Sarah Fuller becomes the first woman to play in a Power 5 college football game.

21,624 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Florda_mike
Forest Bueller_bf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Carlos Safety said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

bear2be2 said:

Carlos Safety said:

Shiner beat the brakes off them.
So did Comanche, Comfort, San Saba and Wall. Mason was down this year. But they still made it to the third round of the playoffs in a down year. I'd call that a success.
Not really these days. The playoffs are watered down at all levels with 4 teams from each district making the playoffs. The first two rounds are generally warm up games for decent teams.
Yea Chilton was 3rd in district and got to the third round too. Got donkey stomped last weekend, but they are high on effort, just too slow to beat someone like Teneha.
Tenaha is going to get donkey stomped this week.
In a major way. I am looking for a way to watch that one online. Mart comes in with some real ball players.

Wish Mart and Shiner could match up, I think they are different divisions. That would be a great 2A ballgame.
If Hamlin had stayed healthy, they'd have challenged Mart again this year. But they lost one of their two best players to a dislocated ankle in their playoff opener, which was like losing two standout players for a 2A DII team.
Losing your best player at 2A usually means elimination, now Mart 1999 or Chilton 2006, I think they could have lost a top player and still survive. One of the best small school games I've seen for intensity was Mart/Chilton 2006 when Mart was still what is now 3A. Both won state that year, Chilton in what is currently 2A.

Chilton went up 20-0 but the TD was called back, I didn't see the penalty. Chilton also fumbled at the worst time possible and had a pass interference called against them, which again, looking at it with a microscope on film, I didn't see it. Mart won 19-13, but man Chilton had that one without mistakes.
br53
That was a good game. Chilton wasn't good when I was in school but we were a classification up on them and never played. We always played Grosebeck, Marlin, LaVega and other bigger Schools when I was at Mart.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Forest Bueller_bf
br53 said:

That was a good game. Chilton wasn't good when I was in school but we were a classification up on them and never played. We always played Grosebeck, Marlin, LaVega and other bigger Schools when I was at Mart.
A Mart man, good grief y'all have had a lot of great football over the years. I wait to see Mart in the finals, what feels like almost every year.

1999 with John Garrett and Quan Cosby in the same backfield was just unfair. Even without those two that would have been a really good team.

historian
Carlos Safety said:

Just a guess. I bet not a soul on this board knew about the Pac 12 blind snapper in 2017. Maybe you did, but I bet that is it.
How many games did he play in? How many seasons? Is he still playing D1 football now? If he played only part of a season, it's a safe bet his role was more of a PR stunt or a gimmick. It's nothing against the kid but it's also not realistic to expect a blind kid or a girl to play on the same level as 300 pound linemen.
historian
whitetrash said:

SoonerFrogs said:

dont have to be a woman to get knocked out....

Was that called for targeting?

(It may not have been the rule back then but would be today)
I think the same targeting was in place for the 2014-15 season (Ahmad Dixon missed part of the Texas game in 2013). And no, it was not called for targeting.
br53
Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

A Mart man, good grief y'all have had a lot of great football over the years. I wait to see Mart in the finals, what feels like almost every year.

1999 with John Garrett and Quan Cosby in the same backfield was just unfair. Even without those two that would have been a really good team.

The best player was never allowed to play, Lonnie Green. He was the best I ever saw at Mart.
historian
Carlos Safety said:

Yes, good luck trying to shame out men's innate desire to protect women or women's innate revulsion against watching men physically attack other women.
We live in a society in which too many people repeat the lie that Bruce Jenner is a woman and that boys should be able to compete in girl's sports. Unfortunately, this insanity is promoted by the media and many politicians, including judges.
nein51
Forest Bueller_bf said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Here we go, I think an ESPY is coming soon.

A blind snapper won this same award out of the Pac-12 in 2017. No one threw a fit.

The same people *****ing about Fuller now correctly thought it was a really cool story.

Just a guess. I bet not a soul on this board knew about the Pac 12 blind snapper in 2017. Maybe you did, but I bet that is it.
The blind snapper was a pseudo Make a Wish play for a hard working young man. That's all it was. Nobody speculated that disabled players would just start playing more on football teams.

But Sarah Fuller has "changed the game" and "shattered glass ceilings" with her one "historical" kick.

First of all, no one thinks women are going to take over college football. So that's an irrational fear from the jump.

