UFOs: REAL OR FAKE? What Say You?

4,455 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jupiter
Canon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

Credible witnesses can be wrong, and often are.

As to the rest, not buying it.

TexasScientist
PartyBear said:

TexasScientist said:

PartyBear said:

See the two of you are doing what I'm talking about above or maybe it was the other thread on this topic. You may be right that there is not another planet that humans, dogs, cats, whales, bears, trout, palm trees, pine trees etc are growing on, but life as we know it here probably is not the limit of the possibilities of life forms in the whole universe, let alone in this galaxy.
I didn't say there are no other life forms elsewhere in the universe. I believe there is a high probability of other life. How ubiquitous are advanced life forms is the question, which I think will be rare, when you consider the size and scale of the Universe, inherent risk of survival, and time required to evolve.
Again this is with a rather earth/human centric view of the types of environments life can exist in. I do not think it is necessarily true that life including advanced civilization can only exist on duplicates or extremely close to duplicates of earth. I also do not necessarily think it true that every species in the universe or even in the galaxy if others exist have to evolve on a timeline similar or the same to how it happened on earth.
My view is not earth centric. It is an objective view based upon what is overly apparent about the nature of the universe. It is universe centric. There very well may be life, elsewhere in our solar system. For instance Enceladus may harbor life in its oceans, but there is no evidence of an advanced form of life. That is not inconsistent with my view that the Universe is hostile to any form of life. It's hostile to life on this planet, and at some point in the future life on this planet will, at the very least, end due to cosmological events.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
PartyBear
Could our view of the universe not be rather earth/human centric? I would think by definition it only can be. If there are any advanced civilizations out there, they have not shared their discoveries and research with us for example. We have to be open to the possibility and frankly the probability that we don't know much about this galaxy let alone the infinite number of other ones. We don't even know much about any other solar system and our solar system is among an almost infinite number of them in our own galaxy.

It is somewhat circular to say, based on what we know now, we know about all there is to know about nature throughout the entire universe. And the conclusion that therefore we can rule out being open to any questions about what we know now isn't much different that conclusions brought on by the religions of humans.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

PartyBear said:

TexasScientist said:

PartyBear said:

See the two of you are doing what I'm talking about above or maybe it was the other thread on this topic. You may be right that there is not another planet that humans, dogs, cats, whales, bears, trout, palm trees, pine trees etc are growing on, but life as we know it here probably is not the limit of the possibilities of life forms in the whole universe, let alone in this galaxy.
I didn't say there are no other life forms elsewhere in the universe. I believe there is a high probability of other life. How ubiquitous are advanced life forms is the question, which I think will be rare, when you consider the size and scale of the Universe, inherent risk of survival, and time required to evolve.
Again this is with a rather earth/human centric view of the types of environments life can exist in. I do not think it is necessarily true that life including advanced civilization can only exist on duplicates or extremely close to duplicates of earth. I also do not necessarily think it true that every species in the universe or even in the galaxy if others exist have to evolve on a timeline similar or the same to how it happened on earth.
My view is not earth centric. It is an objective view based upon what is overly apparent about the nature of the universe. It is universe centric. There very well may be life, elsewhere in our solar system. For instance Enceladus may harbor life in its oceans, but there is no evidence of an advanced form of life. That is not inconsistent with my view that the Universe is hostile to any form of life. It's hostile to life on this planet, and at some point in the future life on this planet will, at the very least, end due to cosmological events.
Agreed. Also, what we know from Science tells us that complex life is always much more rare than simpler forms. Our "first contact" with legit alien life is likely to be spores on a moon or asteroid.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
quash
Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

Well.... at this time at least, there is no documented declassified evidence of ETs walking around on earth. Even so if there was, that would not be evidence that those ETs are the only forms of life that are well ahead of humans on earth in this galaxy or any other galaxy. Additionally if there were documented ETs from another region of the galaxy that have traveled to here, it means they have technology we are not far enough along to even begin to fathom including technology that allows them to walk around in an environment that is completely alien and harsh for them.

Second, you can't just say "technology" to wave away the laws of Physics which apply.

