Canada Has Reached New Lows

4,556 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aliceinbubbleland
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

Violate the law, and you usually get consequences.

A lot of people think they can break the law to serve a higher purpose, and that higher purpose is usually their own pride. If the pastor would be willing to take in a leper at his home church, I would concede maybe he is truly seeking to obey the "gather in my name" literally. But I bet he just doesn't think covid was a big enough deal to pause his in person meetings.
And this was basically a stunt anyway. The story says he knew he was in violation of the order and decided to hold the service in direct violation of the order anyway.

If you feel the order is unlawful, there are avenues through which to address that. But when you violate the law, you face the consequences. That's not anything new or unique to this pastor.

And comparing this to 30s Germany is utterly idiotic and an insult to those who experienced real persecution for their faith/ethnicity by the Nazis. This is a temporary order made in direct response to a once-in-a-century pandemic that applies to all such gatherings equally. This man wasn't persecuted for his beliefs. He's a political protestor trying to pass himself off as a religious martyr.
Why do you hate Rosa Parks?
Rosa Parks was fighting actual injustice. This guy's just a selfish ***** trying to score points with those in his tribe.

And Rosa Parks and other peaceful protestors during the civil rights movement didn't cry when they were arrested. They expected to be and accepted that as a consequence of their civil disobedience.
"actual injustice " equates to "nothing is bad enough to protest until I say it's bad enough to protest."

Damned uppitty Christians.

In this particular case, it was one damned uppity Christian. It looks like just about everyone else managed to navigate this order without making a spectacle of themselves.

But a temporary order that applies to all groups does not equal established discriminatory law based on race, ethnicity or religion. And it won't no matter how hard some you try to equate the two.

This wasn't persecution. It was a political protest. And when your protest puts you at odds with the law, you should expect to face legal consequences.
This law is not justified, nor based on data and is harmful to society. That was enough for our forefathers, civil rights and virtually every advance towards freedom.

Is there any point where law/government is too extreme for you, or do you lick the boot for any decree?
Believing or pretending you're above those consequences or that the law shouldn't apply to you because you disagree with it is absurd.
That's EXACTLY what took place during the civil rights era.

No it's not. Civil rights activists knew and accepted that they'd be punished according to the existing law. They determined that that sacrifice was justified in their effort to change laws they felt were unjust.
This preacher knew he'd be punished by existing COVID law.

He determined his sacrifice was justified in his effort to change COVID law he feels is unjust.

It's the same thing.
I don't seem to recall Rosa Parks calling in a camera, gathering her crying kids and trying to wriggle out of her arrest when the time came to face the consequences of her decisions.

Maybe that's covered in one of those Louisiana history books.
ShooterTX
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

2nd time in two weeks. He knew it was coming. Why would his kids react that way to something they expected?

Comparing the preacher with a Jew in Nazi Germany is wrong.

Canada has rules. They should apply to everyone. If you dont like the rules there are several options. Defying the rules is one option and we will see how it works out. I have defied the rules to a certain extent and attended services in both the UAE and China.

In the UAE there was a group of Christians that met in an apartment on Saturday nights. I felt they were sincere and attended several time and tithed there. i am not sure of the legal status but the group did not advertise their existence.

I attended a church in China one time. It was led by a teacher I met at a seminar. I think he was using his church to create controversy and never went back.

Tim Stevens knew this was coming and couldnt have been surprised. He either must not have told his children what to expect or they knew and were acting. Not the way I or I bet most of you would have handled it.
I'll wait for the video of BLM/Antifa protestors and LGBT Pride rally attendees rounded up by Canadian authorities, and thrown in jail.

I'll also wait for the police to use helicopters to track and arrest those BLM & Pride folks.

Until you show evidence of that... this law is NOT being applied equally, as you falsely stated above. The Canandian gov is only interested in enforcing the laws against certain groups of people... and yes... that sounds a lot like Germany in the early & mid 30s. If you knew history at all, you would remember that the persecution started long before the concentration camps or even the ghettos were established. It started with situations like this one right here... selective enforcement of the law.
ShooterTX
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

A lot of people think they can break the law to serve a higher purpose, and that higher purpose is usually their own pride. If the pastor would be willing to take in a leper at his home church, I would concede maybe he is truly seeking to obey the "gather in my name" literally. But I bet he just doesn't think covid was a big enough deal to pause his in person meetings.
And this was basically a stunt anyway. The story says he knew he was in violation of the order and decided to hold the service in direct violation of the order anyway.

If you feel the order is unlawful, there are avenues through which to address that. But when you violate the law, you face the consequences. That's not anything new or unique to this pastor.

