Why Do So Many Resist, Disrespect, Flee & Fight The Police?

29,966 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BrooksBearLives
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ghostrider said:

"You're doing it wrong."
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
whiterock
Porteroso said:

Because there exists the societal narrative that the police cannot be trusted. We are bombarded with stories about police abusing their power, brutalizing innocent civilians, murdering them, treating their fellow Americans as if the police are the ruling class, and civilians supposed to bow down and worship them anytime they show up, for any reason. Sometimes including sleeping in your own bed gets you killed.

There is a measure of rationality that is lost in all of this, as we continue to be flooded with cherry picked news. You can basically tell what news sources posters on this board read or watch, just based upon their comments. How crazy is that? You can actually listen to someone talk about "news," and know their political leanings. That might sound sane, but only because we've accepted the political spin of "news." It's not news though, it's politics.

It's no wonder that the same thing that we've let take over politics, has also taken over our 1 real check on it, the free press.... Money.

Most cops are good cops, that's the rationality we all need to have. And you don't need to back everyone in blue, because cops are just people. There are going to be some really bad ones, no matter how much training they get. That's the rationality we all need to have. Instead, we pick a side, a tribe. We devolve into tribalism, much the same way that we always have.
exactly. except for the tribalism bit there at the end, which is a tangent.

Our media establishment only gives voice to narratives which remain within the context of systemic oppression. Kendi is a cultural icon, while almost nobody hears far more reasonable voices like McWorter and Loury. The brash triteness of James are heralded, but the stinging critiques of Whitlock are ignored.

Revolutionaries must first break the bond of affection between people and government.
muddybrazos
We have a situation happening today here in Charleston, SC. A schizo inmate was in his cell and refusing to comply. The cops eventually tazed him a few times and pepper sprayed him. He was fighting back the whole time and somehow died. The video just came out today so hopefully the cops do not allow another riot to breakout on King st in the heart of the city. The mayor told the cops to stand down last year as blm looters trashed the entire upper King street. Many businesses there haven't recovered so hopefully the cops show up in numbers to protect the area.
RightRevBear
Rawhide said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Bad cops make it more dangerous for every other cop. They make it more dangerous for the communities they are supposed to police which makes it more dangerous for the next community and on down the line.

But y'all will defend any piece of **** with a badge.

They're human. They can be incompetent. They can be racist. They can be really bad at their jobs. And yes, they can be murderers.

But no one, not even when they make mistakes that kill people guilty of no more than traffic violations, is worthy of consequences if they have a badge, right?

Come on. Wake up.
So being a POS only applies to cops?... what about the POSers they pull over on a daily basis, you know... for being a POS and breaking the law?

Love how you want to condemn the cops, but not the criminals

It's not binary... it isn't always the cops and never the criminals. Wake up

Do police have a hard job? yes
Do police have to put up with a bunch of crap from criminals? yes
It is also reasonable for us to expect them to be better than criminals? yes
Are they? Unfortunately, many are not, and we often turn a blind eye to this for our own sense of safety.

Many people fear not trusting the police, because of how it impacts their worldview and their own sense of safety. They are sticking their heads in the sand though. We like to say that there are a few bad apples, instead of looking and seeing that there are many bad apples in the police trees in our communities.

The profession with the highest rates of domestic violence is police. Rates of domestic violence are at least 2-4 times higher amongst police than the general population. Two self-reported survey studies of police families show that the rate of domestic violence amongst police is around 40%. 40% is more than a few bad apples. What is even worst is that approximately half of the police that are convicted of domestic violence are able to keep their jobs. I think we all can agree that people who beat their spouses and/or children should not be police officers. 40% of our police are bad apples just on the issue of domestic violence.

By blindly supporting the blue, you are supporting abusers. If they abuse those whom they supposedly "love", what keeps them from abusing you or me.

Here is an article for those who want a link, and yes, I checked many of the primary sources cited. https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/09/police-officers-who-hit-their-wives-or-girlfriends/380329/
Sam Lowry
RightRevBear said:

Rawhide said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Bad cops make it more dangerous for every other cop. They make it more dangerous for the communities they are supposed to police which makes it more dangerous for the next community and on down the line.

