Texas Senate passes Constitutional Carry Bill..Heads back to House.

3,607 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by quash
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://texasscorecard.com/state/constitutional-carry-gets-approval-in-texas-senate/
curtpenn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bexar Pitts said:

https://texasscorecard.com/state/constitutional-carry-gets-approval-in-texas-senate/
I've been putting off getting a LTC forever. Just too much trouble and a bit of an expense. Not sure how often I'd actually carry anyway. That said, the older I get (66 now) and the more my physical abilities deteriorate, I find myself wishing I was carrying from time to time. I've always been a bigger guy - 6'3" x 250ish - and generally have believed I was likely to be unmolested thanks in part to size. Now I'm just old, slow, and out of shape. Thinking I might some day need an equalizer. Would like to see this pass. Already have a couple of carry candidates in the arsenal.
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

https://texasscorecard.com/state/constitutional-carry-gets-approval-in-texas-senate/
I've been putting off getting a LTC forever. Just too much trouble and a bit of an expense. Not sure how often I'd actually carry anyway. That said, the older I get (66 now) and the more my physical abilities deteriorate, I find myself wishing I was carrying from time to time. I've always been a bigger guy - 6'3" x 250ish - and generally have believed I was likely to be unmolested thanks in part to size. Now I'm just old, slow, and out of shape. Thinking I might some day need an equalizer. Would like to see this pass. Already have a couple of carry candidates in the arsenal.
From the article, the Senate tagged 8 amendments on the House version, a few of which may be problematic for House to let through. Abbott says he'll sign it, so if the Legislature can agree, this could get signed and into law Sept 1st. Only a couple of dozen days left in this session, however..
Guy Noir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I disagree with this bill. I would be fine for most people but there are enough ding-dongs out there that are/would be dangerous to have possession of a gun without some training.
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guy Noir said:

I disagree with this bill. I would be fine for most people but there are enough ding-dongs out there that are/would be dangerous to have possession of a gun without some training.
Although the Bill is still somewhat in the last stages of the "sausage making" portion, it might make it to the Governor's desk in the next couple of weeks. There really hasn't been much publicity of the Bill until recently, and I'm sure there are very strong feelings on both sides. It will be interesting to see what the final Bill looks like, and what both supporters and opponents will do to promote their positions.
90sBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have my LTC although I rarely carry.

I would have to see the bill to make a more informed opinion on the matter, but my gut reaction is that I am not a fan.

Although I did not find the shooting test portion of the course to be that challenging even though I was raised more hunting than pistol shooting, it does show the person who has never been around firearms what it is like. Mostly what I appreciated about the course was learning the law - that you are responsible for whatever happens to that bullet once it leaves your gun, etc. and the discussions on situations and how to respond.

I think it's better to have fewer but educated and trained people carrying rather than just a higher volume of people carrying who may have never even pulled a trigger.
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Friscobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.
“At the end of the day, for 40 minutes, we just kicked their ass.”

- Mark Vital
Carlos Cruz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"


I prepared several days to get my ltc. How many days did you prepare to register to vote?
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friscobear said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carlos Cruz said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"


I prepared several days to get my ltc. How many days did you prepare to register to vote?


If the law passes you would spend zero time preparing. Why is it ok to have no burden on the right to bear arms and have greater burdens on the right to vote?
GrowlTowel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"


Wait. You want people to take classes on how to vote?
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GrowlTowel said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"


Wait. You want people to take classes on how to vote?


Almost everyone does already through school or citizenship class. But what I really want is for an application to get a carry license be available only at the same place and through the same appointment system as government ID for voter registration.
Iron Claw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"


Not the same. You already have to provide ID and go through a background check to purchase the gun. That's more stringent than showing an ID to vote.

OK has constitutional carry already and I haven't noticed any difference in its prevalence. Was a big deal when it was being passed but haven't heard a word about it since.
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
90sBear said:

I have my LTC although I rarely carry.

I would have to see the bill to make a more informed opinion on the matter, but my gut reaction is that I am not a fan.

