Labor shortages everywhere- stimulus

4,293 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BaylorOkie
ImwithBU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

I work in residential construction.

Our masons can't get guys to show up to work because they are making more money sitting at home.

Our concrete guy can't get people to show up to work because they are making more money sitting at home.

Our framers can't get guys to show up to work because they are making more money sitting at home.

Several of our suppliers are relaying that there are shipping delays as UPS is limiting freight pickups. They don't have enough drivers because they are making more money sitting at home.

I've talked to two restaurateurs in Waco and both said they are significantly short-staffed because they can't get people to work because they are making more money sitting at home.

Our appliance provider is limiting deliveries because they have only one delivery crew (instead of their typical 3) because the others make more money sitting at home.

A local staffing office told me they literally have zero candidates looking for a job. Zero. Businesses are calling looking for help and they don't have a single person on their lists because there is no motivation to work.

I'm all for helping people bridge the gap but this jobless aid/stimulus is not at all going as intended.

We closed on a rental house yesterday....new construction .

The contractor builds on a huge scale. On any given day he has a least 50 houses going up.

The labor force is at least 80% Hispani ( all legal ) .

Bull***** You have to fluent in English no way they all are legal. I don't have a problem with because they are doing jobs others don't want and making a legal living. But stop with the BS about them all being legal. Your guy might not be hiring them but he also isn't keeping one of the legal guys from bringing along his cousin or good friend who undocumented
Every worker I've talked to...in English...responded in English .

Out of hundreds of guys swarming over a construction site of this size.......could a few of them be illegal.......sure its a numbers game.

Is it intent of the general contractor to hire only legal workers ? Sure seems that way......especially with the large Hispanic community nearby in Greeley to draw from .

And I've know many legal Americans who were not fluent in English, including almost every man on the El Paso farm.

You're right. I know a woman who's father is a legal immigrant with a US passport that has lived in Oregon for 35 years. Nicest guy ever, but can hardly speak any English. He's somehow found a way to live in his Mexican community bubble and make a damn good living as an entreprenuer in the agriculture sector. At least $100k per year on his own.

Your anecdotal example is not the norm. FLUENT in ENGLISH is a requirement. You have to be able to speak it, write it and read it. If you haven't noticed, citizenship in the country was once easily to get. Not quite so easy these days so those people that got in 40, 30 or even 15 years ago have slim to no chance of passing a The test by current standards
BaylorGuy314
Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Our masons can't get guys to show up to work because they are making more money sitting at home.

Our concrete guy can't get people to show up to work because they are making more money sitting at home.

Our framers can't get guys to show up to work because they are making more money sitting at home.

Several of our suppliers are relaying that there are shipping delays as UPS is limiting freight pickups. They don't have enough drivers because they are making more money sitting at home.

I've talked to two restaurateurs in Waco and both said they are significantly short-staffed because they can't get people to work because they are making more money sitting at home.

Our appliance provider is limiting deliveries because they have only one delivery crew (instead of their typical 3) because the others make more money sitting at home.

A local staffing office told me they literally have zero candidates looking for a job. Zero. Businesses are calling looking for help and they don't have a single person on their lists because there is no motivation to work.

I'm all for helping people bridge the gap but this jobless aid/stimulus is not at all going as intended.

The contractor builds on a huge scale. On any given day he has a least 50 houses going up.

Bull***** You have to fluent in English no way they all are legal. I don't have a problem with because they are doing jobs others don't want and making a legal living. But stop with the BS about them all being legal. Your guy might not be hiring them but he also isn't keeping one of the legal guys from bringing along his cousin or good friend who undocumented

Is it intent of the general contractor to hire only legal workers ? Sure seems that way......especially with the large Hispanic community nearby in Greeley to draw from .

