GOP is concealing deaths from COVID

3,411 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sam Lowry
J.B.Katz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The official GOP announcement conveniently omits the cause of Scott Apley's death.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/05/texas-gop-leader-antimask-antivax-dies-covid/

A leader of the Texas Republican Party hopped on Facebook in May to post about a "mask burning" party 900 miles away in Cincinnati.

"I wished I lived in the area!" wrote H Scott Apley.

The month before, Apley responded to what Baltimore's former health commissioner was heralding as "great news" clinical trials showed the Pfizer vaccine was effective at fighting the coronavirus for at least six months, including one of the recent variants.

"You are an absolute enemy of a free people," he wrote in a Twitter reply.

And on Friday, the 45-year-old Dickinson City Council member republished a Facebook post implying that vaccines don't work.

Two days later, Apley was admitted to a Galveston hospital with "pneumonia-like symptoms" and tested positive for covid, according to an online fundraising campaign. He was sedated and put on a ventilator.

On Wednesday, he died, members of his county's party announced on social media.

Patrick McGinnis, chairman of the Galveston County Republican Party, said in a statement that Apley's death was a "tragedy magnified by his youth, his young family especially his very young son."

Apley's wife and their son also tested positive for the virus. Neither had been hospitalized when Apley first went into the emergency room, according to the GoFundMe page.

In a little more than a day, the fundraising effort which has since been updated to cover Apley's funeral costs raised more than $28,000 from over 300 donors. The man running the Apley's GoFundMe page and the Galveston County Republican Party didn't respond to emails from The Washington Post late Wednesday.

Apley was elected to the Dickinson City Council in November after a failed campaign in 2019. He was also serving his first term on the Texas GOP's State Republican Executive Committee.

McGinnis, who did not mention that Apley died of the coronavirus, remembered his colleague as "an advocate for liberty, limited government and the highest ideal of American Exceptionalism."

Texas GOP Chairman Matt Rinaldi noted in a separate statement that Apley had "a long history of conservative political activism."

On social media, Apley criticized the idea of businesses using vaccine passports. Supporters of such passports "are the same ones who were happy to see you shut down for a year because they were scared to leave their homes," a man said on Facebook.

Apley piggybacked: "100 [percent] right here!!"

When officials at the NRG Park Community Vaccination Center in Houston started offering goodies like NFL and Disney on Ice tickets to coax people into getting vaccinated, Apley posted a short, clear assessment to Facebook: "Disgusting."

Apley is one of a growing number of highly-publicized cases of people getting seriously ill or dying after railing against masks, bashing vaccines, downplaying the gravity of the pandemic or merely being vaccine hesitant.
Last month, a conservative talk show host in Tennessee went to the emergency room after a coronavirus infection gave him pneumonia, The Post reported. Before getting sick, Phil Valentine had decided not to get vaccinated and used his radio show to frequently make fun of efforts to get more people inoculated.

When he got sick, the radio host changed his mind, according to his brother, who said Valentine will use his show as a pro-vaccine platform when he gets back on air.

On Tuesday, Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said he regretted signing a bill into law in April that banned local officials from imposing mask mandates. He has called for a special session to reevaluate the ban as new covid infections surge across the state once more.

A doctor in Alabama, which has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the country, last month wrote a detailed Facebook post about how a lot of "young healthy people" were being admitted to the hospital "with very serious" covid infections.

"One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine," Brytney Cobia wrote. "I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late."

Mothra
Guy was morbidly obese unfortunately. Dangerous combination with COVID. May he Rest In Peace.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Amazing how a certain group of our "society" celebrates the death of anyone whose political beliefs are not in line with theirs. Pathetic.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Amazing how a certain group of our "society" celebrates the death of anyone whose political beliefs are not in line with theirs. Pathetic.
Jinxy has always been pathetic.

She has long passed the point of even caring . Merely pops another pill into her mouth .
J.B.Katz
Mothra said:

Guy was morbidly obese unfortunately. Dangerous combination with COVID. May he Rest In Peace.
You know what? If he had taken the vaccine, he would be morbidly obese-and alive.

