If evolution truly created us, why

37,587 Views | 728 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Baylor3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't cockroaches, after 4+ billion years of evolving and improving, Gina a way to get off their back?
quash

Evolution is about survival. Cockroaches are a great example.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Whiskey Pete
quash said:

Absolutely. Took a long time, but cockroaches finally became politicians.
LIB,MR BEARS
Canines evolved to different canines, felines to different felines. That is life creating life.

How did space dust create life?
TWD 1974
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canines evolved to different canines, felines to different felines. That is life creating life.

As we are talking about eons and eons in the past, perhaps a little Sangria and the Doobie Brothers...
br53
TWD 74 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

As we are talking about eons and eons in the past, perhaps a little Sangria and the Doobie Brothers...
Perhaps a Doobie and the Doobie Brothers?
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

There are a variety of theories; evolution is not one of them. Evolution is about adaptive change after life came about. Cats and dogs do not create new life, they create new forms of cats and dogs, mostly with human input.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

There are a variety of theories; evolution is not one of them. Evolution is about adaptive change after life came about. Cats and dogs do not create new life, they create new forms of cats and dogs, mostly with human input.

Wow! You and I agree
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Americans should no longer be allowed to reproduce. We have become way too stupid!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Oldbear83
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Americans should no longer be allowed to reproduce. We have become way too stupid!
Well, that depends on who you call "Americans".

There are a lot of people who never wanted to live in a nation defined by our Constitution.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
TWD 1974
Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

There are a lot of people who never wanted to live in a nation defined by our Constitution.
Aside from terrorists, brainwashed to hate everything American, I can't think of whom you may be referring to. First of all, there are people that may say they hate or love everything about something they in fact know nothing about. I would propose we confine our consideration to people who have actually read the US Constitution at least once.

There may be one group of Americans who have had a legitimate complaint about the document. I mean, 3/5ths of a man is language that we have purged, but can still recognize as having been there. The people so identified, however-- slaves and their descendants--have constantly affirmed from the time of Frederick Douglas onward their devotion to the Constitution, longing as they have to be granted the same liberties and freedoms mentioned there.

Americans of all political persuasions are comfortable with the Constitution. We may complain about some things -- disagree about how it is interpreted, and sometimes call for new amendments--this is hardly contempt for the old document, but the very expression of the political freedom the document allows. Americans in fact are so comfortable we forget its there. Just try taking it away from us, though...
Oldbear83
"Just try taking it away from us, though..."

By things like, hmmm, unelected officials shutting down the economy, individual politicians declaring churches may not hold services, courts are denied the exercise of cases by a Governor's decree, and so on?

Far too many people allowed those things to happen without complaint.
SSadler
quash said:

Something had to level down over time. How else could the floors around men's bathroom urinals get cleaned?
TWD 1974
Oldbear83 said:

By things like, hmmm, unelected officials shutting down the economy, individual politicians declaring churches may not hold services, courts are denied the exercise of cases by a Governor's decree, and so on?

All of the actions above are action of State officials. What each state does regarding their elections, health emergencies, etc. are not the normal business of the Federal Government. What the US Constitution does allow for ? US Courts may be called upon when the states are deemed to interfere unnecessarily with individuals rights as guaranteed by the Constitution.
A lot of folks are mad at Governors for either following CDC guidelines or ignoring them. One could argue that we might have been better off if we were moving in the same direction... as that might require us to go full out John Adams, giving all power to the Federal, I prefer the present system.
Oldbear83
TWD 74 said:

Oldbear83 said:

All of the actions above are action of State officials. What each state does regarding their elections, health emergencies, etc. are not the normal business of the Federal Government. What the US Constitution does allow for ? US Courts may be called upon when the states are deemed to interfere unnecessarily with individuals rights as guaranteed by the Constitution.
A lot of folks are mad at Governors for either following CDC guidelines or ignoring them. One could argue that we might have been better off if we were moving in the same direction... as that might require us to go full out John Adams, giving all power to the Federal, I prefer the present system.
Just do as you are told.

