Group of parents in Nevada want teachers to wear body cams to monitor CRT teaching

3,470 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by D. C. Bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Nevada schools reckon with race, triggering polarization

RENO, Nev. (AP) Nevada has become the latest flashpoint in a national debate over how to teach students about racism and its role in U.S. history, with parents clashing over curriculum proposals.

People wore MAGA hats and waved signs outside a packed school board meeting this week in Reno, while trustees considered expanding K-5 curriculum to include more teaching about equity, diversity and racism.

Opponents say the proposal would lead to the teaching of "critical race theory," which seeks to reframe the narrative of American history. Critics say such lesson plans teach students to hate the United States.

A conservative group even suggested outfitting teachers with body cameras to ensure they aren't indoctrinating children with such lessons.

"You guys have a serious problem with activist teachers pushing politics in the classroom, and there's no place for it, especially for our fifth graders," Karen England, Nevada Family Alliance executive director, told Washoe County School District trustees Tuesday.

District officials there and in Carson City, where a similar debate is playing out, say critical race theory is not part of their plans.

The clashes mirror fights underway throughout the U.S.

In GOP-controlled statehouses, lawmakers have passed measures prohibiting the teaching of critical race theory, a reaction to the nation's racial reckoning after last year's police killing of George Floyd.

Nevada has bucked that trend. Gov. Steve Sisolak signed legislation this week to add multicultural education to social studies curriculum standards and teach students about the historic contributions of members of additional racial and ethnic groups.

Dr. Jonathan Moore, deputy superintendent of Nevada's education agency, said the laws clarified social studies "content themes," which already included concepts like social justice and diversity. The standards do not include critical race theory, which draws a line from slavery and segregation to contemporary inequities and argues racism remains embedded in laws and institutions.

Meanwhile, the Black mother of a mixed-race student is suing a Las Vegas charter school over a "Sociology of Change" course that covers the concept of privilege as it pertains to race, gender and sexual orientation.

In Reno, the Washoe County School District arranged overflow rooms and set up loudspeakers outside Tuesday's school board meeting to accommodate a large crowd.

Opponents gathered outside carrying signs that read "No CRT," "CRT teaches racism" and "The School Board works for the people!"

"You say there's no CRT (critical race theory) in this curriculum," Sparks resident Bruce Parks told trustees. "It is being taught in our schools right now. When you use words and language like 'white male privilege,' 'systemic racism,' that's straight out of CRT."

On the other side of the entrance, students, parents and teachers wore green T-shirts and carried signs with slogans including "Amplify Student Voices" to signify support for "Washoe County School District Students for Change," a group that has pushed for curriculum additions.

"These are systemic issues, and they've been here for a long time. But I think the protests last year really gave light to how divided people were and how polarized people were," said Michael Arreygue, a college student who attended Washoe County schools. "There's people who don't want to acknowledge that these problems exist that there is systemic racism and injustice."

Superintendent Kristen McNeill recommended the district form a task force to review curriculum instead of implementing the plan. The board approved the task force on Wednesday.

In Carson City, a proposal to incorporate concepts like equity into the strategic plan raised concerns about how schools broach the topic of race.

At a Tuesday school board meeting, parent Jason Tingle said he was worried when he heard talk about critical race theory in schools.

But he reviewed district materials and concluded the fears were unfounded.

"I've yet to see anything in the curriculum that shows that we are actually going to take a hardcore approach to critical race theory," said Tingle, who has four children enrolled in district schools.

"Until our kids come home and show us something different or tell us something different, then we should keep our faith in the school district and let them do what they were sent here to do."
HuMcK
HuMcK

Whiskey Pete
Cameras might not be a bad idea. If they aren't teaching kids CRT, then the teachers can simply direct parents to the video feed and see for themselves

That would shut down those nasty conservatives, bigly.
boognish_bear
Rawhide said:

Cameras might not be a bad idea. If they aren't teaching kids CRT, then the teachers can simply direct parents to the video feed and see for themselves

There has to be some privacy concerns though. I can see where parents of low performing, or special education, or behavior issues, etc wouldn't want their child's struggles on display.
4th and Inches
HuMcK said:

congrats you found a twit on twitter
4th and Inches
Rawhide said:

cameras are good for many things like making sure teachers teach, students behave, and can be used to create parent involvement/accountability

Cameras are bad for other reasons
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Rawhide said:

cameras are good for many things like making sure teachers teach, students behave, and can be used to create parent involvement/accountability

Cameras are bad for other reasons
I say no on the body cam for teachers
HuMcK
That's an influential conservative strategist and think-tank director giving a peek behind the curtain at how propaganda is generated, and his plan to set a narrative around the words "critical race theory". It's how you motivate people (voters) to actually show up, make them angry or scared and point to something they can blame for it.
4th and Inches
HuMcK said:

That's an influential conservative strategist and think-tank director giving a peek behind the curtain at how propaganda is generated, and his plan to set a narrative around the words "critical race theory". It's how you motivate people (voters) to actually show up, make them angry or scared and point to something they can blame for it.
i saw the mass media do that for 4 years to get rid of Trump
D. C. Bear
4th and Inches said:

