Student Loans

20,180 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harrison Bergeron
Buddha Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carlos Cruz said:

Is there really a national crisis? If we wind up forgiving student loans, then the federal government should never guarantee another educational loan again.
Eliminate the interest or drop it to the treasury rate, just like every other developed nation has done.

Problem solved, crisis averted.
Canon
Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Is there really a national crisis? If we wind up forgiving student loans, then the federal government should never guarantee another educational loan again.
Eliminate the interest or drop it to the treasury rate, just like every other developed nation has done.

Screw all those folks who worked and saved and sacrificed to pay off the loans they agreed to. They were just rubes for be conscientious and honest and dependable, amaright?
nein51
I spend a decent amount of time on Twitter. It lost its collective mind last week over this topic. You would be SHOCKED how pro "forgiveness" the Twitter crowd is.

Best I can tell we have raised a portion of our society that it too stupid to realize the "government" paying for something is really anyone doing better than you paying for it...or too self centered to care.

This much is very clear to me recently; if you care about social issues you can't vote Republican and if you care about your wallet you can't vote Democrat. Now, in fairness they are two sides of the same coin and it's mostly what they pretend to care about in public. It's like Republicans don't realize it isn't 1865 and Democrats haven't figured out that inflation is a bad thing. They both suck.
nein51
Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

That's not what the mob wants. They want to eliminate the debt like it doesn't exist. Like they didn't borrow the money.

The far bigger problem is jobs requiring degrees that have 0 need for that "forces" kids to college that don't belong. They take out a bunch of loans. Drop off before they finish. End up working for $12/hr and it takes an eternity to pay the loans off.
Dnicknames
contrario said:

Dnicknames said:

Dnicknames said:

JXL said:

Dnicknames said:

The student loan forgiveness argument is a straw man.

Neither party is proposing outright student loan forgiveness.

People get worked up over a policy that doesn't exist.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/14/what-bidens-student-loan-forgiveness-plan-means-for-borrowers.html

Hope isn't a policy.

I've asked both Biden's campaign staffers and Democrat Hill staffers what a loan forgiveness policy would look like. Each said it is a talking point right now.

His transition team is focused on infrastructure. They want to eventually do a student loan reduction program that trades federal student loan buy downs for annual years of social service (teachers, social workers, public servants, etc); student loan forgiveness isn't high on their agenda right now though.

Posting this article to further a much discussed point on this board from six months ago:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/24/student-debt-forgiveness-reportedly-dropped-from-bidens-annual-budget.html

(1) Student Loan forgiveness isn't even being proposed in Biden's budget for next year. I know that was stated repeatedly last year, but now it is once again formally confirmed

(2) Biden's team has triangulated to the Department of Education to provide a formal note on the legality of loan forgiveness, but Biden's own political appointees at Education are making sure there isn't a liberal loan elimination proposal.

(3) Biden's staff never said student loan forgiveness was a policy agenda, and they have repeatedly beaten back their leftist colleagues on the Hill that want loans forgiven

(4) Don't get worked up about straw men built up by websites to attack, when they have no basis in reality
Biden talked on the campaign trail about student loan forgiveness and even Tweeted about it.

Biden has considered an executive order on the issue. He could still be considering that, even if he hasn't put it in the budget that has been prepared for him.

Whether Biden wants it or not, if enough Democrats are pushing for it, it will happen in some form, even if it isn't a full student loan forgiveness.

I don't think you should be spiking the football just yet.

Biden indeed talked about student loans, the topic was a core talking point for Warren and Bernie voters. And off camera during the campaign, Biden's entire team was saying loan forgiveness wasn't a real agenda item.

They were saying (1) covid relief, (2) infrastructure, (3) tax reform in the first year. You're seeing that play out now.

And an EO is dependent on a legality approving memo from Education, a department Biden's own political appointees control. Make sense? If Biden wanted the memo for loan forgiveness, a formal memo could have been done yesterday....nothing has happened...there is a reason.

Even democrats understand moral hazard. If a future loan forgiveness plan goes forward, it will be in the form of future loan credits for years of service in the non profit world. For example, Capital Hill staffers are eligible for student loan forgiveness - right now - based on each year served. Biden would follow that plan he helped create for staffers on the Hill.

Blanket loan forgiveness is not an option, or that is what is being communicated by the White House leg affairs. Everything else is just noise.
nein51
A trade for time in service; military, public service, etc is pretty acceptable to me at a 2:1 workebt relief level. You could probably pitch 1:1.
contrario
Dnicknames said:

contrario said:

Dnicknames said:

Dnicknames said:

JXL said:

Dnicknames said:

The student loan forgiveness argument is a straw man.