They're human. They can be incompetent. They can be racist. They can be really bad at their jobs. And yes, they can be murderers.

But no one, not even when they make mistakes that kill people guilty of no more than traffic violations, is worthy of consequences if they have a badge, right?

Come on. Wake up.
So being a POS only applies to cops?... what about the POSers they pull over on a daily basis, you know... for being a POS and breaking the law?

What is even worst is that approximately half of the police that are convicted of domestic violence are able to keep their jobs.
30 percent of those accused, according to your link, which also says that 40 percent of cases involve simple assault. Simple assault can be something as minor as pushing someone during an argument. It doesn't surprise me that police would tend to get more physical at home since they often have to do so on the job. Certainly doesn't justify it, but they probably shouldn't lose their job in every case.
RightRevBear
Sam Lowry said:

RightRevBear said:

Rawhide said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Come on. Wake up.

What is even worst is that approximately half of the police that are convicted of domestic violence are able to keep their jobs.
30 percent of those accused, according to your link, which also says that 40 percent of cases involve simple assault. Simple assault can be something as minor as pushing someone during an argument. It doesn't surprise me that police would tend to get more physical at home since they often have to do so on the job. Certainly doesn't justify it, but they probably shouldn't lose their job in every case.
Direct Quote from the article:

"Think about that. Domestic Abuse is underreported. Police officers are given the benefit of the doubt by colleagues in borderline cases. Yet even among police officers who were charged, arrested, and convicted of abuse more than half kept their jobs."

If I get charged with simple assault. I will be placed on leave with no pay at best from my job. I will also have to report it to my certifying body that will probably suspend my certification until the case is complete. If I am found guilty, I will be fired and have my certification revoked.

I don't necessarily agree with the suspension and leave, but these are police officers that have committed domestic violence. If they lose their cool and assault the ones they supposed love, then what will they do to those of us they have no connection.
Mulder
Law abiding people who respect authority have zero issues with LEO.

ZERO.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
Porteroso
Mulder said:

ZERO.

That's not true. You can't tell a woman she only got raped by a cop on a traffic stop because she didn't have enough respect for authority.
Canon
Porteroso said:

Mulder said:

ZERO.

That's not true. You can't tell a woman she only got raped by a cop on a traffic stop because she didn't have enough respect for authority.

Stop with the stupid straw man arguments. You aren't making yourself look intelligent.
RightRevBear
Mulder said:

ZERO.
Somebody has his rose tinted glasses on today. Tell that to Michael Dean who got shot point blank in his car in Temple. Did he have a gun? no Did he have priors? no Did the Texas Rangers encourage prosecution of the officer? yes
whiterock
RightRevBear said:

Mulder said:

ZERO.
Somebody has his rose tinted glasses on today. Tell that to Michael Dean who got shot point blank in his car in Temple. Did he have a gun? no Did he have priors? no Did the Texas Rangers encourage prosecution of the officer? yes
Somebody has the straw man on today. Incidents like that are so anomalous we should be asking ourselves why they don't happen more often.
RightRevBear
This happened recently in Temple, Texas to Michael Dean. I guess it is a straw man if it doesn't happen in your community to a rich white guy that you know.

I guess it is a straw man if you don't know the spouses and kids abused. I know a wife that was abused by her police officer husband. The police refused to do anything about it. She divorced him, and he is still a cop. I guess it is a straw man if you are used to turning a blind eye to the injustices that occur in our country.

Wake up. I know that there are plenty of good police officers out there, but there are far more than just a few bad apples. The blue would have a lot more backers if they policed themselves better.
quash
"ZERO."
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
RightRevBear
I CAN USE ALL CAPS TOO. JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY "ZERO" IN ALL CAPS DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE.

What about the women raped by Daniel Holtzclaw? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/11/daniel-holtzclaw-former-oklahoma-city-police-officer-guilty-rape I guess it was ok that he raped a 17 year-old girl on her front porch because she had an outstanding warrant for trespassing.

