Hammers, nails, and electricity

1,381 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jupiter
BaylorGuy314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
/Begin Rant

Am I the only one that's just exhausted by politics? Take this recent Texas electricity drama.

A bunch of Rs are out there pointing at renewable energy and blaming "unreliable" green energy sources for failing us.

A bunch of Ds are out there pointing at Rs and electric producers that didn't require winterization and didn't want to connect to interstate grids because of greed/less oversight.

In the end, there are just a bunch of political hammers looking for a single nail to hit that coincides with their agenda.

And I'm sick of it. When does this end? Where does it end?

Almost nothing in life is that simplistic but everyone wants to boil it down to that.

I'm 40 years old and it seems that it's always been this way. Maybe it hasn't. Maybe it has and there are just tons of additional media avenues to see/consume said opinions now. Either way, it's just exhausting and discouraging.

/End Rant

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Agree with you, Sir. It is exhausting. When I was growing up, there were very subtle differences in the two parties. Now it seems just about everything is politicized. I am making the effort to limit my time watching the news, which has helped.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Stop voting for the same old same old.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Doc Holliday
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

How do we get society to do so?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86

LOL! Joe Biden is the poster boy for same old same old.

-- Barack Obama
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Thats a big reason I didnt vote for him.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Redbrickbear
It the modern world...everything is politicized.

bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

Get to four legitimate parties (far right, moderate right, moderate left, far left), so that candidates on each side of the political spectrum actually have to work for their votes.

As long as it's a binary choice and you're voting against candidates/ideas as often as voting for their opponents, we'll continue to get what we've always gotten.
BaylorOkie
Preach.
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Get to four legitimate parties (far right, moderate right, moderate left, far left), so that candidates on each side of the political spectrum actually have to work for their votes.

As long as it's a binary choice and you're voting against candidates/ideas as often as voting for their opponents, we'll continue to get what we've always gotten.
Ok, but how?
Jack and DP
It hasn't always been that way. When I was a kid (54 now), the news was 30 minutes and the paper came once a day.
Now we have 24 hour "news" and a mad dash to break the story, accuracy be damned.
Shippou
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

You don't get change through electoralism, all you get is the status quo.
jupiter
Quote:

aim low, start at the bottom & work your way up. Be a person of integrity and set a good example. Don't worry about holding politicians in high far away places accountable, worry about being a role model for the people closest to you.

Influence your friends and family,that they may influence their friends and their families. Your friends and family sets an example for your community, your community sets an example for your city, your city for your county, your county for your state, your state for your country.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Doc Holliday
Shippou said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

This.
curtpenn
Shippou said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yes. Maybe that's a win given possible alternatives? My take is nationalism as an organizing idea is passing away for a great many reasons. Once we lose over-arching/unifying ideas, we will morph back into some version of tribes; which I believe is our inherent default mode. This is why culture matters. Identity politics works for those seeking office and seeking control. Not so much for citizens. I find it difficult to give up on my idea of being an American, but perhaps it's for the best. From a Christian perspective, maybe this is a positive? Just know it makes me deeply sad and concerned for my children and grandchildren who will live in a world I mostly despise.
jupiter

Porteroso
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Hard to characterize an incumbent as anything but same old... Certainly I will have had enough of Biden after this term. Just please don't let Trump run against him again.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Porteroso said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Hard to characterize an incumbent as anything but same old... Certainly I will have had enough of Biden after this term. Just please don't let Trump run against him again.
We have common ground. I hope Biden survives these next four years and makes it through, and Donald Trump does not run again in 2024.

Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's in his second term but had really great people in his cabinet and support staff. Does not appear Joe Biden will have the same luxury. We shall see.

-- Barack Obama
J.B.Katz
Doc Holliday said:

Stop doing it yourself?
jupiter
https://vimeo.com/19513149

Buddha Bear
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'd be happy with 3 parties. A middle party would keep the crazies in check.
jupiter

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.