That said, what would be the major problem with more qualified women having the opportunity to play if they really wanted it? Those opportunities would be limited primarily to place kicking roles, so physical danger isn't a major risk. So what's the real hang up here?
There are probably no qualified women to be a legitimate D1 kicker, there are kids everywhere, who can kick it 65 yards plus in the air who get cut at the D1 level because someone can kick it 70 or 75 yards in the air with more hang time. It takes an upper level talent, even upper level for a male, to be a legitimate P5 kicker.

My nephew was one of the top rated kickers in PA his Sr year of HS. Won all sorts of awards, won some kicking contest at a camp...ended up going to Davidson and is a backup kicker (does play some other spots because it isn't D1).

He was probably one of the 100 best kickers in the country and couldn't get a D1 scholarship.

It's comical that people think this was anything other than a stunt. In warm ups it was pretty obvious Vandy would not be kicking unless it was a PAT and I'm not sure they would have kicked then either.

I have no issue with it as a feel good story but when you start handing out awards it's an issue to me. Don't pretend that deserved an award. They could quite literally have taken someone from the stands and had the same result. There are probably 20 guys on that team that could have done that and, while punting and kicking aren't the same, I assure you that the punter damn sure could have done it...and you can drop kick.
Bearitto
Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

Reading this I just had a flashback to getting haircuts from old Bobby Richter at University Barbershop while a bunch of old men talk local high school football, Gene says something dumb, Edwin mumbles unintelligibly, and two random guys yell at each other occasionally.
Mr. Bearitto was banned by the cowardly site owners because he stated that U.S. battleships should not be named after weak victims like Emmett Till, like Robby suggested. Apparently the site owners want a ship named in their honor some day. ;)
boognish_bear
BU79
nein51 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Carlos Safety said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

A blind snapper won this same award out of the Pac-12 in 2017. No one threw a fit.

The same people *****ing about Fuller now correctly thought it was a really cool story.

The blind snapper was a pseudo Make a Wish play for a hard working young man. That's all it was. Nobody speculated that disabled players would just start playing more on football teams.

But Sarah Fuller has "changed the game" and "shattered glass ceilings" with her one "historical" kick.

First of all, no one thinks women are going to take over college football. So that's an irrational fear from the jump.

That said, what would be the major problem with more qualified women having the opportunity to play if they really wanted it? Those opportunities would be limited primarily to place kicking roles, so physical danger isn't a major risk. So what's the real hang up here?
There are probably no qualified women to be a legitimate D1 kicker, there are kids everywhere, who can kick it 65 yards plus in the air who get cut at the D1 level because someone can kick it 70 or 75 yards in the air with more hang time. It takes an upper level talent, even upper level for a male, to be a legitimate P5 kicker.

My nephew was one of the top rated kickers in PA his Sr year of HS. Won all sorts of awards, won some kicking contest at a camp...ended up going to Davidson and is a backup kicker (does play some other spots because it isn't D1).

He was probably one of the 100 best kickers in the country and couldn't get a D1 scholarship.

It's comical that people think this was anything other than a stunt. In warm ups it was pretty obvious Vandy would not be kicking unless it was a PAT and I'm not sure they would have kicked then either.

I have no issue with it as a feel good story but when you start handing out awards it's an issue to me. Don't pretend that deserved an award. They could quite literally have taken someone from the stands and had the same result. There are probably 20 guys on that team that could have done that and, while punting and kicking aren't the same, I assure you that the punter damn sure could have done it...and you can drop kick.
In regards to your nephew
It's a numbers game
There are 130 FBS teams and 127 FCS teams
However for the sake of scholarship talk only you would mainly concentrate on FBS
Most every school has on its roster 1 kicker on scholarship and 1-3 walk ons challenging for the position
Some schools will have a KO and a FG kicker sometimes both Are on scholarship sometimes only 1 on scholarship

So assuming a 4 year career., 25% of schools are looking for a kicker in any given year
So that's 32 spots a year
So a rough estimate would be at best every year there are 32 scholarship spots available
I say at best because the reality is unless your in the top 10/15 of the major ranking services and then go to the schools camp and finish 1 or 2 at the camp, your going as a walk on
Most schools offer a walk on virtually every year due to turnover, but not always

Baylor currently has 4 (started season with 5) players on their roster who were kickers in high school
1 on scholarship
3 walk ons
beardoc
historian said:

Carlos Safety said:

How many games did he play in? How many seasons? Is he still playing D1 football now? If he played only part of a season, it's a safe bet his role was more of a PR stunt or a gimmick. It's nothing against the kid but it's also not realistic to expect a blind kid or a girl to play on the same level as 300 pound linemen.
I think he reffed some Big XII games.
Forest Bueller
br53 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

The best player was never allowed to play, Lonnie Green. He was the best I ever saw at Mart.
Didn't Lonnie get to play a year or two before that. Mart had a playoff game in Grand Prairie at the Gopher Bowl I believe, the GP head coach said something to the effect Lonnie was the best RB he had seen all year.

