Fredricksburg

2,802 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Spent the day in Fredericksburg. Took in the Museum of the War in the Pacific.

Just awesome, highly recommend it.

Wonder if we could respond to that sort of challenge today.
Mothra
Booray said:

Agreed, it's awesome.

And sadly, I fear the answer to your question is a definitive "no." We've become a weak lot of people - more concerned with equality and rooting out bogeyman like white supremacy in our military than preparedness.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Booray said:

Go back to sleep. We should all be happy that government, like man himself, is intrinsically good. That is why we want government to be enlarged, yes?
Robert Wilson
Booray said:

Great town. Great museum.

Doubt it - that required a lot of toxic masculinity.
Canada2017
Booray said:

Cute town.

Nice Museum .

Not a chance in hell.

My Dad was 18 years old on the USS Selfridge December 7th 1941....Pearl Harbor. Over 2100 dead Americans in a couple of hours.

He then saw constant combat including the Battle of Savo Island where the Japanese sank 3 American heavy cruisers and one Australian heavy cruiser in a single night .

Almost 1500 dead in that one night . Dad and his shipmates spent hours the next morning pulling American corpses out of the ocean while sharks were attempting to eat them .

Years later I asked my Dad if those kinds of casualties caused morale to crash on his ship.

He said " Hell no, we enlisted boys were all young and poor.....products of the Great Depression. We figured life was supposed to suck . "

jupiter
Quote:

Prepare Now for War in the Pacific

U.S. Naval Institute
By: Rep. Mike Gallagher
July 22, 2021

When I served in the Marine Corps, I spent most of my time as far away from ships as possible in the middle of the Iraqi desert and as a Middle East expert. In what might have been the only successful pivot in recent U.S. foreign policy, since entering Congress, I have dedicated much of my focus to maritime security in the Indo-Pacific.

Since coming to Congress, I have spent a good deal of time speaking and writing on naval topics. I've had the privilege of speaking to the Surface Navy Association, CSIS, and the Naval Institute, and writing for War On the Rocks, for example. In these conversations, I have come to realize that we can no longer afford just to preach to the sea power "choir." As Admiral Phil Davidson, the former Commander, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, recently warned, we may have six years or less before the People's Republic of China (PRC) takes action against Taiwan. Some have taken to calling this the "Davidson window." Other senior leaders, including Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Michael Gilday and Commandant of the Marine Corps General David Berger, agree with his assessment. Think about that for a minute. The United States may only have a few years to prepare for a war that could decide the course of the remainder of this century.

https://gallagher.house.gov/media/columns/prepare-now-war-pacific
Canada2017
jupiter said:

Quote:

Prepare Now for War in the Pacific

U.S. Naval Institute
By: Rep. Mike Gallagher
July 22, 2021

When I served in the Marine Corps, I spent most of my time as far away from ships as possible in the middle of the Iraqi desert and as a Middle East expert. In what might have been the only successful pivot in recent U.S. foreign policy, since entering Congress, I have dedicated much of my focus to maritime security in the Indo-Pacific.

Since coming to Congress, I have spent a good deal of time speaking and writing on naval topics. I've had the privilege of speaking to the Surface Navy Association, CSIS, and the Naval Institute, and writing for War On the Rocks, for example. In these conversations, I have come to realize that we can no longer afford just to preach to the sea power "choir." As Admiral Phil Davidson, the former Commander, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, recently warned, we may have six years or less before the People's Republic of China (PRC) takes action against Taiwan. Some have taken to calling this the "Davidson window." Other senior leaders, including Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Michael Gilday and Commandant of the Marine Corps General David Berger, agree with his assessment. Think about that for a minute. The United States may only have a few years to prepare for a war that could decide the course of the remainder of this century.

https://gallagher.house.gov/media/columns/prepare-now-war-pacific

The United States stands no chance in a war with China in that part of the world .

And the American people would NEVER support US involvement in a war over Taiwan .

Far smarter to let Taiwan ...( and Japan for that matter ) defend themselves .

Mitch Blood Green
Booray said:

I need to do that. I saw the U-505 last week. (The German sub we captured) It was amazing! I'm a big fan of what those dudes (WWII vets) did.
C. Jordan
Booray said:

I think we could. We were deeply divided in 1941 about many things, including involvement in the war.

Pearl Harbor kind of brought things into clarity!

We think there was some magical time in the past when we were all together and united. We've known brief moments of that, like after 9/11. But by and large we've been in constant struggle with each other.
Canada2017
C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

I think we could. We were deeply divided in 1941 about many things, including involvement in the war.

We think there was some magical time in the past when we were all together and united. We've known brief moments of that, like after 9/11. But by and large we've been in constant struggle with each other.

Was true even during World War Two.

On his only visit home ( Los Angles ) during the war Dad was so disgusted with the attitudes of civilians he couldn't wait to return to his ship.

Told me the majority of civilians were totally clueless of the sacrifices men in the combat zones were making .
Canon
Canada2017 said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

On his only visit home ( Los Angles ) during the war Dad was so disgusted with the attitudes of civilians he couldn't wait to return to his ship.

