North Carolina County GOP Not Good At Irony

2,578 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
While railing against "cancel culture" local GOP votes to remove all Coca Cola machines from county offices because of Coke's political views.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-carolina-county-bans-coca-115733880.html
bularry
I don't know why, but I find this exceedingly funny on many fronts
PartyBear
It sounds like a satirical piece.
whitetrash
Pepsico is incorporated in North Carolina, so this is plausible.

BTW, Coke fired Bradley Guyton, the overtly racist GC brought over from Ford who set the policy requiring Coke's outside counsel to assign a large percentage of legal work to black attorneys.
Forest Bueller_bf

Quote:

"Voting is a foundational right in America, and we have long championed efforts to make it easier to vote," Quincey wrote in a statement published on Coca-Cola's website on April 1. "We want to be crystal clear and state unambiguously that we are disappointed in the outcome of the Georgia voting legislation. Throughout Georgia's legislative session we provided feedback to members of both legislative chambers and political parties, opposing measures in the bills that would diminish or deter access to voting."
I didn't realize Coca Cola was making recommendations to Lawmakers during their sessions. That seems kinda odd.

Guess I've kinda not been paying attention, but business doesn't need to be in the "business" of influencing or controlling legislation.

The separation of church and state is a great idea, the separation of business and state with the incredibly large potential of corruption, may not be a terrible idea. Coke should be concerning itself with legislation affecting their business practices, not voting laws, gun laws, and other laws they happen to disagree with. We don't want churches influencing elections, I don't want potentially crooked business people influencing elections either.
bularry
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Quote:

"Voting is a foundational right in America, and we have long championed efforts to make it easier to vote," Quincey wrote in a statement published on Coca-Cola's website on April 1. "We want to be crystal clear and state unambiguously that we are disappointed in the outcome of the Georgia voting legislation. Throughout Georgia's legislative session we provided feedback to members of both legislative chambers and political parties, opposing measures in the bills that would diminish or deter access to voting."
I didn't realize Coca Cola was making recommendations to Lawmakers during their sessions. That seems kinda odd.
Not too unusual, if a public company feels they could be impacted in some way. I just don't think it carries much weight in most instances.
cms186
this cant be true because Cancel culture is a Leftist disease, surely? /S
I'm the English Guy
4th and Inches
Cant have a corporate oligarchy without input from the corporates
ATL Bear
So how is this ironic again?
BaylorOkie
There is a fine line between canceling and simply deciding not to purchase from a company. As I type this, I have not read the article so I'm not commenting specifically on this instance. Just a general comment.

I don't particularly care for either. If people with conservative and/or traditional values start boycotting every company that supports progressive values, they will soon have very few places to shop.
Sam Lowry
BaylorOkie said:

There is a fine line between canceling and simply deciding not to purchase from a company. As I type this, I have not read the article so I'm not commenting specifically on this instance. Just a general comment.

I don't particularly care for either. If people with conservative and/or traditional values start boycotting every company that supports progressive values, they will soon have very few places to shop.
The line is usually pretty clear. Surry County GOP is boycotting Coke because Coke got itself involved in a political issue. Canceling would be, for example, not buying Coke because their CEO accidentally misgendered someone on Twitter in 2007.
Doc Holliday
You've convinced me booray. GOP are hypocrites and democrats never do anything wrong.

I will now vote to tax myself out of my home. All hail bureaucracy and big government, they will fix the problem.
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

BaylorOkie said:

The line is usually pretty clear. Surry County GOP is boycotting Coke because Coke got itself involved in a political issue. Canceling would be, for example, not buying Coke because their CEO accidentally misgendered someone on Twitter in 2007.
well said
I haven't seen Jane Fonda movie in decades
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

BaylorOkie said:

Yep.
Booray
Sam Lowry said:

BaylorOkie said:

So boycotts based on political views are ok, but boycotts based on cultural views are evil? I fail to see the distinction.
Baylor3216
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Quote:

Guess I've kinda not been paying attention, but business doesn't need to be in the "business" of influencing or controlling legislation.