I seem to recall a few men, names like Paine, Webster, and such, who differed with the idea that we should be sheep ruled by wolves.
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Star dust. All of the matter of you're composed of comes from elements, and produced from stars and super novas.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Wow! You and I agree

I don't think so. You said life created life and I said they do not.

Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Star dust. All of the matter of you're composed of comes from elements, and produced from stars and super novas.
Sounds like you believe David Bowie created the universe ...
TWD 1974
Oldbear83 said:

TWD 74 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Just do as you are told.

I seem to recall a few men, names like Paine, Webster, and such, who differed with the idea that we should be sheep ruled by wolves.
See Webster's response to John Calhoun,

But I do not admit that, under the Constitution and in conformity with it, there is any mode in which a state government, as a member of the Union, can interfere and stop the progress of the general government, by force of her own laws, under any circumstance whatever. ... This absurdity (for it seems no less) arises from a misconception as to the origin of this government and its true character. It is, sir, the people's Constitution, the people's government, made for the people, made by the people, and answerable to the people. The people of the United States have declared that this Constitution shall be the supreme law. We must either admit the proposition or dispute their authority. The states are, unquestionably, sovereign, so far as their sovereignty is not affected by this supreme law. But the state legislatures, as political bodies, however sovereign, are yet not sovereign over the people. So far as the people have given power to the general government, so far the grant is unquestionably good, and the government holds of the people and not of the state governments. We are all agents of the same supreme power, the people. The general government and the state governments derive their authority from the same source. Neither can, in relation to the other, be called primary, though one is definite and restricted, and the other general and residuary. The national government possesses those powers, which it can be shown the people have conferred on it, and no more. All the rest belongs to the state governments, or to the people themselves. So far as the people have restrained state sovereignty, by the expression of their will, in the Constitution of the United States, so far, it must be admitted, state sovereignty is effectually controlled.
Doc Holliday
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Where did star dust come from? What created or caused the singularity?

Can you take absolute nothingness and things just start existing in a certain manner on their own?
BylrFan
They have flying roaches now, scary stuff
MT_Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Except for when animals that weren't canines and weren't felines evolved into both canines and felines. Along with bears, raccoons, and assorted other carnivores.
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Wow! You and I agree

I don't think so. You said life created life and I said they do not.

beget? give rise to; bring about.
MT_Bear
Baylor3216 said:

Can't cockroaches, after 4+ billion years of evolving and improving, find a way to get off their back?

Cockroaches are only 200-300 million years old, give 'em some time.

*Fixed what I assumed was a typo in your question
LIB,MR BEARS
Is single-cell life irreducibly complex? If not, explain how it came into being. If so, explain how it came into being.
Proud 1992 Alum
TWD 74 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Aside from terrorists, brainwashed to hate everything American, I can't think of whom you may be referring to. First of all, there are people that may say they hate or love everything about something they in fact know nothing about. I would propose we confine our consideration to people who have actually read the US Constitution at least once.

There may be one group of Americans who have had a legitimate complaint about the document. I mean, 3/5ths of a man is language that we have purged, but can still recognize as having been there. The people so identified, however-- slaves and their descendants--have constantly affirmed from the time of Frederick Douglas onward their devotion to the Constitution, longing as they have to be granted the same liberties and freedoms mentioned there.

Americans of all political persuasions are comfortable with the Constitution. We may complain about some things -- disagree about how it is interpreted, and sometimes call for new amendments--this is hardly contempt for the old document, but the very expression of the political freedom the document allows. Americans in fact are so comfortable we forget its there. Just try taking it away from us, though...

Regarding the 3/5ths compromise, this quote from Frederick Douglass is relevant.

