Best Picture Goes To....

6,950 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Canon
Canon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...a movie virtually no one has seen. Hollywood has so intersectionalized their awards and bought so deeply into the idea that if average people like something it must not be good, that they are destroying themselves. The movie industry appears to be in a steep decline as it becomes just another vehicle for various forms of woke virtue signaling.

Nomadland becomes lowest-grossing Best Picture in Academy Awards' 93-year history

Nomadland earned top honor Best Picture as the Academy Awards broke tradition by not announcing the award last
The movie only made $2.5 million at the box office and is the lowest-grossing Best Picture winner in Academy Award history
while the battle was on for the Best Picture gong, a year of cinema closures during the pandemic meant the other seven nominees also suffered the biggest box office flops of all time

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9510519/Oscars-2021-winners-Hollywoods-finest-honored-work-film-93rd-Academy-Awards.html
fadskier
Watched the trailer...looks boring
Jack Bauer
This is me the last 10 years following the Oscars and award shows in general.

quash
Canon said:

...a movie virtually no one has seen. Hollywood has so intersectionalized their awards and bought so deeply into the idea that if average people like something it must not be good, that they are destroying themselves. The movie industry appears to be in a steep decline as it becomes just another vehicle for various forms of woke virtue signaling.

Nomadland becomes lowest-grossing Best Picture in Academy Awards' 93-year history

Nomadland earned top honor Best Picture as the Academy Awards broke tradition by not announcing the award last
The movie only made $2.5 million at the box office and is the lowest-grossing Best Picture winner in Academy Award history
while the battle was on for the Best Picture gong, a year of cinema closures during the pandemic meant the other seven nominees also suffered the biggest box office flops of all time

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9510519/Oscars-2021-winners-Hollywoods-finest-honored-work-film-93rd-Academy-Awards.html

The lead is a middle aged straight white woman, not sure how Nomadland falls into the intersectionality ambit.

As to low grossing, well, there was a thing going on in 2020.

I watched it, loved it, and disagree with the main criticism of the movie. Did you also disagree?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Canon said:

The lead is a middle aged straight white woman, not sure how Nomadland falls into the intersectionality ambit.

I watched it, loved it, and disagree with the main criticism of the movie. Did you also disagree?

Gotta respect someone who represents maybe 15% of the total audience for that movie.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Booray
fadskier said:

Watched the movie. It packed 5 minutes of action into 2 hours.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Canon said:

Gotta respect someone who represents maybe 15% of the total audience for that movie.
Way off. There are a ton of older women on the road, you see them in the movie.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Jack Bauer
8.6m people watched the Oscars? That's half the audience of the Baylor-Gonzaga game.

Quote:

As we predicted at OutKick it would, the 93rd Academy Awards ceremony tanked to unimaginable lows. The 2021 Oscars fell more than 50% year-over-year in overnight ratings, OutKick has learned. Here's a look at the past three years:

2021: 8.6/18
2020: 18.1/33
2019: 21.6/36

contrario
I think almost any movie that could have been given the award would have done poorly at the box office. It's hard to do well at the box office when the box office is closed.

With that said, the award has never been about the movie that does the best at the box office. If that were the case, any Fast and the Furious movie or movie staring the Rock would have won the award. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy those movies for what they are, but I don't think they are best film worthy.
Cheshire Bear
I thought "Nomadland" was fantastic.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I dont go to movies unless there is a little nudity, car chase scenes or hoses so I missed this one.

How did it do compared to other movies this year?

It has won lots of awards and the critics loved it which usually outweighs popularity with the unwashed masses. I read the synopsis. It doesnt meet my criteria but if my air conditioner was broke or somebody i know wanted to see it I would go eat popcorn, take a nap and hope she enjoyed it. I would be interested in the "woke" aspect of this movie.