And comparing this to 30s Germany is utterly idiotic and an insult to those who experienced real persecution for their faith/ethnicity by the Nazis. This is a temporary order made in direct response to a once-in-a-century pandemic that applies to all such gatherings equally. This man wasn't persecuted for his beliefs. He's a political protestor trying to pass himself off as a religious martyr.
Rosa Parks was fighting actual injustice. This guy's just a selfish ***** trying to score points with those in his tribe.

And Rosa Parks and other peaceful protestors during the civil rights movement didn't cry when they were arrested. They expected to be and accepted that as a consequence of their civil disobedience.
"actual injustice " equates to "nothing is bad enough to protest until I say it's bad enough to protest."

In this particular case, it was one damned uppity Christian. It looks like just about everyone else managed to navigate this order without making a spectacle of themselves.

But a temporary order that applies to all groups does not equal established discriminatory law based on race, ethnicity or religion. And it won't no matter how hard some you try to equate the two.

This wasn't persecution. It was a political protest. And when your protest puts you at odds with the law, you should expect to face legal consequences.
This law is not justified, nor based on data and is harmful to society. That was enough for our forefathers, civil rights and virtually every advance towards freedom.

Is there any point where law/government is too extreme for you, or do you lick the boot for any decree?
Believing or pretending you're above those consequences or that the law shouldn't apply to you because you disagree with it is absurd.

No it's not. Civil rights activists knew and accepted that they'd be punished according to the existing law. They determined that that sacrifice was justified in their effort to change laws they felt were unjust.

He determined his sacrifice was justified in his effort to change COVID law he feels is unjust.

It's the same thing.
I don't seem to recall Rosa Parks calling in a camera, gathering her crying kids or trying to wriggle out of her arrest when the time came to face the consequences of her decisions.

Damn the circumstances, the law is either unjust or not.

You have dynamic views on authority, I have static views.

You're arguing that his livelihood being violated isn't harsh enough to justify breaking the law in comparison to someone else's livelihood being violated. I'd argue NOBODY's livelihood should be violated based on laws that have no justification, no matter how big or small.
Redbrickbear
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bear2be2 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

bear2be2 said:

Porteroso said:

It's the same thing.
I don't seem to recall Rosa Parks calling in a camera, gathering her crying kids and trying to wriggle out of her arrest when the time came to face the consequences of her decisions.

Yea nothing manufactured and PR controlled about Rosa Parks...

This guy in the famous pic was a professional photographer.

https://libertarianinstitute.org/articles/the-true-story-of-rosa-parks/

["The Rosa Parks story was a lie. My grandmother, and three other women were the real Rosa Parks. They really were tired one day, after a godawful amount of work, and just couldn't get up to move to stand in the back of the bus. They were all prosecuted for defying the rule, and they filed a lawsuit about it. This lawsuit, in spite of the boycott, is why the 'back of the bus' rule was overturned. Rosa Parks was a fraud. She sat in the wrong seats for months waiting for an incident to happen. When it did, a bunch of white communists came on board to make a big deal about it. But my grandmother was the real hero, a real woman, not some communist tool. And in the 70s when the Rosa Parks legend was becoming popular, she spoke out about it."

The lawsuit in question was Browder v. Gayle. It was the actual cause of the "back of the bus" policy ending. The four defendants were: Aurelia Browder, Susie McDonald, Mary Louise Smith, and Jeanetta Reese. These women deserve credit. They really were the "real" Rosa Parks. To be fair, respect to this granddaughter earning her tuition money at the museum, these women should be celebrated because they were real people. Rosa Parks was an activist, and she had an agenda.]

quash

What's the mantra around here? "All he had to do was follow the rules..."
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash

Parks was an authentic activist, her legend is the lie. The word most often associated with her is "quiet". Far from it.

I don't have a problem with activists using their activism to foment change in the face of unjust laws. As President Lincoln said "The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Maybe Canada will take the hint.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Robert Wilson
Shocking to me how many people toss free exercise and religious liberty straight out the window for a virus that may kill 1 in 1,000 people who catch it. Pathetic. We are a gutless and silly people. We don't deserve freedom.
Redbrickbear
Robert Wilson said:

Shocking to me how many people toss free exercise and religious liberty straight out the window for a virus that may kill 1 in 1,000 people who catch it. Pathetic. We are a gutless and silly people. We don't deserve freedom.
Modern industrial society makes people physical cowards and spiritually dead.....sad but true.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

It's killed twice that rate in the general population, let alone people who caught it.
Redbrickbear
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

It's killed twice that rate in the general population, let alone people who caught it.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/we-could-be-vastly-overestimating-the-death-rate-for-covid-19-heres-why/

We have been way over estimating the death rate for Covid-19 for a long time.

