Vaccinated folks now angry at vaccine hestitators

10,442 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 4th and Inches
J.B.Katz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The NYTimes has an article about the tension between people who are choosing to get vaccinated and those who refuse. This says 57% of adults are fully vaccinated. Fewer than 40% are in my state.

If all you've got to say is snark and right-wing media talking points, skip this thread. If there's tension in your family, church or workplace that's worth discussing, how are you dealing with it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/27/health/coronavirus-vaccination-hesitancy-delta.html

There is little doubt that the United States has reached an inflection point. According to a database maintained by The New York Times, 57 percent of Americans ages 12 and older are fully vaccinated. Eligible Americans are receiving 537,000 doses per day on average, an 84 percent decrease from the peak of 3.38 million in early April.

As a result of lagging vaccination and lifted restrictions, infections are rising. As of Sunday, the country was seeing 52,000 new cases daily, on average, a 170 percent increase over the previous two weeks. Hospitalization and death rates are increasing, too, although not as quickly.

Communities from San Francisco to Austin, Texas, are recommending that vaccinated people wear masks again in public indoor settings. Citing the spread of the more contagious Delta variant of the virus, the counties of Los Angeles and St. Louis, Mo., have ordered indoor mask mandates.

For many Americans who were vaccinated months ago, the future is beginning to look grim. Frustration is straining relations even within closely knit families.

Josh Perldeiner, 36, a public defender in Connecticut who has a 2-year-old son, was fully vaccinated by mid-May. But a close relative, who visits frequently, has refused to get the shots, although he and other family members have urged her to do so.

She recently tested positive for the virus after traveling to Florida, where hospitals are filling with Covid-19 patients. Now Mr. Perldeiner worries that his son, too young for a vaccine, may have been exposed.

"It goes beyond just putting us at risk," he said. "People with privilege are refusing the vaccine, and it's affecting our economy and perpetuating the cycle." As infections rise, he added, "I feel like we're at that same precipice as just a year ago, where people don't care if more people die."

Hospitals have become a particular flash point. Vaccination remains voluntary in most settings, and it is not required for caregivers at most hospitals and nursing homes. Many large hospital chains are just beginning to require that employees be vaccinated.
Doc Holliday
Then advocate for forced vaccinations and quit *****ing about it.
J.B.Katz
Doc Holliday said:

Are you vaccinated?
fadskier
J.B.Katz said:

The NYTimes has an article about the tension between people who are choosing to get vaccinated and those who refuse. This says 57% of adults are fully vaccinated. Fewer than 40% are in my state.

If all you've got to say is snark and right-wing media talking points, skip this thread. If there's tension in your family, church or workplace that's worth discussing, how are you dealing with it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/27/health/coronavirus-vaccination-hesitancy-delta.html

There is little doubt that the United States has reached an inflection point. According to a database maintained by The New York Times, 57 percent of Americans ages 12 and older are fully vaccinated. Eligible Americans are receiving 537,000 doses per day on average, an 84 percent decrease from the peak of 3.38 million in early April.

As a result of lagging vaccination and lifted restrictions, infections are rising. As of Sunday, the country was seeing 52,000 new cases daily, on average, a 170 percent increase over the previous two weeks. Hospitalization and death rates are increasing, too, although not as quickly.

Communities from San Francisco to Austin, Texas, are recommending that vaccinated people wear masks again in public indoor settings. Citing the spread of the more contagious Delta variant of the virus, the counties of Los Angeles and St. Louis, Mo., have ordered indoor mask mandates.

For many Americans who were vaccinated months ago, the future is beginning to look grim. Frustration is straining relations even within closely knit families.

Josh Perldeiner, 36, a public defender in Connecticut who has a 2-year-old son, was fully vaccinated by mid-May. But a close relative, who visits frequently, has refused to get the shots, although he and other family members have urged her to do so.

She recently tested positive for the virus after traveling to Florida, where hospitals are filling with Covid-19 patients. Now Mr. Perldeiner worries that his son, too young for a vaccine, may have been exposed.

"It goes beyond just putting us at risk," he said. "People with privilege are refusing the vaccine, and it's affecting our economy and perpetuating the cycle." As infections rise, he added, "I feel like we're at that same precipice as just a year ago, where people don't care if more people die."

Hospitals have become a particular flash point. Vaccination remains voluntary in most settings, and it is not required for caregivers at most hospitals and nursing homes. Many large hospital chains are just beginning to require that employees be vaccinated.
I respect people and the choices they make for their own healthcare.
J.B.Katz
fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Unless it's a woman who wants an abortion or to use a form of contraception you consider an "abortafacient."

Conservatives have no problem mandating healthcare choices. They just won't mandate the one that would help ensure our recovery from the pandemic.
Canada2017
fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Totally agree.

To each his own .

However I was discussing the situation yesterday with a neighbor who is a physician at a hospital in Greeley , Colorado .

