Wayne LaPierre and his wife Susan kill elephants badly

6,143 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by drahthaar
J.B.Katz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perhaps symbolic of what Trump and gun nuts have done to the Republican party?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/27/nra-wayne-lapierre-elephant-video/
Canon
Wow! What an urgent, relevant and impactful story. Please share everything you know about other non-profit groups engaging in things they advocate. I hear tell that the members of the HRC and GLAAD may actually engage in gay marriage. NARAL members have had abortions, or so I've heard. This scandalous behavior must be revealed. Please get the truth out.
LIB,MR BEARS
J.B.Katz said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/27/nra-wayne-lapierre-elephant-video/
it's a paywall so I am making assumptions of what it may have said .
Did they break a law?

Is the money being spent on the hunt being re-invested in habitat to help elephants and other animals as well as the people of the area?

Are you a vegetarian?

Do you own a leather purse, clothing upholstery, car with a leather interior?

Do you rail on Texas deer hunters, bird hunters, fisherman?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.B.Katz said:

Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and the Democratic Party are perhaps the greatest firearms salespeople ever. You folks keep up the good work, Jinxy.

I never wanted an AR-15 until Joe Biden and Beto told me I couldn't have one.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
quash
J.B.Katz said:

I am gladly willing to claim membership in in gun culture, but we don't have a gun nuts department. We do recognize that people with properly assessed mental health issues (and not Karens with one undergrad class in abnormal Psych waving red flags) should not be allowed to purchase guns as a matter of public safety. What identifies a "gun nut"?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Doc Holliday
quash said:

J.B.Katz said:

What identifies a "gun nut"?
Anyone who supports the 2A
Forest Bueller_bf
J.B.Katz said:

Hi Jinx,

I'm now 60 years old and until 2 years ago never owned anything more than a pellet gun, I shot my dads shotguns growing up, but never anything else.

My son loves military history and hunting rifles, over the past 2 years we have collected.

a Mauser military rifle
a SKS Norinco military rifle
a .22 LR Ruger Rifle
a Remington 875 12 gauge shotgun
an inherited Browning A5 1952 12 gauge shotgun.
and a .22LR Heritage Rough Rider special Revolver

We are not gun nuts in any way, nor a member of the NRA
nor a lover of Trump.

Not sure the purpose of this article, I think big game hunting of a defenseless animal in what is virtually a shooting gallery is stupid. But, I have plenty of rifles now, and know when an how to use them.

My son takes it to another level, he can completely disassemble all of the rifles, clean them perfectly and reassemble every little tiny part. I have taken a couple of the above older rifles and sanded the stocks down to raw wood, refinished them and now they look almost perfect, something really worth owning.

I suppose since I go to church fairly often and own guns, I'm lumped into the "clinging to guns and religion" group, in the minds of wealthy liberal elites. And hey that is fine with me, they are completely out of touch with reality, something I have no acquaintance with.
BaylorBJM
Canon said:

Wow! What an urgent, relevant and impactful story. Please share everything you know about other non-profit groups engaging in things they advocate. I hear tell that the members of the HRC and GLAAD may actually engage in gay marriage. NARAL members have had abortions, or so I've heard. This scandalous behavior must be revealed. Please get the truth out.

lulz in the past few days you have started threads about The Oscars, Popular Music and preferred pronouns on LinkedIn
Canon
BaylorBJM said:

Canon said:

lulz in the past few days you have started threads about The Oscars, Popular Music and preferred pronouns on LinkedIn

I see you admire my work. Always happy to hear from a fan.
Whiskey Pete
Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.B.Katz said:

Hi Jinx,

I'm now 60 years old and until 2 years ago never owned anything more than a pellet gun, I shot my dads shotguns growing up, but never anything else.

My son loves military history and hunting rifles, over the past 2 years we have collected.

a Mauser military rifle
a .22 LR Ruger Rifle

nor a lover of Trump.

Not sure the purpose of this article, I think big game hunting of a defenseless animal in what is virtually a shooting gallery is stupid. But, I have plenty of rifles now, and know when an how to use them.

My son takes it to another level, he can completely disassemble all of the rifles, clean them perfectly and reassemble every little tiny part. I have taken a couple of the above older rifles and sanded the stocks down to raw wood, refinished them and now they look almost perfect, something really worth owning.