Although I did not find the shooting test portion of the course to be that challenging even though I was raised more hunting than pistol shooting, it does show the person who has never been around firearms what it is like. Mostly what I appreciated about the course was learning the law - that you are responsible for whatever happens to that bullet once it leaves your gun, etc. and the discussions on situations and how to respond.

I think it's better to have fewer but educated and trained people carrying rather than just a higher volume of people carrying who may have never even pulled a trigger.


Yeah my military friends where we live(there's a high percent in NW Florida) have sobered me too on actually killing a person if you have to

I grew up hunting too and always have but they say killing a person is completely different than killing an animal. That made me think about it

But times are changing rapidly for the worse in this country and there's places there's no way I'd go without a gun today

Heck DeSantis signed a bill that you can't be charged fleeing a threatening crowd in your car. Who'd have thought people would routinely attack car drivers where a law like this would've been needed?
Carlos Cruz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"


I prepared several days to get my ltc. How many days did you prepare to register to vote?


If the law passes you would spend zero time preparing. Why is it ok to have no burden on the right to bear arms and have greater burdens on the right to vote?


My right to bear arms is already burdened. I cannot own any type of weapon I wish. I will have to provide identification when I buy a gun. You sure are ignorant about this topic.
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"


I prepared several days to get my ltc. How many days did you prepare to register to vote?


If the law passes you would spend zero time preparing. Why is it ok to have no burden on the right to bear arms and have greater burdens on the right to vote?


If your question had merit, which it doesn't at all, then undocumented people here with no licensing for anything could carry guns all over themselves without any consequences at all

Burdens to vote? Have you seen what some fools call our president??? Not my president!

Booray bringing foolishness as always
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Iron Claw said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"


Not the same. You already have to provide ID and go through a background check to purchase the gun. That's more stringent than showing an ID to vote.

OK has constitutional carry already and I haven't noticed any difference in its prevalence. Was a big deal when it was being passed but haven't heard a word about it since.
Not the same is correct. The act of voting does not carry risk of death with it.

The point is we are adding burdens to something that should be encouraged-participation in democracy-while we are lessening burdens on something that should be discouraged-the use of force to make our point.

Having a gun in the house is one thing, having it in public is another. There are good reasons to conduct additional checks, require additional training and to know who should be able to carry in public. Just ask any police chief; they are overwhelmingly against this legislation.

Finally, my biggest problem with open carry is not that it will result in more deaths and injuries. Instead, I object to the idea that I am at a grocery store in the ten item or less line. The guy in front of me has decided he doesn't want to follow the rule-he has a full cart. I point it out to him and he points to his gun and says "what are you going to do about it?' The answer is nothing.

Guns change the power dynamic in any interaction. I should not be afraid of making my points in society because a bunch of yahoos are openly packing heat.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think that in these troubled times of uncertainty and unrest its very important to get as many people armed as possible. People that deny the results of the last election should be allowed to cut into the first of the line.
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Start here: Article 1, 23 of the Texas Constitution states: "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime."

Now go to HB 1927.

Somebody find me the section that makes it easier to obtain a gun.

This is about how you carry AFTER you obtain a handgun.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Carlos Cruz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quash said:

Start here: Article 1, 23 of the Texas Constitution states: "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime."

Now go to HB 1927.

Somebody find me the section that makes it easier to obtain a gun.

This is about how you carry AFTER you obtain a handgun.


