Another reason Californians keep running out of the state

1,585 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From an AP story

"At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market."

Who can live in a state without bacon?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
LIB,MR BEARS said:

From an AP story

"At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market."

I read in that article that Californians consume 15 percent of the nation's bacon. I gotta think there will be a huge
backlash. Just another reason for Californian's to leave.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Osodecentx
LIB,MR BEARS said:

From an AP story

Systemic racism? From the link

Kim, who is Korean-American, said she's especially worried for small restaurants whose customers can't afford big price increases and that specialize in Asian and Hispanic dishes that typically include pork.

"You know, I work and live with a lot of Asian and Hispanic populations in the city and their diet consists of pork. Pork is huge," Kim said. "It's almost like bread and butter."
Porteroso
They overwhelmingly voted for it.... And it's called the free market? If there is little supply, someone will be more than happy to charge a ton of money for compliant bacon.

If you guys think California isn't worth living in, I feel bad for you. It's ridiculously beautiful.
quash
This is going to affect more than California, as California cannot supply it's own pork.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

This is going to affect more than California, as California cannot supply it's own pork.

It will have an impact on Iowa hog farmers, increasing their cost which will then be passed on to all of us.
Malbec
quash said:

I'm willing to do my part by putting more bacon on more of everything.
Osodecentx
quash said:

They're substituting sushi and tofu for the bacon and sausage with eggs over easy
muddybrazos
Porteroso said:

They overwhelmingly voted for it.... And it's called the free market? If there is little supply, someone will be more than happy to charge a ton of money for compliant bacon.

If you guys think California isn't worth living in, I feel bad for you. It's ridiculously beautiful.
Nobody said California isn't beautiful but it is not worth what it costs to live there and I don't like the majority of the people there.
EatMoreSalmon
Osodecentx said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

From an AP story

Systemic racism? From the link

Kim, who is Korean-American, said she's especially worried for small restaurants whose customers can't afford big price increases and that specialize in Asian and Hispanic dishes that typically include pork.

"You know, I work and live with a lot of Asian and Hispanic populations in the city and their diet consists of pork. Pork is huge," Kim said. "It's almost like bread and butter."
Sweet n sour tuna it is..... with a donation to dolphin rehab, though.
LIB,MR BEARS
Jan 18, 2022
LA Times
Lost and Found

Family pet missing
Pot Bellied pig
Answers to the name of Crispy
Jack Bauer
Governor Larry Elder??

Mothra
Porteroso said:

Nobody ever accused Californians of being particularly bright. And voting to outlaw something is not a free market principle. Free market would be allowing the people to vote with their pocket. Those who want expensive bacon could certainly pay more if they wanted.

California is beautiful. Lived there for a couple of years after Baylor. But it's basically impossible to live in the major cities unless you're very wealthy or willing to live like a pauper. I had three jobs at one point just to pay for a 1000 square foot house I purchased with 2 others. And that was 20 years ago.

There's a reason people and businesses are leaving there in droves. Liberal policies have ruined the state.
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

It will have an impact on Iowa hog farmers, increasing their cost which will then be passed on to all of us.

Yes, that is what I said
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Yes, that is what I said

yes , you did.

See, you made a statement. I fleshed it out some. It was almost as if there were a discussion occurring.

Not everything is an argument.

D. C. Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

They don't have to sell to California.
I will sacrifice and eat 15 percent more bacon.
Buddha Bear
Porteroso said:

Just moved here a couple of months ago. It's mostly awesome.
BellCountyBear
Buddha Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Just moved here a couple of months ago. It's mostly awesome.
You must really like swimming upstream.
LIB,MR BEARS
D. C. Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Great attitude. Way to be a team player. I hope I can make the team.
Canada2017
Porteroso said:

The entire southern part of California is encased in a black smog 75% of the time .

midgett
Interesting article:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/house-hunting-fort-worth-wealthy-californian/
Robert Wilson
Porteroso said:

That's not free market - government intervention - exactly the opposite.

California is beautiful with outstanding weather. That's the only reason it hasn't emptied out even faster. Given all of its natural advantages, it's incredible that so many people are leaving. Testament to how badly it's being run.
quash
Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

California is beautiful with outstanding weather. That's the only reason it hasn't emptied out even faster. Given all of its natural advantages, it's incredible that so many people are leaving. Testament to how badly it's being run.

Exactly the opposite. Very, very little regulation results in zero cost impact. This one will require that pigs get more room. That's not something most pork producers can do for free.
Osodecentx
D. C. Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

The Christians response
I'll follow your example
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

Robert Wilson said:

Porteroso said:

Exactly the opposite. Very, very little regulation results in zero cost impact. This one will require that pigs get more room. That's not something most pork producers can do for free.

The pigs will be happier as they go to the slaughter house.

Warm fuzzy replacing hot crispy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.