That was coming from the head coach at the top level of HS football, in an elite district. Coach Bomar I believe said it. Lonnie was a badass for sure.
By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
Florda_mike
bear2be2 said:

You guys are some miserable sum*****es. And hilariously insecure ones, too.

If this threatens or offends you in any way, you are the very definition of a snowflake.

I'll go for your post above if .......

What if a blocker on receiving team literally knocked her out of her shoes?

Would that have offended YOU? If so YOU are the very definition of a snowflake too, right?

I'm guessing you've never played football in a pads? The pads and helmet are there for a reason! Women/girls shouldn't be playing football, in pads, against men unless they're ok facing the same consequences as men on a football field!

I'm guessing you're offended by my post? If so, you consider yourself a snowflake?

There's no way I'd let my daughter or granddaughter do that!!! No way
Florda_mike
boognish_bear said:

No way my daughter would line up on other side of ball vs Bulldogs! Kirby is warning em!
SIC EM 94
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Did the blind deep snapper dribble the snap back several yards short of the holder?
Bearitto
This has shades of Michael Sam. Lots of interest by fantasists, but real life will intrude in short order. I hope she doesn't get paralyzed or worse.
Mr. Bearitto was banned by the cowardly site owners because he stated that U.S. battleships should not be named after weak victims like Emmett Till, like Robby suggested. Apparently the site owners want a ship named in their honor some day. ;)
br53
Forest Bueller said:

br53 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

Didn't Lonnie get to play a year or two before that. Mart had a playoff game in Grand Prairie at the Gopher Bowl I believe, the GP head coach said something to the effect Lonnie was the best RB he had seen all year.

That was coming from the head coach at the top level of HS football, in an elite district. Coach Bomar I believe said it. Lonnie was a badass for sure.

He did play until his sophomore or junior year but not what would have been his and John's senior year together. It would have been very bad for those 2a teams if he would have played. One of the best all around athletes I ever saw.
historian
nein51
For sure. Tough place to break through.
BU79
nein51 said:

Very tough

I hope your nephew is enjoying his experience at Davidson
br53
SIC EM 94 said:

bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Did the blind deep snapper dribble the snap back several yards short of the holder?
You see the blind snapper lost his vision at age 12 to cancer. But the difference is USC didnt talk about it all week and make some big deal out of it. They just sent him out there as his reward for sticking thru all the treatment and crap that you have to go thru as a cancer patient/survivor and blind person. Vandy did it because they needed some good PR right to sandwich the fact that they fired a Black coach.
Jack Bauer
0-8 Vandy playing #8 Georgia. It doesn't matter who the kicker will be, I don't see Vanderbilt getting close to the endzone.
nein51
BU79 said:

nein51 said:

Very tough

I hope your nephew is enjoying his experience at Davidson

He loves it there. He's crazy athletic and if he really wanted to could have played D1 baseball. His dad was an OL at PSU in the 80s but had a heart attack and died at like 44-45 so I think he felt sort of obligated to play football.
Wrecks Quan Dough
boognish_bear said:

How do you take those words, sports fans?
br53
Carlos Safety said:

boognish_bear said:

I think Kirby is going to have a return kickoff ready for them where he sends a blocker after the kicker to welcome her to the SEC.
Wrecks Quan Dough
br53 said:

Carlos Safety said:

boognish_bear said:

I think Kirby is going to have a return kickoff ready for them where he sends a blocker after the kicker to welcome her to the SEC.
Yes, I bet she winds up number 2 on the depth chart tomorrow.
Forest Bueller_bf
beardoc said:

historian said:

Carlos Safety said:

I think he reffed some Big XII games.
Excellence.
Forest Bueller_bf
br53 said:

Carlos Safety said:

boognish_bear said:

I kind of doubt it, that would be targeting a defenseless player and a personal foul and 15 yard penalty goes with it.

Now if she runs down the field like a normal kicker, plays her position as a safety on the kickoff, someone might have to block her. I doubt they light her up though. Just wouldn't go over well.
Jack Bauer
I don't know what dumbazz asked that question. If you have to ask this and for the other coach to have a plan for this, then there is no equality.