Told me the majority of civilians were totally clueless of the sacrifices men in the combat zones were making .

By Vietnam, Walter Cronkite and his ilk had filled that ignorant void with a 'baby killer' narrative and was turning US victories like the Tet offensive into losses.
Wrecks Quan Dough
I have no idea how you fight a major war when you are flat broke.
Mothra
C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

It's not the deeply divided issue that concerns me. Of course a crisis can galvanize us.

It's the fact that most men of fighting age in the U.S. today are a bunch of feminine individuals. We are not a tough lot of people. We are instead a bunch of video game playing Starbucks sipping people who've had everything handed to us and are told we should hate our country. We can't even decide if we are male or female. Sure there are exceptions - especially the rural folk - but most young men have never known hardship the way the children of the depression knew hardship.

My grandad on my moms side was storming the beaches of Normandy at the age of 17. Got captured by the Germans a few months later abs spent two years in a German stalag.

The other grandad fought in the pacific. Got shrapnel in his leg in Iwo while trying to root out a well dug in group of Japs.

No way our men today have that kind of intestinal fortitude.
Florda_mike
Hill Country is a subtle gift from God

I was literally taught in elementary school that democrats were war doves and republicans war hawks. Self explanatory?

Somehow the doves beat the hawks in our USA and here we are 50-60 years later a sitting target as a giant war dove saying come and take us

The Booray's have defeated us. Ironic OP from a dove!
Robert Wilson
C. Jordan said:

Indeed. There is not that much stitching this country together. Absent moments of being galvanized by external threats, we've been in quite a bit of internal conflict most of the time. May require another major existential external threat to get us through this patch. Problem is I don't know that we've got the fortitude to deal with it.
HuMcK
I tried to take a pic in the museum but this Fat Man kept getting in the way...

C. Jordan
Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

It's not the deeply divided issue that concerns me. Of course a crisis can galvanize us.

It's the fact that most men of fighting age in the U.S. today are a bunch of feminine individuals. We are not a tough lot of people. We are instead a bunch of video game playing Starbucks sipping people who've had everything handed to us and are told we should hate our country. We can't even decide if we are male or female. Sure there are exceptions - especially the rural folk - but most young men have never known hardship the way the children of the depression knew hardship.

My grandad on my moms side was storming the beaches of Normandy at the age of 17. Got captured by the Germans a few months later abs spent two years in a German stalag.

The other grandad fought in the pacific. Got shrapnel in his leg in Iwo while trying to root out a well dug in group of Japs.

I understand what you're saying, but every generation has thought the younger generation of men were wimps.

Older men in the early 1940s would have said the exact thing you're saying about younger men today.
Florda_mike
C. Jordan said:

Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

Older men in the early 1940s would have said the exact thing you're saying about younger men today.

Well, yeah

No **** Sherlock!
C. Jordan
Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

By Vietnam, Walter Cronkite and his ilk had filled that ignorant void with a 'baby killer' narrative and was turning US victories like the Tet offensive into losses.
Obviously, you weren't alive at the time or weren't paying attention.

I watched Cronkite every night in those days. He was in an old time when news people just did the news. He didn't do an editorial against the war until pretty late in the war, after the disastrous Tet offensive.

Technically, the Tet offensive was a win in terms of a battle. But overall it was a loss because it showed that we were in a bigger mess than we had been told. You have to see it in the context of what Johnson and the military were telling us about that war. It was under control, we were winning, blah, blah, blah, and it was all lies.

Sadly, the press didn't do enough to oppose the war. Don't you know that EVERY U.S. president, from Kennedy to Nixon, knew the war was unwinnable. But they all lacked the political will to get out, except for Nixon. And he did it on the sly.
C. Jordan
Robert Wilson said:

C. Jordan said:

Indeed. There is not that much stitching this country together. Absent moments of being galvanized by external threats, we've been in quite a bit of internal conflict most of the time. May require another major existential external threat to get us through this patch. Problem is I don't know that we've got the fortitude to deal with it.
I'm concerned too. Part of the problem is that news networks and social media amplify our differences. When you poll people about their opinions on specific issues, you find that they're not far apart.

Sadly, polls show that the more people consume news, the more distorted their views of "the other side."
Forest Bueller_bf
C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

I actually agree with this. I have a young nephew and a young cousin in the Marines. I think they are outstanding and America would rally again.

The US really is suffering what all societies suffer from when it becomes too wealthy top to bottom. Even those on the bottom in the US are wealthy by world standards, if they are simply sane enough to apply for all the aid they qualify for. I have multiple insurance customers, haven't worked for years, younger than me, they don't suffer for anything. Have an Apt. with AC/Heat paid for, food, insurance, health insurance, cable/cell phone, car, even have some spending money, and they don't do jack, rich by worldwide standards. We have first world problems, when people that have it all again by worldwide standards, and are complain about not having enough.
Forest Bueller_bf
C. Jordan said:

Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

I understand what you're saying, but every generation has thought the younger generation of men were wimps.