Neither party is proposing outright student loan forgiveness.

People get worked up over a policy that doesn't exist.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/14/what-bidens-student-loan-forgiveness-plan-means-for-borrowers.html

Hope isn't a policy.

I've asked both Biden's campaign staffers and Democrat Hill staffers what a loan forgiveness policy would look like. Each said it is a talking point right now.

His transition team is focused on infrastructure. They want to eventually do a student loan reduction program that trades federal student loan buy downs for annual years of social service (teachers, social workers, public servants, etc); student loan forgiveness isn't high on their agenda right now though.

Posting this article to further a much discussed point on this board from six months ago:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/24/student-debt-forgiveness-reportedly-dropped-from-bidens-annual-budget.html

(1) Student Loan forgiveness isn't even being proposed in Biden's budget for next year. I know that was stated repeatedly last year, but now it is once again formally confirmed

(2) Biden's team has triangulated to the Department of Education to provide a formal note on the legality of loan forgiveness, but Biden's own political appointees at Education are making sure there isn't a liberal loan elimination proposal.

(3) Biden's staff never said student loan forgiveness was a policy agenda, and they have repeatedly beaten back their leftist colleagues on the Hill that want loans forgiven

(4) Don't get worked up about straw men built up by websites to attack, when they have no basis in reality
Biden talked on the campaign trail about student loan forgiveness and even Tweeted about it.

Biden has considered an executive order on the issue. He could still be considering that, even if he hasn't put it in the budget that has been prepared for him.

Whether Biden wants it or not, if enough Democrats are pushing for it, it will happen in some form, even if it isn't a full student loan forgiveness.

I don't think you should be spiking the football just yet.

Biden indeed talked about student loans, the topic was a core talking point for Warren and Bernie voters. And off camera during the campaign, Biden's entire team was saying loan forgiveness wasn't a real agenda item.

They were saying (1) covid relief, (2) infrastructure, (3) tax reform in the first year. You're seeing that play out now.

And an EO is dependent on a legality approving memo from Education, a department Biden's own political appointees control. Make sense? If Biden wanted the memo for loan forgiveness, a formal memo could have been done yesterday....nothing has happened...there is a reason.

Even democrats understand moral hazard. If a future loan forgiveness plan goes forward, it will be in the form of future loan credits for years of service in the non profit world. For example, Capital Hill staffers are eligible for student loan forgiveness - right now - based on each year served. Biden would follow that plan he helped create for staffers on the Hill.

Blanket loan forgiveness is not an option, or that is what is being communicated by the White House leg affairs. Everything else is just noise.
Look, I get it that politicians make promises on the campaign trail (even though if Trump did you, you would be calling him out for not following through, but that is a whole different discussion for a different thread), but the premise of the post you made yesterday was that the student loan forgiveness was effectively fabricated. But that isn't true, Biden himself on camera and in public statements (Twitter and interviews) claimed student loan forgiveness would be something his administration considered, at a minimum, and possibly implemented, even if it was a watered down version. I think for you to be critical of those concerned is misguided.

And even though it isn't in his current budget, or immediate plans, his previous comments and the agenda of a very vocal and powerful group within his own party means it is still an issue that could come up soon. After the mid-terms, assuming they go well for democrats, I could easily see this issue come up again.

So again, even though it appears it is being tabled for now, I wouldn't say those that were concerned about this should take a sign of relief. It is still very much an issue many Democrats are pushing for.
Buddha Bear
Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Screw all those folks who worked and saved and sacrificed to pay off the loans they agreed to. They were just rubes for be conscientious and honest and dependable, amaright?
You're talking about me then. I wouldn't feel screwed at all. I'd feel relief for the next generation that they can keep up with other countries. I payed all $46k of my loans + interest (prob another 20K) after all said and done. I feel cheated after seeing first hand how the rest of the world manages their payment of education. Other countries are getting ahead of us financially because we choose to charge a set 6% rate on our loans that start accruing the first year of college. It's a racket. All other developed countries (and some developing) charge 1% or 0%.