"But giving the provisions the very worse construction, what does it amount to? I answer It is a downright disability laid upon the slaveholding States; one which deprives those States of two-fifths of their natural basis of representation. A black man in a free State is worth just two-fifths more than a black man in a slave State, as a basis of political power under the Constitution. Therefore, instead of encouraging slavery, the Constitution encourages freedom by giving an increase of "two-fifths" of political power to free over slave States. So much for the three-fifths clause; taking it at is worst, it still leans to freedom, not slavery; for, be it remembered that the Constitution nowhere forbids a coloured man to vote."
Doc Holliday
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Is single-cell life irreducibly complex? If not, explain how it came into being. If so, explain how it came into being.
Nucleotides bonded together to make the first RNAs and there's no way something wasn't driving that to achieve a goal as opposed to a random process.
MT_Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Are you asking me, or someone else? If me, no, a cell is not irreducibly complex, nor do I think most hardcore Creationists (who are the only people I know to frequently use that term) would say it is, as it's easily reducible (functional in some way without all of its components).

I think if you want to discuss the evolution of cells, you must start by acknowledging that cells themselves have undergone a tremendous amount of evolution; the common animal cell today is vastly different from the first "cell" on the planet. But the components that make up simple cells are not particularly difficult to come by on a wet, warm-ish planet. For example, one extremely important component of any cell is a partitioning membrane that separates the external environment from the internal environment. Phospholipids readily assemble into such closed membranes because of the difference in the hydrophobic and hydrophilic ends of their molecular structure. That membrane is the beginning of one component of a cell, and one of the most important.

A different, more rigorous argument for "irreducible complexity" has long been single components of many bacterial cells, like mitochondria or flagella. The gist of that argument, greatly simplified for the sake of being succinct, is that the various components are all necessary at the same time to form a functional mitochondrion or flagellum, and without any one, the mitochondrion/ flagellum does not function. The error is to assume that those various components are only useful in that specific structure, which is not the case. Those components are readily use by other parts of a cell or by different cells for different purposes, and were repurposed to form the structure we're discussing. This is a common theme in evolution - structures being "repurposed." In a perhaps overly simple example, you might think of how the same set of limb and finger bones can be "repurposed" from a grasping hand into a fin or wing. A better example is how particular jaw bones of early synapsids were repurposed into the tiny bones of the mammalian inner ear.

Anyways, earlier you said "felines evolved to different felines, canines evolved to different canines." That's true. They both also evolved from animals that were neither feline nor canine. Do you accept this, or no? If no, what is the data you're relying on to come to that conclusion?

MT_Bear
Doc Holliday said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Nucleotides bonded together to make the first RNAs and there's no way something wasn't driving that to achieve a goal as opposed to a random process.
Perhaps I'm misreading your intent here, but evolution is by no means random. Perhaps that's what you were saying though.
Doc Holliday
MT_Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Perhaps I'm misreading your intent here, but evolution is by no means random. Perhaps that's what you were saying though.
I'm saying abiogenesis (self-replication, self-assembly, autocatalysis, etc.) didn't just randomly happen.

Scientists have no explanation of what caused these processes.
LIB,MR BEARS
MT_Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Are you asking me, or someone else? If me, no, a cell is not irreducibly complex, nor do I think most hardcore Creationists (who are the only people I know to frequently use that term) would say it is, as it's easily reducible (functional in some way without all of its components).

I think if you want to discuss the evolution of cells, you must start by acknowledging that cells themselves have undergone a tremendous amount of evolution; the common animal cell today is vastly different from the first "cell" on the planet. But the components that make up simple cells are not particularly difficult to come by on a wet, warm-ish planet. For example, one extremely important component of any cell is a partitioning membrane that separates the external environment from the internal environment. Phospholipids readily assemble into such closed membranes because of the difference in the hydrophobic and hydrophilic ends of their molecular structure. That membrane is the beginning of one component of a cell, and one of the most important.

A different, more rigorous argument for "irreducible complexity" has long been single components of many bacterial cells, like mitochondria or flagella. The gist of that argument, greatly simplified for the sake of being succinct, is that the various components are all necessary at the same time to form a functional mitochondrion or flagellum, and without any one, the mitochondrion/ flagellum does not function. The error is to assume that those various components are only useful in that specific structure, which is not the case. Those components are readily use by other parts of a cell or by different cells for different purposes, and were repurposed to form the structure we're discussing. This is a common theme in evolution - structures being "repurposed." In a perhaps overly simple example, you might think of how the same set of limb and finger bones can be "repurposed" from a grasping hand into a fin or wing. A better example is how particular jaw bones of early synapsids were repurposed into the tiny bones of the mammalian inner ear.