I saw a movie in Veracruz last year that was filmed in French with some Spanish subtitles. Portrait of a Lady on fire. Good popcorn and I slept most of the way but the awards of attending were worth it.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
quash
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I dont go to movies unless there is a little nudity, car chase scenes or hoses so I missed this one.

How did it do compared to other movies this year?

It has won lots of awards and the critics loved it which usually outweighs popularity with the unwashed masses. I read the synopsis. It doesnt meet my criteria but if my air conditioner was broke or somebody i know wanted to see it I would go eat popcorn, take a nap and hope she enjoyed it. I would be interested in the "woke" aspect of this movie.

I saw a movie in Veracruz last year that was filmed in French with some Spanish subtitles. Portrait of a Lady on fire. Good popcorn and I slept most of the way but the awards of attending were worth it.
I didn't notice any woke aspect to it. That bothered some of the critics.
cms186
Cheshire Bear said:

i might have asked you this before, but is the Cheshire in your name referring to somewhere in the USA (im not aware of any such place, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist ) or to the County in England? I assume the former, given the location of most of the posters here, i only ask because Cheshire, UK is the county of my birth
I'm the English Guy
quash
cms186 said:

Cheshire Bear said:

i might have asked you this before, but is the Cheshire in your name referring to somewhere in the USA (im not aware of any such place, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist ) or to the County in England? I assume the former, given the location of most of the posters here, i only ask because Cheshire, UK is the county of my birth
Well that's cool. I would bet on a Cheshire Cat reference.
Doc Holliday
cms186 said:

Cheshire Bear said:

The first time I heard the word 'Cheshire' was a song called "Cheshire Cat' by Blink-182

I bet his is probably because of the 'Cheshire Cat' in Alice in Wonderland.

nein51
fadskier said:

Hmm. Well. It is beautiful to look at. It is incredibly dull. It's not a particularly interesting subject matter and, to me, wasn't particularly well told.

I would say the cinematography is top notch. A good chunk of the characters aren't actors so it does feel "real" (in whatever way a movie can feel real).

When I saw it I thought critics are going to love this. It's EXACTLY what *film* critics like. It is about as interesting as watching paint dry, however.
Canon
contrario said:

I think almost any movie that could have been given the award would have done poorly at the box office. It's hard to do well at the box office when the box office is closed.

With that said, the award has never been about the movie that does the best at the box office. If that were the case, any Fast and the Furious movie or movie staring the Rock would have won the award. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy those movies for what they are, but I don't think they are best film worthy.

Tenet came out in the same month and grossed $363m. Hollywood despises average Americans.
Oldbear83
Canon said:

contrario said:

Tenet came out in the same month and grossed $363m. Hollywood despises average Americans.
Tenet got more hype than the last election, so it's not like it performed anywhere near 'well'.

Just a suck year for cinema box office.
Doc Holliday
Canon said:

contrario said:

I really liked Tenet. A complex sci fi movie with a spin on time travel...sign me up!
Canon
Doc Holliday said:

Canon said:

contrario said:

I really liked Tenet. A complex sci fi movie with a spin on time travel...sign me up!

It was very complex and thoughtful. Far more complex and thoughtful than a homeless vagrant defecating in a bucket.
Sam Lowry
Nomadland was really good. Nothing particularly woke or intersectional about it.
muddybrazos
cms186 said:

Cheshire Bear said:

I used to live in Connecticut for a couple of years and my street was half in Cheshire, CT half in Wallingford, CT so I do know of Cheshire, Ct.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Nomadland was really good. Nothing particularly woke or intersectional about it.
Good morning, Sam.

What made Nomadland so good? I used to watch everything that came out, but have found a lot of the new stuff unimpressive.

Thanks
BusyTarpDuster2017
Sam Lowry said:

Female lead, Asian female director.

In order to even be considered for Best Picture, a movie must meet the Academy's Diversity and Inclusion requirements.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Good morning, Sam.

What made Nomadland so good? I used to watch everything that came out, but have found a lot of the new stuff unimpressive.

