UFOs: REAL OR FAKE? What Say You?

4,433 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jupiter
Canon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. Are they real?
2. If they are real, are they a threat?
3. What do you hope your role will be after the global conquest?

'I can't imagine they're nice': Sci-fi creators weigh in on aliens, impending UFO report

The U.S. government is finally starting to publicly acknowledge UFOs. The creator of "The X-Files" has been waiting for this moment for decades.

"It's something I've been interested in for a long time, so to see it make the equivalent of front-page news is a delight," Chris Carter said in a phone conversation this week.

It's a potentially transformative moment for the American public as intelligence agencies prepare to deliver a report to Congress about what they call unidentified aerial phenomena. But it's an especially peculiar time for artists who have long shaped our collective understanding of mysterious flying objects.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-cant-imagine-theyre-nice-sci-fi-creators-weigh-in-on-aliens-impending-ufo-report/ar-AAKqRIB
PartyBear
I liiterally was just typing a thread on this while you posted this. Whatever it is in these recently declassified materials does not appear fake but what exactly it is or what is behind it is clearly a mystery.
bear2be2
I believe in them, in large part because I saw something driving through Central Texas late one night that I still can't explain. Fortunately, I had a co-worker with me or I would have probably rationalized it as my eyes playing tricks on me. But we were driving on a pitch black highway in rural Texas somewhere between Llano and Brady and saw four bright lights in a horizontal row off in the distance to the right. All at once, they shot straight upward in remarkable speed. It remains the strangest thing I've ever seen, and I'll probably die with no idea what it actually was.
Canon
PartyBear said:

I liiterally was just typing a thread on this while you posted this. Whatever it is in these recently declassified materials does not appear fake but what exactly it is or what is behind it is clearly a mystery.

But what do you hope your role will be after the global conquest?

I'm thinking, for me, one of the following:

A. Swift death
B. A stud in one of their selective breeding programs
C. A test subject for cybernetic limb replacement that includes wings

Also....no anal probes
cms186
Are UFOs real? sure, to the extent that theres been stuff flying around (usually at night) that people cant identify
I'm the English Guy
C. Jordan
Canon said:

1. Are they real?

'I can't imagine they're nice': Sci-fi creators weigh in on aliens, impending UFO report

The U.S. government is finally starting to publicly acknowledge UFOs. The creator of "The X-Files" has been waiting for this moment for decades.

"It's something I've been interested in for a long time, so to see it make the equivalent of front-page news is a delight," Chris Carter said in a phone conversation this week.

It's a potentially transformative moment for the American public as intelligence agencies prepare to deliver a report to Congress about what they call unidentified aerial phenomena. But it's an especially peculiar time for artists who have long shaped our collective understanding of mysterious flying objects.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-cant-imagine-theyre-nice-sci-fi-creators-weigh-in-on-aliens-impending-ufo-report/ar-AAKqRIB
I don't know, but I've been ready since I was a kid!

I've memorized this and encourage everyone else to do the same!

Whiskey Pete
I tend to think it's a real possibility. I can't imagine we're the only one in the whole universe. That said, I do think most sightings (if not all) are something else like top secret military aircraft being tested.

I tend to think we've haven't been visited by aliens, but think they're out there on another planet in another galaxy.

"The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space." ~ Carl Sagan
Canon
Rawhide said:

I tend to think it's a real possibility. I can't imagine we're the only one in the whole universe. That said, I do think most sightings (if not all) are something else like top secret military aircraft being tested.

I tend to think we've haven't been visited by aliens, but think they're out there on another planet in another galaxy.

"The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space." ~ Carl Sagan

I think that's right. God gives everything a telos. It's hard to imagine the universe's telos is just as scenery.
GrowlTowel
Rawhide said:

Pretty much my opinion as well. From a scientific point of view, the closest star to the Sun is 4.25 light-years away and traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops.
EatMoreSalmon
Rawhide said:

Man and his arrogance. The thinking that life that is not "intelligent" has no worth is a poor use of intelligence. Or thinking that if we or something like us is not out there, then the universe is worthless - also not a good use of intelligence.

The Heavens must both laugh and cry at our spoken "wisdom" at times.
BUBear24
Yes I think life outside our planet can and does exist. The mathematical probabilities vary so much but as others have said based on size it would insane if by some miracle we are the only one.

I personally don't think it would sway any of my Christian belief either if they landed tomorrow. I have always taken the word to be more a guide than literal. To be said to be made in his image does not necessarily mean I expect to find God to be a blue eyed, blonde person like myself, but the idea of a being given reign rein and thought by him. That life form would have been given the same creation.