Who cares about the facts!
Rawhide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

Friscobear said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
I have no problem with that. Last time I checked, you need a state issued ID to purchase a firearm. Same standard should apply to voting
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Friscobear said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
I have no problem with that. Last time I checked, you need a state issued ID to purchase a firearm. Same standard should apply to voting

And I have no problem with that. As long as we make those state issued IDs easy to obtain. Which we don't do.
J.B.Katz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Definitely shouldn't be harder to vote than to get and carry a gun.
Carlos Cruz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
J.B.Katz said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Definitely shouldn't be harder to vote than to get and carry a gun.
It is not. I was not able to take a course, test, or qualify by absentee.
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Friscobear said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
I have no problem with that. Last time I checked, you need a state issued ID to purchase a firearm. Same standard should apply to voting

And I have no problem with that. As long as we make those state issued IDs easy to obtain. Which we don't do.
Very easy to obtain, actually.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Rawhide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Friscobear said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
I have no problem with that. Last time I checked, you need a state issued ID to purchase a firearm. Same standard should apply to voting

And I have no problem with that. As long as we make those state issued IDs easy to obtain. Which we don't do.
What's so hard about it?
Rawhide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Friscobear said:

Booray said:

How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
I have no problem with that. Last time I checked, you need a state issued ID to purchase a firearm. Same standard should apply to voting

And I have no problem with that. As long as we make those state issued IDs easy to obtain. Which we don't do.
Very easy to obtain, actually.
No kidding. Here are the steps to procure a Texas State ID:

[ol]
  • Complete the identification card application
  • Make an appointment at a driver license office.
  • Provide the following documentation to the license and permit specialist:
    [ol]
  • Application
  • U.S. Citizenship or, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, evidence of lawful presence
  • Texas Residency
  • Identity, and
  • Social Security Number
  • [/ol]
  • Provide your thumbprints.
  • Have your picture taken.
  • Pay the application
  • [/ol]
    Booray thinks that's difficult?

    Maybe if people could just purchase an ID from amazon.com and have it delivered to them in 2 days, that would make him happy.
    Booray
    How long do you want to ignore this user?
    Rawhide said:

    Oldbear83 said:

    Booray said:

    Rawhide said:

    Booray said:

    Friscobear said:

    Booray said:

    How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
    Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

    If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


    The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
    I have no problem with that. Last time I checked, you need a state issued ID to purchase a firearm. Same standard should apply to voting

    And I have no problem with that. As long as we make those state issued IDs easy to obtain. Which we don't do.
    Very easy to obtain, actually.
    No kidding. Here are the steps to procure a Texas State ID:

    [ol]
  • Complete the identification card application
  • Make an appointment at a driver license office.
  • Provide the following documentation to the license and permit specialist:
    [ol]
  • Application
  • U.S. Citizenship or, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, evidence of lawful presence
  • Texas Residency
  • Identity, and
  • Social Security Number
  • [/ol]
  • Provide your thumbprints.
  • Have your picture taken.
  • Pay the application
  • [/ol]
    Booray thinks that's difficult?

    Maybe if people could just purchase an ID from amazon.com and have it delivered to them in 2 days, that would make him happy.



    My wife has an employee that needed to do this. First appointment at the driver's license office was 7 weeks in the future.

    Have you ever tried to conduct business in person at a Texas Driver's License office? They are incredibly inefficient, open limited hours and in West Texas can be an hour or more to get to.

    So on paper it looks simple. For many hourly workers without regular transportation it is a big obstacle.

    The GOP knows this and is using it to make it difficult to qualify to vote. It is a disgusting tactic.

    If you will open the offices on Saturday, one night a week and contract to have substations at the local Walmart in underserved counties, I have no problem with voter ID. But you won't because this has zero to do with vote fraud. It has everything to do with keeping turnout low at all costs.
    Rawhide
    How long do you want to ignore this user?
    Booray said:

    Rawhide said:

    Oldbear83 said:

    Booray said:

    Rawhide said:

    Booray said:

    Friscobear said:

    Booray said:

    How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
    Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

    If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


    The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
    I have no problem with that. Last time I checked, you need a state issued ID to purchase a firearm. Same standard should apply to voting

    And I have no problem with that. As long as we make those state issued IDs easy to obtain. Which we don't do.
    Very easy to obtain, actually.
    No kidding. Here are the steps to procure a Texas State ID:

    [ol]
  • Complete the identification card application
  • Make an appointment at a driver license office.
  • Provide the following documentation to the license and permit specialist:
    [ol]
  • Application
  • U.S. Citizenship or, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, evidence of lawful presence
  • Texas Residency
  • Identity, and
  • Social Security Number
  • [/ol]
  • Provide your thumbprints.
  • Have your picture taken.
  • Pay the application
  • [/ol]
    Booray thinks that's difficult?