Anyways, earlier you said "felines evolved to different felines, canines evolved to different canines." That's true. They both also evolved from animals that were neither feline nor canine. Do you accept this, or no? If no, what is the data you're relying on to come to that conclusion?

"canine to canine" is probably to narrow. How about animal life from animal life; Plant life from plant life; but life from non-life???
MT_Bear
Doc Holliday said:

MT_Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I'm saying abiogenesis (self-replication, self-assembly, autocatalysis, etc.) didn't just randomly happen.

Scientists have no explanation of what caused these processes.
Depends on what you mean here. No, the interaction of molecules that allowed for self-assembly, self-replication, etc. to arise was not a random process, because chemistry is not random.

Scientists have quite a few hypotheses regarding the beginning of self-replication, self-assembly, etc. So to say they have "no explanation" is dishonest. If by no explanation you mean no widely agreed-upon mechanistic theory, then I completely agree. This is largely because the fossil record simply fails at some point; it gets worse and worse 1) the further back in time you go and 2) the more you're looking for fossils devoid of any mineralized components. Thus the earliest cells will never, ever be found within the fossil record, leading us to use biochemical signatures and laboratory experiments to work out how they arose.

However, the problem is when people indicate that recognizing the difficulty of studying any particular aspect of life history (or cosmology, or whatever) relates in any way to the presence of God. Relying on a god of the gaps to bolster one's faith is a wager doomed to fail over and over and over again as history progresses. I'm not saying that applies to you, by the way; I'm mentioning it only because it does seem to be something that several on the board cling to.
MT_Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

"canine to canine" is probably to narrow. How about animal life from animal life; Plant life from plant life; but life from non-life???
To be clear then, are you indicating that you accept all modern animals evolving from one common ancestor and all modern plants likewise evolving from one common ancestor? And then are you saying that the only "jump" that you have trouble with is the progression from chemistry into living cells?
LIB,MR BEARS
MT_Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

To be clear then, are you indicating that you accept all modern animals evolving from one common ancestor and all modern plants likewise evolving from one common ancestor? And then are you saying that the only "jump" that you have trouble with is the progression from chemistry into living cells?
i don't have the education to discuss at a higher level. I am saying I don't see design without a designer. I don't see densely packed, intricate, detailed data (dna), without an intelligent being causing, assembling, and putting into motion those things creating life.

I'm also not saying you are opposing that because I've not seen you say that as other posters have. Maybe I missed it and you have. I don't know.
MT_Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

MT_Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

i don't have the education to discuss at a higher level. I am saying I don't see design without a designer. I don't see densely packed, intricate, detailed data (dna), without an intelligent being causing, assembling, and putting into motion those things creating life.

I'm also not saying you are opposing that because I've not seen you say that as other posters have. Maybe I missed it and you have. I don't know.
Fair enough. I have two quick thoughts:

1) What someone not well-studied in biology would call "design" may not look so designed once you study it further. As an example, consider dolphin DNA. They carry several hundred non-functional genes encoding structures which enable mammals to smell things in the air, but which are useless for an animal living underwater. The dolphins don't use these genes - the genes are vestigial. Dolphins carry these vestigial genes because they evolved from animals that walked on land and, of course, smelled odorants in the air.

2) Perhaps more importantly for the discussion, I don't think it "matters" in some sense whether you believe life evolved with or without a higher creator. For the record, I have never had the least bit of trouble "reconciling" Biblical truths with scientific truths. I hesitate to use the word reconcile, as it implies some sort of inherent conflict, which I do not see as even existing in the first place. The reason I think the conversation is important is that I personally know people who do see conflict, and they then "choose" a side, and use that choice as a means to blindly ignore not just evolutionary biology, but other scientific truths as well. That, I think, leads to many problems (not to mention much wasted energy).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.