Or what about the rampant issue of sexual assault by police officers in Phoenix?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/10/phoenix-police-officers-rape-sexual-assault

How many cases do you need to hear before it stops being a "straw man argument." Does your wife, sister, mother, or daughter need to be sexually assaulted by police before you care? This is just one area of police abusing their power.
Canon
RightRevBear said:

I CAN USE ALL CAPS TOO. JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY "ZERO" IN ALL CAPS DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE.

What about the women raped by Daniel Holtzclaw? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/11/daniel-holtzclaw-former-oklahoma-city-police-officer-guilty-rape I guess it was ok that he raped a 17 year-old girl on her front porch because she had an outstanding warrant for trespassing.

Or what about the rampant issue of sexual assault by police officers in Phoenix?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/10/phoenix-police-officers-rape-sexual-assault

How many cases do you need to hear before it stops being a "straw man argument." Does your wife, sister, mother, or daughter need to be sexually assaulted by police before you care? This is just one area of police abusing their power.

Attempting to equate shootings of violently resisting criminals to one off instances of criminal rape is simply stupid. It's an absurd apples to hand grenades comparison and only serves to demonstrate the gross intellectual dishonesty of the person making it.

No one gets justifiably raped into compliance or is subdued lawfully by raping. Many people are justifiably and lawfully subdued by use of firearms. So, yes, your stupid comparison is most certainly a straw man.
RightRevBear
Canon said:

RightRevBear said:

Attempting to equate shootings of violently resisting criminals to one off instances of criminal rape is simply stupid. It's an absurd apples to hand grenades comparison and only serves to demonstrate the gross intellectual dishonesty of the person making it.

No one gets justifiably raped into compliance or is subdued lawfully by raping. Many people are justifiably and lawfully subdued by use of firearms. So, yes, your stupid comparison is most certainly a straw man.
Way to try to change the topic to fit your argument, and you call me intellectually dishonest. The thread is entitled "Why Do So Many Resist, Disrespect, Flee & Fight The Police?" The OP posted a Chris Rock video on how not to get your ass kicked by the police. This topic is more broad than just the issue of police shootings.

I don't respect police, because they don't police themselves. I am tired of hearing the few bad apples argument. 40% have abused a family member. The issue of police sexual assaults, and multitude of other issues that I haven't even gone into yet. I am tired of people blindly backing the blue and not holding police responsible for their crimes. Police will have my respect when they are worthy of that respect.
Sam Lowry
RightRevBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

RightRevBear said:

Rawhide said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Come on. Wake up.

Direct Quote from the article:

"Think about that. Domestic Abuse is underreported. Police officers are given the benefit of the doubt by colleagues in borderline cases. Yet even among police officers who were charged, arrested, and convicted of abuse more than half kept their jobs."

If I get charged with simple assault. I will be placed on leave with no pay at best from my job. I will also have to report it to my certifying body that will probably suspend my certification until the case is complete. If I am found guilty, I will be fired and have my certification revoked.

I don't necessarily agree with the suspension and leave, but these are police officers that have committed domestic violence. If they lose their cool and assault the ones they supposed love, then what will they do to those of us they have no connection.
Fair enough. The article seems to have contradictory information on the number.
Porteroso
Canon said:

Porteroso said:

Mulder said:

ZERO.

Stop with the stupid straw man arguments. You aren't making yourself look intelligent.

Your post makes an absolute statement that is easily disproven. Your sort of fundie arguments have never taken much intelligence to beat.

Edit: actually you didn't post what I responded to, you just came in for some white knight action. Go for it dude. White knight those cops!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Porteroso said:

Canon said:

Porteroso said:

Mulder said:

ZERO.

Your post makes an absolute statement that is easily disproven. Your sort of fundie arguments have never taken much intelligence to beat.