I suppose since I go to church fairly often and own guns, I'm lumped into the "clinging to guns and religion" group, in the minds of wealthy liberal elites. And hey that is fine with me, they are completely out of touch with reality, something I have no acquaintance with.

So, is jb katz = Jinx really that crazy ex-staffer that takes screen shots of post and put them up on her twitter
ShooterTX
This is fun...

Now post the story about how the founders & leaders of BLM have become multi-millionaires by taking money from woke idiots.
ShooterTX
Forest Bueller_bf
Rawhide said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.B.Katz said:

Hi Jinx,

a Mauser military rifle
a .22 LR Ruger Rifle

nor a lover of Trump.

So, is jb katz = Jinx really that crazy ex-staffer that takes screen shots of post and put them up on her twitter
No that is a different person.. Jinx is a longtime poster who I believe is now JB Katz. We certainly disagree a lot of the time but Jinx in a good poster. That they have opinions that differ from me is not a problem.

Another person I wish who was back is Bubbadog. Hopefully his ban becomes temporary. He too brings a lot to these forums.
Whiskey Pete
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Rawhide said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.B.Katz said:

Hi Jinx,

a Mauser military rifle
a .22 LR Ruger Rifle

nor a lover of Trump.

No that is a different person.. Jinx is a longtime poster who I believe is now JB Katz. We certainly disagree a lot of the time but Jinx in a good poster. That they have opinions that differ from me is not a problem.

Another person I wish who was back is Bubbadog. Hopefully his ban becomes temporary. He too brings a lot to these forums.
Why did he get banned, do you know?
SSadler
Back to the video of elephant-killing (I don't even use "hunting" for what that video is about).

I am a gun owner and hunter, but that video turns my stomach, and I hope it would regardless of the size and species of the kill.

NRA members should be chagrined that their elected president was so incapable of kill shots on a non-moving target--(he fired three? four? shots at short distance even with the guides there to stalk and direct the shooter to a short-distance shot with scoped rifle.

Pretty sure THAT video is not what NRA is all about.
Forest Bueller_bf
Rawhide said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Rawhide said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.B.Katz said:

Hi Jinx,

a Mauser military rifle
a .22 LR Ruger Rifle

nor a lover of Trump.

Why did he get banned, do you know?
Not certain, but I know he always was fair in his discussions.
Forest Bueller_bf
SSadler said:

Back to the video of elephant-killing (I don't even use "hunting" for what that video is about).

I am a gun owner and hunter, but that video turns my stomach, and I hope it would regardless of the size and species of the kill.

NRA members should be chagrined that their elected president was so incapable of kill shots on a non-moving target--(he fired three? four? shots at short distance even with the guides there to stalk and direct the shooter to a short-distance shot with scoped rifle.

I didn't watch the video, but if you count every kind of rifle I've used, I've shot many thousands of times, and very accurately.

I wouldn't need a guide, if I was told where to hit the target, it would be done with one shot.

That said I would never ever ever shoot an animal in a target range type setting where the animal had no chance. From your description the man also sounds like an incompetent shooter.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Rawhide said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.B.Katz said:

Hi Jinx,

a Mauser military rifle
a .22 LR Ruger Rifle

nor a lover of Trump.

I miss Bubbadog too. I doubt he will comeback though. I think he would be too proud to come back under another name. Thats kinda CS in my book.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Herron2
SSadler said:

First shot put the elephant down. Thus, good and clean kill shot. The elephant was effectively dead. No wounded animal that gets away. The guides should have handed him one of their open site rifles for the finishing shot. Point blank with a scope often doesn't work though I made it work on a coyote I called in to under 10 yards this last fall using only my mouth (i.e. no mouth call, no recording). Ive hunted for over 40 years and live on my hunting property. I can literally walk out the door and hunt. This was a clean kill. Politicized, but what's new? No doubt, some would rather have the animal die a much slower death by disease or starvation ending with being eaten alive by lions or hyenas. I'm not a member of the NRA and I'm indifferent towards Lapierre, but a shot resulting in the quarry falling in its tracks, as happened in the video, is a textbook good shot. If you hunt, you should know this.
Shippou
I'm not a fan of trophy hunting endangered animals. I don't care about people hunting for sustenance or taking care of animals that have destroyed their property(wild pigs, coyotes, etc.)

