White House chatter: lockdowns for delta variant all but a done deal.

2,432 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Jacques Strap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Senior Editor, @HumanEvents.

Jacques Strap
WAPO: The war has changed': Internal CDC document urges new messaging, warns delta infections likely more severe

AXIOS: Internal CDC presentation warns: "The war has changed"

Unpublished research indicates that the Delta variant causes more severe illness and spreads as easily as chickenpox, and that vaccinated people may transmit the strain as easily as those who are unvaccinated, according to an internal CDC presentation obtained by WashPost.

Why it matters: The data played a key role in the CDC's decision to tell vaccinated people to resume masking indoors, with the presentation calling on health officials to "acknowledge the war has changed," The Post reports.

Zoom in: The document affirms that the vaccines provide substantial protection against serious illness and death, but warns that mild breakthrough cases may be more common than previously thought.

• It stresses the daunting "communication challenges" that this new phase could bring, as the agency looks to convince a skeptical public of the effectiveness of the vaccines while moving the "goal posts of success in full public view," The Post writes.

• CDC Director Rochelle Walensky briefed members of Congress on much of the data Thursday, and the agency is expected to release it in full on Friday.

Jacques Strap
OP tweet could have been leaked to as a trial balloon to test the waters or maybe so WH could come out and deny it to look moderate. OTOH maybe the teacher unions are putting the pressure on the WH to keep schools closed.

White House won't rule out future lockdowns, school closures if CDC says so
HuMcK
Nobody in this White house is leaking anything to Jack Posobiec of all people. Based on his track record of getting things right, I don't think he got many actual leaks from the last White House either. The dude is a troll, like a full on pizza-gate promoting propaganda pusher, his only job is to rile people up like those copy/paste trolls from a couple days ago. Stop falling for right-wing twitter trolls.
Porteroso
The good thing is that even though the delta variant is the most contagious so far, we've become much better at treating covid cases in hospitals. I saw a UK study that had a 1.9% death rate to the alpha variant, and just a .2% death rate to the delta variant. The reason is open to interpretation, but it's great news no matter how you spin it.

The delta variant will obviously hit the unvaccinated the hardest.
Jacques Strap
Porteroso said:

The good thing is that even though the delta variant is the most contagious so far, we've become much better at treating covid cases in hospitals. I saw a UK study that had a 1.9% death rate to the alpha variant, and just a .2% death rate to the delta variant. The reason is open to interpretation, but it's great news no matter how you spin it.

Yep. It seems more contagious but less dangerous.It may not be less dangerous but just seem that way since (1) MDs have learned a lot about what to do and what not to do, (2) Vaccines, and (3) many of the most vulnerable have already succumbed.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see the slides leaked to the WAPO scroll down to "read the presentation" at the link below. The slides may also be on WAPO also but you may need a sub.

https://www.axios.com/cdc-delta-variant-masking-b2b12c7a-d52f-4d45-84e1-02ae8a233438.html
Malbec
You can't justify extending the stimulus unless you reinstate the lock-downs. I hope the printing presses are running solar. I'm not sure this is the green society the people thought they were getting.
BellCountyBear
Porteroso said:

Why did they skip beta and gamma? Learn the Greek alphabet you morons!
Sam Lowry
BellCountyBear said:

Porteroso said:

Beta and Gamma are the South African and Brazilian variants.
D. C. Bear
Get vaccinated, get back to living.
Wrecks Quan Dough
D. C. Bear said:

Never stopped my life. Don't need a vaccine to go about my business.
D. C. Bear
Carlos Cruz said:

D. C. Bear said:

When a bunch of things were closed, there was a lot of business we were not able to do.
Wrecks Quan Dough
D. C. Bear said:

Carlos Cruz said:

D. C. Bear said:

When a bunch of things were closed, there was a lot of business we were not able to do.

Yes, are you willing to let your elected officials hold you hostage again?
D. C. Bear
Malbec said:

You can't justify extending the stimulus unless you reinstate the lock-downs. I hope the printing presses are running solar. I'm not sure this is the green society the people thought they were getting.

We need more "stimulus" like a hole in the head.
Porteroso
BellCountyBear said:

Porteroso said:

There are a ton of variants. Beta is the most deadly variant If I recall correctly.
Coke Bear
Do lock downs really prevent anything? I get it ... let's not inundate the hospitals all at once. What did they accomplish last time other than killing an economy and putting millions out of work.

Get the vaccine or don't. Wear the mask or don't. Your choice. But don't shut down society for variant that may not be as deadly as the previous years.

We have to move forward.
Jacques Strap
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.