White Privilege

17,422 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by whiterock
Thee University
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
bear2be2
Not all indignities are universal. And those experienced by white people in this country have very rarely been related to their race or ethnicity -- a reality most racial and ethnic minorities haven't had the privilege of sharing throughout our relatively short history.

That acknowledgement is all white privilege really is. It's not the suggestion that white people are above struggle or difficulty.
Osodecentx
Like the Irish, Italians, Polish, Jewish, Catholics, etc
GrowlTowel
bear2be2 said:

Not all indignities are universal. And those experienced by white people in this country have very rarely been related to their race or ethnicity -- a reality most racial and ethnic minorities haven't had the privilege of sharing throughout our relatively short history.

That acknowledgement is all white privilege really is. It's not the suggestion that white people are above struggle or difficulty.
And it is all bull***** You know it and Yellow Dog knows it.

Tell it to the frontiersmen slaughtered by the Redskins.
bear2be2
Osodecentx said:

Notice I said rarely. And all your post proves is that the majority in this country has been ****ty to every immigrant group -- as well as the natives. But those with extra melanin in their skin have consistently gotten it the worst and for the longest duration throughout our history.
bear2be2
GrowlTowel said:

bear2be2 said:

You mean the natives didn't take kindly to colonizers? Who would have thought?

But I'm not surprised in the least by your twisted, Rick Santorum view of this nation's history. It's on brand for your ridiculous persona on this board.
cms186
GrowlTowel said:

bear2be2 said:

You expected the Native Americans to roll over and roll out the red carpet for the frontiersmen and their kin slaughtered all the Natives on the east coast? the Frontiersmen invaded their country, what else were they going to do?
I'm the English Guy
Shippou
cms186 said:

GrowlTowel said:

bear2be2 said:

You expected the Native Americans to roll over and roll out the red carpet for the frontiersmen and their kin slaughtered all the Natives on the east coast? the Frontiersmen invaded their country, what else were they going to do?

Don't you know? You're suppose to lick the colonizer's boot and say thank you.
Thee University
bear2be2 said:

I think you left out a key part concerning BLAME. The blame has been placed squarely on whitey's shoulders although with each passing day more and more are waking up to realize they are not racist and this entire sham over the past several years is only serving to divide us further.

I feel bad for only 1, single group........the American Indian. If anybody is due reparations in my opinion it is only the American Indian who should be compensated. They are the only group who is worse off today than they were when Europeans stepped foot on these shores. ALL other ethnic groups are much better off. ALL of them!
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

That acknowledgement is all white privilege really is.
White privilege means ill-gotten gains. The step after acknowledgement is to remove those gains: the goal is a society without white privilege.

Several historically marginalized groups out-perform whites today and yet we still tell whites to feel bad about anything they achieve.
BearFan33
I often ask myself why won't liberals let us become a color blind society.

IMO things like "critical race theory" and "white privilege" are taking us in the wrong direction.
Thee University
BearFan33 said:

IMO things like "critical race theory" and "white privilege" are taking us in the wrong direction.
Without manufacturing race and privilege they got nothing. They need these to survive.

Hillary Clinton said something similar early in the pandemic: " This would be a terrible crisis to waste, as the old saying goes. We've learned a lot about what our absolute frailties are in our country when it comes to health justice and economic justice ."

The "old saying" she cited was actually a recycled quote from Rahm Emanuel, who was Obama's chief of staff. His exact quote was: "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste."

ATL Bear
Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

I think you left out a key part concerning BLAME. The blame has been placed squarely on whitey's shoulders although with each passing day more and more are waking up to realize they are not racist and this entire sham over the past several years is only serving to divide us further.

I feel bad for only 1, single group........the American Indian. If anybody is due reparations in my opinion it is only the American Indian who should be compensated. They are the only group who is worse off today than they were when Europeans stepped foot on these shores. ALL other ethnic groups are much better off. ALL of them!
Technically, many American Indians are living in, on, and with the "reparations" of not wanting to assimilate.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

White privilege means ill-gotten gains. The step after acknowledgement is to remove those gains: the goal is a society without white privilege.

