make sense.

Lol. Teachers work 8 months out of the year and less than 8hrs a day. They are getting what the deserve
Wrecks Quan Dough
Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

Trump can claim bankruptcy several times avoiding millions of dollars in payment, and the debt is wiped away.

A college student has their loans follow them for life, regardless of bankruptcy.

You are free to pay off anyone's student loans as you see fit. Just don't ask the taxpayers to do the same.
ImwithBU
Carlos Safety said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Buddha Bear said:

J.R. said:

Exactly.

You are free to pay off anyone's student loans as you see fit. Just don't ask the taxpayers to do the same.

I don't think most people have a problem paying back what they borrowed. Problem is at 7% rate what you borrowed during school doubles quite quickly. Interest rates are higher than mortgage loans

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.