Its several orders more deadly than the common flu....but far far from the hysterical and feminized emotional rhetoric... especially for those under the age of 50 and with no underlying health problems.

Its not the black death or even Ebola or SARs.
Sam Lowry
Redbrickbear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/we-could-be-vastly-overestimating-the-death-rate-for-covid-19-heres-why/

We have been way over estimating the death rate for Covid-19 for a long time.

Its several orders more deadly than the common flu....but far far from the hysterical and feminized emotional rhetoric... especially for those under the age of 50 and with no underlying health problems.

Its not the black death or even Ebola or SARs.
We could be overestimating the infection fatality rate, although it's a lot less likely than it was when that article was published over a year ago. We've almost certainly underestimated the death rate. IFR isn't the only measure of the seriousness of the outbreak. Covid is worse than Ebola and SARS in some ways because its relatively modest IFR and high transmissibility allow it to infect more people.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Ok. Feel free to substitute. No one forces anyone to go to church.
Robert Wilson
Redbrickbear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Modern industrial society makes people physical cowards and spiritually dead.....sad but true.
Yep. That's where we are.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

No, but you can't force them to stay there either.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

God you say some ridiculous things.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

God you say some ridiculous things.
Eh...maybe one time in a thousand.
bularry
Canon said:

For everyone's reference and to demonstrate the gestapo like tactics employed by Canada....they hunted down this peaceful OUTDOOR service using a helicopter. They are stalking this man and his congregation because of their faith.

"A police helicopter was deployed to search for and detect this gathering, and to collect evidence against Pastor Stephens of non-compliance with public health restrictions," according to a press release from the Calgary-based Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, which is legally representing Stephens and other Canadian pastors being prosecuted by provincial governments. Stephens was imprisoned before in May until his legal counsel argued that the court order under which he had been arrested did not apply to him.

After first claiming in a press release that the illegal service had been held inside the locked church building, Calgary Police Service and Alberta Health Services issued a correction stating the gathering was outside but still failed to comply with current COVID-19 restrictions, according to Global News.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/give-unto-caesar-alberta-pastor-jailed-again-after-police-helicopter-finds-secret-church-gathering-officer-quotes-jesus-to-justify-arrest
not "because of their faith" but I like your distortions of truth, they are amazing
jupiter
agreed, police states suck
Mothra

Why in hell would a man grandstand his kids like that? If you dont like Canadas rules go somewhere else.

This reasoning reminds me of all those nutty redneck conservatives you loathe who told anyone who didn't like our country to get the hell out. Interesting how the shoe is now on the other foot.
Florda_mike
ShooterTX said:

2nd time in two weeks. He knew it was coming. Why would his kids react that way to something they expected?

Comparing the preacher with a Jew in Nazi Germany is wrong.

Canada has rules. They should apply to everyone. If you dont like the rules there are several options. Defying the rules is one option and we will see how it works out. I have defied the rules to a certain extent and attended services in both the UAE and China.

In the UAE there was a group of Christians that met in an apartment on Saturday nights. I felt they were sincere and attended several time and tithed there. i am not sure of the legal status but the group did not advertise their existence.

I attended a church in China one time. It was led by a teacher I met at a seminar. I think he was using his church to create controversy and never went back.

Tim Stevens knew this was coming and couldnt have been surprised. He either must not have told his children what to expect or they knew and were acting. Not the way I or I bet most of you would have handled it.
I'll wait for the video of BLM/Antifa protestors and LGBT Pride rally attendees rounded up by Canadian authorities, and thrown in jail.

I'll also wait for the police to use helicopters to track and arrest those BLM & Pride folks.

Until you show evidence of that... this law is NOT being applied equally, as you falsely stated above. The Canandian gov is only interested in enforcing the laws against certain groups of people... and yes... that sounds a lot like Germany in the early & mid 30s. If you knew history at all, you would remember that the persecution started long before the concentration camps or even the ghettos were established. It started with situations like this one right here... selective enforcement of the law.

In addition, not just Germany either .....

In any beginnings of a Socialist government, they "cleanse" the country of its' landowners first and foremost. Landowners are the enemy of Socialism as those that think of owning property are poison to the Socialism ideals and must be eliminated for thinking that way. And yes, eliminated does mean to be killed eventually, if even slowly starved in prison/jail(they're presently doing this to January 6th chosen insurrectionists in DC jails FYI)

We are in trouble indeed and many here are complicit in not seeing or choosing to not see what's happening to our country
Aliceinbubbleland
bear2be2 said:

Rosa Parks was fighting actual injustice. This guy's just a selfish **** trying to score points with those in his tribe.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.