Edit: actually you didn't post what I responded to, you just came in for some white knight action. Go for it dude. White knight those cops!
We get it dude. You hate Jews and you hate cops. Really not much need for you to continue to try to convince us. I believe you.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Thee University
RightRevBear said:

The thread is entitled "Why Do So Many Resist, Disrespect, Flee & Fight The Police?" The OP posted a Chris Rock video on how not to get your ass kicked by the police. This topic is more broad than just the issue of police shootings.

I don't respect police, because they don't police themselves. I am tired of hearing the few bad apples argument. 40% have abused a family member. The issue of police sexual assaults, and multitude of other issues that I haven't even gone into yet. I am tired of people blindly backing the blue and not holding police responsible for their crimes. Police will have my respect when they are worthy of that respect.
Police are held responsible for their crimes much more often than society is held responsible for their crimes, assaults and the other issues you mention above.

Police are a reflection of our society but with 10 times the stress, pressure and expectations. They do a fantastic job doing what very few ever dream of undertaking. I'd rather deal with any cop or policeman than many civilians in America today.

Why don't we (society) help this problem by being better human beings, obeying laws & rules and steering clear of the cess pool influences prevalent in a large percentage of the United States today?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
RightRevBear
Thee University said:

RightRevBear said:

The thread is entitled "Why Do So Many Resist, Disrespect, Flee & Fight The Police?" The OP posted a Chris Rock video on how not to get your ass kicked by the police. This topic is more broad than just the issue of police shootings.

Police are held responsible for their crimes much more often than society is held responsible for their crimes, assaults and the other issues you mention above.

Police are a reflection of our society but with 10 times the stress, pressure and expectations. They do a fantastic job doing what very few ever dream of undertaking. I'd rather deal with any cop or policeman than many civilians in America today.

Why don't we (society) help this problem by being better human beings, obeying laws & rules and steering clear of the cess pool influences prevalent in a large percentage of the United States today?
I agree that we all need to be better human beings. I think that we should do a better job of following laws, and I would add that we need to speak up more about the issue of too many laws that police are then required to enforce.

I will also agree that being a police officer is a stressful occupation, but I think that you will agree that does not give them the right to abuse family members. The two studies that came up with the 40% number were self-reported, anonymous surveys. The police and their families themselves are saying they are abusive. People who beat their spouse and/or kids are some of the lowest of the low in my opinion. You are asking me to believe, trust, and respect the police when they are the most likely people to be domestic abusers. I am supposed to trust them when there is story after story of them being sexual predators. Stories of them tampering with evidence to cover their asses, and numerous stories of dirty cops. I am supposed to give them the benefit of the doubt and respect them. No they lost the benefit of the doubt and my unwavering respect a long time ago.

Now, I judge them by what I see and hear. I am thankful for bodycams. The cop that peppered sprayed the army officer was wrong. He escalated the situation instead of deescalating it. Derek Chauvin is a murderer. I am also willing to say the cop that shot the teenage girl with a knife was protecting the lady she was charging. It is unfortunate that he was forced to shoot her, but she was about to stab someone.
Canon
Porteroso said:

Canon said:

Porteroso said:

Mulder said:

ZERO.

I'll defend logic and reason.

quash
Thee University said:

RightRevBear said:

A fantastic job of doing what, exactly? Because it's not clearing crimes.
Canon
quash said:

Thee University said:

RightRevBear said:

A surveillance state could make them more effective at that. Is that what you are advocating?

If not, they serve generally quite well as security/response in active high threat situations. I think we could improve their efficiency against violent crimes by placing them in neighborhoods where that crime is most common despite calls of profiling. We could also do well to cut traffic enforcement in half and use high visibility cameras instead to cut down on interactions.
Thee University
RightRevBear said:

II will also agree that being a police officer is a stressful occupation, but I think that you will agree that does not give them the right to abuse family members. The two studies that came up with the 40% number were self-reported, anonymous surveys. The police and their families themselves are saying they are abusive. People who beat their spouse and/or kids are some of the lowest of the low in my opinion. You are asking me to believe, trust, and respect the police when they are the most likely people to be domestic abusers. I am supposed to trust them when there is story after story of them being sexual predators. Stories of them tampering with evidence to cover their asses, and numerous stories of dirty cops. I am supposed to give them the benefit of the doubt and respect them. No they lost the benefit of the doubt and my unwavering respect a long time ago.

