Is the COVID Vaccine Being Pushed Hard Now To Recoup Sunk Costs?

1,728 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by J.B.Katz
BaylorFTW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On my run today this thought came to mind. A number of companies put a great deal of time and energy into creating these various "vaccines." If people do not use the vaccines, that effort is all largely wasted and they stand to lose a lot of money. Are they really concerned with whether the vaccines they were playing with work or have long term health consequences or are they just looking to recoup costs and even earn a tidy profit? Sad thought but who is ensuring they truly have our best interests at heart?

BusyTarpDuster2017
There are nine new billionaires from the making of these vaccines, all pharma CEO's and execs. They're doing mighty fine.
D. C. Bear
BaylorFTW said:

On my run today this thought came to mind. A number of companies put a great deal of time and energy into creating these various "vaccines." If people do not use the vaccines, that effort is all largely wasted and they stand to lose a lot of money. Are they really concerned with whether the vaccines they were playing with work or have long term health consequences or are they just looking to recoup costs and even earn a tidy profit? Sad thought but who is ensuring they truly have our best interests at heart?

The vaccines we have do work, and those who developed them were most certainly were concerned with whether they worked. A number of vaccines candidates didn't work, and some worked stunningly well. Right now, the biggest problem we have with suppressing COVID in the United States is the failure of too many people in parts of the country to go ahead and get the vaccine so that the virus doesn't have a sufficiently large vulnerable population to spread. There are no currently apparent significant "long term health effects" from these vaccines, and no real reason to think there will be.

I walked by the grave of a man this morning, buried last week, who is dead today because he decided he didn't want to be vaccinated.
BaylorFTW
D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

The vaccines we have do work, and those who developed them were most certainly were concerned with whether they worked. A number of vaccines candidates didn't work, and some worked stunningly well. Right now, the biggest problem we have with suppressing COVID in the United States is the failure of too many people in parts of the country to go ahead and get the vaccine so that the virus doesn't have a sufficiently large vulnerable population to spread. There are no currently apparent significant "long term health effects" from these vaccines, and no real reason to think there will be.

I walked by the grave of a man this morning, buried last week, who is dead today because he decided he didn't want to be vaccinated.
Your post states these things as if they are settled facts but most of the things you mentioned are hotly disputed. I would be curious how you arrived at these conclusions.
Greenbear
Big pharma has a right to make money. Big pharma is greedy and is headed for trouble in the future because of that greed. The family that made Opiods are a good example of how this works. Making billionaires is fine, but to allow people to die because they don't have the money to pay to keep big pharma rich will eventually do them in.
BearTruth13
I doubt big pharma cares at this point. 170M (52% of the country) have received at least 1 shot. They've already made back all the money they'll need.
jupiter
They were largely bulk bought by governments in large pre-order tranches and given away for to the public for "free" at the margin.

If anything we might be subsidizing some of the vaccines that don't work as well instead of investing more heavily in the ones that do.

If anything limiting the government to the only purchasers might be reducing the incentive for companies to do clinical trials to find out the efficacy of fractional dosing to price discriminate and stretch the vaccine further or faster in the developing world, or to have companies consolidate their efforts behind a handful of the most effective vaccines and sell/manufacture them under license

Thank God there are nine new billionaires, they've probably saved millions of lives and countless hospitalizations.

One of America's few shining examples of excellence during the pandemic, at least three and maybe more world leading vaccines with excellent efficacy rates, that are highly prized the world over, perhaps even to a fault

Three cheers for the American Pharmaceutical industry

jupiter

midgett
D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Tell Tami and her brother that.

midgett
The cases in India have dropped sharply despite being the home to the Delta variant.

Only 4% of India is vaccinated. Is the sharp drop because so many weren't vaccinated? I don't understand.

BellCountyBear
BaylorFTW said:

Federal government (tax payers) covered all of this and they don't give a **** about saving money obviously.
D. C. Bear
BaylorFTW said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Your post states these things as if they are settled facts but most of the things you mentioned are hotly disputed. I would be curious how you arrived at these conclusions.

