When Grant Teaff outdueled Rush Limbaugh

2,270 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
JXL
I remember hearing Coach Teaff speak my freshman year. Great speaker.
Malbec
And the comment from 7:22am... Where have you gone Harley J Spoon? Our forum turns its lonely eyes to you.
Money465
Grant Teaff is indeed a great speaker and a great man! However, this article was once again an inappropriate swipe by Waco's newspaper aimed at conservative values.
bubbadog
Thanks for posting. That's a really nice story.

And what Teaff said was true. For those of us who are a certain age, WBAP did play a part in our lives. I have fond memories of being able to listen to Texas Rangers games from 600 miles away. I remember Kern Tips and others on the old Humble Radio Network. Growing up in Waco, my dad used to listen to Fort Worth Cats baseball games on WBAP. So it was a great treat for both of us when the Cats re-formed as an independent minor-league team and restored their old stadium on its original site, and I was able to take him to a game. Didn't hurt that the team was then managed by Waco native Stan Hough (Pat Zachry's battery-mate at Richfield HS).
cowach
Money465 said:

Grant Teaff is indeed a great speaker and a great man! However, this article was once again an inappropriate swipe by Waco's newspaper aimed at conservative values.

My guess is he was idolizing Grant but it comes across as spitting on a dead man.
bubbadog
Money465 said:

Not sure why you say that if you read the article and not just the headline. Rush comes across as very gracious and a decent guy.
D. C. Bear
cowach said:

Money465 said:

My guess is he was idolizing Grant but it comes across as spitting on a dead man.

I didn't get that sense at all.
Money465
I never comment on any article unless I have read it in its entirety. I stand by my previous comment and my opinion.
Canada2017
As much as I respect Coach Teaff......IMO the story illustrates how gracious Rush could be....on occasion .
Johnny Bear
bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

Not sure why you say that if you read the article and not just the headline. Rush comes across as very gracious and a decent guy.

Exactly as he always did. And that headline is obviously just an attention grabber as it has nothing to do with the story if you read the thing in it's entirely.
Wrecks Quan Dough
If you make your money in public speaking or public relations, then both Rush and Coach Teaff are essential for study.
J.B.Katz
My recollection is that when Limbaugh was hired to do sports commentary by ESPN the other sports commentators wouldn't sit in the same room with him and that he got fired for some racist comment.

They'd cut to him off by himself for his comments. Limbaugh knew enough about sports but he sure didn't last long.
D. C. Bear
J.B.Katz said:

My recollection is that when Limbaugh was hired to do sports commentary by ESPN the other sports commentators wouldn't sit in the same room with him and that he got fired for some racist comment.

They'd cut to him off by himself for his comments. Limbaugh knew enough about sports but he sure didn't last long.

If I recall, he said something like the media was anxious for a black quarterback to be successful. I think it was Donavan McNabb with the Eagles. Funny thing is that Limbaugh wasn't exactly wrong in his analysis.
Johnny Bear
D. C. Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

If I recall, he said something like the media was anxious for a black quarterback to be successful. I think it was Donavan McNabb with the Eagles. Funny thing is that Limbaugh wasn't exactly wrong in his analysis.

No, he wasn't wrong and the comment was in no shape, form, or fashion a "racist" comment. To characterize it as such is just another example of false leftist spin in a typical attempt to stereotype Limbaugh.
Forest Bueller_bf
bubbadog said:

Thanks for posting. That's a really nice story.

And what Teaff said was true. For those of us who are a certain age, WBAP did play a part in our lives. I have fond memories of being able to listen to Texas Rangers games from 600 miles away. I remember Kern Tips and others on the old Humble Radio Network. Growing up in Waco, my dad used to listen to Fort Worth Cats baseball games on WBAP. So it was a great treat for both of us when the Cats re-formed as an independent minor-league team and restored their old stadium on its original site, and I was able to take him to a game. Didn't hurt that the team was then managed by Waco native Stan Hough (Pat Zachry's battery-mate at Richfield HS).
I listened to sports on WBAP growing up and weather. I remember well in 1978 when Dallas was getting 7" of snow or so, and down in Chilton we got rain that might have had snow flurries mix in for a few minutes, I was hoping to be in Dallas.

