Why Do So Many Resist, Disrespect, Flee & Fight The Police?

29,980 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BrooksBearLives
Thee University
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seriously. Chris Rock got it right in his video below:

Why do so many folks just have to be belligerent, bowed up, combative and dis respective?

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
We should use Minneapolis as a proving ground. All law enforcement in Minneapolis should be done away with. Let's see what happens. We should do the same in Congresswomen Rashida Talib's and Alexandria Ocasio Cortez's districts. Let them burn.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Porteroso
Because there exists the societal narrative that the police cannot be trusted. We are bombarded with stories about police abusing their power, brutalizing innocent civilians, murdering them, treating their fellow Americans as if the police are the ruling class, and civilians supposed to bow down and worship them anytime they show up, for any reason. Sometimes including sleeping in your own bed gets you killed.

There is a measure of rationality that is lost in all of this, as we continue to be flooded with cherry picked news. You can basically tell what news sources posters on this board read or watch, just based upon their comments. How crazy is that? You can actually listen to someone talk about "news," and know their political leanings. That might sound sane, but only because we've accepted the political spin of "news." It's not news though, it's politics.

It's no wonder that the same thing that we've let take over politics, has also taken over our 1 real check on it, the free press.... Money.

Most cops are good cops, that's the rationality we all need to have. And you don't need to back everyone in blue, because cops are just people. There are going to be some really bad ones, no matter how much training they get. That's the rationality we all need to have. Instead, we pick a side, a tribe. We devolve into tribalism, much the same way that we always have.
riflebear
Is it a requirement to be dumb and out of touch to join the Hollywood elites?

50%? Insane

robby44
Malbec
Quote:

Because there exists the societal narrative that the police cannot be trusted.
Bull***** People flee the police because they have done something for which they know they can go to jail and they don't want to go to jail. Even if they have done something that the police cannot possibly know they have done, the thought that they might be linked to it drives them over the edge. Fighting the police is just another attempt at fleeing. If they incapacitate the police, they can get away. If they can get away, they can hide forever or at least until the police forget about them. It's all simply an irrational fear of incarceration, or reincarceration as the case may be.

People of every color know that if they are respectful and cooperative, everything will get sorted out. Fact is, the way the system operates today, even if they are charged with a crime, they will be home in a matter of hours.
Porteroso
Malbec said:

Quote:

Bull***** People flee the police because they have done something for which they know they can go to jail and they don't want to go to jail. Even if they have done something that the police cannot possibly know they have done, the thought that they might be linked to it drives them over the edge. Fighting the police is just another attempt at fleeing. If they incapacitate the police, they can get away. If they can get away, they can hide forever or at least until the police forget about them. It's all simply an irrational fear of incarceration, or reincarceration as the case may be.

People of every color know that if they are respectful and cooperative, everything will get sorted out. Fact is, the way the system operates today, even if they are charged with a crime, they will be home in a matter of hours.
You're telling me that society trusts police?
Malbec
Porteroso said:

Malbec said:

Quote:

I'm telling you that's not why they FLEE or FIGHT the police. That's counterintuitive to the narrative. If you think the police might do something to you for no reason, what do you think they will do if you GIVE them a reason?
Porteroso
Malbec said:

Porteroso said:

Malbec said:

Quote:

I'm telling you that's not why they FLEE or FIGHT the police. That's counterintuitive to the narrative. If you think the police might do something to you for no reason, what do you think they will do if you GIVE them a reason?
I'm just not understanding. Your position is that people don't try to hide from the police, or resist arrest, for some other reason other than a distrust of the police?
Forest Bueller_bf
robby44 said:

Joe Gutierrez here is certainly a terrible officer, with a superiority complex. Absolutely abusive and should have been fired.

I can bet you he has done this stuff before.
Malbec
Porteroso said:

Malbec said:

Porteroso said:

Malbec said:

Quote:

I'm just not understanding. Your position is that people don't try to hide from the police, or resist arrest, for some other reason other than a distrust of the police?
No, I'm telling you that people DO try to flee or fight the police for reasons other than distrust.
Canon
robby44 said:

They told him 29 times to exit the vehicle. He refused. I suppose they could have tried to coax him out with a puppy. Or, alternatively, he could have complied with lawful orders after perhaps the 23rd time he was told?
Canon
Malbec said:

Porteroso said:

Malbec said:

Quote:

How many fingers on one hand would you need to count the people who complied with police orders and were shot, regardless. I can think of two off the top of my head. Philando Castile and Daniel Shaver.

