Liz Cheney: The GOP is at a turning point. History is watching us

57,101 Views | 1080 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
HuMcK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam: "It's not only about getting what you want. It's about the health of the republic. Some of you have lost all sense of this."

if you really believe that, then you should support things like the vote audit going on in Arizona.

Answer the questions, put the doubts to rest.

To be clear, Joe Biden won the election once the states certified their results and the Electoral College also certified the tallies. That's the law, and no question.

But it's undeniable that Democrats did everything they could to sell Vote by Mail, with less security than any vote in the last century, changed laws in the months immediately preceding the election, in several cases in violation of the state's constitution, and there is a hell of a lot of suspicious behavior about votes which just happened to turn up in the middle of the night in certain towns where Democrats held control of the voting counts.

Trump was an idiot in how he handed a lot of things in 2020, but there are reasons to demand a serious audit into what happened.

This is the third audit of Maricopa County. The first two done by professionals, this one conducted by nitwits. Georgia recounted twice, looking at every ballot by hand. Course were available in about 60 cases filed by Trump and associates and they could not produce any proof. Sydney Powell promised for weeks on end that she had jaw dropping evidence that would blow it all open, now she just hides.

The election "contest" is a carnival freak show. But t keeps rubes entertained.
What are your political goals?

Why do you vote for Democrats?
Two weeks ago I answered that exact question for you with a well-tough out post. I am not going to do it again just so you can deflect.

My "political goal" in this thread is to say that American democracy is a system that works and worked in the 2020 election. As opposed to those who want to tear down the very things that make us great..
So, tell us big guy, did democracy work in the 2016 election or was it rigged by Russia and Trump?
It worked in 2016 and 2020.

Did you have the same opprobrium for your Democrat friends and their incessant claims of stolen elections (both US and states like Georgia) over the last 4 years?

I'll rely on your honesty here, but I suspect you were quite silent on the matter until it affected the legitimacy of your preferred Democrat candidate.
Yes, when Hillary whined. Also when Trump whined and incited a riot.

I sent money to the Republican senate candidates for the run-off, the run off that Trump cost us.

Just an aside, but I do have Democrat friends and acquaintances. They aren't my enemies.

Incited a riot? No.

Democrats hate America. You can call them what you like, however, if you hate America, there's a word for that.
I am a Democrat. I don't hate America.

If you are a Democrat, then your second statement is false.
Sad for you to believe this. You have been brainwashed.

No. I've simply observed the Democrat party and their calls and efforts to destroy the US economy, US history, constitutional protections and divide the US into warring tribes. Democrats clearly and demonstrably hate America.

You are what you do.

You Trumpists excused near-treason and lawlessly attacked the Capitol to overturn legitimate election results based on malicious lies, all for a reality TV grifter...and yet here you are accusing others of hating America...
Mothra
HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Booray was referencing states changing voting laws. That is what I was responding to.

Were you attempting to change the topic?
You mentioned "making DC a state, packing the Court, amnesty for illegals, and ending the filibuster." I'd put voting laws in the same category. I'm shocked that you would equate any of those things with riots or rebellion.

Honestly, I am not sure what you are talking about. I am not sure you do either.
I'm talking about, as Booray said, the danger of the widespread belief that the election was stolen.
And I said, I agree with Booray on that point. Perhaps you missed it.

But as I also said, the motives may be different, but the methods are a distinction without a difference.

That's all I wanted to know. And it's bonkers. But thanks.
Just to be clear, you think "making DC a state, packing the Court, amnesty for illegals, and ending the filibuster" is all that different from the laws being passed in state legislatures?

It's not necessarily the laws, but the underlying premise that is the problem. That's what undermines the Constitution and incites riots.
The premise is irrelevant to facially-neutral law that makes elections more secure.

Adding states and ending the filibuster are both "facially-neutral" measures as well, I wonder why it is that Republicans are so opposed to those "neutral" proposals...
Probably the same reason the Dems are concerned about the election laws.
Oldbear83
"I am a Democrat. I don't hate America."

Well, which is it?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
HuMcK
Mothra said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Booray was referencing states changing voting laws. That is what I was responding to.

You mentioned "making DC a state, packing the Court, amnesty for illegals, and ending the filibuster." I'd put voting laws in the same category. I'm shocked that you would equate any of those things with riots or rebellion.

Honestly, I am not sure what you are talking about. I am not sure you do either.
I'm talking about, as Booray said, the danger of the widespread belief that the election was stolen.

But as I also said, the motives may be different, but the methods are a distinction without a difference.

Just to be clear, you think "making DC a state, packing the Court, amnesty for illegals, and ending the filibuster" is all that different from the laws being passed in state legislatures?

