Pets and the Afterlife

1,213 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I gave this answer in 2018 to a Quora question about whether we will be with our pets again after we die:

I believe our animal companions are family. Not the same as our spouses or children, but family we have chosen, and who chose us. This is especially true for dogs, who give their human companions great honor in choosing to join their pack.

Speaking for myself, I believe we are more than our biological forms, and after we die we take on our better, permanent form, and are joined by those we called family and friends. I believe those of us fortunate enough to have had canine companions will be reunited with our dogs. We will run and play together, we will discover new places and new experiences together. What form the new world will take, or what our bodies will be like, are to me minor details. What matters is we will be with our loved ones again

Please let me know your thoughts on this question.

Thanks
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
ABC BEAR
It's a nice thought and who wouldn't be in favor of being with our best buddies again but, I wouldn't bet the proverbial farm on that happening.
midgett
Hope this is true as the 4 dogs we've had have been completely family. We are empty nesters now and there is no doubt our current dog is like our son. His love for us is unmatched too.

If there is any Biblical evidence for this, I'd love to see it.
quash

Just as likely as humans.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Robert Wilson
quash said:

Just as likely as humans.

More likely than some humans. Pets can't choose to separate themselves from God.
BERFAN
Although it does not specifically say dogs or pets, Isaiah 11:6-9 does mention animals living in peace in heaven. I like to think of that as all the animals will be there in peace.
Johnny Bear
I've always felt that aside from God's love, there is no purer form of unconditional love in this world than the love of a pet (especially a dog) for its owner(s). While the Bible is silent on the subject, I feel that somehow that kind of love will be rewarded in Heaven.
Bexar Pitts
Johnny Bear said:

I've always felt that aside from God's love, there is no purer form of unconditional love in this world than the love of a pet (especially a dog) for its owner(s). While the Bible is silent on the subject, I feel that somehow that kind of love will be rewarded in Heaven.
What a great post! Thank you.
Shippou
The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm
Thee University
All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989) - IMDb

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Bexar Pitts
Loved this since I was a kid.............
BusyTarpDuster2017
I believe with all my heart that our beloved pets are or will be in heaven with us.
For this reason - if we, sinners, had so much love for our pets, then how MUCH MORE does Jesus! We can not love more than God. If we, sinners, would not hesitate for a second to raise our pets to be with us in heaven, how much more would Jesus, who loves them more than we do!

Think of the vast number of people who, when they go meet Jesus in heaven, are going to ask him for their beloved pets. Is there any doubt Jesus already knows this? I am quite certain that Jesus has an answer prepared, and whatever he has planned, I have no doubt it is going to be wonderful and give those of us who belong to him complete joy.
BellCountyBear
I believe the new earth will be the Garden of Eden restored. Everything and every being will be in perfect harmony as we will be with God. I don't know, but I hope we will know our pets and will be able to communicate with them in a way we never could on this earth.
Canada2017
BellCountyBear said:

I believe the new earth will be the Garden of Eden restored. Everything and every being will be in perfect harmony as we will be with God. I don't know, but I hope we will know our pets and will be able to communicate with them in a way we never could on this earth.
Nice thought.
br53
BERFAN said:

Although it does not specifically say dogs or pets, Isaiah 11:6-9 does mention animals living in peace in heaven. I like to think of that as all the animals will be there in peace.
So we cant hunt and fish in heaven?
Stranger
we come into this world naked and bare
we travel this world with trouble and care
we leave this world to we know not where
but if you're a thoroughbred here
you'll be a thoroughbred there
I'm a Bearbacker
C. Jordan
Oldbear83 said:

I gave this answer in 2018 to a Quora question about whether we will be with our pets again after we die:

I believe our animal companions are family. Not the same as our spouses or children, but family we have chosen, and who chose us. This is especially true for dogs, who give their human companions great honor in choosing to join their pack.

Speaking for myself, I believe we are more than our biological forms, and after we die we take on our better, permanent form, and are joined by those we called family and friends. I believe those of us fortunate enough to have had canine companions will be reunited with our dogs. We will run and play together, we will discover new places and new experiences together. What form the new world will take, or what our bodies will be like, are to me minor details. What matters is we will be with our loved ones again

Thanks
I think if I see one more post on Facebook about somebody's pet "walking the rainbow bridge," I'm going to puke!
Oldbear83
C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Thanks
I think if I see one more post on Facebook about somebody's pet "walking the rainbow bridge," I'm going to puke!
So at least we know now who, among our members, is the most likely to drive over someone's puppy on purpose.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.