Michael Flynn says what happened in coup-stricken Myanmar 'should happen' in US

5,378 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bear2be2
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trump ally Michael Flynn says what happened in coup-stricken Myanmar 'should happen' in U.S. at Dallas conference
The Southeast Asian nation's military has violently cracked down on protests.
A former national security adviser for Donald Trump told attendees at a weekend conference in Dallas linked to the baseless QAnon conspiracy that what happened in Myanmar where the military overthrew the government "should happen" in the United States.
Michael Flynn, a retired Army lieutenant general, was among the keynote speakers at the For God & Country Patriot Roundup, which took place Friday to Monday at the city-owned Omni Dallas Hotel and Eddie Deen's Ranch. The event featured other speakers associated with the QAnon theory that helped drive failed efforts to overturn the results of last year's presidential election.
Flynn, who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his role in the Russia scandal but was later pardoned by Trump, has maintained that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump. President Joe Biden won 306 electoral votes to Trump's 232, and repeated Republican-led efforts to prove widespread voter fraud have turned up empty.
During a question-and-answer session that CNN reported took place Sunday, an audience member asked Flynn, while mispronouncing the Southeast Asian nation's name: "I want to know why what happened in Myanmar can't happen here?"
"No reason," Flynn responded as the crowd cheered. "I mean, it should happen here."

Myanmar's military overthrew the country's democratically elected government in a Feb. 1 coup and has cracked down on dissent in the months since then, killing protesters and imprisoning journalists.
Supporters of the QAnon conspiracy have urged a similar government overthrow by the American military.
U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Republican and until recently one of the party's highest-ranking members, posted a link on Twitter to an article about Flynn's remarks Monday, writing, "No American should advocate or support the violent overthrow of the United States."
Flynn was Trump's first national security adviser, serving less than a month before Trump fired him after reports that he had misled the White House about his communications with Russia's ambassador to the United States.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021/05/31/trump-ally-michael-flynn-says-what-happened-in-coup-stricken-myanmar-should-happen-in-us-at-dallas-conference/
J.B.Katz
This was all over twitter.

Flynn's comments were in response to some doofus who asked about a coup like the one in Minamar. God help us if these people control the govt
ATL Bear
What an idiot, and who are these idiots cheering that?
Porteroso
Typical GOP rhetoric these days. Just burn the Constitution.
Osodecentx
Porteroso said:

Not true
C. Jordan
Osodecentx said:

Trump ally Michael Flynn says what happened in coup-stricken Myanmar 'should happen' in U.S. at Dallas conference
The Southeast Asian nation's military has violently cracked down on protests.
A former national security adviser for Donald Trump told attendees at a weekend conference in Dallas linked to the baseless QAnon conspiracy that what happened in Myanmar where the military overthrew the government "should happen" in the United States.
Michael Flynn, a retired Army lieutenant general, was among the keynote speakers at the For God & Country Patriot Roundup, which took place Friday to Monday at the city-owned Omni Dallas Hotel and Eddie Deen's Ranch. The event featured other speakers associated with the QAnon theory that helped drive failed efforts to overturn the results of last year's presidential election.
Flynn, who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his role in the Russia scandal but was later pardoned by Trump, has maintained that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump. President Joe Biden won 306 electoral votes to Trump's 232, and repeated Republican-led efforts to prove widespread voter fraud have turned up empty.
During a question-and-answer session that CNN reported took place Sunday, an audience member asked Flynn, while mispronouncing the Southeast Asian nation's name: "I want to know why what happened in Myanmar can't happen here?"
"No reason," Flynn responded as the crowd cheered. "I mean, it should happen here."