Yea I agree, my kid is tough as hell. Though looking at him you wouldn't know it. Only 6' tall 165 lbs. much smaller than I was. But man that dude can roll you with Jujutsu or knock your ass out with a single punch, has accumulated 6 rifles now that he can assemble and disassemble quickly with ease, can camp out and survive without resources so long as a stream or tank with fish are nearby. Heck he can even bench 200+ lbs. If you were walking down the street and saw him with his floppy hair you would think, man I can kick his ass, until you took the first swing at him. Then he would do you like those wrestler boys did to the OU football players and be totally shocked with the asswhipping you were experiencing.

There are a bunch of kids like this, you just don't realize they are like that.

bularry
Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

what a load of horse****
Robert Wilson
C. Jordan said:

Robert Wilson said:

C. Jordan said:

I'm concerned too. Part of the problem is that news networks and social media amplify our differences. When you poll people about their opinions on specific issues, you find that they're not far apart.

Sadly, polls show that the more people consume news, the more distorted their views of "the other side."
Agree with that. Social media and 24/7 news cycles with polarized networks are killing the environment. Left to their own devices, in person people find common ground and get along well. We are just way down the rabbit hole right now re: social media and the media environment, and I don't see it turning around anytime soon.
Canada2017
Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

Unfortunately that is true .

All the generals in North Vietnam were devastated with their horrendous casualties resulting from their Tet offensive . They were also distraught that the vast majority of the South Vietnamese didn't rise up to support them .

Only when the communists began listening to the American media did they begin to believe they had 'won' a political victory.
Canada2017
bularry said:

Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

what a load of horse****

No it's not .

Just imagine the inevitable rioting if the US government reinstated the DRAFT for any reason .

There is not a single cause that even 65% of US military aged individuals would be willing to risk their lives for .
Florda_mike
Canada2017 said:

bularry said:

Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

what a load of horse****

No it's not .

Just imagine the inevitable rioting if the US government reinstated the DRAFT for any reason .

There is not a single cause that even 65% of US military aged individuals would be willing to risk their lives for .

If faced with potentially losing their cell phones, then you might get 65% to sign up?

Naaaawww, probably not
Forest Bueller_bf
Canada2017 said:

bularry said:

Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

what a load of horse****

No it's not .

It was the same back in the day. When my dad was scooped up right after college and sent overseas in WW2, there weren't many wanting to go to war.

Pearl Harbor being bombed and the ensuing media campaign changed the minds of many. Shoot they had Hitler parties on College campuses in the US in the late 30's very early 40's.

If say Russia bombed Manhattan and killed 25,000 I am going to bet a whole bunch of people would be woke out of their slumber.

The entirety of WW2 there were over 16,000,000 who served and over 400,000 who died. I think war now would be less ground war intensive so there would likely be less soldiers required. I believe out of 335 million people there are still enough people willing to serve that America would rally around a central cause.
STxBear81
I know several Naval pilots who do not think that way. They say China is immobile and not the threat the media makes out them out to be. That we are stationed better strategically.
Wrecks Quan Dough
BornAgain said:

I know several Naval pilots who do not think that way. They say China is immobile and not the threat the media makes out them out to be. That we are stationed better strategically.
But their biological warfare program is apparently top-notch.
Mothra
bularry said:

Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

what a load of horse****

Of course the lib is going to disagree with me.

Horse **** would describe the vast majority of your posts, lefty. You're an idiot.
Canada2017
BornAgain said:

Naturally naval aviators would fight....they are trained ( cocky ) professionals .

However the VAST majority of Americans would go absolutely berserk the moment they got their draft notices . A draft necessary with a full on war with China .

To be drafted away from their video games, Mother's cooking and neighborhood pot shops...........risking their lives to protect TAIWAN ?

Never going to happen.

Shakesbear
Booray said:

Moved to Fred in 1996 from Houston and have never looked back Got to attend the grand opening of the museum and hear from Papa Bush. I believe the ticket to get in is good for two days so you can actually get a chance to see everything it has. Truly remarkable to have a world class museum in a little town like Fred. Thankyou Adm. Nimitz
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Booray
Shakesbear said:

Booray said:

Moved to Fred in 1996 from Houston and have never looked back Got to attend the grand opening of the museum and hear from Papa Bush. I believe the ticket to get in is good for two days so you can actually get a chance to see everything it has. Truly remarkable to have a world class museum in a little town like Fred. Thankyou Adm. Nimitz
Really is world class. Nimitz was a remarkable man.

And I can see why you enjoy Fredericksburg. Countryside is gorgeous, particularly this year. Great restaurants and music. All the alcohol one would want to drink, in a variety of forms. Close to two big cities without the hassle.
Mothra
Shakesbear said:

Booray said:

My ancestors on my mom's side were a part of the first German families to settle in the area, and I have a relative that was the town's first mayor. Great, great, great grandad has the oldest plot in the old cemetery. Grew up going to family reunions there, and exploring the Willow City Loop (before everyone else knew about it). It's a special place for me and my family as well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.