What percentage of those shot by police are actively and often violently resisting arrest?

With extraordinarily rare exceptions (near complete list above), comply and you won't die. If you choose violence, it goes where you chose to take it.
Forest Bueller_bf
Malbec said:

Quote:

Unfortunately the young man in Minnesota did not cooperate and had outstanding warrants, he just wasn't going to be taken in. One of the warrants was an earlier fleeing officer charge.

Tazing him would have been ok as he fought off an officer and bolted back into his car, unfortunately that isn't what happened.
Forest Bueller_bf
Canon said:

Malbec said:

Porteroso said:

Malbec said:

Quote:

How many fingers on one hand would you need to count the people who complied with police orders and were shot, regardless. I can think of two off the top of my head. Philando Castile and Daniel Shaver.

What percentage of those shot by police are actively and often violently resisting arrest?

With extraordinarily rare exceptions (near complete list above), comply and you won't die. If you choose violence, it goes where you chose to take it.
Philandro Castile and Shaver were terrible incidents. Shaver was groveling on the ground like an animal for them and he was still executed. Those were both zero excuse incident and the officer in those cases should be in prison today.

But when you run at officers with a knife, when you grab and take their tazer and fire it at them, when you evade them and reach into your car for a weapon, when you beat the absolute **** out of an officer, it is not going to end well, ever.
BaylorBears_254
My question is, what warranted the right to shoot the guy?

I've had my share of arguments on this forum to realize that the majority of white people, cops included, see blacks more aggressively than whites, no matter what.

i agree, he shouldn't have fled, but they were in no danger.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Porteroso said:

Because there exists the societal narrative that the police cannot be trusted. We are bombarded with stories about police abusing their power, brutalizing innocent civilians, murdering them, treating their fellow Americans as if the police are the ruling class, and civilians supposed to bow down and worship them anytime they show up, for any reason. Sometimes including sleeping in your own bed gets you killed.

There is a measure of rationality that is lost in all of this, as we continue to be flooded with cherry picked news. You can basically tell what news sources posters on this board read or watch, just based upon their comments. How crazy is that? You can actually listen to someone talk about "news," and know their political leanings. That might sound sane, but only because we've accepted the political spin of "news." It's not news though, it's politics.

It's no wonder that the same thing that we've let take over politics, has also taken over our 1 real check on it, the free press.... Money.

Most cops are good cops, that's the rationality we all need to have. And you don't need to back everyone in blue, because cops are just people. There are going to be some really bad ones, no matter how much training they get. That's the rationality we all need to have. Instead, we pick a side, a tribe. We devolve into tribalism, much the same way that we always have.
If there is a narrative that the police can't be trusted due to their behavior, then what should the narrative be about black males when the number of them killed by other blacks vastly outnumber blacks being killed by police? Or their disproportionately high violent crime rate? And this isn't cherry-picked news were talking about here, these are plain facts.

It goes both ways, and that is the central problem behind the dynamic. Except only one side is being blamed as the problem. The other side is almost completely dismissed.
Forest Bueller_bf
BaylorBears_254 said:

I've had my share of arguments on this forum to realize that the majority of white people, cops included, see blacks more aggressively than whites, no matter what.

Zero right to shoot the guy, nothing warranted his shooting. Tazer on the other hand would have been ok.

I'm sure the 463 white guys killed by police last year would disagree with your assessment of police points of view. You just will never hear that point of view.

The viewpoint you hear from most white folks when a white guy resisting is killed, unless he is family, is generally "play stupid games, win stupid prize" that isn't my point of view, but it is very common because I've heard it often.

BaylorBears_254
Forest Bueller_bf said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Zero right to shoot the guy, nothing warranted his shooting. Tazer on the other hand would have been ok.

I'm sure the 463 white guys killed by police last year would disagree with your assessment of police points of view. You just will never hear that point of view.

The viewpoint you hear from most white folks when a white guy resisting is killed, unless he is family, is generally "play stupid games, win stupid prize" that isn't my point of view, but it is very common because I've heard it often.

I'd love to hear the stories of those men killed, but let's be honest here, there is definitely a problem here on why the cops see blacks as more of the aggressor. Blacks kill blacks, whites kill whites, hispanics kill hispanics, so i don't want that excuse on why they do.