It's not necessarily the laws, but the underlying premise that is the problem. That's what undermines the Constitution and incites riots.
The premise is irrelevant to facially-neutral law that makes elections more secure.

Adding states and ending the filibuster are both "facially-neutral" measures as well, I wonder why it is that Republicans are so opposed to those "neutral" proposals...

Exactly, because they are all obviously designed to provide a partisan advantage, glad we can agree on why GOP states are reforming their election laws. At least the Dems schemes are designed to increase representation instead of lessening it by disenfranchising voters.
Florda_mike
Booray said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam: "It's not only about getting what you want. It's about the health of the republic. Some of you have lost all sense of this."

if you really believe that, then you should support things like the vote audit going on in Arizona.

To be clear, Joe Biden won the election once the states certified their results and the Electoral College also certified the tallies. That's the law, and no question.

But it's undeniable that Democrats did everything they could to sell Vote by Mail, with less security than any vote in the last century, changed laws in the months immediately preceding the election, in several cases in violation of the state's constitution, and there is a hell of a lot of suspicious behavior about votes which just happened to turn up in the middle of the night in certain towns where Democrats held control of the voting counts.

Trump was an idiot in how he handed a lot of things in 2020, but there are reasons to demand a serious audit into what happened.

This is the third audit of Maricopa County. The first two done by professionals, this one conducted by nitwits. Georgia recounted twice, looking at every ballot by hand. Course were available in about 60 cases filed by Trump and associates and they could not produce any proof. Sydney Powell promised for weeks on end that she had jaw dropping evidence that would blow it all open, now she just hides.

Two weeks ago I answered that exact question for you with a well-tough out post. I am not going to do it again just so you can deflect.

My "political goal" in this thread is to say that American democracy is a system that works and worked in the 2020 election. As opposed to those who want to tear down the very things that make us great..
So, tell us big guy, did democracy work in the 2016 election or was it rigged by Russia and Trump?

Did you have the same opprobrium for your Democrat friends and their incessant claims of stolen elections (both US and states like Georgia) over the last 4 years?

I'll rely on your honesty here, but I suspect you were quite silent on the matter until it affected the legitimacy of your preferred Democrat candidate.

I sent money to the Republican senate candidates for the run-off, the run off that Trump cost us.

Just an aside, but I do have Democrat friends and acquaintances. They aren't my enemies.

Incited a riot? No.

Democrats hate America. You can call them what you like, however, if you hate America, there's a word for that.

Maybe not but you dam sure must love you some China, you ****ing idiot!!!
Mothra
HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Exactly, because they are all obviously designed to provide a partisan advantage, glad we can agree on why GOP states are reforming their election laws. At least the Dems schemes are designed to increase representation instead of lessening it by disenfranchising voters.
I've never suggested there was a difference behind the motives. You are the poster who tried to make that distinction.
HuMcK
Mothra said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

HuMcK said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

I've never suggested there was a difference behind the motives. You are the poster who tried to make that distinction.

My distinction was actually between proposals and signed bills. The Dem ideas are just that, ideas (which are currently dead in the water, btw). Republican states have already made changes. You're trying to conflate proposed ideas with actions taken, which is a ridiculously bad faith position to hold.

If we agree that Republicans have already taken steps to increase their partisan advantage, which as far as I can tell you have generated exactly 0 words of criticism about, why should we listen to your gripes about what Dems want to do?
STxBear81
she is a turncoat. she is not right. neither is cnn or other clown media outlets . they all suck donkey hooves
Canon
HuMcK said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Incited a riot? No.

No. I've simply observed the Democrat party and their calls and efforts to destroy the US economy, US history, constitutional protections and divide the US into warring tribes. Democrats clearly and demonstrably hate America.

You are what you do.

You Trumpists excused near-treason and lawlessly attacked the Capitol to overturn legitimate election results based on malicious lies, all for a reality TV grifter...and yet here you are accusing others of hating America...

Trying to deflect what you Democrats actually do by citing things Trump didn't do doesn't help your cause. You merely provide more evidence that you hate America via your peddling falsehoods.
Osodecentx
BornAgain said:

she is a turncoat. she is not right. neither is cnn or other clown media outlets . they all suck donkey hooves
It isn't safe to ignore conscience
BaylorBJM
Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Incited a riot? No.

You are what you do.

lulz. I can't wait to tell my friends and family who serve in the various branches of the US military who also just happen to vote democrat that, despite their actions and lifetime of serving this country, they "clearly and demonstrably hate America."

If you'd like, send me your address so I can pass it along to some of them. Perhaps you can start a pen pal chain?