The voices sound the same. It was a clear as a bell in the 70's even from 100 or more miles away.
cowach
D. C. Bear said:

cowach said:

Money465 said:

A story and headline about how someone else "blew him away" just seems inappropriate.
bubbadog
D. C. Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

The not-so-funny thing was that McNabb WAS successful, in spite of guys like Limbaugh who suggested he was overrated (and Limbaugh was not alone in that, so I'm not singling him out). McNabb took the Iggles to 4 straight NFC Championship games.

Sure, the Commissioner's office wanted a top black QB to be successful. So what? Limbaugh's statements not-so-subtly implied that McNabb was some kind of under-qualified Affirmative Action hire. McNabb more than proved that was wrong.
bubbadog
cowach said:

D. C. Bear said:

cowach said:

Money465 said:

A story and headline about how someone else "blew him away" just seems inappropriate.
I agree that the headline was misleading.
Malbec
cowach said:

D. C. Bear said:

cowach said:

Money465 said:

The "blew him away" was NOT the headline to the story. It was simply a quote from a man attending the banquet who was unprepared for what Teaff delivered. It was a compliment to Teaff by a someone sitting at the table next to Fletcher, not a slight or dig at Limbaugh.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Canada2017 said:

As much as I respect Coach Teaff......IMO the story illustrates how gracious Rush could be....on occasion .
I agree and thank the op for posting it.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
bear2be2
D. C. Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

That's not what he said. This is what he said:

"Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb, 26 at the time, was already a three-time Pro Bowler at that point and was in the midst of a really good run in Philly with Andy Reid.

Limbaugh was absolutely wrong in his analysis, and it's highly, highly unlikely he would have had those same criticisms for a white quarterback with McNabb's credentials.

This was classic Rush Limbaugh shock jockery. He just found out the hard way that not all platforms afforded him the latitude to be a divisive ******* that his radio show did.
D. C. Bear
bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

"Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb, 26 at the time, was already a three-time Pro Bowler at that point and was in the midst of a really good run in Philly with Andy Reid.

Limbaugh was absolutely wrong in his analysis, and it's highly, highly unlikely he would have had those same criticisms for a white quarterback with McNabb's credentials.

This was classic Rush Limbaugh shock jockery. He just found out the hard way that not all platforms afforded him the latitude to be a divisive ******* that his radio show did.

You are free to believe that, but a decent argument can be made that he wasn't exactly wrong in his analysis.

https://slate.com/culture/2003/10/rush-was-right-about-donovan-mcnabb.html
J.B.Katz
Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

Exactly as he always did. And that headline is obviously just an attention grabber as it has nothing to do with the story if you read the thing in it's entirely.
I find your heated defense of Limbaugh at every opportunity interesting.

Wife's a lawyer. She will never forget Limbaugh's saying women shouldn't serve on a jury if the accused was "a stud." Or him calling a married law student a **** for wanting her medical insurance plan to cover the pill.

Wife also volunteers with a nonprofit that helps women and children in domestic violence situations run by one of her friends. The crowd there thinks the stuff Limbaugh said about women emboldened abusers.
Malbec
J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

Wife's a lawyer. She will never forget Limbaugh's saying women shouldn't serve on a jury if the accused was "a stud." Or him calling a married law student a **** for wanting her medical insurance plan to cover the pill.

Wife also volunteers with a nonprofit that helps women and children in domestic violence situations run by one of her friends. The crowd there thinks the stuff Limbaugh said about women emboldened abusers.
Then "the crowd" isn't really helping their clients by giving abusers excuses. Good grief.
J.B.Katz
Malbec said:

J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

Then "the crowd" isn't really helping their clients by giving abusers excuses. Good grief.
Not intended as an excuse.

When a disproportionate number of white clients mention their husband or boyfriend listens to Limbaugh and call them names like feminazi for acting independently it registers and staff noted fewer black clients mentioned Limbaugh.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

What would be the proper term for someone who wants another person to pay for their decision to have sex?
J.B.Katz
Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

What would be the proper term for someone who wants another person to pay for their decision to have sex?
A female litigant seeking child support.

