Student Loans

20,263 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harrison Bergeron
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

whiterock said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

And there are plenty of Republicans that see the harm in Higher education not being available to the poor and middle class.

But the most effective way to solve that is through the price mechanism reform.

Universities must learn to control their costs,
How can someone be so correct on sentences 2 and 3 be so ideologically hidebound on sentence 1?

For the record, we have far too many kids of all classes getting degrees in things that do not matter, and far too few kids of all classes attending trade schools. It would be hard to devise a social justice greater than cleaning out have of the ivy league and putting them into the TSTC system.
The cost problem, purely applied at the state university level is that the general public is paying for the public research and R&D costs of universities. Those costs are not direct benefits to students. That's the whole scam. And universities aren't saying a word about their obligations to the young people saddled with their debt.

The morality of this problem falls squarely on the Democrat run universities.

Show me a Democrat that believes in price mechanisms and I'll show you the solution to the problem.
I misinterpreted your first sentence.

Agree entirely that there is an inherent moral hazard in the way we've structured higher ed.
RegentCoverup
whiterock said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

whiterock said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

And there are plenty of Republicans that see the harm in Higher education not being available to the poor and middle class.

But the most effective way to solve that is through the price mechanism reform.

Universities must learn to control their costs,
How can someone be so correct on sentences 2 and 3 be so ideologically hidebound on sentence 1?

For the record, we have far too many kids of all classes getting degrees in things that do not matter, and far too few kids of all classes attending trade schools. It would be hard to devise a social justice greater than cleaning out have of the ivy league and putting them into the TSTC system.
The cost problem, purely applied at the state university level is that the general public is paying for the public research and R&D costs of universities. Those costs are not direct benefits to students. That's the whole scam. And universities aren't saying a word about their obligations to the young people saddled with their debt.

The morality of this problem falls squarely on the Democrat run universities.

Show me a Democrat that believes in price mechanisms and I'll show you the solution to the problem.
I misinterpreted your first sentence.

Agree entirely that there is an inherent moral hazard in the way we've structured higher ed.
No worries! I was shocked that you saw something that crossed your wires, I think we agree about 99.99% of the time.

One of my grad profs shared emails with us detailing how far left universities have spun. It's simply a hand out scheme at this point. Most want the job and don't grasp the idea of accountability to the public.

It won't take much of a shake, but if you can solve the accountability problem, the debt should fall in line.

Changing job requirements is a start.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/employers-rethink-need-for-college-degrees-in-tight-labor-market-11669432133

quash
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/employers-rethink-need-for-college-degrees-in-tight-labor-market-11669432133

I would start with ending federal loan guarantees but...

As more companies begin to push for certification over degrees we can move students from training into jobs far more rapidly. A 12 or 15 month certification program that can tell the employer "This student has all the qualifications you need." will draw interest from students and employers. A lot of former community colleges have discovered the link between good training and good non-degreed jobs.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Harrison Bergeron
quash said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I would start with ending federal loan guarantees but...

As more companies begin to push for certification over degrees we can move students from training into jobs far more rapidly. A 12 or 15 month certification program that can tell the employer "This student has all the qualifications you need." will draw interest from students and employers. A lot of former community colleges have discovered the link between good training and good non-degreed jobs.

Agreed. Not sure if there is a practical reason except for funding universities to have all degrees be four years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.