I'm sure they'd love to get more of your completely balanced, reasoned and well-thought out opinions on this matter.
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

BornAgain said:

Judging by Biden's election and Obama's 2 terms, for some it is very safe to ignore conscience.
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

BornAgain said:

she did. Ignoring the overwhelming sentiment of her district and her caucus, and instead following the whims of her own (misguided) sensibilities caused her not a single pang of conscience.
Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

BornAgain said:

she did. Ignoring the overwhelming sentiment of her district and her caucus, and instead following the whims of her own (misguided) sensibilities caused her not a single pang of conscience.
She did the right thing.
Trump has the approval of about 30% of Republicans and may cost us the House in 2022
Oldbear83
"She did the right thing."

No, she alienated a good 40% of Republicans.

You don't fight a fire by spraying gasoline.
HuMcK
Oldbear83 said:

"She did the right thing."

No, she alienated a good 40% of Republicans.

You don't fight a fire by spraying gasoline.

You certainly don't fight a fire by feeding it. GOP acceptance of the Lie is the gasoline that's causing the flames to keep burning out of control. Cheney attempted to put out the fire by pouring cold water on it (i.e. publicly refuting the Big Lie), and she is being punished for it.

What does it say about your party that speaking unvarnished truth is alienating to a good 40% of the adherents?
Booray
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

BornAgain said:

She did the right thing.
Trump has the approval of about 30% of Republicans and may cost us the House in 2022
The GOP's problem is hemorrhaging suburban voters. This episode makes that problem worse. On the other hand, midterms are all about voter enthusiasm and Trump is very good at that.

GOP is counting on gerrymandering the districts so that their suburban problem is not fatal. You are going to see some very strange looking districts.
Oldbear83
You stand in a sewer, HuMcK, and imagine everyone else is the bad smell.
Canon
BaylorBJM said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Incited a riot? No.

You are what you do.

lulz. I can't wait to tell my friends and family who serve in the various branches of the US military who also just happen to vote democrat that, despite their actions and lifetime of serving this country, they "clearly and demonstrably hate America."

If you'd like, send me your address so I can pass it along to some of them. Perhaps you can start a pen pal chain?

I'm sure they'd love to get more of your completely balanced, reasoned and well-thought out opinions on this matter.

Plenty of people infest government intent on destroying the country.
BaylorBJM
Canon said:

BaylorBJM said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Incited a riot? No.

You are what you do.

So youre doubling down on the idiocy.

That's a bold strategy cotton.

But sadly, it's not a surprising one for you and your sock.
chriscbear
Dear Liz, where are the weapons of mass destruction ? By the way the first 2 words I learned to say were Jesus and GOP.
TexasScientist
BornAgain said:

She's principled, has character and conservative. Something the trumpets and the likes of 'BornAgain' to don't understand. McCarthy is a Trump sycophant and chameleon. Cancel culture at its height. McCarthy is turning the GOP into a small tent party filled with charlatans, kooks, crazy conspiracy theorists, and white supremacists, and neo nazi fascists with Trump as the tent pole.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
TexasScientist
chriscbear said:

Dear Liz, where are the weapons of mass destruction ? By the way the first 2 words I learned to say were Jesus and GOP.
Too bad you didn't learn the definitions.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Canon
BaylorBJM said:

Canon said:

BaylorBJM said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Incited a riot? No.

You are what you do.

Frankly I'm just so shocked you didn't use your ever present laughing emoji as a filler for the lack of anything useful to say, I'm almost too stunned to point out you still have nothing useful to say. Well done!
STxBear81
Funny analysis. I don't mind you disagreeing with me. It's just amazing you believe the complete opposite
BaylorBJM
Canon said:

BaylorBJM said:

Canon said:

BaylorBJM said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Incited a riot? No.

You are what you do.

Frankly I'm just so shocked you didn't use your ever present laughing emoji as a filler for the lack of anything useful to say, I'm almost too stunned to point out you still have nothing useful to say. Well done!

I'm not surprised you're stunned. Reason and logic can have that effect on the simple-minded and ignorant.

OP in my quote took the position every.single.democrat hates America. I responded by stating I'm quite certain, unequivocally in fact, my friends and family members who serve and put their lives on the line every day for this country yet who are also democrats, do not in fact hate America. Quite the opposite in fact.

You responded by siding with the OP's absolute and moronic statement. <insertdodgeballqifhere>

And I use the laughing emoji because nearly everything you and your socks post are a complete joke.

