Proof of God or Presence of God?

12,899 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Waco1947
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I have faith in the pilot of my flight, in the driver in the oncoming lane, in the pharmacy techs. I have faith in my wife, my kids and to a certain extent, my employer. I also know that all those I described are flawed and subject to make mistakes, change their priorities or become distracted. They are not big enough, knowledgeable enough, loving enough, powerful enough to be worthy of my worship.

A Christian must have faith, no doubt. But isn't it great that we can have faith in a Father and Savior worthy of that faith?
God's love makes God worthy. That is enough.
prior to sending out the twelve, did Jesus give them information on faith or did He give the the power to perform miracles, to heal?

Sunday morning, you're telling the lost to have faith in who, in what and why?
I believe I answered this question when I responded to Jesus calming the sea
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I have faith in the pilot of my flight, in the driver in the oncoming lane, in the pharmacy techs. I have faith in my wife, my kids and to a certain extent, my employer. I also know that all those I described are flawed and subject to make mistakes, change their priorities or become distracted. They are not big enough, knowledgeable enough, loving enough, powerful enough to be worthy of my worship.

A Christian must have faith, no doubt. But isn't it great that we can have faith in a Father and Savior worthy of that faith?
But what makes God, God?
Love. God is relational love. I John 3: 11 For this is the message you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
I John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 God's love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might live through him.
Justice, God is justice. James 2: 5 Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters. Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom that he has promised to those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who oppress you? Is it not they who drag you into court?
Luke 1:His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
51 He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
52 He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

But what makes God, God?
Love. God is relational love. I John 3: 11 For this is the message you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
I John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 God's love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might live through him.
Justice, God is justice. James 2: 5 Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters. Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom that he has promised to those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who oppress you? Is it not they who drag you into court?
and lifted up the lowly;
Loving your neighbor and loving justice are certainly worthy aspirations. MLK taught such things as well, as did Gandhi. But that didn't make either of them God. It made them good men whose teachings we should aspire to. But neither was divine. Agreed?

So again, I ask: in your opinion, what divine attributes does/did Jesus possess, if any? What makes him God, if you believe he was?
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

But what makes God, God?
and lifted up the lowly;
Loving your neighbor and loving justice are certainly worthy aspirations. MLK taught such things as well, as did Gandhi. But that didn't make either of them God. It made them good men whose teachings we should aspire to. But neither was divine. Agreed?

So again, I ask: in your opinion, what divine attributes does/did Jesus possess, if any? What makes him God, if you believe he was?
God is love. Jesus was God incarnate.

Chandigarh and MLK? I never made a claim about Jesus simply a good man. You are being obtuse.
I answer the question makes a god a god Answer God is love
LIB,MR BEARS
Here is a hypothetical:

A pastor is speaking with an agnostic. The agnostic has already said that he loves his family and his family loves him. How do you tell him about God?
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Here is a hypothetical:

A pastor is speaking with an agnostic. The agnostic has already said that he loves his family and his family loves him. How do you tell him about God?
That as a disciple of Christ his love will deepen for his family and extend to his neighbor. .
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Here is a hypothetical:

That as a disciple of Christ his love will deepen for his family and extend to his neighbor. .
what does that tell him about God? I believe the thing about an agnostic is that they aren't sure if there is a god. You are saying the earthly incarnation of the thing he is not sure even exist will deepen his love. Why would that make sense to him or anyone else?
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

But what makes God, God?
and lifted up the lowly;

Chandigarh and MLK? I never made a claim about Jesus simply a good man. You are being obtuse.

I never suggested you made a claim about Jesus being a man. I asked what divine attributes he possessed. So far I've heard he taught us to love one another. But as I pointed out - that is not a divine attribute. That is merely something other good men have taught us.

What makes Christ different from man? Is he god? Is he divine? Is he alive today?
George Truett
SSadler1 said:

I really like Buechner. Though, yes, he is considered a theologian by discipline, he writes for the laity rather than as dialogue with other Systematic Theologians.

Though I used to be one of those "professional theologians" (but I would never call myself "systematic") I am quite certain we need MORE Buechners and FEWER systematics. You ever tried to preach from Schleiermacher, Tillich, Gonzales or Whitehead?

(After all, who really knows what "asiety" means in the context of God's existence; and, what difference does it make--provable or not--when in awe at the birth of a child or in angsty at the deathbed of a friend?)

Good stuff, 47. Thanks for the post.
Being more of a biblical theologian than a systematic one, I like this approach as well.

That's because the Bible is definitely not systematic in its theology.

There's definitely a place for systematic theology, but it isn't necessarily "biblical."
George Truett
Mothra said:

Is a god that has no control over nature really god at all?
A God who chooses not to is.
Mothra
George Truett said:

Mothra said:

Don't disagree. But as I understand Waco's argument, God does not have that choice. He has an inability to control nature.

Thus, my question, which remains unanswered, is what divine attributes does God actually possess? Waco has yet to name them.

Florda_mike
BellCountyBear said:

Mothra said:

47 is an educated idiot. That's all you need to know.

Idk about the "educated" but it does appear Waco has learned to copy/paste recently and finally
Waco1947
Mothra said:

George Truett said:

Mothra said:

Don't disagree. But as I understand Waco's argument, God does not have that choice. He has an inability to control nature.

Thus, my question, which remains unanswered, is what divine attributes does God actually possess? Waco has yet to name them.

Yes, I did. Love and justice and i cited scriptures
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

But what makes God, God?
and lifted up the lowly;

I never suggested you made a claim about Jesus being a man. I asked what divine attributes he possessed. So far I've heard he taught us to love one another. But as I pointed out - that is not a divine attribute. That is merely something other good men have taught us.

