More on CRT

1,206 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Robert Wilson
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.theepochtimes.com/smith-college-staffer-quits-over-anti-white-racism_3705274.html?utm_source=morningbriefnoe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mb-2021-02-22

A female employee of Smith College has resigned, accusing the elite women's university of creating a "racially hostile environment" against white people.
Jodi Shaw, who had been a student support coordinator, recently sent a resignation letter to leadership at the Massachusetts college that said the environment left her "physically and mentally debilitated."
"I can no longer work in this environment, nor can I remain silent about a matter so central to basic human dignity and freedom," according to the letter, which was published by columnist Bari Weiss.
Smith College didn't immediately respond to a request by The Epoch Times for comment.
An alumna of the private liberal arts institution, Shaw said the culture changed significantly after a 2018 incident, in which a black student accused a white staffer of racism for calling campus security on her. While an investigation showed no evidence of racial bias, the college put in place a list of initiatives aimed at fighting "systemic racism" on campus.
Yet the ideology driving the efforts seemed more concerned with inflaming anti-white sentiment rather than mitigating any form of racism, based on Shaw's account.
"I endured racially hostile comments, and was expected to participate in racially prejudicial behavior as a continued condition of my employment," Shaw said in her letter.
"I endured meetings in which another staff member violently banged his fist on the table, chanting 'Rich, white women! Rich, white women!' in reference to Smith alumnae. I listened to my supervisor openly name preferred racial quotas for job openings in our department. I was given supplemental literature in which the world's population was reduced to two categories'dominant group members' and 'subordinated group members'based solely on characteristics like race.
"Every day, I watch my colleagues manage student conflict through the lens of race, projecting rigid assumptions and stereotypes on students, thereby reducing them to the color of their skin. I am asked to do the same, as well as to support a curriculum for students that teaches them to project those same stereotypes and assumptions onto themselves and others. I believe such a curriculum is dehumanizing, prevents authentic connection, and undermines the moral agency of young people who are just beginning to find their way in the world."
She said other staffers she spoke to were "deeply troubled" by the developments, but were "too terrified to speak out about it."
In January 2020, Shaw said, she attended a mandatory staff retreat "focused on racial issues."
She said she wasn't comfortable answering personal questions from the hired facilitator about race and "racial identity."
"Later, the facilitators told everyone present that a white person's discomfort at discussing their race is a symptom of 'white fragility.' They said that the white person may seem like they are in distress but that it is actually a 'power play,'" she wrote.
"In other words, because I am white, my genuine discomfort was framed as an act of aggression. I was shamed and humiliated in front of all of my colleagues."
She filed a workplace complaint but felt it wasn't taken seriously enough because of her race.
"I was told that the civil rights law protections were not created to help people like me," she wrote.
She was stripped of duties, which she suspected was in retaliation for filing the complaint.
She blamed the change in environment on critical race theory, a quasi-Marxist ideology that reinterprets history as a struggle between whites and other races, labeling people as "oppressors" and "oppressed" on account of their skin color, echoing Marxism's division of society based on class.
"Under the guise of racial progress, Smith College has created a racially hostile environment in which individual acts of discrimination and hostility flourish. In this environment, people's worth as human beings, and the degree to which they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, is determined by the color of their skin," Shaw said.
"It is an environment in which dissenting from the new critical race orthodoxyor even failing to swear fealty to it like some kind of McCarthy-era loyalty oathis grounds for public humiliation and professional retaliation."
Critical race theory has been spreading through U.S. institutions, starting at universities and seeping into K12 education, government structures, the nongovernmental sector, and the corporate world, commonly through supposedly "anti-racist" training sessions and internal social justice policies.
Former President Donald Trump dealt a significant blow to the ideology's spread last year when he banned trainings based on the ideology from federal government offices, federal contractors, and some grantees. President Joe Biden, however, reversed the order shortly after taking office.
Biden went as far as issuing an order that seems to open the door for instituting the ideology more widely across the federal government.
In Shaw's view, the ideology exacerbates divisions among people.
"It taps into humanity's worst instincts to break down into warring factions, and I fear this is rapidly leading us to a very twisted place," she said.
Follow Petr on Twitter: @petrsvab
nein51
Was only a matter of time
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
As a white man I feel doomed.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
J.R.
"I'm a white man living in a white man's world"......Jason Isbell
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Whitey must die!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
fadskier
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Whitey must die!
or move...Ecuador and Panama looking better by the day
bubbadog
There's actually a long, front-page article about Smith in the NYT today that I found more chilling than the OP above. I'd post a link but there's a firewall.