I mean, a few white guys just shot up some supermarkets and etc, and were walked out unscathed, yet this kid was shot for trying to flee with no weapon.

It's a conversation that i feel like plenty of you would have to sit down and have a civil talk about with a black person to completely understand.

I've seen some whites sit down and hear a black person out and truly come away with a different outlook on things.

Y'all probably won't/wouldn't do it, but until you put yourselves in a black person's shoes on what they go through with cops, other races, and etc, I just don't think many will understand.

Y'all have a good day tho
4th and Inches
Canon said:

robby44 said:

They told him 29 times to exit the vehicle. He refused. I suppose they could have tried to coax him out with a puppy. Or, alternatively, he could have complied with lawful orders after perhaps the 23rd time he was told?
they also told him to put his hands out the window and get out while he was still seatbelted in... they absolutely suck at communication and conflict resolution. The driver did not comply with confusing instructions and was calm during most of the interaction, even after being pepper sprayed.
Forest Bueller_bf
BaylorBears_254 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

I'd love to hear the stories of those men killed, but let's be honest here, there is definitely a problem here on why the cops see blacks as more of the aggressor. Blacks kill blacks, whites kill whites, hispanics kill hispanics, so i don't want that excuse on why they do.

I mean, a few white guys just shot up some supermarkets and etc, and were walked out unscathed, yet this kid was shot for trying to flee with no weapon.

It's a conversation that i feel like plenty of you would have to sit down and have a civil talk about with a black person to completely understand.

I've seen some whites sit down and hear a black person out and truly come away with a different outlook on things.

Y'all probably won't/wouldn't do it, but until you put yourselves in a black person's shoes on what they go through with cops, other races, and etc, I just don't think many will understand.

Y'all, not sure where you are coming off with this y'all *****

Where I grew up whites were maybe 21% of the school population now down to 18%, my two business partners are both black, my entire upbringing was seeing a black point of view. I understand it. I live in it every day.

If you are going to play the self righteous *******, there is no conversation to be had, there are plenty of "white folks" who understand the point of view.

This is a tragedy, there is no excuse for there to have been a killing of this young man.
BaylorBears_254
Forest Bueller_bf said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Y'all, not sure where you are coming off with this y'all *****

Where I grew up whites were maybe 21% of the school population now down to 18%, my two business partners are both black, my entire upbringing was seeing a black point of view. I understand it. I live in it every day.

If you are going to play the self righteous *******, there is no conversation to be had, there are plenty of "white folks" who understand the point of view.

This is a tragedy, there is no excuse for there to have been a killing of this young man.

Woah there, they whole post just shouted "Im offended" lol.
I said what i said, if you "get it" then you "get it", help other races "get it".

If you wanna be offended then so be it, because at the end of the day just because your business partners are black doesn't mean ****, at the end of the day are they your "true friends" or just "business partners". Take it how you want Forest. The plenty of "white people" i've seen get it and know how to express it towards other whites. Wish there where more on this board .

We obviously agree with the senseless killing of the kid.
Canon
4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

they also told him to put his hands out the window and get out while he was still seatbelted in... they absolutely suck at communication and conflict resolution. The driver did not comply with confusing instructions and was calm during most of the interaction, even after being pepper sprayed.

They told him 8 times to put his hands out of the window or words to that effect. The driver didn't refuse to comply because he thought the instructions were confusing. He tried to take control of the situation and failed. When he realized he failed, he claimed to be scared or uncomfortable. Had he done as he was told and, if buckled, asked to remove his seatbelt, and then complied, no pepper spray.

This is not a difficult thing to do. Most people (including black people) are never in their entire lives placed under arrest or physically detained or pepper sprayed or tasered or shot by police. Most people (including black people) avoid these fates because most people (including black people) comply with lawful orders. Those who don't comply and resist, have a different outcome. The Hispanic cop was a jerk. So what? Comply and then file a complaint.

This driver was 100% in the wrong. The Hispanic cop was 100% a jerk. There is a 100% chance this would have ended with no pepper spray if the driver had simply complied with the jerk's lawful order.
ABC BEAR
After every incident there are calls for increased police training.....how about some increased training for those stopped by the cops. Elevating a routine stop by resisting arrest has consequence, all bad. This last guy, who was 20 was compiling a career criminal starter kit: expired tags, felony handgun warrant compounded by resisting arrest. Had he lived he would have been well on his way.
BaylorBears_254
Canon said:

4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

They told him 8 times to put his hands out of the window or words to that effect. The driver didn't refuse to comply because he thought the instructions were confusing. He tried to take control of the situation and failed. When he realized he failed, he claimed to be scared or uncomfortable. Had he done as he was told and, if buckled, asked to remove his seatbelt, and then complied, no pepper spray.