I agreed to those loans at 18 years old, and I paid them off. One thing is for sure....we are NOT adults at 18 years old. And loans that accrue high interest starting at the age of 18 and can't be discharged EVER is indentured servitude. It's disgusting really. Most un-American s*** ever.
BearTruth13
Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

You're talking about me then. I wouldn't feel screwed at all. I'd feel relief for the next generation that they can keep up with other countries. I payed all $46k of my loans + interest (prob another 20K) after all said and done. I feel cheated after seeing first hand how the rest of the world manages their payment of education. Other countries are getting ahead of us financially because we choose to charge a set 6% rate on our loans that start accruing the first year of college. It's a racket. All other developed countries (and some developing) charge 1% or 0%.

I agreed to those loans at 18 years old, and I paid them off. One thing is for sure....we are NOT adults at 18 years old. And loans that accrue high interest starting at the age of 18 and can't be discharged EVER is indentured servitude. It's disgusting really. Most un-American s*** ever.

2 things need to happen then. If loans are forgiven or discharged in bankruptcy, then loans need to be restricted moving forward. You need to be able to present a repayment plan to the lender and have a good academic background to provide as background.

Go to a bank today and ask for a low interest bank loan for $100,000 with no collateral or credit history. You'll be laughed out of the room.

18 year olds nationwide request $100,000 loans with no business plan, no collateral or credit history, and expect low interest rates and to simply default when they feel like it? To major in English?

Fewer people need to be going to college. Force colleges to lower their prices. If you don't have the grades or a marketable degree plan, you don't need to be getting a loan. You are welcome to pay your own way for a Philosophy degree.
J.R.
BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

2 things need to happen then. If loans are forgiven or discharged in bankruptcy, then loans need to be restricted moving forward. You need to be able to present a repayment plan to the lender and have a good academic background to provide as background.

Go to a bank today and ask for a low interest bank loan for $100,000 with no collateral or credit history. You'll be laughed out of the room.

18 year olds nationwide request $100,000 loans with no business plan, no collateral or credit history, and expect low interest rates and to simply default when they feel like it? To major in English?

Fewer people need to be going to college. Force colleges to lower their prices. If you don't have the grades or a marketable degree plan, you don't need to be getting a loan. You are welcome to pay your own way for a Philosophy degree.
I definitely agree that everyone doesn't need to go to University. Case in point from today. My SO needed a bunch of plumbing work done. I called a friend that I went to HS with and he's a Master Plumber. Got to talking to him while he was working on her house and he absolutely kills. He said that his market is wide open because the older plumbers are dying off or retiring and the younger generation has no time for "Trade Schools", hence a huge void. He's fat and happy and enjoys what he does. As far as loan forgiveness is concerned, that is BS for all of you had loans and paid them off. Last time I checked, my bankers expects me to pay off all my business loans. I understand too, that there are alot of people need loans for college and as long as they are paid back, great. You agree to the deal. Now, if someone want to go to Baylor and pay $250K for an education degree and finance it....well, that is just stupid. I was fortunate that my parents were able to pay for me to attend BU and when I was finished, I had no debt. I worked my ass off to provide that for my kids.
quash
BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

You don't have to use government to force tuition down, just remove the main upward driver of tuition: federally guaranteed student loans.

That will lead to what you just described: banks saying "no way" to 18 year olds, but maybe getting parents to co-sign.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
BearTruth13
quash said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

You don't have to use government to force tuition down, just remove the main upward driver of tuition: federally guaranteed student loans.

That will lead to what you just described: banks saying "no way" to 18 year olds, but maybe getting parents to co-sign.

Yep. That's fine by me. I just know too many people up to their eyeballs in debt because they went to college for an education degree and quit 3 years after graduating. Or went to school for 8 years for a history PhD. That is great if you love learning. I love learning. No one in their right mind would finance a $40,000/year education for that.

I worked 20 hours a week and each summer during college. Many of my friends never held a job their entire time at school. Even the ones on loans. Some kids run through takeout every night using student loan money.

I hate the idea of incentivizing bad behavior.
Buddha Bear
BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Education to me is a basic human right. I understand from a business perspective what you are proposing. But this is another issue I think other countries have figured out better. Education is the main pathway out of poverty. Therefore it should be a foundation of our country and a human right.
quash
Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Education to me is a basic human right. I understand from a business perspective what you are proposing. But this is another issue I think other countries have figured out better. Education is the main pathway out of poverty. Therefore it should be a foundation of our country and a human right.

Again, nothing is a right if it requires that someone else provide their effort or property. Health is not a right, education is not a right.