My subs are all legal. The guys they employ - on the other hand - I have no way of verifying. Again, the more experienced guys on a job site are typically legal. While many workers are legal, the grunt workers making $15/hour ($30-35K a year) are frequently paid in cash daily or once a week. That's not a lot of money but that's 3-4x what they'd make in Mexico.
Robert Wilson
Paying people a lot of money to do nothing ... terrible idea ... who'da thunk it.

Having people shut up in their houses watching tv, paying video games, eating ****, drinking, doing God knows what else and what substances, not out being productive and healthy ... terrible idea ... who'da thunk it.

We've spent the last year making atrocious policy choices, and we are just doubling down on them, even as the virus relents.
Forest Bueller_bf
Rawhide said:

riflebear said:

If they're offering $21 an hour to wash dishes, it doesn't sound like they need to raise minimum wage
I washed dishes at a restaurant a long time ago. That is a lot of money for a mindless monotonous job. Needless to say I was paid the minimum way back when I did it.
Chamberman
midgett said:

Welfare programs have unintended consequences.
I'm not sure that it was unintended. Instead of going through the political stink of raising the Federal minimum wage from $7.25 / hour. They are forcing the market to raise wages that are being offered to compete against the stimulus hourly unemployment wage of about $16-20 per hour depending upon your local market. Some McDonald franchises around the country are offering $50 to just come in and apply.
nein51
Chamberman said:

midgett said:

Welfare programs have unintended consequences.
I'm not sure that it was unintended. Instead of going through the political stink of raising the Federal minimum wage from $7.25 / hour. They are forcing the market to raise wages that are being offered to compete against the stimulus hourly unemployment wage of about $16-20 per hour depending upon your local market. Some McDonald franchises around the country are offering $50 to just come in and apply.
They are doing that near me. The question is can they hold out long enough before they have to fold. I went to Popeyes the other night. 40 minutes, I get to the thing to order...nothing, just silence, waited, asked if anyone was there..another 5-6 minutes and finally just drove off. Didnt need that garbage anyhow.
BaylorOkie
Oh, but the sammich is good.

/thread derailed
jupiter

Soooooo..... remind me again why we couldn't have had a response more like, say, South Korea? They didn't have to break the bank, nor did they have to sacrifice a large chunk of the labor force.

Dead and sick people can't work , we know that right?....did we just not have the foresight to anticipate this being a problem?

Hmmm where did all our slaves go? oh right we killed them all ....bugger...
Buddha Bear
jupiter said:

Soooooo..... remind me again why we couldn't have had a response more like, say, South Korea? They didn't have to break the bank, nor did they have to sacrifice a large chunk of the labor force.

Dead and sick people can't work , we know that right?....did we just not have the foresight to anticipate this being a problem?

Hmmm where did all our slaves go? oh right we killed them all ....bugger...
Universal healthcare is already included in every one of those countries budgets except one. They didn't need a rescue package for that, because they were smart enough to figure that out before the pandemic.

And all but China have stronger worker protections than the United States. We decided to hand out money with few strings attached to appease the angry population (and money to businesses over the individual by a factor 4 to 1). The other countries decided to subsidize businesses wages. Arguably the better choice.
Canada2017
whiterock said:

Buddha Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ImwithBU said:

Canada2017 said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Every worker I've talked to...in English...responded in English .

Out of hundreds of guys swarming over a construction site of this size.......could a few of them be illegal.......sure its a numbers game.

And I've know many legal Americans who were not fluent in English, including almost every man on the El Paso farm.

You're right. I know a woman who's father is a legal immigrant with a US passport that has lived in Oregon for 35 years. Nicest guy ever, but can hardly speak any English. He's somehow found a way to live in his Mexican community bubble and make a damn good living as an entreprenuer in the agriculture sector. At least $100k per year on his own.
He can go days without ever HAVING to speak english.
There are huge areas of West Texas where it is necessary to speak SPANISH if you expect to get any business done.

Been that way for over 30 years.