HuMcK said:

i saw the mass media do that for 4 years to get rid of Trump

Evidence would seem to suggest you are correct, and I say this as someone who never voted for Trump.
HuMcK
Meanwhile, this is the state of history education in at least one southern state.
boognish_bear
whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

The more egregious error in the Texas textbook is misidentifying the largest immigrant group in McLennan and Bell Counties as German when they were clearly Czech.
Mothra
boognish_bear said:

Rawhide said:

There has to be some privacy concerns though. I can see where parents of low performing, or special education, or behavior issues, etc wouldn't want their child's struggles on display.
What would be the privacy concerns in a public school setting? If you are teaching a room full of 30 students, I do not see any privacy issues there. Of course, I could see an issue if you are in a private meeting with a student, but that's not what the article suggests would be recorded.

I am surprised that any parent of a public school kiddo would be against transparency, and seeing what it is their kids are being taught at school. They are your kids, afterall.
ABC BEAR
They should require body cams in the teachers lounge.....That's where parents will really find out what teachers think of their kids.
Canon
If cameras are good enough for police they are good enough for teachers. Propaganda is not acceptable in education.
D. C. Bear
Cameras in classrooms would probably do more to curb some students' poor behavior than teachers' poor behavior.
bularry
Canon said:

If cameras are good enough for police they are good enough for teachers. Propaganda is not acceptable in education.
yes, such a perfect comparison.....your grasp of logic is truly mind-blowing
Canon
bularry said:

Canon said:

yes, such a perfect comparison.....your grasp of logic is truly mind-blowing

Accountability confuses some. Don't worry.
The Rickest Rick There Is
Our schools have been teaching trash like this for a long time.
I wish they would teach academics in schools, religion at church and leave the debatable trash to the parents discretion.
boognish_bear
Porteroso
I'd be totally in favor of cameras, and CRT should not be taught in grade school, except as a part of political science in higher grades.

I'm all for parents taking more responsibility for their kids' learning and education. If we can get there by getting parents fired up about CRT then great! I'm not sure most parents would really watch a video of the entire school day, every day, but maybe the PTA makes a rotation?
Canon
HuMcK said:

Meanwhile, this is the state of history education in at least one southern state.

Were these books historically inaccurate? Did the use of direct quotes from a contemporary diary make you sad?

The left wants to teach everything through the lens of race and wants to demonize people of the time (and by extension anyone who happens to look like them) for actions that were peculiar to their time and place. I suspect, the perfect history book would cast all white people as villains and all black people as heroic victims. There'd be no room for context or diary entries. There'd be no room for understanding the views of all the participants in history. It would suffice to say one color was evil and one color was good and the world is exactly the same in 2021 as it was in 1865. That is the essence of CRT and efforts to rewrite history like the 1619 project.

Redbrickbear
HuMcK said:

You're completely taking that out of context.

The book has stories from all kinds of individuals and people from that time period in Louisiana history.

It has stories from lots of other Louisianans.

Francis Nicholls is who Nicholls state university is named after and who was a governor of the State. His story is certainly worth learning about in the context of Louisiana history from 1860-1900.

And Francis Nicholls story is not even close to the only one told.

Kate Stone was 20 years old and kept a first hand diary about the run up to war, the conflict itself, and the aftermath.

Again, these are not the only two people who's perspectives are told.

Nor is this book from 2015 the only book taught about in terms of Louisiana history....talk about selective outrage.

This is blowing up on twitter (terrible place to get accurate info) because it seems to confirm the worst fevered dreams of Liberals that somehow there are school districts in the South teaching "non approved" and "non leftist" interpretations of the Civil war.
Redbrickbear
HuMcK said:

Also, love how Joshua Benton right under this on his twitter feed is retweeting Ida Bae Wells (1619 project loon) who's whole attempt to reframe the American revolution and founding as only about slavery was widely discredited by historians.

And re-tweets glowing PR articles about Rep. llahn Omar

This guy is totally not a leftist partisan hack at all......
boognish_bear
midgett
Nothing prepares you for the real world and finances than being told requiring correct answers in math are racist.

US educators slam math workbook that claims it's racist to ask students to get the right answer | Daily Mail Online
D. C. Bear
Prearknot said:

midgett said:

Nothing prepares you for the real world and finances than being told requiring correct answers in math are racist.

US educators slam math workbook that claims it's racist to ask students to get the right answer | Daily Mail Online
I don't understand how you can consider a person stupid or stupid just because he has a different skin color? Why address them in a special way if they are the same as the whites. When I was in school, I always took the math exams using prompts. But this did not stop me from opening my own business and running it myself. Therefore, I do not believe in scientific racism and believe that your intelligence cannot be influenced by the color of your skin and the size of your eyes.

That is only partly true. If you tell people over and over that their skin color or eye color confers certain traits on them, they will tend to perform at that level of expectation. It is not, of course, that actual color of someone's skin or eyes, but the social expectation that drives performance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.