Thanks
Good morning. There were a lot of visual elements that I liked. Aside from that, I thought it told a good story in an unusual way. There are no big events. Up to the last 20 minutes I still wasn't sure where it was going. By the end, I could see that the character had developed through the weight of experiences in the film. It's sort of a cumulative effect. There's an aspect of social commentary, but it's understated and lets you draw your own conclusions. It's the opposite of the extreme preachy movies that have been out the last few years.
Sam Lowry
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Female lead, Asian female director.

In order to even be considered for Best Picture, a movie must meet the Academy's Diversity and Inclusion requirements.
I dislike those requirements, and I know McDormand is a supporter. I'm just talking about the content of the movie.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Good morning, Sam.

Thanks
Good morning. There were a lot of visual elements that I liked. Aside from that, I thought it told a good story in an unusual way. There are no big events. Up to the last 20 minutes I still wasn't sure where it was going. By the end, I could see that the character had developed through the weight of experiences in the film. It's sort of a cumulative effect. There's an aspect of social commentary, but it's understated and lets you draw your own conclusions. It's the opposite of the extreme preachy movies that have been out the last few years.
Thanks Sam, I will give it a look.

Should be a nice change from the MCU and the Woke world.

nein51
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Good morning, Sam.

Thanks
I agree with this. To me; it was just sort of boring. The visuals are pretty incredible and I dont know if I would watch the entire movie for them but I could easily see watching 20-30 mins just for that alone.

I dont think it was a "Best Picture" type movie but to each their own.
Sam Lowry
nein51 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Good morning, Sam.

Thanks
I agree with this. To me; it was just sort of boring. The visuals are pretty incredible and I dont know if I would watch the entire movie for them but I could easily see watching 20-30 mins just for that alone.

Personally I would have chosen Mank. I haven't seen Tenet but will eventually. Dunkirk would have been my pick a few years ago, but Nolan is hit-and-miss for me. Tenet looks more like Inception, which bored me to tears.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Good morning, Sam.

Thanks

Personally I would have chosen Mank. I haven't seen Tenet but will eventually. Dunkirk would have been my pick a few years ago, but Nolan is hit-and-miss for me. Tenet looks more like Inception, which bored me to tears.
Worse for me. I saw Tenet and it came off like an attempt to have James Bond do Inception.

Watched it again to see if I was seeing what I thought, and came away the second time with the same verdict - glossy but a waste of time.

Would much rather have re-watched January Man. If I'm going to watch a formula movie, gimme one with Alan Rickman in it.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

nein51 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Good morning, Sam.

Thanks

Worse for me. I saw Tenet and it came off like an attempt to have James Bond do Inception.
Yyyyeah, that doesn't sound like fun. I'm not much of a Bond fan to begin with.
Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer said:

8.6m people watched the Oscars? That's half the audience of the Baylor-Gonzaga game.

Quote:

As we predicted at OutKick it would, the 93rd Academy Awards ceremony tanked to unimaginable lows. The 2021 Oscars fell more than 50% year-over-year in overnight ratings, OutKick has learned. Here's a look at the past three years:

2021: 8.6/18
2020: 18.1/33
2019: 21.6/36

I don't believe anywhere close to 8.6 million people watched that hollywood dreck.
C. Jordan
Canon said:

It's really good! You should see it. Frances McDormand is great in everything she does.

I don't think boffo BO is the standard.
STxBear81
i guess Amazon will buy all the abandoned movie theatres in America and make them distribution centers when "we the people "quit going to watch them
quash
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Good morning, Sam.

Thanks
The protagonist should face a conflict and resolve it. Fern did, and I thoroughly enjoyed the journey to get there.

Canon wouldn't respond but the critics almost uniformly criticized the movie for not taking shots at capitalism or Amazon as a stand in for capitalism. Sometimes a movie just has a compelling story to tell. You want socialist propaganda finish your own damn screenplay.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.