I cannot remember the scientist but they said if there was life and they had already reached us, should be no reason to fear, because they're technology would be so far ahead of ours it would be more like a deer seeing a hunter with a rifle for first time. We'd have no idea what we'd be looking at.
CHP Bear
Real or fake? I'll ask Elvis next time I see him.
nevadafoothill
No doubt UFOs do exist. What are they? That's a question still unanswered.
TenBears
I find it fascinating but keep getting bogged down by the complete lack of any video other than back and white grainy blurs. If a flying saucer flew over Waco there would be a hundred iphone videos of significantly better quality, and were talking about the Navy? The recent disclosures are crazy, but I keep coming back to this.
PartyBear
There are some color photos that are fairly clear that have been recently declassified and disclosed. What is intriguing is that even in fairly clear photos, the craft do not make sense. In other words they look nothing like what humans have imagined advanced space craft to look like as we have seen dreamed up in Star Wars, Star Trek, Independence Day etc. which again can lead one to think these weren't dreamed up or designed by humans at least as we know them here. What they reportedly can do makes no sense by looking at what is in the photo.
Thee University
It's no wonder this bulletin board is full of horse apples!

You nuts that believe in UFOs need to check into the old State Lunatic Asylum in Austin, Terrell or San Antonio. Some should go straight to Rusk.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
TenBears
My grandma used to call it the Nervous Hospital.
Canada2017
Canon said:

1. Are they real?

1. Real ( watched one in north central New Mexico remain motionless in the afternoon sky for 10 minutes....then flash across the horizon in 2 seconds .

2. Threat ( either intentionally or unintentionally )

3. Breeding stud .
quash
I don't understand the question. If something is unidentified then the question of whether it is real or fake is premature.

Once identified it is real. That reality may be a faked flying saucer.

It sounds like what you're asking is "Have we been visited by aliens?"

Not yet.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Whiskey Pete
quash said:

I don't understand the question. If something is unidentified then the question of whether it is real or fake is premature.

Once identified it is real. That reality may be a faked flying saucer.

It sounds like what you're asking is "Have we been visited by aliens?"

Not yet.

And here's quash, with his infinite intelligence, here to explain to everyone the literal meaning of UFO. Glad you could clear up the difference between alien aircraft and UFO for all the rubes on this board.

If you want to know why I say you think you're the smartest one in the room everywhere you go, it's because of stupid replies like the one you just typed that contributes zero to the conversation.

You know damn good and well what the poster meant when he used the term UFO. You did in fact understand the question (unless you really are that stupid - which is a real possibility).

So tell us, are you too dense to know what the poster meant by UFO or did you think you were being "cute" when you decided to let everyone know the literal definition of UFO, you know... because you're such a genius.

Now, if you would be so kind to explain the difference between "about to" and "fixin' to" that would be great, thanks.
TexasScientist
Canon said:

1. Are they real?

1. Observations are real. They're not all the same for from same source cause - natural phenomena or man made.

2. It's unlikely they are of extraterrestrial origin. If they are extraterrestrial, it would be ominous for us if the responsible entities have a psychological make up that in anyway resembles Humans. If they are manmade, they are a threat.

3. If they are extraterrestrial, I doubt any role for anyone would be tolerable.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
BylrFan
Currently haven't seen one myself but not putting it out of the question. Government has a lot of info and evidence for UFO's
Oldbear83
One cranky old man's take:

1. "UFO" just means 'unidentified flying object'. So by definition UFO's exist, if only because we can't tell what we are seeing.

2. A lot of things look weird from unusual angles/perspectives. Temperature shifts and winds also affect the image of things. One reason we use radar in air traffic control is because visual accuracy is crap beyond a few hundred yards, so sure, a lot of things will look strange and be reported as such.

3. We are still learning about chemical and electrical reactions, and some things reported may well be unusual but perfectly natural phenomena.

4. Ever notice that no matter how high-resolution our cameras get, the photos of the really interesting objects are always fuzzy and indistinct?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Wrecks Quan Dough
The alien race looks like Jane Badler. Discuss.
PartyBear
Some of the recently declassified photos look rather clear however.
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

Some of the recently declassified photos look rather clear however.
Not really, zero detail. No identifiable engines, for one, nor identifiable flight surfaces.

I don't care how advanced the tech is supposed to be, there has to be visible detail for any flight vehicle, and there is just none.
PartyBear
The eyewitnesses say that is the odd deal about these things. No noticeable surface control mechanisms. I dont think one can argue any advance civilization out there can only have advanced technology as we humans on earth have dreamed up in our minds. If there are advanced civilizations out there well advanced of humans on earth, I think it somewhat ludicrous to think their technology can only be confined to cooler looking things such as seen in science fiction like star wars which are only cooler versions of our own technology we have now on earth because that is what humans here are limited to understanding right now.
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

The eyewitnesses say that is the odd deal about these things. No noticeable surface control mechanisms. I dont think one can argue any advance civilization out there can only have advanced technology as we humans on earth have dreamed up in our minds. If there are advanced civilizations out there well advanced of humans on earth, I think it somewhat ludicrous to think their technology can only be confined to cooler looking things such as seen in science fiction like star wars which are only cooler versions of our own technology we have now on earth because that is what humans here are limited to understanding right now.
Sorry, but Physics does not go away just because someone has a cool story.

