Culture and Society 2021

13,067 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cobretti
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Might as well start this thing. This year should be a doozy.

I remember Dev Patel played the character of David Copperfield without any riots but...

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
We apparently don't want our kids to go to school and teachers don't want to teach because their union says they don't have to. Yes, 2021 should be fun.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Jack Bauer
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

We apparently don't want our kids to go to school and teachers don't want to teach because their union says they don't have to. Yes, 2021 should be fun.

Jack Bauer
Here we go...coming to your public school soon.

ATL Bear
ATL Bear
Jack Bauer said:

Not radical, normal....
Jack Bauer
Doc Holliday
The party of science.

nein51
Jack Bauer said:

You should be more pissed about the expansion of government held within those few paragraphs.

I really hate the people who are ruining this country with frivolous garbage like arguing against the words son or daughter. We desperately need to stop catering to that .01% of the population.
nein51
Doc Holliday said:

The party of science.

Im a big fat guy. I probably dont look much different than she does (though my ankles are way nicer, just sayin). My vitals are all pretty decent; no high blood pressure, no diabetes, etc, etc...to the point where any Dr that sees me is always somewhat shocked.

What I am not is healthy. From major issues with gout to trouble sleeping to back pains to foot pain to decreased energy, etc, etc. It is a damned travesty that we are teaching that she (or I) am healthy. That weight has proven to dramatically reduce life span, increase medical expenses at end of life, be a precursor for heart attacks and strokes and on and on and on.

It's mostly sad that we are more concerned about someone's feelings than we are about their actual well being.

She isnt healthy; she is fat and I am willing to bet you *ANY* sum of money that if given the choice of thin with none of the work required she would take it in an instance, 100 times out of 100.
BaylorFTW
Jack Bauer said:

I remember Dev Patel played the character of David Copperfield without any riots but...

Following this logic, actors couldn't do any role unless they had previously worked that job or came from that exact background (ethnic, cultural, etc.). This would mean all sports movies could only be done with former professional athletes. This would also mean that gay actors couldn't play straight roles. And they couldn't reboot movies with "modern casts" because it would be cultural appropriation or not authentic.

This is a case of feelings getting beyond reality. When you get down to it, the whole point of being an actor is to take on a different persona or a range of different personas. If you are just playing yourself, you are not really acting.
Jack Bauer
BaylorFTW said:

Jack Bauer said:

Following this logic, actors couldn't do any role unless they had previously worked that job or came from that exact background (ethnic, cultural, etc.). This would mean all sports movies could only be done with former professional athletes. This would also mean that gay actors couldn't play straight roles. And they couldn't reboot movies with "modern casts" because it would be cultural appropriation or not authentic.

This is a case of feelings getting beyond reality. When you get down to it, the whole point of being an actor is to take on a different persona or a range of different personas. If you are just playing yourself, you are not really acting.

They have remade movies with original white cast members - Cinderella, the Wizard of Oz, Annie, 12 Angry Men, Karate Kid, and Steel Magnolias - with black actors. Is that a violation of the rules? Are we supposed to be upset?

This is about as stupid as saying black actors have to fill black CARTOON (voices only) roles!!
Jack Bauer
whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

Expect them to crown Duke as women's basketball champs any day now.
Jack Bauer
whitetrash said:

Jack Bauer said:

Expect them to crown Duke as women's basketball champs any day now.

One scientist predicted 7-13 players would DIE from Covid this season. They have to be so disappointed
Doc Holliday
nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

The party of science.

Im a big fat guy. I probably dont look much different than she does (though my ankles are way nicer, just sayin). My vitals are all pretty decent; no high blood pressure, no diabetes, etc, etc...to the point where any Dr that sees me is always somewhat shocked.

What I am not is healthy. From major issues with gout to trouble sleeping to back pains to foot pain to decreased energy, etc, etc. It is a damned travesty that we are teaching that she (or I) am healthy. That weight has proven to dramatically reduce life span, increase medical expenses at end of life, be a precursor for heart attacks and strokes and on and on and on.

It's mostly sad that we are more concerned about someone's feelings than we are about their actual well being.

She isnt healthy; she is fat and I am willing to bet you *ANY* sum of money that if given the choice of thin with none of the work required she would take it in an instance, 100 times out of 100.
It's such a horrible idea to encourage women or anyone that being morbidly obese is normal. You're basically telling young kids to not exercise and to not worry about their health.

This concept going mainstream literally equals death.
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

nein51 said:

Doc Holliday said:

The party of science.

It's such a horrible idea to encourage women or anyone that being morbidly obese is normal. You're basically telling young kids to not exercise and to not worry about their health.

This concept going mainstream literally equals death.
It fits in nicely with political concept of Bio-Leninism.

"Traditional Leninism believing the vanguard of the revolution should be based on the working class and very formal, BioLen alters that and believes in a Vanguard that is based of lower status in ways other economic especially (like the name suggests) genetic although not necessarily with examples including people who are LGBTQ+, Overweight, Migrant Origin, Ethnic Minority Origin, Disabled, etc."
Jack Bauer
How feminism ruins everything

Jack Bauer
Who the F cares if '80 has-beens play for lame duck President Trump in a private ceremony? The left does.