Now, I judge them by what I see and hear. I am thankful for bodycams. The cop that peppered sprayed the army officer was wrong. He escalated the situation instead of deescalating it. Derek Chauvin is a murderer. I am also willing to say the cop that shot the teenage girl with a knife was protecting the lady she was charging. It is unfortunate that he was forced to shoot her, but she was about to stab someone.
No. It does not give them the right to abuse family. They should be terminated if found guilty of abuse and never allowed to serve in law enforcement ever again anywhere.

I think you will find that far more civilians beat their spouses & kids than cops. Far more.

You said above:

You are asking me to believe, trust, and respect the police when they are the most likely people to be domestic abusers. I am supposed to trust them when there is story after story of them being sexual predators. Stories of them tampering with evidence to cover their asses, and numerous stories of dirty cops. I am supposed to give them the benefit of the doubt and respect them. No they lost the benefit of the doubt and my unwavering respect a long time ago.

I might suggest you have been watching far too much TV to post the above paragraph.

The cop that pepper sprayed the army officer was wrong. He needed to call a psychiatrist or some mental health official because there was something very wrong with that army dude. Either that or he was looking for a potential big payday.

Derek Chauvin is a murderer. However, George Floyd (lower than the lows you mentioned above) did as much to kill himself by his actions and drug induced meltdown.

Bottom line?

Follow Chris Rock's helpful video. Don't do drugs. Follow the law. Do what the authorities ask or tell you to do. Be polite. Don't run from the law. Don't carry a dangerous weapon. Stay out of trouble. Don't hang out with seedy characters.

Get a job. Raise your family right. Go to church. Make an effort to improve your life. The good list goes on and on.

It is not rocket science and anyone with a Jethro Bodine education can figure this out.

Quit feeling sorry for these law breakers and quit blaming everybody else for their problems and missteps. You are only making it worse.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
quash
Canon said:

quash said:

Thee University said:

RightRevBear said:

A surveillance state could make them more effective at that. Is that what you are advocating?

If not, they serve generally quite well as security/response in active high threat situations. I think we could improve their efficiency against violent crimes by placing them in neighborhoods where that crime is most common despite calls of profiling. We could also do well to cut traffic enforcement in half and use high visibility cameras instead to cut down on interactions.
As a longtime opponent of our current citizen surveillance I would be opposed, obviously, to even more government intrusion.

Traffic enforcement is just one of the low hanging fruit we could pick to reduce needless interactions between poorly trained officers and easily triggered citizens.
Porteroso
I saw this today.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article229636834.html

The cop was acquitted. There are many more where this comes from. Cops are brutalizing everyone, of all colors of skin, but especially black men. It is happening every day, somewhere in America, and you have to be pretty ignorant to be making these "don't break the law, you won't have problems" statements.

It's ok for people to be distressed, and to seek change. Protesting is about the most American thing possible. I will always support people protesting just about anything. I will not always agree, but I will always support their right to do so. That's what actual conservatives do.

You can tell you conservative radicals are radical, because you don't want others you don't agree with to exercise their rights. And how anyone could disagree with protesting police brutality is just hilarious. The "I did nothing when they came for the Jews" thing is applicable to the GOP here. Not that the GOP is particularly bothered when cops brutalize white homeless men and women, another regular occurrence that should be protested.
whiterock
Porteroso said:

I saw this today.

The cop was acquitted. There are many more where this comes from. Cops are brutalizing everyone, of all colors of skin, but especially black men. It is happening every day, somewhere in America, and you have to be pretty ignorant to be making these "don't break the law, you won't have problems" statements.

It's ok for people to be distressed, and to seek change. Protesting is about the most American thing possible. I will always support people protesting just about anything. I will not always agree, but I will always support their right to do so. That's what actual conservatives do.