On whether he has had or plans to have a conversation with his kickoff team about Vanderbilt's Sarah Fuller in regards to safety

Kirby Smart: "Probably not. I've never had to have that conversation before. I'm not going to change and have the conversation now. We don't account for the kicker in our returns. I don't think anybody in the country accounts for the kicker. You assume that if you get to the kicker you did a pretty good job in the return game. We don't plan on having a conversation about it. She plays a very physical sport, to be honest with you. I've seen some pretty brutal collisions without a helmet and without gear on, so I'm sure she can take care of herself when it comes to that. That's not something that we really concern ourselves with, because we don't assign anybody to the kicker."
br53
Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

Carlos Safety said:

boognish_bear said:

I kind of doubt it, that would be targeting a defenseless player and a personal foul and 15 yard penalty goes with it.

Now if she runs down the field like a normal kicker, plays her position as a safety on the kickoff, someone might have to block her. I doubt they light her up though. Just wouldn't go over well.

When UGA is running it back and they will, if she is in the way she is getting hit
Jack Bauer
Look at this. What a **** article.
Maybe Vandy deserves a player that can kick it further than 30 yards.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/sarah-fuller-deserves-better-so-lets-hope-vanderbilt-can-give-georgia-a-real-game/ar-BB1bz2y8

Sarah Fuller Deserves Better So Let's Hope Vanderbilt Can Give Georgia a Real Game

Quote:

Sarah Fuller will travel with the Vanderbilt Commodores to Athens this weekend to kick against the No. 8 Georgia Bulldogs. After becoming the first woman to play in an Power 5 game last weekend, she is again Vandy's best option at kicker. All that's left standing between her and history is her team.

Fuller's story is an important one, but the circumstances kind of stink. She's kicking for the lowest-scoring team in the toughest conference in college football. Vanderbilt is 0-8 and has scored just 14.3 points per game this season, the third-lowest average in all of college football. They have attempted just seven field goals and 15 extra points in eight games.

No disrespect to Vanderbilt, an excellent university, but they stink at football. If the NCAA had any heart, they'd let her switch teams this weekend so she could guarantee she could kick some footballs that could be exchanged for points on the board. With Vandy facing their fourth ranked opponent of the season, the prospects of Fuller getting a chance to exhibit her full range of kicking skills against the 20th-best scoring defense in FBS is low.

We know she will have the opportunity for one kickoff. Will they let her really get after one or would it be better to do another targeted squib kick to prove to the jealous haters out there that she did actually mean to do that?

And after that kick, who knows. Vanderbilt managed four field goal attempts and four extra point attempts in their three previous games against their ranked SEC opponents. This is the definition of "So you're telling me there's a chance."

It's a lot of pressure on everyone involved. Vanderbilt should really want this. Fuller's success would be a bright silver lining on a bad season. Most importantly, it would be success on the team's part. They probably won't upset Georgia, unless we're currently living in a sports movie simulation. But moving the ball and getting points on the board against Georgia would be great for everyone involved. It would be a reason for Vanderbilt to celebrate this cursed college football season and a reason for the rest of the country to celebrate Vanderbilt football.

Last weekend a bunch of people watched Vanderbilt football. When Fuller kicked off, it was a nice moment for little girls to see what is actually possible. This week, Vanderbilt has a chance to give all those people something to really celebrate. Who knows when we'll get another chance.
Jack Bauer
br53 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

Carlos Safety said:

boognish_bear said:

When UGA is running it back and they will, if she is in the way she is getting hit
1) She may squib it like last week so there is no runback.
2) There will probably only be 1 kickoff from Vandy like last week.
3) Perhaps Vandy will tackle the UGA returner but their roster is very depleted, just barely above the minimum 53 scholarship players so maybe not.
4) If UGA returner gets past everyone, he will most likely just blow by the kicker untouched anyway.
5) If you want to get into conspiracy theories,the Vandy special team could "boycott" the kickoff and not try to tackle just to embarrass her.

Wrecks Quan Dough
Jack Bauer said:

br53 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

Carlos Safety said:

boognish_bear said:

5) If you want to get into conspiracy theories,the Vandy special team could "boycott" the kickoff and not try to tackle just to embarrass her.

I cannot imagine them doing that.
Forest Bueller_bf
br53 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

br53 said:

Carlos Safety said:

boognish_bear said:

True.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.