Berlin's Terri Nunn Apologizes for Playing Mar-a-Lago Gig, Slams 'Lack of Regard for the Pandemic' at Trump Resort

Singer Taylor Dayne defends herself after New Year's Eve performance at Mar-a-Lago: 'I try to stay non-political'
Jack Bauer
Racism - rinse and repeat.

What the outcry from Kumail Nanjiani's sculpted body tells us about racism, masculinity standards

Quote:

But experts say the outcry over the actor's chiseled physique is a result of systemic racism and a misguided standard of masculinity.

When a white male celebrity bulks up think John Krasinski or Chris Pratt people are less inclined to critique and more inclined to thirst.

"Popular culture is steeped in histories of racism and colonialism that create hierarchies of desirability, sexiness, and masculinity," Jigna Desai, a professor of gender, women and sexuality studies at the University of Minnesota, tells USA TODAY. She refers to this as the "white gaze."

"White men are often seen at the top of this hierarchy," she says. "Black men too are often associated with athleticism, sexiness and masculinity. Asian American men, including South Asian American men, on the other hand are stereotyped as unattractive, nerdy, not sexual, and certainly not buff."

nein51
When I lived in Saudi the guy who ran the gym was from Sri Lanka. That dude was RIPPED. One of the biggest guys I've ever seen.
Jack Bauer
White women.....am I right?

White women have always been part of white supremacy in America.
If we ignore the role of women in enabling the US Capitol riots, argues @annanorthtweets, we can't understand white supremacy in the US let alone dismantle it. https://t.co/BVNJg4Urcj
Vox (@voxdotcom) January 16, 2021

ATL Bear
Jack Bauer said:

If we ignore the role of women in enabling the US Capitol riots, argues @annanorthtweets, we can't understand white supremacy in the US let alone dismantle it. https://t.co/BVNJg4Urcj

Vox. Another quality "news" organization...
Jack Bauer
ATL Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

97% of black women vote Democrat but yet we have a white supremacy problem because just over 50% of white women voted for Trump.
ATL Bear
Jack Bauer said:

ATL Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

97% of black women vote Democrat but yet we have a white supremacy problem because just over 50% of white women voted for Trump.
The American black community is the most successful in the world by far. We don't have a supremacy problem because they're part of the supremacy.
Jack Bauer
WTAF? I swore this was satire.

Jack Bauer
Jack Bauer

A number of critics have taken notice of the series' whiteness as well: Salon culture senior editor Hanh Nguyen, who has been critical of the series in the past, told The Times that "the only main character of color who has any sort of interiority is Miguel." "Danny LaRusso, Italian kid from Jersey," as Vanity Fair's Sonia Saraiya put it about the first two seasons, "is the most Japanese character on this show."

As Times TV critic Lorraine Ali writes, "Cobra Kai" has successfully mined laughs and pathos from Johnny's transformation through his proximity to an immigrant family. It's also scrutinized how Kreese's brand of karate perpetuates a cycle of militant toxic masculinity. But it has been slow to explore Daniel's own blind spots beyond a moment of clueless "sushi-splaining" and his bewilderment that his karate-chopping commercials might be seen as cultural appropriation.

"The thing I'd like to see them do is to go beyond this suburban idyllic space, this white pocket dimension, more deeply," said writer and podcaster Jeff Yang, who has covered the series for Quartz. "What if they actually did encounter people who embraced martial arts not just to overcome bullying, but because it's part of a larger tradition that exists within people of color communities?"
Jack Bauer
A public high school teacher in San Francisco named Ingrid Seyer-Ochi, who wrote an op-ed for the San Francisco Chronicle that appeared on Sunday and quickly went viral. Seyer-Ochi's objection was to the "privilege, white privilege, male privilege and class privilege" symbolized by Sanders's choice of a relatively casual Burton snowboarding jacket and repurposed wool mittens.

"This," she told her students about the images from that day, "is white supremacy, this is white privilege. It can be hard to pinpoint, but when we see, it, we know it."

ATL Bear
Jack Bauer said:

A public high school teacher in San Francisco named Ingrid Seyer-Ochi, who wrote an op-ed for the San Francisco Chronicle that appeared on Sunday and quickly went viral. Seyer-Ochi's objection was to the "privilege, white privilege, male privilege and class privilege" symbolized by Sanders's choice of a relatively casual Burton snowboarding jacket and repurposed wool mittens.

"This," she told her students about the images from that day, "is white supremacy, this is white privilege. It can be hard to pinpoint, but when we see, it, we know it."

Apparently we're so culturally sensitive you can't even just look old-manish.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jack Bauer said:

WTAF? I swore this was satire.

So Justin is trying to search his soul and find his way not to disrespect butt pirates? Good for him. Just a reminder of why I don't watch golf. For the record, butt pirates need love too. Who cares? Less drama. More golf.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
nein51
In defense of the internet the response to that article was overwhelmingly negative from both sides. Seems that regardless of party most people realize when you're being a ridiculous ******.

Her op-ed starts with the notion that the people on 1/6 were white supremacists. I wonder how actual white supremacists feel about all of these other people being labeled. They have to be thinking "this is membership only and you're not a real member".
Jack Bauer
The worst mayor in America begging people to move back to NYC. Don't ever trust someone who has changed his name twice.

Jack Bauer
5 things we must normalize for men:
1- Crying
2- Sharing the care
3- Showing emotions
4- Seeking help
5- Sharing feelings
UN Women (@UN_Women) February 2, 2021

So....more women?
Jack Bauer

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.