Capitalist Ingenuity Wins again - Plastic Becomes Jet Fuel!

785 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Guy Noir
Canon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another pillar of environmental hysteria has fallen. The angst about plastics somehow polluting the world without end and prohibitions on plastic bags and straws has met the power of the human mind and is on the road to extinction.

If there's money to be made solving a problem, the problem will be solved. There's almost always money to be made solving a problem.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9504971/Single-use-plastics-converted-FUEL-jets-diesel.html

Single-use plastics are converted into FUEL for jets and diesel engines by breaking the material down with household product

It uses materials found in water softener and antacid to break down plastic
It can be done in a few hours at a temperature of about 480 degrees Fahrenheit
Researchers say the process works on different plastics at once, and they don't have to be sorted
The resulting molecules can be used for jet fuel, diesel and lubricant
Buddha Bear
Exciting stuff, the Swedes are world leaders in this area. While I haven't seen this process used for jet fuel until now, we've been using plastics for heat and electricity generation increasingly over the last decade or so. Especially Europe and Asia. Hoping the US can keep improving their landfills in this area. My job depends on it. I'm sure we will. There's a lot of money to be made.
Canon
Buddha Bear said:

Exciting stuff, the Swedes are world leaders in this area. While I haven't seen this process used for jet fuel until now, we've been using plastics for heat and electricity generation increasingly over the last decade or so. Especially Europe and Asia. Hoping the US can keep improving their landfills in this area. My job depends on it. I'm sure we will. There's a lot of money to be made.

It really speaks to the inevitability of economic growth and how even unforeseen challenges eventually are either eliminated or turned into opportunities for yet further growth. The environmental Neo-Malthusianism is as ever, overwrought and incorrect and technology offers an absolute net positive outlook for humanity....except those creepy dog robots...those need to go
whiterock
First we sequester gigatons of carbon in single-use plastics which will be buried at landfill or sea, then we decide to find a way to liberate it all into the atmosphere so the wealthy can fly jet airplanes to more climate conferences.

I swear, these climate change folks don't know whether they're coming or going.
Buddha Bear
whiterock said:

First we sequester gigatons of carbon in single-use plastics which will be buried at landfill or sea, then we decide to find a way to liberate it all into the atmosphere so the wealthy can fly jet airplanes to more climate conferences.

I swear, these climate change folks don't know whether they're coming or going.

Haha well you kinda know what you're talking about. Buried plastics at sea though? Very optimistic of you. Plastic as a fuel is still better than pulling new carbon out of the ground and burning it off. Not a perfect solution obviously. The elite's version of recycling maybe?
Guy Noir
That is a neat idea. It is an idea worth following.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.