And his wife would still have a living husband and his son would still have a living father.
BERFAN
J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

You know what? If he had taken the vaccine, he would be morbidly obese-and alive.

And his wife would still have a living husband and his son would still have a living father.
Beautiful. So nobody that has the vaccine is dying????? That is so awesome!!!

It's a great day in America.
HuMcK
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

That was you calling protestors rat people who needed to be put down all last summer and fall, yes? I believe Canada even extended that description to anyone on welfare, so it's extra ironic that both of you decided to speak up on this thread and really highlight your hypocrisy.
fadskier
J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

But he made his own personal choice and suffered the consequences...being a Republican has nothing to do with it. Using someone's death as political theater is sick...
HuMcK
fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

But he made his own personal choice and suffered the consequences...being a Republican has nothing to do with it. Using someone's death as political theater is sick...

The guy wove his partisanship (he was an elected GOP official after all) and anti-vax beliefs into his identity. He used his political platform to advocate against the vaccines and wearing a mask. It's fair to point out how those decisions had consequences. At some point you have to ask yourself: why aren't we hearing many similar stories about Dem politicians getting sick and dying from COVID? Because they all got vaccinated, while a section of the GOP base has made not getting the COVID vax and resisting all mitigation measures a litmus test for being in their club, that's why.
Forest Bueller_bf
fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

Yep, when she said she approved those who haven't had the vaccine to be denied emergency services for ANY reason I knew they had jump the tracks long ago.

The black community still has the largest % who are vaccine hesitant. Now you want to talk about Countries actually not reporting Covid death.

Mexico 220,000 Covid deaths reported, 475,000 Excess deaths.

Russia 133,000 Coivd deaths reported 577,000 Excess deaths.

South Africa 66,000 Covid deaths reported 183,000 Excess deaths.

These countries all have more than twice as many excess deaths as Covid deaths reported.

Canada2017
fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

Lifelong bigotry leads to the acceptance of sick attitudes .
Booray
fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

How can you say that? He used his anti-vax beliefs to advance in the Republican party. A significant percentage of the GOP has staked out a position that the correct response to the pandemic is to oppose social distancing, mask wearing and vaccination. This guy was trying to make political capital out of that position; a position that is literally killing people. It is newsworthy and relevant when it kills one of their own.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
HuMcK said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

That was you calling protestors rat people who needed to be put down all last summer and fall, yes? I believe Canada even extended that description to anyone on welfare, so it's extra ironic that both of you decided to speak up on this thread and really highlight your hypocrisy.
Looters should be shot on site. Had we put just a few of them in the ground last summer, crime would not be the epidemic it is today. I much prefer the terms thugs and animals over rat people.

-- Barack Obama
fadskier
Booray said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

How can you say that? He used his anti-vax beliefs to advance in the Republican party. A significant percentage of the GOP has staked out a position that the correct response to the pandemic is to oppose social distancing, mask wearing and vaccination. This guy was trying to make political capital out of that position; a position that is literally killing people. It is newsworthy and relevant when it kills one of their own.

What percetage has? A vocal percentage? I'm Republican as is my entire family and we are all vaxxed. I held a vaccine clinic at my work and all but two of my 47 got a vaccine.

They could have referred to him as an anti-vaxxer instead of Republicans.

BTW, my two (new) employees who did not get the vaccine because they don't trust it...voted for Biden.
Osodecentx
fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

It isn't theater, it's real life. Learn from it
fadskier
Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

No, it is clearly being used as a political football....and I am vaccinated.
Osodecentx
fadskier said:

Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

No, it is clearly being used as a political football....and I am vaccinated.
The story fits neatly into a narrative that contradicts antivaxxer BS. What did you expect?

