Fredricksburg

2,765 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
spent a few weekends there this July. Love getting out there. Enjoyed drinks at Chase's - will try dinner next time. This bar/restaurant could fit in Austin or any hip city. Also ate at Granite House lounge - really enjoyed the apps and dinner.
jupiter

bear2be2
Florda_mike said:

Hill Country is a subtle gift from God

I was literally taught in elementary school that democrats were war doves and republicans war hawks. Self explanatory?

Somehow the doves beat the hawks in our USA and here we are 50-60 years later a sitting target as a giant war dove saying come and take us

The Booray's have defeated us. Ironic OP from a dove!
War is stupid and can rarely be justified on any sort of ethical basis. Fortunately, this is no longer a partisan issue. Libertarian-bent conservatives are every bit as anti-war as "the Boorays."

They, too, recognize that sending other people's kids to die for excess resources, money or to replace the leader of another sovereign nation with one more sympathetic to your causes is not only immoral, it's horribly ineffective and impractical in the long term. We're learning this in Afghanistan currently. After billions of dollars and thousands of lives, we've accomplished next to nothing.
bear2be2
Canada2017 said:

bularry said:

Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

Spent the day in Fredericksburg. Took in the Museum of the War in the Pacific.

Just awesome, highly recommend it.

Wonder if we could respond to that sort of challenge today.
I think we could. We were deeply divided in 1941 about many things, including involvement in the war.

Pearl Harbor kind of brought things into clarity!

We think there was some magical time in the past when we were all together and united. We've known brief moments of that, like after 9/11. But by and large we've been in constant struggle with each other.

It's not the deeply divided issue that concerns me. Of course a crisis can galvanize us.

It's the fact that most men of fighting age in the U.S. today are a bunch of feminine individuals. We are not a tough lot of people. We are instead a bunch of video game playing Starbucks sipping people who've had everything handed to us and are told we should hate our country. We can't even decide if we are male or female. Sure there are exceptions - especially the rural folk - but most young men have never known hardship the way the children of the depression knew hardship.

My grandad on my moms side was storming the beaches of Normandy at the age of 17. Got captured by the Germans a few months later abs spent two years in a German stalag.

The other grandad fought in the pacific. Got shrapnel in his leg in Iwo while trying to root out a well dug in group of Japs.

No way our men today have that kind of intestinal fortitude.
what a load of horse****

No it's not .

Just imagine the inevitable rioting if the US government reinstated the DRAFT for any reason .

There is not a single cause that even 65% of US military aged individuals would be willing to risk their lives for .
Can you blame the populace for that? Scant few of the international conflicts our government has put us in since World War II have had causes worth fighting/dying for. And Vietnam and the second Iraq War exposed how willing our government is lie to/manipulate us to manufacture support for unjustifiable conflicts.

It's not at all a bad thing that our population is more informed now and less trusting of our government where military action is concerned. A) That's the bed our government has made and B) It creates accountability that didn't exist when an appeal to blind patriotism was all that was needed to build support for bad wars. If you want to send our kids to war today, you better have a damn good reason that you can lay out honestly and articulate well.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

Canada2017 said:

bularry said:

Mothra said:

C. Jordan said:

Booray said:

Spent the day in Fredericksburg. Took in the Museum of the War in the Pacific.

Just awesome, highly recommend it.

Wonder if we could respond to that sort of challenge today.
I think we could. We were deeply divided in 1941 about many things, including involvement in the war.

Pearl Harbor kind of brought things into clarity!

We think there was some magical time in the past when we were all together and united. We've known brief moments of that, like after 9/11. But by and large we've been in constant struggle with each other.

It's not the deeply divided issue that concerns me. Of course a crisis can galvanize us.

It's the fact that most men of fighting age in the U.S. today are a bunch of feminine individuals. We are not a tough lot of people. We are instead a bunch of video game playing Starbucks sipping people who've had everything handed to us and are told we should hate our country. We can't even decide if we are male or female. Sure there are exceptions - especially the rural folk - but most young men have never known hardship the way the children of the depression knew hardship.

My grandad on my moms side was storming the beaches of Normandy at the age of 17. Got captured by the Germans a few months later abs spent two years in a German stalag.

The other grandad fought in the pacific. Got shrapnel in his leg in Iwo while trying to root out a well dug in group of Japs.

No way our men today have that kind of intestinal fortitude.
what a load of horse****

No it's not .

Just imagine the inevitable rioting if the US government reinstated the DRAFT for any reason .

There is not a single cause that even 65% of US military aged individuals would be willing to risk their lives for .
It's not at all a bad thing that our population is more informed now and less trusting of our government where military action is concerned.
Yep. Biden said there was no way our diplomats would be forced to be airlifted out of Kabul as they were Vietnam, and yet that's what just happened. Our government's ability to predict or effectively handle dynamic and complicated situations is pretty much nil. Now, if people could also understand that with respect to matters outside of warfare.
Booray
Florda_mike said:

I was literally taught in elementary school that democrats were war doves and republicans war hawks. Self explanatory?

Somehow the doves beat the hawks in our USA and here we are 50-60 years later a sitting target as a giant war dove saying come and take us

Lets see about irony. I served, did you?
Canon
Booray said:

Florda_mike said:

Lets see about irony. I served, did you?

So did Benedict Arnold....
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I did not serve but am thankful to those that did.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.