This is not a difficult thing to do. Most people (including black people) are never in their entire lives placed under arrest or physically detained or pepper sprayed or tasered or shot by police. Most people (including black people) avoid these fates because most people (including black people) comply with lawful orders. Those who don't comply and resist, have a different outcome. The Hispanic cop was a jerk. So what? Comply and then file a complaint.

This driver was 100% in the wrong. The Hispanic cop was 100% a jerk. There is a 100% chance this would have ended with no pepper spray if the driver had simply complied with the jerk's lawful order.

Easier said than done when you got two guns pointed at your face along with a bunch if screaming and yelling of confusing orders lol.

If he leans over for the belt buckle, they'll get even more anxious. The younger cop knew the **** was wrong lol, come on man.
BaylorBears_254
ABC BEAR said:

After every incident there are calls for increased police training.....how about some increased training for those stopped by the cops. Elevating a routine stop by resisting arrest has consequence, all bad. This last guy, who was 20 was compiling a career criminal starter kit: expired tags, felony handgun warrant compounded by resisting arrest. Had he lived he would have been well on his way.

Is that stating that people don't change? Some of the richest, most accomplished people in the world where going down that same road, so how can you predict his future for him?
Canon
BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

Easier said than done when you got two guns pointed at your face along with a bunch if screaming and yelling of confusing orders lol.

If he leans over for the belt buckle, they'll get even more anxious. The younger cop knew the **** was wrong lol, come on man.

It's difficult to comply with guns pointed at you? It's easier to argue with men holding guns pointed at you and giving you lawful orders? Rethink that.

The young cop pleaded with him to just comply. He still refused. He brought everything on himself. Never mind he drove on for quite some time before complying with instructions to pull over. The guy could literally find no instruction he found worthy of following.
BaylorBears_254
Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

It's difficult to comply with guns pointed at you? It's easier to argue with men holding guns pointed at you and giving you lawful orders? Rethink that.

The young cop pleaded with him to just comply. He still refused. He brought everything on himself. Never mind he drove on for quite some time before complying with instructions to pull over. The guy could literally find no instruction he found worthy of following.

Nobody said they weren't lawful orders lol. Rethink that.

We said they were confusing orders! Especially all while being yelled at with guns pointed at you.

The younger cop obviously looked taken back by the situation and felt bad, but since it was his partner he obviously has to have his back
Canon
BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

We said they were confusing orders! Especially all while being yelled at with guns pointed at you.

The younger cop obviously looked taken back by the situation and felt bad, but since it was his partner he obviously has to have his back

Shouting for him to get out of the car 29 times is confusing? How many times must the same order be shouted at you before you understand? 30? 31? Also, no one said you said they weren't lawful orders. Lawful orders described the orders given. Context is important and largely ignored in discussions on this sort of topic.

The young cop was probably exasperated with the jerk cop and with the non-compliant masochist behind the wheel. Cops have one thing to use in execution of their jobs...police power. If you refuse to comply with the verbal version of it, you will inevitably meet the physical version of it. Unless of course you are a BLM rioter or Antifa.
BaylorBears_254
Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

Shouting for him to get out of the car 29 times is confusing? How many times must the same order be shouted at you before you understand? 30? 31? Also, no one said you said they weren't lawful orders. Lawful orders described the orders given. Context is important and largely ignored in discussions on this sort of topic.

The young cop was probably exasperated with the jerk cop and with the non-compliant masochist behind the wheel. Cops have one thing to use in execution of their jobs...police power. If you refuse to comply with the verbal version of it, you will inevitably meet the physical version of it. Unless of course you are a BLM rioter or Antifa.

What are you shouting and pointing guns for if his hands are out the window AS THE ASKED FOR lol. Any sudden move that they feel is suspicious, they shoot and save their own asses by saying "We didnt know if he was reaching for something".

It made him suspicious because he wanted to pull into a "well lit area"? Which led immediately to guns and screaming? Can't concentrate under that, especially for missing "tags", that were hanging in the window

How are you not getting this when you just stated that the cop was a 100% jerk?

How's he a jerk if he was also right?