And glad to hear about your vaccination, but this story is still interesting
GrowlTowel
Love a good cut and paste.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

Still not a reason to vote for democrats.
JXL
Obituaries never give causes of death. Did you really not know that?
Booray
fadskier said:

Booray said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

What percetage has? A vocal percentage? I'm Republican as is my entire family and we are all vaxxed. I held a vaccine clinic at my work and all but two of my 47 got a vaccine.

BTW, my two (new) employees who did not get the vaccine because they don't trust it...voted for Biden.
Vaccination rates is clearly a partisan issue.

These are fairly recent numbers:

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/the-red-blue-divide-in-covid-19-vaccination-rates-is-growing/
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Booray said:

fadskier said:

Booray said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/the-red-blue-divide-in-covid-19-vaccination-rates-is-growing/

-- Barack Obama
J.B.Katz
My father was a really traditional guy. Mother stayed home with us 3 kids.

He would have been disgusted with Scott Apley. He told me before I got married that men who didn't take care of their health weren't taking their responsibilities as a provider, husband and father seriously.

When I was a kid lots of men didn't go to the doc because they thought it wasn't manly. My father didn't buy that. He said he knew too many widows who had to scramble to support themselves and their kids when their husbands died from untreated health conditions and that those men were selfish for not doing what they needed to do to make sure they'd be around as long as possible to provide for their families.
fadskier
Booray said:

fadskier said:

Booray said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

Yes it is...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-and-harris-preemptively-sow-doubt-on-trump-vaccine-announcement/ar-BB18QXKj
curtpenn
Booray said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

Just sort of thinking out loud here and willing to accept being wrong, but it seems to me that the GOP position is more along the lines of advocating for people to make their own decisions than it is opposed to social distancing, mask wearing, and vaccination. Not sure how one would quantify all of that, though.
Mothra
J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

Last time I checked he was an adult and knew the risks. His body his choice.

I know that his having the freedom to make that decision pisses you off.
Doc Holliday
curtpenn said:

Booray said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

Just sort of thinking out loud here and willing to accept being wrong, but it seems to me that the GOP position is more along the lines of advocating for people to make their own decisions than it is opposed to social distancing, mask wearing, and vaccination. Not sure how one would quantify all of that, though.
Wait, you mean dem party loyalists are going out of their way to construe vaccine choice as murder?
C. Jordan
Mothra said:

Still, you don't find it ironic and stupid that he mocks COVID, dies of it, and then people like you downplay it?

He died for Trump, I guess.

Hope others don't die from the misinformation he spread!
C. Jordan
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Who is celebrating his death?

I think it's tragic. He died for nothing except for pride and/or stupidity.
C. Jordan
J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

This.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
C. Jordan said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Who is celebrating his death?

I think it's tragic. He died for nothing except for pride and/or stupidity.

Had he not been a leader of the Texas Republican Party, this would have been a non-story. His death would have been treated like just another daily shooting victim in Chicago. Silence.

-- Barack Obama
Buddha Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

HuMcK said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Looters should be shot on site. Had we put just a few of them in the ground last summer, crime would not be the epidemic it is today. I much prefer the terms thugs and animals over rat people.

If crime is an epidemic today, how would crime in the 70s and 80s be described?
4yrletterbear
50 % of the recent cases of Covid in our county are vaccinated individuals.
Forest Bueller_bf
Well with the current open border situation, we are importing new strains of this deadly virus on a daily basis, so the vaccinated will be more than 50% of cases once a strain that is truly vaccine resistant comes over.

SIC EM 94
J.B.Katz said:

My father was a really traditional guy. Mother stayed home with us 3 kids.

He would have been disgusted with Scott Apley. He told me before I got married that men who didn't take care of their health weren't taking their responsibilities as a provider, husband and father seriously.

When I was a kid lots of men didn't go to the doc because they thought it wasn't manly. My father didn't buy that. He said he knew too many widows who had to scramble to support themselves and their kids when their husbands died from untreated health conditions and that those men were selfish for not doing what they needed to do to make sure they'd be around as long as possible to provide for their families.

Neat story, book deal in the works? Post less and spend more time convincing your black brothers and sisters to go get vaccinated.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.