But there's something about going across the globe and shooting animals that may not be around in 20-50 years that irks me.

Just my two cents, I don't give a damn about the nra or anything, I just like animals.
cms186
Shippou said:

I'm not a fan of trophy hunting endangered animals. I don't care about people hunting for sustenance or taking care of animals that have destroyed their property(wild pigs, coyotes, etc.)

But there's something about going across the globe and shooting animals that may not be around in 20-50 years that irks me.

Just my two sense, I don't give a damn about the nra or anything, I just like animals.
I feel the same, if you're going to kill an animal for food or its causing damage to your property in some way then fine, but trophy killing, especially for harmless animals (relatively) like Elephants (which are endangered) then i dont really get the point, i mean, Mrs LaPierre shouted "Victory" after sawing off an elephants tail, Victory? over what? a large, slow, defenceless target?
I'm the English Guy
Forest Bueller_bf
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Rawhide said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.B.Katz said:

Hi Jinx,

a Mauser military rifle
a .22 LR Ruger Rifle

nor a lover of Trump.

I miss Bubbadog too. I doubt he will comeback though. I think he would be too proud to come back under another name. Thats kinda CS in my book.
Yea, bubba is a good old school guy when it comes to morality. We need more bubba's on these boards.
Forest Bueller_bf
cms186 said:

Shippou said:

Just my two sense, I don't give a damn about the nra or anything, I just like animals.
I feel the same, if you're going to kill an animal for food or its causing damage to your property in some way then fine, but trophy killing, especially for harmless animals (relatively) like Elephants (which are endangered) then i dont really get the point, i mean, Mrs LaPierre shouted "Victory" after sawing off an elephants tail, Victory? over what? a large, slow, defenceless target?
Again didn't see the video, but prancing around acting like you've done something special when he/she make a target range kill is silly.

SSadler
Herron2 said:

SSadler said:

First shot put the elephant down. Thus, good and clean kill shot. The elephant was effectively dead. No wounded animal that gets away. The guides should have handed him one of their open site rifles for the finishing shot. Point blank with a scope often doesn't work though I made it work on a coyote I called in to under 10 yards this last fall using only my mouth (i.e. no mouth call, no recording). Ive hunted for over 40 years and live on my hunting property. I can literally walk out the door and hunt. This was a clean kill. Politicized, but what's new? No doubt, some would rather have the animal die a much slower death by disease or starvation ending with being eaten alive by lions or hyenas. I'm not a member of the NRA and I'm indifferent towards Lapierre, but a shot resulting in the quarry falling in its tracks, as happened in the video, is a textbook good shot. If you hunt, you should know this.
Herron. Glad you enjoy the sport.

I DO know. I understand the challenge of targeting a specific spot when all he probably saw in his scope was grey. But if wasn't capable of that kind of discernment he had no business being in that field.

With an animal on the ground (regardless of size), with a guide helping to know how/where/WHEN to place the second shot . . . it took this doofus FOUR total shots before the guide marked it done.

I'll stand by my comments that the man had (it's an outdated clip I now know) no business heading the NRA and more importantly had no business in unloading his chamber FOUR times when the animal was already DOWN and not a threat to harm anyone and not a risk of running away as a wounded animal.

You and I have a far different understanding of "clean kill".
Mothra
Shippou said:

We are in agreement on this. Trophy hunting is bull*****
bear2be2
SSadler said:

Herron2 said:

SSadler said:

Herron. Glad you enjoy the sport.

I DO know. I understand the challenge of targeting a specific spot when all he probably saw in his scope was grey. But if wasn't capable of that kind of discernment he had no business being in that field.

With an animal on the ground (regardless of size), with a guide helping to know how/where/WHEN to place the second shot . . . it took this doofus FOUR total shots before the guide marked it done.

I'll stand by my comments that the man had (it's an outdated clip I now know) no business heading the NRA and more importantly had no business in unloading his chamber FOUR times when the animal was already DOWN and not a threat to harm anyone and not a risk of running away as a wounded animal.

You and I have a far different understanding of "clean kill".