Apparently, the stuff that led to the lawsuit described above stemmed from one incident a couple of years ago. A Black student went into a dorm cafeteria that had been closed for the summer -- more technically, it had been set aside for a summer program for children. For security reasons, only adults who had gone through security clearances were supposed to be in the camper dorm. The Black university student may not have known this, but was politely reminded by an older white cafeteria worker. The student did not leave, and the worker dropped the matter because campus employees had learned that if you got into a dispute with rich (mostly white) kids, you would always pay a price.

So the student went over to a closed-off lounge area and sat down to eat. An elderly white janitor saw her, did not confront her directly, and followed the procedure they'd been instructed to follow, calling an unarmed elderly white campus security officer. He mentioned nothing in the call about her race and thought she was a man (his eyesight was poor). The officer and janitor approached the student; the conversation was polite.

But then the student started posting on social media that she had been harassed for "living while Black," and that the janitor had "gender harassed" her for mistaking her from a distance as a male. And then all hell broke loose.

Instead of waiting for an investigation (they did do one), the president of the school issued an immediate apology to the student and put the janitor and security officer on paid leave. Students rallied around the accuser, reacting to social media posts the way outraged online mobs (like on this site) typically do, believing the accusations must be true.

The president, who is white, herself had been a victim of this kind of tarring. Once, she had been forced to apologize for being a panelist in a discussion of whether to ban Huckleberry Finn because Twain realistically used the N-word. Specifically, the president was made to apologize for failing to express outrage at a fellow panelist who used the N-word in quoting Twain. She had to issue an apology for another, equally ridiculous "failing." So it sounds like she had been "re-educated" not to let facts and context get in the way of professions of outrage.

The investigation ultimately cleared all of the employees involved, but not before their reputations were ruined. The Black student (originally from Mali) who started it all posted the name and picture of the cafeteria worker who originally spoke to her, falsely claiming she'd been the one who called police. She labeled the woman a racist, along with another janitor who worked in that dorm but wasn't even present when the incident occurred. The cafeteria worker got furloughed during the pandemic and can't find a job now because she's been labeled a racist. The janitor who wasn't even there said, "I don't know about white privilege, but I can tell you there's money privilege."

After this incident, Smith started all the "implicit bias training" that employees (but not faculty) are required to undergo. White faculty were encouraged but not required to attend groups where they acknowledged and confronted their presumed racial biases. Some attended at first, but not so many now.

The school's Religion Dept. announced a course on Native American Religion and Spirituality that was fully enrolled. The professor was white, but he modeled the course on one taught by his mentor, who was a member of the Choctaw Nation. Native American groups protested about a white man teaching the course, and the school eventually dropped plans to teach it. The professor was ordered to attend a "radical listening" session.

Campus employees, mostly poor and White, justifiably feel betrayed by the school. All of the employees involved had worked at Smith between 20 and 35 years.

From this article, which is horrifying, it sounds like the school -- rather than actively trying to indoctrinate students in critical race theory, is trying to immunize itself from attack by the Woke Online Mob. If they don't meet the mob's demands -- they actually gave in to a demand to create a segregated dorm for Black students -- then they get accused of being racist and get attacked, too. So they throw faculty and staff under the bus and give in to demands that escalate in severity. It is just insane. Something eventually will break the fever, but for now it is raging like a plague.

Shippou
White fragility.
Robert Wilson
Fighting racism with racism. Whatever gets your rocks off, I guess, but you won't catch me participating in any of that silliness. I do feel for lower level salaried employees stuck in woke organizations that have to go through all that foolishness just to be told what bad people they are because they're white.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.