    Maybe if people could just purchase an ID from amazon.com and have it delivered to them in 2 days, that would make him happy.



    My wife has an employee that needed to do this. First appointment at the driver's license office was 7 weeks in the future.

    Have you ever tried to conduct business in person at a Texas Driver's License office? They are incredibly inefficient, open limited hours and in West Texas can be an hour or more to get to.

    So on paper it looks simple. For many hourly workers without regular transportation it is a big obstacle.

    The GOP knows this and is using it to make it difficult to qualify to vote. It is a disgusting tactic.

    If you will open the offices on Saturday, one night a week and contract to have substations at the local Walmart in underserved counties, I have no problem with voter ID. But you won't because this has zero to do with vote fraud. It has everything to do with keeping turnout low at all costs.
    I have no problems with open Saturdays and extra locations. You libs want to stop the wall, open the border and allow illegal aliens to waltz right so they can vote for democrats candidates. It's all about getting more votes (even illegitimate) with no concern for the integrity of our elections.

    The dnc talking point of the GOP trying to keep black people from voting is pure hogwash and you know it.
    4th and Inches
    How long do you want to ignore this user?
    Booray said:

    Friscobear said:

    Booray said:

    How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
    Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

    If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


    The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
    the 2nd amendment gave us the right 200 plus years ago, we shouldnt need a state law to tell us we have a right we already had...

    All for making voting easy, get out the ID you already have and use every day and go vote!
    Rawhide
    How long do you want to ignore this user?
    4th and Inches said:

    Booray said:

    Friscobear said:

    Booray said:

    How do you square the idea that "getting a LTC is just too time consuming to bother with so lets not worry about it" with "if you want to vote you should make time to get the proper ID and get registered?"
    Those two things are not even close in difficulty.

    If something is important to you, you'll find the time to do it.


    The point of the legislation is to make it do one has to spend zero dollars and spend zero time to qualify to carry. Let's apply the same standard to voting.
    the 2nd amendment gave us the right 200 plus years ago, we shouldnt need a state law to tell us we have a right we already had...

    All for making voting easy, get out the ID you already have and use every day and go vote!
    Yep, they should break out their ID that needed in order to receive their (my) gov't cheese.
    Oldbear83
    How long do you want to ignore this user?
    "First appointment at the driver's license office was 7 weeks in the future."

    BS. The DPS is open today for walk-ins.

    Driving tests need to be scheduled, simple ID is walk-in if you want.

    That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
    Booray
    How long do you want to ignore this user?
    Oldbear83 said:

    "First appointment at the driver's license office was 7 weeks in the future."

    BS. The DPS is open today for walk-ins.

    Driving tests need to be scheduled, simple ID is walk-in if you want.


    The DPS website explains it.

    https://www.dps.texas.gov/news/dps-expanding-hours-select-driver-license-offices

    Summary:

    Only selected offices are open extended hours (either one weekday evening or on Saturday). Those openings are based on built up demand from the offices being closed during the pandemic and the hours are not permanent. And when they say "selected offices" they mean offices in urban centers. Large urban centers. The Waco office is Monday through Friday only, closes at 5:00. As are the vast majority of offices in Texas.

    Next, there is no walk-in. All services are by appointment only. It may be possible that you can walk-in and schedule an immediate appointment but that is complete luck of the draw. And as I said, in Waco the appointments are backed up for more than a month.

    You can believe what the DPS says about it own procedures or you can continue living in a fantasy world where climate change doesn't happen, cutting taxes decreases deficits, Trump got more votes than Biden and it takes 15 minutes to get an ID card. Don't really care which reality you choose.
    Oldbear83
    How long do you want to ignore this user?
    You're very bitter.

    Hope things get better for you.
    That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
     
    ×
    subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.