Sadly, this one is just more of the same. Congrats on your impressive streak though. You're entering Ripken territory.
TexasScientist
BornAgain said:

Funny analysis. I don't mind you disagreeing with me. It's just amazing you believe the complete opposite
Liz is far more conservative than Stefanik, the Trump replacement. Fealty over principles.
TexasScientist
Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I'm shocked a Republican is saying this. Standing on principle is something I thought the GOP abandoned long ago. Valuing America might not be popular on either side, but at least here is 1 politician who does.
And we will cast her out for calling out Trump

If she's cast out, it will be for putting personality above policy, largely in a bid to stem the loss of power establishment republicans, like her, Romney, etc., were experiencing. She sided with Democrats to take down her internal political party opponents by casting them as immoral....which is like a cobra chastising a rattle snake for being poisonous.

The key takeaway is that she sided with Democrats. She sided with a truly antiAmerican party to try and shore up her power. She needs to go.
The key take away is she has sided with truth over propitiation to Trump. She chose character and principle, something rare today.
Waco1947
Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Yes it did. Trump won.
Waco1947
Sam Lowry said:

Cheney and her ilk are wrong on a lot of things, but they're 100% right on this. This is completely unacceptable for anyone who claims to love the Constitution and the rule of law.
The salient point
Forest Bueller_bf
Osodecentx said:

BornAgain said:

I don't believe a national level politician does anything out of conscience, they do it out if opportunity.

She sees opportunity out there somewhere. Maybe the "conservative" voice on a CNN program or something.

Politicians are not honest people.

Maybe Joe Lieberman was, maybe, I just don't see the others. They all have some shtick working.
Canon
TexasScientist said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I'm shocked a Republican is saying this. Standing on principle is something I thought the GOP abandoned long ago. Valuing America might not be popular on either side, but at least here is 1 politician who does.

If she's cast out, it will be for putting personality above policy, largely in a bid to stem the loss of power establishment republicans, like her, Romney, etc., were experiencing. She sided with Democrats to take down her internal political party opponents by casting them as immoral....which is like a cobra chastising a rattle snake for being poisonous.

The key takeaway is that she sided with Democrats. She sided with a truly antiAmerican party to try and shore up her power. She needs to go.
The key take away is she has sided with truth over propitiation to Trump. She chose character and principle, something rare today.

LC isn't principled. Establishment Republicans like her and Romney have no principles. They act to protect and grow their own power. The last administration didn't upset them because Trump is a coarse jerk. It upset them because they were losing power. She sided with Democrats in an unconstitutional power play. She has no principles.
curtpenn
Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

HuMcK said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

She sided with the Constitution, not party. You put loyalty to Trump above all principle

She did not. She sided with an outright lie. I'm loyal to no politician.
Trump says the election was stolen. That is the lie. To ignore Trump's statements is to abet the big lie

Democrats said the election was stolen for 4 years and you only get upset when a republican does it. Your true colors are showing. The Democrats normalized that talk. Trump, as ever, played their game by their rules and they/you got upset he did. You lost your voice when you failed to use it for four years.
Democrats who said the 2016 election was stolen weren't taken seriously. Nobody paid any attention to Clinton. There was no reason to get upset.
A Special Counsel was established and we spent Millions of dollars investigating the claims. The House impeached the President taking him to the brink of removal. How is that not being taken seriously?

People still believe vehemently that the Russians stole the election for Trump and were so fearful of it they coordinated with private companies to combat misinformation during the 2020 election.
Did Dem states immediately begin passing laws to change the rules in their favor like Republicans are doing now?

Does making DC a state, packing the Court, amnesty for illegals, and ending the filibuster count?

Or is that something you don't acknowledge Dems are attempting because of YOUR partisan loyalty?
Attempting change using constitutional methods is not the same as actual change achieved by undermining constitutional procedures. Election laws are one thing-the premise of those laws (that vote fraud exists at a large scale and changed the result of the 2020 election) is the real danger.
If they're undermining constitutional procedures, then that is why we have federal courts and these laws will be struck down.

But really, you are arguing a distinction without a difference.
Not really. I didn't say the laws as written are unconstitutional and the federal bench as presently constituted is not going to say that either.

My point was that the laws are being passed to buttress a fantasy that the 2020 election was "stolen." A widespread belief that elections cannot be trusted is dangerous to democracy. Encouraging that belief while knowing the underlying factual premise to be untrue is the tactic of despots.
How about we change it from "elections cannot be trusted" to "the electorate cannot be trusted"? Turns out a malformed citizenry is an inherent danger to a republic.
curtpenn
Canon said:

TexasScientist said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

LC isn't principled. Establishment Republicans like her and Romney have no principles. They act to protect and grow their own power. The last administration didn't upset them because Trump is a coarse jerk. It upset them because they were losing power. She sided with Democrats in an unconstitutional power play. She has no principles.
On this, we agree.
Canon
curtpenn said:

Canon said:

TexasScientist said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

On this, we agree.

Oh, we agree on lots of things. That we can find common ground where it exists and don't hate each other, means we are awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.