What makes Christ different from man? Is he god? Is he divine? Is he alive today?
I did not say "he taught us love" but rather God is love; transcendent throughout time and space and incarnate in Jesus.
LIB,MR BEARS
47, do you believe Jesus healed lepers?
Do you believe he made a blind man see by making clay and rubbing it on his eyes?
Do you believe he made the lame walk?
Do you believe he brought Lazarus back to life?
Do you believe he reattached the ear of Malchus?
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

But what makes God, God?
and lifted up the lowly;

I did not say "he taught us love" but rather God is love; transcendent throughout time and space and incarnate in Jesus.
So, it is your belief that God and Jesus are alive today?
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

George Truett said:

Mothra said:

I don't understand how those are divine attributes. Being loving and loving justice are attributes that mortal man possesses. What makes being loving and loving justice divine?
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

But what makes God, God?
and lifted up the lowly;

So, it is your belief that God and Jesus are alive today?
Yes they transcend time and space
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

George Truett said:

Mothra said:

I don't understand how those are divine attributes. Being loving and loving justice are attributes that mortal man possesses. What makes being loving and loving justice divine?
of course we humans possess those attributes (or powers).
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947, it's really simple: you have no faith.

You can not prove God can't control the universe, nor can you prove God is love; so why do you take one on faith, but not the other? Remember, YOU make the claim that God can't control the universe, so YOU have to prove it. I'll make it easier for you - you won't be able to. If you think you can, then by all means, present your proof.

Moreover, why do you accept scripture that supports that God is love and justice, but reject scripture (even when it's in the SAME book you're quoting!) that says he has power over the physical universe? If it is wrong about God's power, then it's not reliable or authoritative about anything else, including its claims about love.

Hebrews 11:3 pretty much sums up your problem:
"By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible."

You don't have faith. It's that simple.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

George Truett said:

Mothra said:

of course we humans possess those attributes (or powers).
So, how is God different than humans? How is Jesus different from humans?
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You can not prove God can't control the universe, nor can you prove God is love; so why do you take one on faith, but not the other? Remember, YOU make the claim that God can't control the universe, so YOU have to prove it. I'll make it easier for you - you won't be able to. If you think you can, then by all means, present your proof.

Moreover, why do you accept scripture that supports that God is love and justice, but reject scripture (even when it's in the SAME book you're quoting!) that says he has power over the physical universe? If it is wrong about God's power, then it's not reliable or authoritative about anything else, including its claims about love.

"By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible."

I have faith in and on Jesus Christ as my Savior amd Lord.
My faith is not for you to decide.
LIB,MR BEARS
If a person picks and chooses what attributes of God to believe in and not to believe in, have they not created a god for themselves?
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

How is Jesus different from mortal man?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I'm not deciding your faith.
I'm saying according to Hebrews 11:3 you don't have it.
Is Hebrews wrong?

Waco1947
I'm not chasing the rabbit of "Waco, you have no faith."
Till answer your questions. But not tonight.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

If you have faith, it's not in the Jesus of the bible. It's in your own watered down version of him.
Florda_mike
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

If you have faith, it's not in the Jesus of the bible. It's in your own watered down version of him.

Maybe Waco is an incognito Satanist?

Serious question
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

I watered down the good news of Jesus Christ The Son of God? He died on a cross for us and lives again and loves you and me. He died a Death on behalf of love for us is not watered down what part of my statement is not the Jesus of the Bible?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

I watered down the good news of Jesus Christ The Son of God? He died on a cross for us and lives again and loves you and me. He died a Death on behalf of love for us is not watered down what part of my statement is not the Jesus of the Bible?
Your Jesus is a Jesus that had no part in our creation; he was absolutely powerless in how we came into existence. So we weren't made for God and Jesus. This is diametrically opposed to the bible and the gospels.

Your Jesus had no control over nature, despite the witness of his disciples saying that he did.

Your Jesus did not physically rise from the dead, despite that being the testimony of his disciples that they swore to and gave their life for. You don't even have any idea why Jesus had to die in the first place.

Therefore, for these reasons, as well as many others, you've rejected the Jesus of the gospels and bible.

BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco47, still waiting for your answer - is Hebrews 11:3 wrong?
fadskier
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Here is a hypothetical:

What about to an unborn child?
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Your Jesus is a Jesus that had no part in our creation; he was absolutely powerless in how we came into existence. So we weren't made for God and Jesus. This is diametrically opposed to the bible and the gospels.

Your Jesus had no control over nature, despite the witness of his disciples saying that he did.

Your Jesus did not physically rise from the dead, despite that being the testimony of his disciples that they swore to and gave their life for. You don't even have any idea why Jesus had to die in the first place.

Therefore, for these reasons, as well as many others, you've rejected the Jesus of the gospels and bible.

Jesus did have that power but scripture says he did. He did so show what faith on him was like spiritually. Look at texts of miracles with faith eyes not literally eyes. Faith eyes is the point to our discipleship.
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco47, still waiting for your answer - is Hebrews 11:3 wrong?
The Bible is very comfortable with an all powerful God however physics says differently about what power is. Ultimately the power of God rest in the power of the cross. As Paul says in cross.I Corthinians "God chose to save only those who believe the foolish message we preach. 22 Jews ask for miracles, and Greeks want something that sounds wise. 23 But we preach that Christ was nailed to a cross. Most Jews have problems with this, and most Gentiles think it is foolish. 24 Our message is God's power and wisdom for the Jews and the Greeks that he has chosen. 25 Even when God is foolish, he is wiser than everyone else, and even when God is weak, he is stronger."
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Do you believe Jesus is alive right now?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.