The fact that the vaccines work is not "hotly disputed" unless you are a total dumb ass. The numbers don't lie. Given that fact and the fact that case rates are rising where vaccination rates are lower and falling where vaccination rates are higher, as well as basic logic, it shouldn't be "hotly disputed" that the major hurdle in the United States in controlling COVID is getting more people vaccinated. Here is an article detailing the numbers. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/06/14/covid-cases-vaccination-rates/

The fact that there were a number of failed vaccine candidates is not "hotly disputed," either.

There are, as of yet, no significant "long term health risks" identified. One could argue that it is because some unknown effect will manifest after five years, but that would be baseless speculation.

It is not hotly disputed that the father, grandfather and local community leader whose grave I passed would almost certainly be alive today if he had bothered to get a vaccine when it became available to him.

So, no, most of the things I mentioned are not, in fact, "hotly disputed" at all.
D. C. Bear
midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Could have been a reaction to the vaccine, but, then again, I have a former work colleague whose teenage son with no known health problems dropped dead while walking with friends with a similar cardiac condition and that was long before 2019. Turned out to be a rare genetic condition. Correlation does not automatically mean causation.
midgett
D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Correlation does not automatically mean causation.

Kinda like the 102 yo woman who is listed as a Covid death and also had kidney failure, dementia and stroke.

Vaccines are an excellent choice for those at high risk to Covid. 70-75 and up in age and those with underlying conditions such as diabetes and obesity.

The younger and the healthier a person is the less need to take a vaccine which, as you correctly mentioned, could surface years from now.

It's a risk scale. Some people are definitely at higher risk to Covid than to the vaccine and it's unknown side effects and long term safety risk. Most have little to no risk to Covid and then have no need to take an unknown and possibly unnecessary risk.

The push by pharma companies and govt to encourage kids to take the vaccine is irresponsible. It's similar to sending Covid patients back to a nursing home.
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Read today the CDC is considering reversing its decision to allow children to get the vaccine because apparently a number of children are having heart issues following the vaccine. They're supposed to meet on it this week.

We have a vaccine whose third stage - which looks at long term effects for a several year period - was shortened to a matter of months. It's far too early to say these vaccines will have no long term side effects.

That is why I'm for personal choice and freedom to take the vaccine or not take the vaccine.
Mothra
midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Kinda like the 102 yo woman who is listed as a Covid death and also had kidney failure, dementia and stroke.

Vaccines are an excellent choice for those at high risk to Covid. 70-75 and up in age and those with underlying conditions such as diabetes and obesity.

The younger and the healthier a person is the less need to take a vaccine which, as you correctly mentioned, could surface years from now.

It's a risk scale. Some people are definitely at higher risk to Covid than to the vaccine and it's unknown side effects and long term safety risk. Most have little to no risk to Covid and then have no need to take an unknown and possibly unnecessary risk.

The push by pharma companies and govt to encourage kids to take the vaccine is irresponsible. It's similar to sending Covid patients back to a nursing home.

Well said.
Mothra
jupiter said:

They were largely bulk bought by governments in large pre-order tranches and given away for to the public for "free" at the margin.

If anything we might be subsidizing some of the vaccines that don't work as well instead of investing more heavily in the ones that do.

If anything limiting the government to the only purchasers might be reducing the incentive for companies to do clinical trials to find out the efficacy of fractional dosing to price discriminate and stretch the vaccine further or faster in the developing world, or to have companies consolidate their efforts behind a handful of the most effective vaccines and sell/manufacture them under license

Thank God there are nine new billionaires, they've probably saved millions of lives and countless hospitalizations.

One of America's few shining examples of excellence during the pandemic, at least three and maybe more world leading vaccines with excellent efficacy rates, that are highly prized the world over, perhaps even to a fault

Three cheers for the American Pharmaceutical industry

Did you know every major pharmaceutical company in the United States has been found criminally negligent?