Scuba, airplanes, cellphones say Hi.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

Well.... at this time at least, there is no documented declassified evidence of ETs walking around on earth. Even so if there was, that would not be evidence that those ETs are the only forms of life that are well ahead of humans on earth in this galaxy or any other galaxy. Additionally if there were documented ETs from another region of the galaxy that have traveled to here, it means they have technology we are not far enough along to even begin to fathom including technology that allows them to walk around in an environment that is completely alien and harsh for them.

Second, you can't just say "technology" to wave away the laws of Physics which apply.

News flash, laws of Physics apply there. Sorry to break your bubble, unicorn.
PartyBear
If the eye witnesses of the airforce are correct, why do you think the laws of physics are not applicable to what they say they saw. Technology if it is not understood can appear to be defying the laws of nature to the observer who does not understand it.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

News flash, laws of Physics apply there. Sorry to break your bubble, unicorn.
Exactly.

And when aliens come here they will be technologically prepared for what you have chosen to call "local physics".
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

If the eye witnesses of the airforce are correct, why do you think the laws of physics are not applicable to what they say they saw. Technology if it is not understood can appear to be defying the laws of nature to the observer who does not understand it.
That is a fallacy, since we do at least understand the rudimentary principles of Physics.
quash
PartyBear said:

The last of Clarke's Three Laws.
PartyBear
Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

That is a fallacy, since we do at least understand the rudimentary principles of Physics.
Well.....ok I can agree we know that. That is not inconsistent with what I said. I suspect that rudimentary levels are not the highest levels there is to know.
Oldbear83
quash said:

PartyBear said:

The last of Clarke's Three Laws.
Pretty sure fiction is not peer-reviewed, so ...
TexasScientist
PartyBear said:

Oldbear83 said:

PartyBear said:

Well.....ok I can agree we know that. That is not inconsistent with what I said. I suspect that rudimentary levels are not the highest levels there is to know.
There is a lot we don't know about physics, especially at the quantum level where things do not comport with logic or common sense, i.e. 'spooky action at a distance."
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
PartyBear
We have never seen it occur other than light itself but what might it look like to the human eye to see something jump to light speed or some speed in that range? Again things we don't understand appear to be spooky just like solar eclipses once were up until when 800 years ago or so? That is my point is that we may not know as much as we think we know. Hell more humans have been to the moon than depths of the ocean beyond a mile down. Probes sent to the deepest depths have found life on earth that has challenged the life as we know it notion over the past 20 years.
Oldbear83
PartyBear said:

We have never seen it occur other than light itself but what might it look like to the human eye to see something jump to light speed or some speed in that range? Again things we don't understand appear to be spooky just like solar eclipses once were up until when 800 years ago or so? That is my point is that we may not know as much as we think we know. Hell more humans have been to the moon than depths of the ocean beyond a mile down. Probes sent to the deepest depths have found life on earth that has challenged the life as we know it notion over the past 20 years.
Good post.
TexasScientist
PartyBear said:

We know that certain microbe extremophiles can travel through space and survive, which raises the possibility that life originated elsewhere and was seeded here by meteorites, asteroids or even comets.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

PartyBear said:

We know that certain microbe extremophiles can travel through space and survive, which raises the possibility that life originated elsewhere and was seeded here by meteorites, asteroids or even comets.
My understanding is that meteorites, asteroids and comets are contained within their sun's gravitational pull, so any such seeding would still be intrasolar in range.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

PartyBear said:

My understanding is that meteorites, asteroids and comets are contained within their sun's gravitational pull, so any such seeding would still be intrasolar in range.
Most objects coming our way originate from from the Kuiper belt, but there are interstellar objects traveling through space.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

PartyBear said:

Most objects coming our way originate from from the Kuiper belt, but there are interstellar objects traveling through space.
Do the math, keeping mind how many forces would sterilize anything that passes through.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

PartyBear said:

Do the math, keeping mind how many forces would sterilize anything that passes through.
Radiation is fierce. It will be unlikely that humans can travel in space much beyond Mars, There'll be a fair amount of astronaut attrition.
jupiter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.