Also, the idea that someone from a completely different world would never make mistakes in our environment is laughable.

Technology is just tools, it does not fundamentally change someone into a god.
PartyBear
Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

Also, the idea that someone from a completely different world would never make mistakes in our environment is laughable.

Physics doesnt go away. But I'm not going claim humans of earth understand and have mastery of all there is to know about physics and how those laws operate here and elsewhere in the Milkyway.
Doc Holliday
So are these aliens supposed to wear masks and get vaccinated before we make contact?
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

Physics doesnt go away. But I'm not going claim humans of earth understand and have mastery of all there is to know about physics and how those laws operate here and elsewhere in the Milkyway.
Oh please.

We will know and understand local physics better than someone popping in from another solar system.

Just turn it around and apply logic.
Beaneater
Per Richard Hanania of Columbia University, 3 possibilities:
1. Aliens visit and want to be discovered
2. Aliens visit and don't care if they are discovered or not, or
3. Aliens visit and don't want to be discovered

1--if advanced enough to visit, and want to be discovered, they would just say hello
2--commonly the UFO 'flies away' when seen so unlikely--if they truly didn't care, they would be clearly seen/recorded
3--if advanced enough to visit, and DON'T want to be discovered, they would not be

Thus, Hanania says, aliens have not visited/UFOs are not aliens.

Overall, that sound good to me. However, I see God as amazingly creative--the huge variety of plants, animals, landscapes, etc tell me this. So, it would not surprise me that he has life/"people" on other planets. I do not believe there is anything in the Bible that says this cannot be so (or must be so).

Jim Denison, who sends out a daily email article, takes the next step & opines:
If aliens exist, Jesus made them--the Bible says ALL things were made by God.
If aliens have free will, they need a Savior. Finite beings inevitably choose evil, so they need atonement from a sinless savior, namely Jesus.
The Bible is a practical book. It doesn't say what happened to dinosaurs, or the size of the universe, and many many other valid scientific questions. We don't need to know if aliens exist to believe in/have a personal relationship with God. No biblical text says "no other life" or "yes there is other life."

In the end, the fact is no one knows for sure either way. I "like" to think we are not alone. I HOPE it works out like Star Trek, and by the time the bad aliens discover us we actually have a way of defending ourselves. Except the Borg, of course: resistance is futile.

So to the OP's questions:
1. Are they real?

1. No one knows/but I think so
2. Some are not, some will be
3. I just want a quiet little piece of ground for moisture farming far away from the Hutts and the Sand People, big enough for a living but small enough the Empire never notices me.
PartyBear
I think there are more than 3 possibilities as laid out above. I dont know what would encompass an alien visit. If these objects that have been declassified are from another solar system/s, that does not mean a living being is on board.

Again as I said on another thread, if the inner belts of the galaxy are teeming with highly advance civilizations, and where our system is located it is like the boon docks of the galaxy. (our system is "literally" at the galaxy's edge), there may be no more interest in really making alot of trips out to this region anymore than humans here make a lot of trips to the artic regions of this planet. A few go exploring but there isnt a whole lot of traffic out there as there is traveling to say NY, or the Carribean etc.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Aliens are demonic forces. I am not surprised that we are seeing UFOs and aliens at this time.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

One cranky old man's take:

1. "UFO" just means 'unidentified flying object'. So by definition UFO's exist, if only because we can't tell what we are seeing.

2. A lot of things look weird from unusual angles/perspectives. Temperature shifts and winds also affect the image of things. One reason we use radar in air traffic control is because visual accuracy is crap beyond a few hundred yards, so sure, a lot of things will look strange and be reported as such.

3. We are still learning about chemical and electrical reactions, and some things reported may well be unusual but perfectly natural phenomena.

4. Ever notice that no matter how high-resolution our cameras get, the photos of the really interesting objects are always fuzzy and indistinct?
Looks like we share "infinite intelligence".

In the 1950s almost no one carried a camera around with them, you had to run inside, take it out of the leather case, and then run back outside and shoot.

Now we all carry around cameras that are far ahead of our Brownies, ready to shoot, and we still don't have visual confirmation of a flying saucer.

It is really hard to determine size, speed and even angle of flight. I once saw a piece of Russian space trash disintegrate over Dallas. I didn't know that. What I saw was something in flaming pieces just a few hundred feet over head, strung out over fifty feet or so. Heck, I could hear it, that's how close it was. Nope. It was several kilometers high, strung out about a mile, and, did not in fact land just outside of town. No part of it landed, it all burned up.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.