The separation of church and state is a great idea, the separation of business and state with the incredibly large potential of corruption, may not be a terrible idea. Coke should be concerning itself with legislation affecting their business practices, not voting laws, gun laws, and other laws they happen to disagree with. We don't want churches influencing elections, I don't want potentially crooked business people influencing elections either.

Where ya been the last I don't know, 2 centuries?
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

BaylorOkie said:

So boycotts based on political views are ok, but boycotts based on cultural views are evil? I fail to see the distinction.
Boycotts target policies, while canceling targets people. The former pressures a company to change its practices, and the latter pressures them to punish an individual.
Waco1947
Sam Lowry said:

BaylorOkie said:

It is not a political issue but a racial justice issue.
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

Sam Lowry said:

BaylorOkie said:

It is not a political issue but a racial justice issue.
Same thing.
Mothra
Is canceling a corporation that is a part of cancel culture actually canceling?
quash
Sam Lowry said:

BaylorOkie said:

They removed the machines. How is that not laughably cancel culture?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash

People targeted for their policies. Cancel culture.

And to me the irony is the posters here surprised at a corporation getting involved in politics. Are you kidding me?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Sam Lowry
quash said:

And to me the irony is the posters here surprised at a corporation getting involved in politics. Are you kidding me?

People as individuals don't have policies, they have opinions. The essence of cancel culture is targeting people for their opinions.
HuMcK
quash said:

Who could have seen this coming??

quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

People as individuals don't have policies, they have opinions. The essence of cancel culture is targeting people for their opinions.

The essence of cancel culture is cancellation.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

That begs a definition. I'm arguing that the term was coined as a reference to something distinct from traditional boycotts.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

That begs a definition. I'm arguing that the term was coined as a reference to something distinct from traditional boycotts.

Did the county ask people not to buy Coke? Because that would be a traditional boycott.
ATL Bear
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Did the county ask people not to buy Coke? Because that would be a traditional boycott.

The people's representatives did.
quash
ATL Bear said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

I don't care if they were elected or not. Without the request to boycott there is no boycott.

Plus, a boycott is an individual decision to buy or not. Here there is no individual choice allowed; the option has been cancelled.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

ATL Bear said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

I don't care if they were elected or not. Without the request to boycott there is no boycott.

Plus, a boycott is an individual decision to buy or not. Here there is no individual choice allowed; the option has been cancelled.
Everyone knows at McDonalds you get Coke and at Taco Bell you get Pepsi. The GOP chose not to contract with Coke, simple as that.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

ATL Bear said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Everyone knows at McDonalds you get Coke and at Taco Bell you get Pepsi. The GOP chose not to contract with Coke, simple as that.
Sure. And so they cancelled their contract.
LIB,MR BEARS
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Quote:

Unless their reconditions are something along the lines of "try Zero. It looks like you could use it" or " try it with vanilla ice cream because I see you appreciate good snacks " I really see no reason to listen to their suggestions.
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Quote:

Unless their reconditions are something along the lines of "try Zero. It looks like you could use it" or " try it with vanilla ice cream because I see you appreciate good snacks " I really see no reason to listen to their suggestions.

Why not? They are stakeholders, too.
Booray
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

ATL Bear said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

A decision not based on the merits or pricing of the product.

You define cancel culture narrowly, but it is a faux distinction. Boycotts of products or canceling of individuals are both about inflicting economic harm because one does not agree with another's political or cultural views. They are sibling tactics of the same strategy.
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

ATL Bear said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

A decision not based on the merits or pricing of the product.

You define cancel culture narrowly, but it is a faux distinction. Boycotts of products or canceling of individuals are both about inflicting economic harm because one does not agree with another's political or cultural views. They are sibling tactics of the same strategy.
It's a boycott of the company based on the actions of the company, not an individual. No one would care if Coke's CEO personally opposed voter ID, or whatever this is about. Contrast with Brendon Eich, who was targeted for his views as an individual.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.