Myanmar's military overthrew the country's democratically elected government in a Feb. 1 coup and has cracked down on dissent in the months since then, killing protesters and imprisoning journalists.
Supporters of the QAnon conspiracy have urged a similar government overthrow by the American military.
U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Republican and until recently one of the party's highest-ranking members, posted a link on Twitter to an article about Flynn's remarks Monday, writing, "No American should advocate or support the violent overthrow of the United States."
Flynn was Trump's first national security adviser, serving less than a month before Trump fired him after reports that he had misled the White House about his communications with Russia's ambassador to the United States.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021/05/31/trump-ally-michael-flynn-says-what-happened-in-coup-stricken-myanmar-should-happen-in-us-at-dallas-conference/

Don't know what has happened to Flynn. He had a distinguished military career, but once he got in league with Trump, he lost his mind.

Sickening that this was a "God and Country" thing and that supposedly godly people cheered this.

We'll see if Trump condemns him.

Not holding my breath!
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

The same idiots he encouraged to precipitate a coup on 1/6. Are you starting to see now?
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

The same idiots he encouraged to precipitate a coup on 1/6. Are you starting to see now?
That there is a minority of fringe nuts in the Republican Party? Is that some sort of newsflash? Each side has their crazies.

Still doesn't justify a vote that supported Biden.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

That there is a minority of fringe nuts in the Republican Party? Is that some sort of newsflash? Each side has their crazies.

Flynn is not a fringe figure in the Republican Party. He served in Trump's administration and received a pardon from him. I didn't vote for Biden, but I won't support a dictatorship either. I'm sorry if that offends you.
Porteroso
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Flynn is not a fringe figure in the Republican Party. He served in Trump's administration and received a pardon from him. I didn't vote for Biden, but I won't support a dictatorship either. I'm sorry if that offends you.

These guys don't call it a dictatorship, they think if it more like realigning the vote with Christian ideals, you know, the very things Trump is famous for, those ideals of his... And when you say that the leftists are evil enough to start believing it, you are well down the path of religious zealotry.

I keep calling these guys radical conservatives not as a joke, but as the reality of what's happening.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Flynn has been called a hero on this board.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Flynn is indeed a fringe figure in the Republican Party. He served as National Security Advisor for a grand total of 3 weeks prior to getting fired and being completely discredited. Only a fool would suggest that Flynn getting paid a pretty penny to speak at a QAnon rally at Eddie Deen Ranch - a tiny Dallas venue - means anything of substance with respect to the Republican Party in general. I'm surprised you were suckered in by this story.

Voting for a presidential candidate is not supporting a dictatorship. And I am not angry that you would cut off your nose to spite your face. You've proven time and time again on this board to hold foolish positions. Quite frankly, I've come to expect it.

Baylor3216
Flynn is a lifelong Democrat
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Flynn is indeed a fringe figure in the Republican Party. He served as National Security Advisor for a grand total of 3 weeks prior to getting fired and being completely discredited. Only a fool would suggest that Flynn getting paid a pretty penny to speak at a QAnon rally at Eddie Deen Ranch - a tiny Dallas venue - means anything of substance with respect to the Republican Party in general. I'm surprised you were suckered in by this story.

Voting for a presidential candidate is not supporting a dictatorship. And I am not angry that you would cut off your nose to spite your face. You've proven time and time again on this board to hold foolish positions. Quite frankly, I've come to expect it.

Denialism knows no party.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Nor does being eaten up with the dumb @ss, apparently.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

You're not usually so sensitive. I think you may be worried about what you've been supporting.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

You're not usually so sensitive. I think you may be worried about what you've been supporting.
And you typically seem brighter than your recent posts suggest.

The only thing I have supported are policies that are better for the American people. You might want to try it sometime.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

The only thing I have supported are policies that are better for the American people. You might want to try it sometime.
I support those policies, as you well know. The difference is I support them without wanting to turn us into Myanmar. Try that some time.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

I support those policies, as you well know. The difference is I support them without wanting to turn us into Myanmar. Try that some time.
You say you do, but when the rubber meets the road, not so much.

And really, repeating the stupid dictatorship rhetoric again? Maybe I've given you too much credit.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

And really, repeating the stupid dictatorship rhetoric again? Maybe I've given you too much credit.
Sure, we're not talking about dictatorship. We're just talking about declaring martial law and having the military overturn an election. Not a dictatorship at all.