And she'll probably get it too.
bear2be2
D. C. Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

J.B.Katz said:

You are free to believe that, but a decent argument can be made that he wasn't exactly wrong in his analysis.

https://slate.com/culture/2003/10/rush-was-right-about-donovan-mcnabb.html

A very poor argument can be made that he wasn't wrong.

McNabb, a young quarterback at the time, was in the midst of five consecutive Pro Bowl seasons, during which he led his team to a 54-19 record in the regular season and seven playoff victories. His passer rating over that stretch was 86.1 -- 1.4 points lower than Tom Brady's over the same period.

Donovan McNabb was praised during that time because he was a damn good quarterback whose team won a lot of games. No quarterback with his numbers who led his team to four conference championship games and a Super Bowl appearance should have to justify his status as a front line player.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

Is the other person paying for sex or paying to support the child he helped make? Can you distinguish the two?
J.B.Katz
Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

Is the other person paying for sex or paying to support the child he helped make? Can you distinguish the two?
Why was or is it Limbaugh's business what the woman does?

A young woman testified before a congressional committee. Her student health plan didn't cover some methods of contraception becuase it was provided by a Catholic school that apparently wanted to pretend students there didnt have sex.

The plan for employees of the school did cover contraception so the school had no plausible conscience objection arguments. Some students covered under the plan were married grad students. Some had medical conditions treated with birth control pills. So many medical conditions are treated with birth control pills that this was a workaround in Ireland when the govt health plan wouldn't cover contraception because it was a Catholic state. A doc would diagnose a health condition and prescribe birth control pills, problem solved.

Limbaugh used the woman's name, he called her a **** and a ***** and he ranted about filming her having sex. He was an ******* about that and lots of other things, like "Mooshelle." Maybe you think thats funny. May you're like Lil Johnny and think Limbaugh was a good person. He was an ******* who did a few good things but did a lot more harm becuase he made a lot of money doing it.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

A young woman testified before a congressional committee.
Because she made it a public issue when she decided to testify before Congress and request that other people pay for her and her fellow students' personal decisions.
J.B.Katz
Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

Because she made it a public issue when she decided to testify before Congress and request that other people pay for her and her fellow students' personal decisions.
That's not what she asked.

But you know that.

How many married couples do you know who don't have sex?

How many who plan how many kids they're going to have?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Limbaugh%E2%80%93Sandra_Fluke_controversy

here's one area where Limbaugh was really wrong. It didnt cost extra for the plan to include contraception. Most medical plans do. So nobody was paying for anybody to have sex by requiring Georgetown to include the pill in their plan. But that dishonest talking point sure worked with you.
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

But you know that.

here's one area where Limbaugh was really wrong. It didnt cost extra for the plan to include contraception. Most medical plans do. So nobody was paying for anybody to have sex by requiring Georgetown to include the pill in their plan. But that dishonest talking point sure worked with you.
Why should I or anyone else pay for anyone else's decision to have sex--married or not? Stop defending grifting and law students' decisions to have sex whether inside or outside of marriage.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Carlos Cruz said:

J.B.Katz said:

Johnny Bear said:

bubbadog said:

Money465 said:

But you know that.

Why should I or anyone else pay for anyone else's decision to have sex--married or not? Stop defending grifting and law students' decisions to have sex whether inside or outside of marriage.

In a blog post, Landsburg argued that while the talk radio host's language may have been off-color, Limbaugh's logic was analytically shrewd. Fluke, Landsburg writes, "deserves only to be ridiculed, mocked, and jeered" for saying that women should have access to contraception."
He adds that Limbaugh's demand that Fluke and other Georgetown students post online sex tapes in exchange for contraception was actually a "spot-on analogy":
"If I can reasonably be required to pay for someone else's sex life (absent any argument about externalities or other market failures), then I can reasonably demand to share in the benefits. His dense and humorless critics notwithstanding, I am 99% sure that Rush doesn't actually advocate mandatory on-line sex videos. What he advocates is logical consistency and an appreciation for ethical symmetry. So do I. Color me jealous for not having thought of this analogy myself."

https://www.businessinsider.com/economist-steven-landsburg-defends-rush-limbaugh-calls-sandra-fluke-a-prostitute-2012-3

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.