Public education is a societal good.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Thee University
br53 said:

HuMcK said:

That's just kicking the can, changing interests rates does nothing about the actual cost of education.
Yea well lowering the interest on my new Tahoe doesnt do anything either but allow Chevy to keep charging 75K and I pay it cause my wife wanted it and I could afford it. Now as long as these dumbass little kids want to go to BU and UT and be teachers, underwater basket weavers and social workers let em rot in debt hell until they learn to make better decisions and get a degree worth more than the paper its printed on. I tried to help and meet in the middle but you liberal SOB's go back to blaming the businesses. Dont buy what you cant afford and dont chase an education that maxes out with income at 75k with a 200k education bill.
It's well past time for Americans who have actively participated in the Pussification of America process to reap what they have sown.

The world needs ditch diggers too!

I used to say this is all going to come crashing down but now that the Dems have got the lead, it may be a while longer.

If those idiots in DC expect me to pay a penny towards bailing other dumb@$$es out for their own pitiful decisions they can go flog themselves.

LIVE WELL WITHIN YOUR MEANS!
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Thee University
Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Buddha Bear
quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Again, nothing is a right if it requires that someone else provide their effort or property. Health is not a right, education is not a right.

Public education essential to have informed voters. It's essential for economic development. Without it you have North Korea. Myanmar. Uganda. Chad. DRC (Congo). I can tell you as a first hand witness of the poverty and ingorance in all of these countries (except N Korea), that lack of education is what keeps these people oppressed.

Public education is an essential human right. It leads to a life of dignity, and a life worth living.
Canon
Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Public education essential to have informed voters.

This is substantially false. The US educational system has degraded our electorate and created at least two generations of historically illiterate sheep who have fallen for the lies of a discredited Marxism.
quash
Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Public education essential to have informed voters. It's essential for economic development. Without it you have North Korea. Myanmar. Uganda. Chad. DRC (Congo). I can tell you as a first hand witness of the poverty and ingorance in all of these countries (except N Korea), that lack of education is what keeps these people oppressed.

Public education is an essential human right. It leads to a life of dignity, and a life worth living.
Essential, sure. But not a right, not by any stretch. Homeschooling is a right, not public education.
Buddha Bear
BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

18 year olds can request $100k in student loans? You never had a student loan did you. You're wrong. Max for govt loans is around 50k (for undergrad). So much ignorant privilege on this board.
Thee University
Two sides to hold responsible.

1. The student. Somebody has raised a kid that has absolutely no understanding of basic economic principles. They are a burden on society (or will be soon) and this is just the start of them freeloading on responsible folks. They must be held accountable their horrendous actions.

2. The US Department of Education. The loan servicers and debt collectors. Loan servicers are not educating people enough about affordable repayment plans and the debt collectors are not telling defaulted borrowers how they can get out of default.

I hesitate to put the colleges themselves and their escalating tuition in there. Why be sold a bill of goods that will never pan out or will take too long to repay the investment?

Judge Smails is right. The world needs ditch diggers too and sadly that is about the top end of some kid's motivation. They have been raised to expect someone to do it for them and to give them nice, material things for little to no effort.

nein51
Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

18 year olds can request $100k in student loans? You never had a student loan did you. You're wrong. Max for govt loans is around 50k (for undergrad). So much ignorant privilege on this board.

It's adorable that you think those are the only loans people take. I had closer to 100k in 2000 in student loans and Baylor is wayyyyyyyy more expensive now.

It took me 10 very long years to pay those off.
BearTruth13
Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

......I have people I know personally with upwards of $100K in undergrad student loan debt. Government loans, private student loans, whatever.
BearTruth13
Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Education should absolutely be a priority in this country. Every person should complete high school/GED, be literate, have a basic understanding on math, science, English, etc., have taken some form of personal finance class and civics course.

After that is where we disagree. We don't need every young adult to get degrees in music, art, communications, philosophy, women's studies, sociology, international studies, fashion design, etc. We have a crazy amount of kids majoring in fields with extremely limited job prospects. We have 50%+ of students that simply drop out of college. Millions of people with debt to pay for incomplete or unmarketable degrees.

Not every high school student needs to go to college. We need plumbers, electricians, mechanics, welders, garbage men, etc. Learn a trade that will make you an invaluable member of your community. Most younger generations have no interest in this nowadays. They've spent their entire lives hearing that going to college (regardless of the cost) is a worthwhile investment in all cases and will set them up for life. It really isn't that simple.
whiterock
Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

This is substantially false. The US educational system has degraded our electorate and created at least two generations of historically illiterate sheep who have fallen for the lies of a discredited Marxism.
charging kids hundreds of thousands of dollars to be indoctrinated into ideological nonsense that teaches them NOT to think is one of the most harmful aspects of the open society - leaving large percentages of future generations deeply in debt and functionally unemployable in any meaningful endeavor.