The idea that one has to be fluent in English to be a legal American is extremely naive.
nein51
According to the CDC 93% of COVID deaths were people over 55. 81% were 65 and older. 60% were 75 or older. 32% were 85+ (data through February as it was the easiest chart to find, thought I doubt the % have really changed much).

The median age of the US workforce is 41.9 years.

So tell me again how "we" killed all of the "slaves". I like a good fairy tale.

Using March 2021 numbers there are 121.84 million workers in the US workforce. If we focus on 25-65 then .069% of the workforce died due to COVID. Not 1%...not even .1%.

Even if you were 85+ you were almost 7 times more likely to die from something other than COVID.

The virus was deadly but it's not why we have a labor shortage, at least not in the way you're espousing.
Florda_mike
Robert Wilson said:

Paying people a lot of money to do nothing ... terrible idea ... who'da thunk it.

Having people shut up in their houses watching tv, paying video games, eating ****, drinking, doing God knows what else and what substances, not out being productive and healthy ... terrible idea ... who'da thunk it.

We've spent the last year making atrocious policy choices, and we are just doubling down on them, even as the virus relents.

^^^ All proof they want us all broke and dependent, or dead!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
In Biden's press conference today, he is in total denial that excessive unemployment benefits are preventing job growth when asked directly. Only 266,000 jobs added in April. 1,000,000+ were expected.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
4th and Inches
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

In Biden's press conference today, he is in total denial that excessive unemployment benefits are preventing job growth when asked directly. Only 266,000 jobs added in April. 1,000,000+ were expected.
why were they expected? What has this admin done to produce a million new jobs in one month? Serious question.
BaylorGuy314
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The people in DC (right and left) live in a bubble.

I was just speaking yesterday to yet another restauranteur in Waco. He's now offering $15/hour to make sandwiches and still can't get anyone to work it. His workforce is down30-40%. The irony, he says, is that he really had no issue paying $15/hour to his better people years ago but that's it's hard to even justify minimum wage to someone who only shows up half the time when they are scheduled and can't make a sandwich without cheese when the order clearly says "no cheese."
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
4th and Inches said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

why were they expected? What has this admin done to produce a million new jobs in one month? Serious question.
That is a very good question. It is Biden's own Labor Department that makes the projections.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2021/05/07/april-jobs-report-unemployment-rate/?sh=3223140b9354

For what its worth, 916,000 jobs were added in March. "We're back on track" and "we're headed in the right direction" cheerleading doesn't seem to ring true.

-- Barack Obama
HuMcK
A Facebook post in the local community watch group made me think of this thread. The local Applebees can't find enough help, which generated a long thread about how lazy and entitled people are for not wanting to work. Buried deep in that thread is the actual kitchen manager saying they are looking to pay servers $2.13 an hour, or the "tipped" minimum wage. They want to pay cooks $10 an hour. Free lunch and dinner (but not any time off to eat it) are what passes for "benefits".

Anybody in here ever worked a minimum wage food-service job? I have, and I understand why people don't want to do it now. Usually a glut of openings means an increase in compensation, but at least where I'm at in Central Texas that hasn't materialized yet.
whiterock
HuMcK said:

A Facebook post in the local community watch group made me think of this thread. The local Applebees can't find enough help, which generated a long thread about how lazy and entitled people are for not wanting to work. Buried deep in that thread is the actual kitchen manager saying they are looking to pay servers $2.13 an hour, or the "tipped" minimum wage. They want to pay cooks $10 an hour. Free lunch and dinner (but not any time off to eat it) are what passes for "benefits".

Anybody in here ever worked a minimum wage food-service job? I have, and I understand why people don't want to do it now. Usually a glut of openings means an increase in compensation, but at least where I'm at in Central Texas that hasn't materialized yet.
because the glut of openings is due to sovereign action - the government has waded into the labor market with stimulus checks and extended unemployment. Labor is sitting idle because it is being paid to do so. There will be no free market increase in wages as a result of that, because everyone knows that sovereign action will end.