Several historically marginalized groups out-perform whites today and yet we still tell whites to feel bad about anything they achieve.
That is not what privilege means. It manifests not so much in what we have been given but in what we don't have to put up with, which makes it hard to see and hard to do anything about. Mainly just shut up about it and treat people fairly.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Whiskey Pete
BearFan33 said:

The worst thing for liberals is that we become a color blind society - and they know it.
GrowlTowel
cms186 said:

GrowlTowel said:

bear2be2 said:

Your people did.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

That is not what privilege means. It manifests not so much in what we have been given but in what we don't have to put up with, which makes it hard to see and hard to do anything about. Mainly just shut up about it and treat people fairly.
Millions of people believe it as I've explained it.

You guys touting the concept of white privilege have completely failed to convey what you mean and it's taking a sinister turn towards hatred.

Also, awareness doesn't change a damn thing. See opioid abuse.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

You guys touting the concept of white privilege have completely failed to convey what you mean and it's taking a sinister turn towards hatred.

"You guys" ****ing it up aren't helping.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Name one thing I don't have to put up with that other races do today.
El Oso
I don't think it's possible to convince someone of white privilege. It's a condition they can only come to see on their own.

There were several moments in my life that led to me realizing white privilege is a thing a few years ago.

It doesn't mean I didn't work hard for what I have, it simply means I've had a few advantages along the way simply because of the color of my skin.

Again, it takes absolutely nothing away from what I've accomplished with my life.
Shippou
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Have you ever been followed in a store? And I don't mean the worker coming up and just asking if you need help with anything, I mean being followed from entrance to exit regardless of whether you purchase anything or not.
Booray
El Oso said:

I don't think it's possible to convince someone of white privilege. It's a condition they can only come to see on their own.

There were several moments in my life that led to me realizing white privilege is a thing a few years ago.

It doesn't mean I didn't work hard for what I have, it simply means I've had a few advantages along the way simply because of the color of my skin.

Again, it takes absolutely nothing away from what I've accomplished with my life.

Great post
Doc Holliday
Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Have you ever been followed in a store? And I don't mean the worker coming up and just asking if you need help with anything, I mean being followed from entrance to exit regardless of whether you purchase anything or not.
No. Who is doing the following and what should be done about it?

I've been told awareness is a solution. I don't buy it. What are the real solutions to prevent this?

If I was an impressionable person, based on your assertion, I would assume there's something inherently evil and wrong with white people that they can't fix and the only solution is to use force so this doesn't happen.
Doc Holliday
El Oso said:

Then you should feel guilty for upholding oppression by taking those advantages and suffer the consequences of your sins against people of color.
Shippou
Doc Holliday said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

I've been told awareness is a solution. I don't buy it. What are the real solutions to prevent this?

If I was an impressionable person, based on your assertion, I would assume there's something inherently evil and wrong with white people that they can't fix and the only solution is to attempt to oppress them.

I'm not implying that your impressionable my friend. I'm just telling you something that happens on a daily basis to many people of color but especially to black people when we go into a store. They think you're going to shoplift, they follow you throughout the store to ensure you don't. I've literally been followed throughout different stores just because I'm black and have tattoos. I fit a profile. This is profiling.

And solutions to prevent people from being followed? Just don't follow them, it's that simple. Not everyone who walks into a store to look at something or to purchase an item is looking to strip the store clean on their way in/out.

And white people aren't "inherently evil". I dunno why you tried to shoehorn that in there, and nobody's looking to oppress you. But when people point out systematically racist things and policies it's not an attack on you, relax.

It's safe to say, at least from what you mentioned regarding never being followed in a store that you're unaware of a lot of things that happen and can happen just because of the color of your skin.

That's white privilege, things that happen to others don't happen to you, things you take for granted as normal aren't normal for others.
bear2be2
ATL Bear said:

Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

Technically, many American Indians are living in, on, and with the "reparations" of not wanting to assimilate.

This is a really ****ed up worldview. The natives' culture predated the colonizers' in these lands by a long shot. This is just might makes right bull***** And expecting a group of people you tried to exterminate to assimilate to your culture is absurd.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bear2be2 said:

ATL Bear said:

Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

This is a really ****ed up worldview. The natives' culture predated the colonizers' in these lands by a long shot. If anyone didn't assimilate, it was the Europeans.
LOL! Jeffrey Dahmer was working on it, but someone cut his project short.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

If I was an impressionable person, based on your assertion, I would assume there's something inherently evil and wrong with white people that they can't fix and the only solution is to use force so this doesn't happen.