We should not lend a nickle for studies of social sciences, except for curricula aimed at training public school teachers. We should focus all our student loan resources on STEM fields. That would largely fix the problem going forward.
Whiskey Pete
Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Do you mean formal education? While education is important, formal education is not the main pathway out of poverty.... that woulld be ambition, will power, a strong work ethic and the willingness to take risk.. If you can learn by doing or learn on your own, often that's all it takes.

I know plenty of people present and past that had very little to no formal education that have become wildly successful. My best friend never went to college. Started a landscaping business right out of high school, worked his butt off to make it grow, expanded into the fencing, hard scaping, pergolas, fire pits, etc.... About a year ago (maybe a year and half).... he bought a weekend getaway 196 acre ranch about 2 hours away for $1.95M. An no, he didn't take a loan on it
Whiskey Pete
Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

I would argue that FEAR is what keeps people oppressed.
Whiskey Pete
BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Education should absolutely be a priority in this country. Every person should complete high school/GED, be literate, have a basic understanding on math, science, English, etc., have taken some form of personal finance class and civics course.

After that is where we disagree. We don't need every young adult to get degrees in music, art, communications, philosophy, women's studies, sociology, international studies, fashion design, etc. We have a crazy amount of kids majoring in fields with extremely limited job prospects. We have 50%+ of students that simply drop out of college. Millions of people with debt to pay for incomplete or unmarketable degrees.

Not every high school student needs to go to college. We need plumbers, electricians, mechanics, welders, garbage men, etc. Learn a trade that will make you an invaluable member of your community. Most younger generations have no interest in this nowadays. They've spent their entire lives hearing that going to college (regardless of the cost) is a worthwhile investment in all cases and will set them up for life. It really isn't that simple.
This times 1,000
Doc Holliday
whiterock said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

charging kids hundreds of thousands of dollars to be indoctrinated into ideological nonsense that teaches them NOT to think is one of the most harmful aspects of the open society - leaving large percentages of future generations deeply in debt and functionally unemployable in any meaningful endeavor.

We should not lend a nickle for studies of social sciences, except for curricula aimed at training public school teachers. We should focus all our student loan resources on STEM fields. That would largely fix the problem going forward.
1.) Seize the endowments.

2.) Loans only for STEM.

3.) Get feds mostly out of the picture.

Problem solved.
contrario
Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Education is important, and the ability to have resources available to learn is a basic human right, but formal education is not a basic human right. That is, government and society as a whole should never oppress an individual to the point that they can't get an education by some means. And it certainly isn't the only way out of poverty, as was said in another post. Society providing free college to free college to an art history major isn't a basic human right - that is what we call 1st world problems. I can get on board with K-12 education being a necessity, but I can't get on board with college to be a necessity. It just isn't. That doesn't mean skilled training and individual self-education aren't important, but it isn't a basic human right that the government pay for education for people forever. At some point, it's up to the individual to decide what is best for them self and take ownership in their life.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

2.) Loans only for STEM.

Problem solved.
Who does the seizing?

No restrictions on loans, but no guarantees either, because

Feds completely out.
whiterock
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

2.) Loans only for STEM.

Problem solved.
Who does the seizing?

Feds completely out.

TAX the endowments not used to fund education for all students.
Canon
whiterock said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

2.) Loans only for STEM.

Problem solved.
Who does the seizing?

Feds completely out.

Perhaps we could start by eliminating the pretense that universities are non-profit institutions and tax them accordingly. Property taxes could eat into endowments a little as well. If we scotch fed subsidies for loans as well, we will bring them all back under control. They will be subject to actual market forces. The departments that produce actual economic value will survive and the grievance studies farce departments will shrink because even the donations made to them by left wing donors to keep them afloat will be taxed as regular income.

quash
whiterock said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

2.) Loans only for STEM.

Problem solved.
Who does the seizing?

Feds completely out.

As part of a complete overhaul of our tax code, maybe. Eliminate all deductions and exemptions and pay a revenue based tax (one based on federal budget, not goodies).
whiterock
quash said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

quash said:

Buddha Bear said:

BearTruth13 said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canon said:

Buddha Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

2.) Loans only for STEM.

Problem solved.
Who does the seizing?

Feds completely out.

As part of a complete overhaul of our tax code, maybe. Eliminate all deductions and exemptions and pay a revenue based tax (one based on federal budget, not goodies).
if only we could make it so. then, the taxpayer would see their true tax burden on every transaction.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.