You can tell you conservative radicals are radical, because you don't want others you don't agree with to exercise their rights. And how anyone could disagree with protesting police brutality is just hilarious. The "I did nothing when they came for the Jews" thing is applicable to the GOP here. Not that the GOP is particularly bothered when cops brutalize white homeless men and women, another regular occurrence that should be protested.
you are blowing this out of proportion to fit your own narrative.

He did not kick the perp, who incidentally had led officers on a high-speed chase, putting the general public at risk.

It is unreasonable to expect a half-dozen officers amped up on adrenalin who are not all seeing the same things simultaneously to all shut it off the moment the camera shutter indicates the chase ended.

Looked to me like the officer on top of the suspect was still struggling with the suspect, either to get the cuffs on, or to restrain him on the ground. That would explain the actions of the officer emerging from the right.....he perceived that the suspect was in fact not yet subuded.

It's rather remarkable for a judge to shut down a proceeding like that. Normally, judges on either side of the ideological spectrum prefer to let juries hear cases.
quash
whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

I saw this today.

He did not kick the perp, who incidentally had led officers on a high-speed chase, putting the general public at risk.

It is unreasonable to expect a half-dozen officers amped up on adrenalin who are not all seeing the same things simultaneously to all shut it off the moment the camera shutter indicates the chase ended.

Looked to me like the officer on top of the suspect was still struggling with the suspect, either to get the cuffs on, or to restrain him on the ground. That would explain the actions of the officer emerging from the right.....he perceived that the suspect was in fact not yet subdued.

It's rather remarkable for a judge to shut down a proceeding like that. Normally, judges on either side of the ideological spectrum prefer to let juries hear cases.
That adrenaline buzz is exactly why many departments have a policy that says the guy that lead the pursuit cannot assist in securing the runner. They'll pull him out through a three inch opening in the window. As a runner you want to attract a crowd, not hit a curb and blow an axle while it's still just one on one.
Forest Bueller_bf
Porteroso said:

I saw this today.

There was no need at all to kick the guy in the head. At least the cop wasn't white, so there wasn't that angle.

And yes plenty of cops go around with their chest puffed out looking for confrontation. Most don't of course, but some do.
Forest Bueller_bf
whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

I saw this today.

Looked to me like the officer on top of the suspect was still struggling with the suspect, either to get the cuffs on, or to restrain him on the ground. That would explain the actions of the officer emerging from the right.....he perceived that the suspect was in fact not yet subuded.

Only cause he can't kick, he tried.
D. C. Bear
Forest Bueller_bf said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

I saw this today.

Sad testament to the state of American soccer.
Canon
D. C. Bear said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

I saw this today.

Sad testament to the state of American soccer.

Is this a call for more militant purple haired lesbians in law enforcement?
BrooksBearLives
Thee University said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

They told him 29 times to exit the vehicle. He refused. I suppose they could have tried to coax him out with a puppy. Or, alternatively, he could have complied with lawful orders after perhaps the 23rd time he was told?
He was concerned about getting shot. Given the behavior of these officers, his concern was justified.
BS!

He was looking for a big payday. Look at his dash camera. You are telling me that is the face and demeanor of someone concerned about getting shot???? BS!!

I'm not saying the officers were right but either this guy is severely mentally challenged, was on quaaludes or was indeed looking for an opportunity to make this police interaction into a huge payday for himself.

Go back to my first post.............Chris Rock understands.
Wait... so your take is that this military officer worked his entire career, took an oath to defend his country... all just waiting for the day for him to GOAD POLICE INTO TREATING HIM BADLY?

You will accuse a decorated military officer of fabricating an event just to get some police fired?

Do you think so little of ALL military? Or just this guy?
BrooksBearLives
whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

I saw this today.

Okay... so it's okay for a highly-trained police officer sworn to protect and serve to claim "adrenalin" but... but NOT okay for the scared public they serve?

A situation where perfect compliance is expected from the public, and absolute power is granted to the arm of the government is LITERALLY fascism.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.