Awareness campaigns don't work for things people already know and readily acknowledge exist, such as cancer and drug addiction. But it's an important step for things a large percentage of the population tries to ignore or deny, such as mental illness or inherent bias.

We can't solve problems that half the country wants to pretend don't exist. And once individuals accept certain realities, it changes their behavior. And if this happens enough, you get progress. This is already happening generationally. It's why boomers are so scared of the world they no longer recognize.
Doc Holliday
Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

If I was an impressionable person, based on your assertion, I would assume there's something inherently evil and wrong with white people that they can't fix and the only solution is to attempt to oppress them.

I'm not implying that your impressionable my friend. I'm just telling you something that happens on a daily basis to many people of color but especially to black people when we go into a store. They think you're going to shoplift, they follow you throughout the store to ensure you don't. I've literally been followed throughout different stores just because I'm black and have tattoos. I fit a profile. This is profiling.

And solutions to prevent people from being followed? Just don't follow them, it's that simple. Not everyone who walks into a store to look at something or to purchase an item is looking to strip the store clean on their way in/out.

And white people aren't "inherently evil". I dunno why you tried to shoehorn that in there, and nobody's looking to oppress you. But when people point out systematically racist things and policies it's not an attack on you, relax.

It's safe to say, at least from what you mentioned regarding never being followed in a store that you're unaware of a lot of things that happen and can happen just because of the color of your skin.

That's white privilege, things that happen to others don't happen to you, things you take for granted as normal aren't normal for others.
That's called racism.

White privilege means it applies to all whites. I used to work retail and never did this and never would. Can you see the problem? Connecting white privilege to racism is connecting all whites to racism since we all have white privilege.
Shippou
Doc Holliday said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

That's called racism.

White privilege means it applies to all whites. I used to work retail and never did this and never would. Can you see the problem?

That some people are either consciously or subconsciously racist? I use to work retail too, never followed people, but saw plenty of my coworkers do it and even had the managers ask us to follow people because they "looked like they were up to something." 9/10 of the time those people they asked them to follow were black or Hispanic.
Doc Holliday
Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

That's called racism.

White privilege means it applies to all whites. I used to work retail and never did this and never would. Can you see the problem?

That some people are either consciously or subconsciously racist? I use to work retail too, never followed people, but saw plenty of my coworkers do it and even had the managers ask us to follow people because they "looked like they were up to something." 9/10 of the time those people they asked them to follow were black or Hispanic.
That means your managers are racist and that's their individual issue alone. Not mine. I don't like being told that this applies to me or that I need to be aware of it because I share the same skin color.

We can solve this by judging each person as an individual, but when you assign collective guilt, you're being racist.

When you say minorities are victims to this more often which you have absolutely no data for, you're making the case that whites are likely to engage in racist behavior which becomes a stereotype in itself.

Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Shippou said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Awareness campaigns don't work for things people already know and readily acknowledge exists, such as cancer and drug addiction. But it's an important step for things a large percentage of the population tries to ignore or deny, such as mental illness or inherent bias.

We can't solve problems that half the country wants to pretend don't exist. And once individuals accept certain realities, it changes their behavior. And if this happens enough, you get progress. This is already happening generationally. It's why boomers are so scared of the world they no longer recognize.
Thats not what's happening.

Employment is starting to be based on race. My brother in law got turned down after several interviews and they told him it's because he was white and didn't fit the equity plan they have.

College admissions are now based on race.

Critical race theory is taking off.

This is how the problem is being solved.
Osodecentx
bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

Notice I said rarely. And all your post proves is that the majority in this country has been ****ty to every immigrant group -- as well as the natives. But those with extra melanin in their skin have consistently gotten it the worst and for the longest duration throughout our history.
None of the groups i named want reparations from folks who didn't wrong them.
C. Jordan
bear2be2 said:

This.

It just means at whatever level white people start, black people start several levels lower.
C. Jordan
Osodecentx said:

Probably should clarify to white Christian Protestant privilege.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.