And out ahead of the end of unemployment and stimulus is a wave of unskilled labor pouring across our southern border, which will put DOWNWARD pressure on those jobs you mentioned.

Clamoring for doubling the minimum wage while drastically increasing the supply of unskilled labor which will depress the price of unskilled labor is insanity....like pouring gas & water on the fire at the same time. But then, that's what Democrats are wont do. Demand what feels good no matter the consequences.
Jacques Strap
whiterock
Jacques Strap said:

Employment Prevention Program!
4th and Inches
whiterock said:

Jacques Strap said:

Employment Prevention Program!
paycheck invention program- payroll magic! No job required
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
HuMcK said:

It used to be a matter of pride. There used to be a stigma attached to collecting unemployment kinda like having a child out of wedlock. Both used to be shameful. No more. Now both are bragged about and celebrated on Facebook. If you lost your job, you busted your ass to get another one as soon as possible. Times have changed.

-- Barack Obama
HuMcK
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

HuMcK said:

It used to be a matter of pride. There used to be a stigma attached to collecting unemployment kinda like having a child out of wedlock. Both used to be shameful. No more. Now both are bragged about and celebrated on Facebook. If you lost your job, you busted your ass to get another one as soon as possible. Times have changed.

Yup, employer loyalty went the way of the dodo bird. All these people on unemployment now were dropped like a hot potato from a previous jobs, and most of them don't want want to return to the workforce for a downgrade.
BaylorOkie
Yes, the people who are sitting on the sidelines collecting unemployment when there are jobs available are lazy and entitled. You can spin it any way you want.

They are losers in life. They focus on the $2.25/hr because that's the minimum guaranteed with no effort. When in reality if you are just a passable server you will make well over $20/hr, even at an Applebee's full of boomers.

And in this country, if you GET OFF YOUR ASS and do something with your life, you will blow past the poverty level no matter what your situation, with very few exceptions. Have some damn pride and ambition.

The progressives and their incoherent "leader" are taking care of our losers. Congratulations, you really upgraded. From a petulant child to a senile old goat. Hooray American voters.
BaylorOkie
HuMcK said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

HuMcK said:

Yup, employer loyalty went the way of the dodo bird. All these people on unemployment now were dropped like a hot potato from a previous jobs, and most of them don't want want to return to the workforce for a downgrade.
Cry me a damn river. Life throws you curveballs. Get off your ass and work through it.

I speak from experience. 2008 obliterated my wife and I and with more zeros on the end of the numbers than these morons. No one cared about us. But in this country there is opportunity, and we rolled up our sleeves and worked our asses off and got it all back and them some. Crazy how that works.
HuMcK
BaylorOkie said:

HuMcK said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

HuMcK said:

Cry me a damn river. Life throws you curveballs. Get off your ass and work through it.

I speak from experience. 2008 obliterated my wife and I and with more zeros on the end of the numbers than these morons. No one cared about us. But in this country there is opportunity, and we rolled up our sleeves and worked our asses off and got it all back and them some. Crazy how that works.

Did you take a min wage job at Applebees to claw yourself back, or were you more selective? It's not the really the good paying career jobs that are experiencing shortages, and we're talking about people who don't have a bunch of "zeros" to lose like you did...
4th and Inches
I amble through life serendipitously and make about $30 an hour working for myself... this ignores the retirement income and rental property income.

I started the business from scratch in 2011 after i got bored with retirement. I choose the work i want and take off when I want...

Making money is not hard if you want to...
BaylorOkie
I poured concrete and trimmed houses for a couple months until I got a job in finance. I got off my ass and took care of my wife and baby. Filing for unemployment never even crossed my mind.

The problem here is people think minimum wage jobs are the only option. With only a few exceptions, anyone who can't get past minimum wage in a fairly short amount of time is lazy. If you think you should get paid better wages without working for them you are entitled.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.