Realism About Vaccine Hesitancy

8,233 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by quash
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Thoughts on this?

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html
Looks like they're replacing the old test with one that can detect coronavirus and flu.
Interesting. I tested positive for two strains of flu at once in February of 2020. It was the first time I'd ever had the flu, and it was pretty bad. My doctors thought the first test was bunk, so they tested again and it showed up as two different flu strains again. My doctors were baffled. Any chance it could have been Covid?
What is your conclusion?
Bad tests, bad docs, bad interpretation, Fauci conspiracy?
Nah I had two strains at once. It sucked.
quash

The realism about vaccine hesitancy is Florida hitting their caseload high.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Porteroso
Jack Bauer said:

The "Trump" vaccine became ok when it magically changed to the "Biden" vaccine?

Those are great examples of misinformation based upon politics. Science denial because muh feelings.

There are just as many blathering idiots on the left as on the right.

I hope we can see these idiotic twits for what they are, and not use them to excuse the horrific campaign of misinformation the far right is waging.
Florda_mike
quash said:

If it is I bet it's, not coincidentally, in highly democrat South Florida and not mostly republican remainder of state

It's called more "COVID Fake News" or misinformation
D. C. Bear
Sam Lowry said:

Thanks for posting. It's definitely food for thought. A few issues I notice:

-It's not clear how effective natural immunity is, and it's hard to tell without knowing how many have been infected. I know many people have decided not to be vaccinated after infection, but I question his presumption that they're acting on their doctors' advice. If anything I'd presume that most doctors would recommend vaccination anyway.

-Acknowledging slight risks contributes to vaccine hesitancy, but that's true with all vaccines. A certain amount of hesitancy is reasonable and rational. The elephant in the room is the widespread, irrational fear based on misinformation. That's a product of politics rather than science.

-An unvaccinated person's risk of encountering the disease is not necessarily decreasing. It was for a while, but in some areas it's increasing again due to low vaccination rates. Hospital admissions are starting to reflect this.

-The fact that we're not going to eradicate the virus doesn't necessarily mean we should treat it like a seasonal flu, at least not yet. This virus evolves differently. Flu itself can be extremely dangerous and may call for a more aggressive reaction when a new strain appears.

Studies I've seen found reinfection rate at about one percent. Can't remember exactly where they were. Unless someone had a particular need to do so, probably don't need it.

quash
Florda_mike said:

quash said:

If it is I bet it's, not coincidentally, in highly democrat South Florida and not mostly republican remainder of state

It's called more "COVID Fake News" or misinformation

It's your state, then you show that your caseload high (higher any prior spike) is mainly in the Blue areas. Your assumption is worthless without support.
Here's mine: https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-health-business-arts-and-entertainment-florida-01fa89e1d9491ab075c5deb689af1ea8
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.