Told me

A. HALF of his nurses are NOT vaccinated. Whereas almost all of the doctors and hospital administrators are .
B. The consequences of a COVID D infection on an unvaccinated individual are potentially huge .
C. Has one patient who just got off a ventilator after almost 5 weeks on it . Expects the 36 year old woman to survive but will most likely suffer permanent damage.
D. Very common for unvaccinated people to deeply regret their choices after getting sick with COVID D.
E. Constantly amazed how 'smart' people are making such reckless decisions.

fadskier
Canada2017 said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Totally agree.

To each his own .

However I was discussing the situation yesterday with a neighbor who is a physician at a hospital in Greeley , Colorado .

Told me

A. HALF of his nurses are NOT vaccinated. Whereas almost all of the doctors and hospital administrators are .
B. The consequences of a COVID D infection on an unvaccinated individual are potentially huge .
C. Has one patient who just got off a ventilator after almost 5 weeks on it . Expects the 36 year old woman to survive but will most likely suffer permanent damage.
D. Very common for unvaccinated people to deeply regret their choices after getting sick with COVID D.
E. Constantly amazed how 'smart' people are making such reckless decisions.

I got vaccinated but I just have a deep issue with the government making someone inject themselves...after all, it was Biden and Harris who said that they wouldn't take the Trump vaccine.
4th and Inches
J.B.Katz said:

Doc Holliday said:

Are you vaccinated?
every person who had Covid is equal to vaxed. Can we count those too?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
A handful of states and the CDC have just changed their guidance asking vaccinated people to wear masks. The clear message here is that they don't think the vaccines work. They just can't say that. It is what it is (or is not!) Best of luck to you.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
J.B.Katz
4th and Inches said:

J.B.Katz said:

Doc Holliday said:

Are you vaccinated?
No, b/c that's not true. https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/do-i-need-a-vaccine-if-i-had-covid
J.B.Katz
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

A handful of states and the CDC have just changed their guidance asking vaccinated people to wear masks. The clear message here is that they don't think the vaccines work. They just can't say that. It is what it is (or is not!) Best of luck to you.
Stats demonstrating that well over 90% of ppl in ICUs/COVID deaths are unvaccinated are clear proof that this statement is not true.
4th and Inches
J.B.Katz said:

4th and Inches said:

J.B.Katz said:

Doc Holliday said:

Are you vaccinated?
No, b/c that's not true. https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/do-i-need-a-vaccine-if-i-had-covid
yes it is why do you think it takes a couple weeks for vax to be effective. Your body has to create the antibodies and the B cells just like fighting the real thing.

At this point, re-infection rate is almost non existent so once you had it, you have had it. So far this doesnt appear to be a reoccuring thing like the flu. We will see what happens as the 3 variants spread out globally but People who had SARS 15 years ago still have immunity properties in the blood that helped them when they encountered SARS COVID 2.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/04/previous-covid-19-may-cut-risk-reinfection-84
4th and Inches
J.B.Katz said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Stats demonstrating that well over 90% of ppl in ICUs/COVID deaths are unvaccinated are clear proof that this statement is not true.
which a very different picture from UK which half of covid deaths were partial/fully vaxed according to their technical brief 16.

Vax works alot better if you cross the atlantic?
Forest Bueller_bf
J.B.Katz said:

I would like to see the numbers for vaccinated adults aged 25+. Lots of under 18 year olds will never get vaccinated, which skews the percentage. Nearly everybody I am around, besides a couple of family members have taken the shot.

Unfortunately Covid seems to be a moving target, it is figured out, it mutates, then it becomes readily transmitted even by people who have both shots, at least according to California Doctors I heard quoted on a local Sacramento broadcast.

But you talk of snarky comebacks, this quote, "It goes beyond just putting us at risk," he said. "People with privilege are refusing the vaccine, and it's affecting our economy and perpetuating the cycle."

Let me tell you in the real world, it's poor people and people with little resources who are refusing the shot because of mistrust. Not people of "privilege" as the commentator said.

It's these absolute bull**** type comments that will always make this Covid debate untenable. There is no attempt at reconcilliation, just snark. The few people I know who haven't taken it mean no harm, are really good people, better than most of us on these boards, they simply have hesitation, fear, worry of the unknown, fear of the needle etc. Calling them snarky names is of no account.
Forest Bueller_bf
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

What they know by the data and research is that fully vaccinated people spread the virus. Fully vaccinated don't on average have as severe a case of the illness though.

It is very likely vaccinated people who don't wear a mask in public and have a nominal case or case with no actual symptom are pretty big spreaders right now.

Thus the CDC recommendation for them to put the masks back on indoors.
Oldbear83
The problems I see in this issue are these:

1. The problem is complex, not binary
2. As J.B. observed, some folks just want to complain, not discuss. But that includes many on his side who simply want to bully people for decisions they do not like
3. Both parties continue to politicize the question

Not sure if a real conversation can be had here on this topic.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
whiterock
J.B.Katz said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

you have misapplied a true facts.

Vaccines are doing a very good job of preventing serious illness, but they are not doing quite as good a job as hoped at preventing infection.
HuMcK
Same as the GOP opposition to insurance mandates, conservatives demand the right to medically freeload off the rest of us if they get sick.
Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

Same as the GOP opposition to insurance mandates, conservatives demand the right to medically freeload off the rest of us if they get sick.
How are they freeloading?

