"Frozen Wind Turbines.." from ERCOT

16,175 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fadskier
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.ercot.com/news/releases/show/225151
Mitch Blood Green
And
HuMcK
Happens every now and then. The problem this time is ERCOT is having some trouble getting enough guys to the physical site to crew the control room, at a time when demand/consumption is very high.
whitetrash
Somebody feed more legumes to the unicorns; need more farts as a power source!
Bexar Pitts
tommie said:

And
Just a friendly "PSA" :-) I did find it a "brow raiser" that in the day of Alternative energy sources....the turbines were frozen and that natural gas (that is so plentiful that it's burned off at the well site) was in limited supply to the generating units. Just bored I guess...probably shouldn't have put it up. Hope everybody stays warm..take care of the pets..
Wrecks Quan Dough
You can build a mansion, but you just can't live in it
You're the fastest runner but you're not allowed to win
Some break the rules, and let you cut the cost
The insecurity is the thing that won't get lost
HuMcK

Bexar Pitts
And we're about 20 degrees in Central Texas...that could be the high for the next 48 hours...Businesses reopen tomorrow, so what does that do to demand ? Hoping for the best...
Bexar Pitts
Carlos Safety said:

Too dayum cold for "deep thought ! " :-)
Wrecks Quan Dough
Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

I just keep it at 80s music lyrics.
Bexar Pitts
Carlos Safety said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

If it ain't Ernest Tubb, i don't recognize it! :-)
Wrecks Quan Dough
Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

That guy look like T. Herman Zweibel from the Onion.
Bexar Pitts
Carlos Safety said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

The "Texas Troubadour" would have been 107 last Tuesday..I thought he was 107 in the 70's. :-) His music was Classic Country..Loved by many, many people..including me..Takes me back to another time altogether..Sometimes I really miss those days.
Osodecentx
tommie said:

And
We need every KwH of electricity we can get.
On some days Texas (ERCOT) gets over 50% of her electricity from renewables, mostly wind turbines.

"We are experiencing record-breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas," said ERCOT President and CEO Bill Magness. "At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units. We are asking Texans to take some simple, safe steps to lower their energy use during this time."
Osodecentx
Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

The "Texas Troubadour" would have been 107 last Tuesday..I thought he was 107 in the 70's. :-) His music was Classic Country..Loved by many, many people..including me..Takes me back to another time altogether..Sometimes I really miss those days.
Me too.
Let's waltz across Texas
Bexar Pitts
Osodecentx said:

tommie said:

And
On some days Texas (ERCOT) gets over 50% of her electricity from renewables, mostly wind turbines.

"We are experiencing record-breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas," said ERCOT President and CEO Bill Magness. "At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units. We are asking Texans to take some simple, safe steps to lower their energy use during this time."
It's gonna be a very interesting next few days in terms of power generation..With some businesses opening tomorrow, will that put demand in an emergency situation? The Texas grid is huge, but this cold snap has zeroed in on us. We've even pulled power from Mexico during the heat related "rolling brownouts" in past years...I hope we heed the advice and conserve what energy we can in our households.
Baylor3216
Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And
Just a friendly "PSA" :-) I did find it a "brow raiser" that in the day of Alternative energy sources....the turbines were frozen and that natural gas (that is so plentiful that it's burned off at the well site) was in limited supply to the generating units. Just bored I guess...probably shouldn't have put it up. Hope everybody stays warm..take care of the pets..

People may get cold or die but by God they are saving the planet!
Iron Claw
And the sun has shone only one day out of the last five. Not gonna get much solar electricity under these conditions. Glad we've got some fossil fuels up here to rely on.
FKA tri it
Osodecentx
Bexar Pitts said:

Osodecentx said:

tommie said:

And

It's gonna be a very interesting next few days in terms of power generation..With some businesses opening tomorrow, will that put demand in an emergency situation? The Texas grid is huge, but this cold snap has zeroed in on us. We've even pulled power from Mexico during the heat related "rolling brownouts" in past years...I hope we heed the advice and conserve what energy we can in our households.
Hadn't heard about Mexican electricity
Bexar Pitts
Osodecentx said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Osodecentx said:

tommie said:

And

Yep..Texas got power from Mexico in 2011 , during another record cold Feb cold snap, and again during the heat related rolling blackouts that summer. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we see more rolling blackouts during this severe cold spell...with help from other grids onto ours..including Mexico..
Robert Wilson
Next few days gonna get really dicey.

You go sub 28 with any moisture and you lose 65% of the Texas wind turbine fleet. Get sub 23 and you lose the rest of them. Solar ... well that needs no explanation.
Osodecentx
Bexar Pitts said:

Osodecentx said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Osodecentx said:

tommie said:

And

Yep..Texas got power from Mexico in 2011 , during another record cold Feb cold snap, and again during the heat related rolling blackouts that summer. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we see more rolling blackouts during this severe cold spell...with help from other grids onto ours..including Mexico..
I thought we only had DC connections with the East and West grids (AC comes to an interconnection, converted to DC and then back to AC). Are we able to get significant power like that?

I just googled mexico electricity. I had no idea we were doing that.

quash
Baylor3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And

Yeah, if you lose alternative energy every night and a few days every decade or so then might as well replace all that power with coal-fired power plants. Won't change MY life so...
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
J.B.Katz
Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Carlos Safety said:

Me, too. Walkin' the Floor Over You is still a classic.
EatMoreSalmon
quash said:

Baylor3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And

Yeah, if you lose alternative energy every night and a few days every decade or so then might as well replace all that power with coal-fired power plants. Won't change MY life so...
Are you lost in the snow and going crazy?
Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

Baylor3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And

Yeah, coal is your only other option. Gas, oil, and nukes are sad because of your post.
quash
Carlos Safety said:

quash said:

Baylor3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And

Yeah, coal is your only other option. Gas, oil, and nukes are sad because of your post.
Oil refineries are shut down, too, so...
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

Carlos Safety said:

quash said:

Baylor3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And

This is going to shock the living doo doo out of you. But oil-fired plants get that stuff in advance and keep it in storage facilities.
quash
Carlos Safety said:

quash said:

Carlos Safety said:

quash said:

Baylor3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And

This is going to shock the living doo doo out of you. But oil-fired plants get that stuff in advance and keep it in storage facilities.

Yippee. So they'll be producing when wind and solar crank up again.
Wrecks Quan Dough
quash said:

Carlos Safety said:

quash said:

Carlos Safety said:

quash said:

Baylor3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And

Yippee. So they'll be producing when wind and solar crank up again.
They will still be producing when the clouds clear and the turbines eventually get moving. Just like they were before we decided to move to and subsidize loser "renewables."
quash
Carlos Safety said:

quash said:

Baylor3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

tommie said:

And

Huh.

"Two things happened last night to contribute to these outages. First, demand was extraordinarily high across the state, Mercado said. And then, beginning at about 1 am, generating units started to shut down. This is almost certainly due to extremely cold conditions. Eventually about one-third of the anticipated capacity went offline. This included a handful of freezing wind turbines, but the majority of the volume losses were due to coal and natural gas plants going offline."
Jack and DP
Booray
Have relatives in Abilene, pretty rough go of it. No water or power for an extended time now.
EatMoreSalmon
It's crazy that north and central Texas plants would not be fitted for temps ranging from below zero to 120 degrees.

We had a similar round of single digit temps 40 years ago, close to the time many plants were constructed.
BaylorBJM
I guess we're not quite ready for that whole TEXIT thing are we?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.