These are companies that have killed thousands of people over the years. Be careful with your praise.
Canon
D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Could have been a reaction to the vaccine, but, then again, I have a former work colleague whose teenage son with no known health problems dropped dead while walking with friends with a similar cardiac condition and that was long before 2019. Turned out to be a rare genetic condition. Correlation does not automatically mean causation.

The ultimate point is, it's unnecessary for kids....entirely. In the same way we wouldn't vaccinate children with Shingrix, for shingles, we shouldn't vaccinate them against other old age diseases to which they are not susceptible.
D. C. Bear
midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Less needed does not mean it is smart for a younger adult to refuse the vaccine.

Right now, we are seeing younger people, not just the elderly, being hospitalized with severe COVID.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/05/01/992148299/covid-doesnt-discriminate-by-age-serious-cases-on-the-rise-in-younger-adults
4th and Inches
BearTruth13 said:

I doubt big pharma cares at this point. 170M (52% of the country) have received at least 1 shot. They've already made back all the money they'll need.
the % number is bigger when thinking of elligible shot takers because certain age groups cant get it. There are millions of kids that are not elligible.
4th and Inches
D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Less news does not mean it is smart for a younger adult to refuse the vaccine.

Right now, we are seeing younger people, not just the elderly, being hospitalized with severe COVID.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/05/01/992148299/covid-doesnt-discriminate-by-age-serious-cases-on-the-rise-in-younger-adults
my friends 37 yr old son is in hospital after a stroke after he got the first vax shot.
Doc Holliday
D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Less needed does not mean it is smart for a younger adult to refuse the vaccine.

Well hold up. New data is showing young boys and men up to age 30 are experiencing myocarditis after vaccination.

Myocarditis is deadlier than COVID.

CDC confirms 226 cases of myocarditis after COVID-19 vaccination in people 30 and under
4th and Inches
Doc Holliday said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Well hold up. New data is showing young boys and men up to age 30 are experiencing myocarditis after vaccination.

CDC confirms 226 cases of myocarditis after COVID-19 vaccination in people 30 and under
yep
D. C. Bear
Doc Holliday said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Myocarditis is also a symptom of COVID, and myocarditis is also largely treatable. Additionally, death isn't the only really bad outcome of COVID. To show that the vaccine is a bad idea, one would have to show that the potential effects of the vaccine were worse than the potential effects of the disease in the population concerned. We are talking about a pretty low number of cases out of millions of vaccines given (those 226 cases are a little more than double what one would expect in a normal situation), but that still remains to be figured out definitively.
Doc Holliday
D. C. Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

Myocarditis is also a symptom of COVID, and myocarditis is also largely treatable. Additionally, death isn't the only really bad outcome of COVID. To show that the vaccine is a bad idea, one would have to show that the potential effects of the vaccine were worse than the potential effects of the disease in the population concerned. We are talking about a pretty low number of cases out of millions of vaccines given (those 226 cases are a little more than double what one would expect in a normal situation), but that still remains to be figured out definitively.
I'm not trying to argue against the vaccine.

There could be a situation where the vaccine kills a person and that same person not taking the vaccine may not have ever caught COVID their entire life.

Risk assessment is just choosing the least shi t ty option over gambling on encountering no risk.
D. C. Bear
Doc Holliday said:

D. C. Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

midgett said:

D. C. Bear said:

BaylorFTW said:

I'm not trying to argue against the vaccine.

There could be a situation where the vaccine kills a person and that same person not taking the vaccine may not have ever caught COVID their entire life.

Risk assessment is just choosing the least shi t ty option over gambling on encountering no risk.

Yeah, but people are notoriously bad at risk assessment.
J.B.Katz
What this thread tells me is that we're going to have a second surge of COVID because too many Americans refuse to get vaccinated.

When 600,000 plus COVID deaths and many more people who are permanently debilitated don't outweigh a few anecdotal adverse vaccine reactions (some of which may not have even been related to the vaccine), people aren't thinking logically; they're making medical decisions based on partisan politics.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.