Trump's guy is talking about dictatorship.

Too many Republicans are excusing if not outright embracing it. This is your party. Own it.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

No.
Canon
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Was he? Did those people say that before or after this incident?
J.B.Katz
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

You're giving him too much credit
Whiskey Pete
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

and biden has been called a moderate on this board, so there's that.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

!. Flynn is a Republican
2. He served as NS advisor to a Republican president
3. He advocated the violent overthrow of the US government

I'm looking for stories about Republicans denouncing Flynn's recommendation
I'm sure there are some stories out there
Osodecentx
In another viral moment from the conference, lawyer Sidney Powell again repeated false claims that Trump had won the 2020 election and could still be "reinstated" as president.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/01/louie-gohmert-qanon-texas-insurrection/
4th and Inches
Porteroso said:

too late, Dems beat them to it...
4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

!. Flynn is a Republican

1- so what?
2- served = past tense
3- a private citizen with no power except freedom of speech said stuff you and I dont agree with

FWIW, The Declaration of Independence says that we not only have the right but we also have the duty to alter or abolish any government that does not secure our unalienable rights, including life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Maybe our current govt fits this in his mind...

Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

!. Flynn is a Republican

1- so what?
2- served = past tense
3- a private citizen with no power except freedom of speech said stuff you and I dont agree with

FWIW, The Declaration of Independence says that we not only have the right but we also have the duty to alter or abolish any government that does not secure our unalienable rights, including life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Violently alter or abolish? Please clarify. It appears you and Flynn are advocating the same thing
HuMcK
"Dont know what has happened to Flynn..."

4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

!. Flynn is a Republican

1- so what?
2- served = past tense

Violently alter or abolish? Please clarify. It appears you and Flynn are advocating the same thing
lol, if that is what you got... slow down and read #3 again

I advocate he had the right to say it, even gave why he might think that way but didnt agree or advocate his position...
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

!. Flynn is a Republican

1- so what?
2- served = past tense

lol, if that is what you got...
I quoted you. You suggest it is our duty to alter or abolish.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sure, we're not talking about dictatorship. We're just talking about declaring martial law and having the military overturn an election. Not a dictatorship at all.

Trump's guy is talking about dictatorship.

Too many Republicans are excusing if not outright embracing it. This is your party. Own it.
Actually, the only person talking about that is Flynn, allegedly, to a small group of QAnon supporters in Dallas (i.e. fringe nuts). And of course, he's come out and said his statement was taken out of context and that's not what he meant.

But once again, we circle back around to my original point regarding the absurdity of your position - the idea that a discredited, fringe Trump supporter (and lifelong Dem) was paid to speak before a small group of fringe nuts in Dallas has any larger implications for the Republican Party. What is it you want conservatives to "own" exactly? Do you believe the vast majority of Republicans support a coup? Is that really your position? If not, then there's no reason for the Republican Party to "own" anything.

It's humorous you think you've made a point.
Osodecentx
This is from Allen West, State Republican chairman:
West said in a Newsmax interview on Tuesday he rejected Flynn's suggestion.
"I do not support any type of military coup in the United States of America because we have a representative democracy, we have a constitutional republic, and we just need to abide by the Constitution in all that we say and do," West said to Newsmax.
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/01/texas-allen-west-sid-miller-louie-gohmert-qanon/
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

!. Flynn is a Republican

Actually he is a lifelong Dem, and when asked, doesn't claim to belong to a party. Look up some of his quotes on the subject.

As for no. 2, he was fired after 3 weeks on the job.

As for no. 3, that is what has been reported, but he said he never advocated for that position. Let me ask you a question: Do you think it's possible that the media might have twisted Flynn's words to mean something he did not?

As for your last point, tell me, what good does it serve to denounce the painfully obvious? Should Republicans give credence to a fringe, discredited figure based on comments at a tiny rally in Dallas? Flynn has never been elected to any position. He has no power.

It serves no good purpose whatsoever to denounce Flynn other than to give the Dems another talking point.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.