And didn't the story say that someone else had to eventually make the kill shot for him?

All I'll say is there's a reason the Lapierre and the NRA didn't want this video getting out.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

Shippou said:

I'm with you guys. I've never seen a trophy hunter whose company I've thought I would enjoy. You have to be a defective being IMO to want to kill a majestic creature for no other reason than to kill it and let others know you did.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Shippou said:

I'm with you guys. I've never seen a trophy hunter whose company I've thought I would enjoy. You have to be a defective being IMO to want to kill a majestic creature for no other reason than to kill it and let others know you did.
Yup. Disgusting.
Canon
You gentlemen must despise the Maasai. The Maasai people have traditionally viewed the killing of lions as a rite of passage, to prove their bravery and personal achievement. They continue this tradition today. They don't eat lion meat. They kill it and parse out the parts as trophies.

Do you hold our African neighbors to the same standards as you hold white dentists and lobbyists or no?
bear2be2
Canon said:

You gentlemen must despise the Maasai. The Maasai people have traditionally viewed the killing of lions as a rite of passage, to prove their bravery and personal achievement. They continue this tradition today. They don't eat lion meat. They kill it and parse out the parts as trophies.

Do you hold our African neighbors to the same standards as you hold white dentists and lobbyists or no?

Yes. Next question.

Killing beautiful, often endangered animals for no other reason than to prove you can is stupid and inhumane regardless of the race/culture of the "hunter."

That said, I do think there's a distinction to be made between locals killing animals native to their land and rich foreigners taking joy trips across the globe to murder endangered animals for fun.
Robert Wilson
People like to act like there is some clean line between killing for meat and killing for sport. There's not. Real hunters know that.
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

People like to act like there is some clean line between killing for meat and killing for sport. There's not. Real hunters know that.

I'm a pragmatist. The motivations don't particularly matter to me. The results and impact do.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

I'm a pragmatist. The motivations don't particularly matter to me. The results and impact do.
Then you should be pro trophy hunting in Africa. That's the only reason the big species have made a comeback.
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

bear2be2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Then you should be pro trophy hunting in Africa. That's the only reason the big species have made a comeback.

I support conservation efforts that don't actively deplete the population one is pretending to care about preserving. Is it good that the money hunters spend on these sick trips have had the unintended consequence of helping conservation efforts in these populations? Yes. Would these "hunters" stop killing these animals if they hadn't? No. This is just a fortuitous bounce that allows these sick ****ers to feel good about murdering exotic animals. But it's their money, not trophy hunting that has allowed these populations to rebound.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

bear2be2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

I support conservation efforts that don't actively deplete the population one is pretending to care about preserving. Is it good that the money hunters spend on these sick trips have had the unintended consequence of helping conservation efforts in these populations? Yes. Would these "hunters" stop killing these animals if they hadn't? No. This is just a fortuitous bounce that allows these sick ****ers to feel good about murdering exotic animals. But it's their money, not trophy hunting that has allowed these populations to rebound.
It's not a fortuitous bounce or an unintended consequence. The hunters are the conservationists. They put their money where their mouths are. They spend the money to run off the poachers, to protect the animals, to put in the breeding programs, to establish the habitat, to help the animals flourish. The people who hunt and fish are the ones who have the most passion and care most about the animals, though that's difficult for non sportsmen to understand. They're out there in the field because they love it - the good ones - no doubt there are some bad ones that make some headlines. The landowners put in the time to protect the wildlife and their habitat it because it is economically beneficial ... because of the hunters. Absent that industry, you can kiss the wildlife goodbye, no matter how many touchy feely tweets people send. The story has been repeated over and over again across the globe.
LIB,MR BEARS
Tribes have had areas destroyed by overpopulated elephants in their area (yes, an endangered animal can be overpopulated in particular areas). They have allowed these animals to be hunted which raises money for them and creates a healthier heard by reducing heard size to a manageable number.

I still haven't seen the video so I am speaking primarily to the comments on this thread.

One persons trophy is another's boredom. Some people place a great deal of pride in their whiskey or wine collection. I couldn't care less. That doesn't make me right or wrong. If you wouldn't shoot an elephant or Cape buffalo for a trophy, it doesn't make you right or wrong.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.