Data suggests it's not conservatives who are largely unvaccinated FYI.
HuMcK
Doc Holliday said:

HuMcK said:

That depends whether you consider Trump voters "conservative" or not I guess, because their is a clear disparity when you look at a map of who's vaccinated and who isn't.

So, are you vaccinated?
Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

Doc Holliday said:

HuMcK said:

That depends whether you consider Trump voters "conservative" or not I guess, because their is a clear disparity when you look at a map of who's vaccinated and who isn't.

So, are you vaccinated?
Show your data.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographic

Correlated to race/voting: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/10/26/what-the-2020-electorate-looks-like-by-party-race-and-ethnicity-age-education-and-religion/
Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
What a coincidence!

Whiskey Pete
Jacques Strap said:

What a coincidence!

This one too:

HuMcK
That is what astroturfing misinformation looks like.

Top left in the pic is a tweet by a real ER Doc, the rest are right wing trolls copy/pasting to purposefully set up the exact narrative you're falling for now. Look at their handles, one of them is even a "groyper" (i.e. white nationalist). I picked 3 random accounts to look at (not the "groyper" one), couldn't actually find the screenshotted tweets but they still acknowledged them (as if it's a joke), and they are all Trump loving trolls spreading misinformation on purpose.
HuMcK
Neither of those has anything to do with a partisan breakdown of vaccination rates, the second link is even from October 2020 (?).

This one does though:
Quote:

While the share of the total population that is fully vaccinated has increased for both county groups, it has increased faster in counties that voted for Biden, resulting in a widening gap. Three months ago, as of April 22, the average vaccination rate in counties that voted for Trump was 20.6% compared to 22.8% in Biden counties, yielding a relatively small gap of 2.2 percentage points. By May 11, the gap had increased to 6.5% and by July 6, 11.7%, with the average vaccination rate in Trump counties at 35% compared to 46.7% in Biden counties.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/the-red-blue-divide-in-covid-19-vaccination-rates-is-growing/

But anyway, are you vaccinated?
HuMcK
Further evidence, this is one of the accounts in your pic.

And this is why they did it, because they're trolls.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
There is no way a poster as smart as Rawhide would fall for something like this.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Mothra
J.B.Katz said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Unless it's a woman who wants an abortion or to use a form of contraception you consider an "abortafacient."

Conservatives have no problem mandating healthcare choices. They just won't mandate the one that would help ensure our recovery from the pandemic.

No surprise jinx is too Intellectually dishonest to note the key distinction between abortion and forced vaccination. Only one involves ending a life.

The idea that abortion is a medical decision is humorous.
muddybrazos
HuMcK said:

That is what astroturfing misinformation looks like.

Top left in the pic is a tweet by a real ER Doc, the rest are right wing trolls copy/pasting to purposefully set up the exact narrative you're falling for now. Look at their handles, one of them is even a "groyper" (i.e. white nationalist). I picked 3 random accounts to look at (not the "groyper" one), couldn't actually find the screenshotted tweets but they still acknowledged them (as if it's a joke), and they are all Trump loving trolls spreading misinformation on purpose.
Thanks, I follow all based groypers so will have to add that one.
Whiskey Pete
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

There is no way a poster as smart as Rawhide would fall for something like this.
Kind of like how y'all have fallen for the russian collusion hoax and that 1/6 was a real insurrection or that the summer of destruction was nothing more than peaceful protests or that that the hunter laptop story was faked and needed to suppressed? And then my favorite, that Trump told people to drink bleach.

It's not like we've ever seen the media parroting the message of their overlords before:

Try again, princess.

Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

Neither of those has anything to do with a partisan breakdown of vaccination rates, the second link is even from October 2020 (?).

This one does though:
Quote:

While the share of the total population that is fully vaccinated has increased for both county groups, it has increased faster in counties that voted for Biden, resulting in a widening gap. Three months ago, as of April 22, the average vaccination rate in counties that voted for Trump was 20.6% compared to 22.8% in Biden counties, yielding a relatively small gap of 2.2 percentage points. By May 11, the gap had increased to 6.5% and by July 6, 11.7%, with the average vaccination rate in Trump counties at 35% compared to 46.7% in Biden counties.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/the-red-blue-divide-in-covid-19-vaccination-rates-is-growing/

But anyway, are you vaccinated?
County based doesn't factor in voters for both candidates. Your study just assumes all people in each county are all voting for one candidate. That's bad statistics.

My data shows race based vaccinations, then I correlate race with votes.

Why are minorities not vaccinated as much as whites?
4th and Inches
HuMcK said:

sounds about right.. people always assume the poor freeloaders vote Republican
Doc Holliday
The surest way to work up a crusade in favor of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone. To be able to destroy with good conscience, to be able to behave badly and call your bad behavior 'righteous indignation' this is the height of psychological luxury, the most delicious of moral treats.

- Aldous Huxley
Canon
J.B.Katz said:

Doc Holliday said:

Are you vaccinated?

I am. I've had two different ones for travel.

I don't care what you do to your own body as long as you aren't hiring a doctor to murder your baby. It's not my business. Inject yourself with anything you'd like....or don't. I could not possibly care less.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.