I understand you're a blue lives matter till the death of you lol, but my goodness.
Gold Tron
Just get out of the car. Do that and we aren't having this discussion.
BearlySpeaking
BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

What are you shouting and pointing guns for if his hands are out the window AS THE ASKED FOR lol. Any sudden move that they feel is suspicious, they shoot and save their own asses by saying "We didnt know if he was reaching for something".

It made him suspicious because he wanted to pull into a "well lit area"? Which led immediately to guns and screaming? Can't concentrate under that, especially for missing "tags", that were hanging in the window

I understand you're a blue lives matter till the death of you lol, but my goodness.
I had a cop stick a gun in my face and tell me he was going to blow my head off. For sitting in my friend's backyard hanging out and having a drink (friend had a 2nd cop doing the same to him).

I absolutely don't understand someone who would fight or take off running in my situation if you're afraid of the cop in front of you. Fighting in that situation basically means you are staking your life on the outcome, which means you better kill the cop if you feel you have to fight him or flee from him. You suddenly push the situation to the limit like these people did, then you just raised the stakes and bet on the whole enchilada.

If he thought they were going to kill him, he needed to pull a gun and kill them first.
Canon
BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

1. The first 8 shouts were to put his hands out. He eventually complied.
2. The remaining 29 shouts were to use those hands to open the car door (latch is right there on the outside of the door) to open that car door and exit.
3. If you are concerned about making sudden moves, don't make sudden moves. Ask permission and don't move until given permission.
4. His refusal to comply with lights and instructions to pull over and instead continue to drive on until he decided to pull over is one thing that turned it into a felony stop. This yielded the guns.
5. His tags in his blacked out windows were not visible while driving. This was the source of his initial contact.
6. A cop can be 100% a jerk and still be 100% correct. Many pull off this remarkable feat on a daily basis. You don't get to fail to comply with a lawful order just because the cop who gave it is a jerk.

These are not challenging concepts. Taken together, these place the driver squarely in the wrong. If you have further questions with obvious and easy answers you choose to ignore, please reference the above. Regards.
BaylorBears_254
Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

2. The remaining 29 shouts were to use those hands to open the car door (latch is right there on the outside of the door) to open that car door and exit.
3. If you are concerned about making sudden moves, don't make sudden moves. Ask permission and don't move until given permission.
4. His refusal to comply with lights and instructions to pull over and instead continue to drive on until he decided to pull over is one thing that turned it into a felony stop. This yielded the guns.
5. His tags in his blacked out windows were not visible while driving. This was the source of his initial contact.
6. A cop can be 100% a jerk and still be 100% correct. Many pull off this remarkable feat on a daily basis. You don't get to fail to comply with a lawful order just because the cop who gave it is a jerk.

These are not challenging concepts. Taken together, these place the driver squarely in the wrong. If you have further questions with obvious and easy answers you choose to ignore, please reference the above. Regards.

1. Why are the shouting and being so aggressive over a traffic stop.

2. Why are yoy shouting telling the guy to open his door for? He's confused at that point to what could he have possibly done to warrant the aggression...aaaagain.

3. Did he not tell them he was scared and remained with his hands out the window?

4. Turned into a felony because he drove to a well lit area? Ooook lol, let's upgrade the charges for no reason.

5. Sooo you're telling me the camera on their body cam that caught the tags hanging, weren't visible enough for them to see them? Sheeeesh

6. How do you comply with a jerk cop constantly yelling and pointing a gun at you, while giving confusing instructions lol.

+1 for the cop using pepper spray and not the gun tho
Jack Bauer
BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Canon said:

4th and Inches said:

Canon said:

robby44 said:

1. Why are the shouting and being so aggressive over a traffic stop.

2. Why are yoy shouting telling the guy to open his door for? He's confused at that point to what could he have possibly done to warrant the aggression...aaaagain.

3. Did he not tell them he was scared and remained with his hands out the window?

4. Turned into a felony because he drove to a well lit area? Ooook lol, let's upgrade the charges for no reason.

5. Sooo you're telling me the camera on their body cam that caught the tags hanging, weren't visible enough for them to see them? Sheeeesh

6. How do you comply with a jerk cop constantly yelling and pointing a gun at you, while giving confusing instructions lol.

+1 for the cop using pepper spray and not the gun tho
The next time a cop comes up behind you and turns his sirens, try driving nearly 2 miles before stopping and see what happens. This raises all kinds of suspicions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.