Vaccine game changer?

1,683 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jupiter
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If this works, it's probably more important to the world than the COVID vaccines.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58810551
nein51
Unchecked growth of population on the African continent will be a massive problem. Dead babies from malaria or starving adults? Terrible problem either way. A vaccine for malaria is an incredible leap forward, however, and probably more important than a polio vaccine was.
Coke Bear
nein51 said:

Unchecked growth of population on the African continent will be a massive problem. Dead babies from malaria or starving adults? Terrible problem either way.
The unused portion of Africa alone could feed the entire world's population. We don't have a population problem. We have a logistics and political corruption problem.
nein51
Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

Unchecked growth of population on the African continent will be a massive problem. Dead babies from malaria or starving adults? Terrible problem either way.
The unused portion of Africa alone could feed the entire world's population. We don't have a population problem. We have a logistics and political corruption problem.

How much time have you spent in Africa?
Canada2017
Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

The unused portion of Africa alone could feed the entire world's population.

Where in Africa are you referring to ?
Canon
nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

8 countries, multiple times a year for over a decade. He's not wrong.
Canada2017
Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

I have never been to Africa .

Where are all these unused lands on the continent that could feed the entire world's population ?
D. C. Bear
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

Where are all these unused lands on the continent that could feed the entire world's population ?

The entire world's population may be a bit of a stretch, but all of Africa's population and a nice chunk of the rest isn't.
Canon
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

Most of sub Saharan Africa is extremely fertile, with some minor exceptions like parts of Namibia. African politics are just a near universal mess.
Canada2017
Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

Most of sub Saharan Africa is extremely fertile, with some minor exceptions like parts of Namibia. African politics are just a near universal mess.
OK.

Fertile or not ....how could anyone economically provide the necessary water in one of the driest and hottest places on the planet ?
D. C. Bear
Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

OK.

Fertile or not ....how could anyone economically provide the necessary water in one of the driest and hottest places on the planet ?

There are plenty of places in Africa that are neither dry nor particularly hot.
Canada2017
D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

OK.

The sub Saharan was specifically mentioned .

And to my ( admittedly limited ) knowledge about the region it certainly appears to be hot and dry .

Interesting topic though .

Especially since I will never visit the continent.
ATL Bear
Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

OK.

And to my ( admittedly limited ) knowledge about the region it certainly appears to be hot and dry .

You can grow just about anything in Sub-Saharan Africa depending upon the country. The problem is a lack of modern farming equipment, roads, storage, stable governments and stable markets. Africa is full of small farms that can support families and villages, but you can't feed the masses without stable land control and the requirements for mass agricultural production.

The Central Africa region is arguably the Garden of Eden on Earth, but it's hell on Earth politically, socially, and economically.
CammoTX
Solution to baby boom is education of women. Africa needs investment in its people.
D. C. Bear
ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

OK.

You can grow just about anything in Sub-Saharan Africa depending upon the country. The problem is a lack of modern farming equipment, roads, storage, stable governments and stable markets. Africa is full of small farms that can support families and villages, but you can't feed the masses without stable land control and the requirements for mass agricultural production.

The Central Africa region is arguably the Garden of Eden on Earth, but it's hell on Earth politically, socially, and economically.

More like purgatory than hell, depending on where you are, but there are a few changes that would make an enormous difference in those economies. Malaria takes an enormous toll on the economy in many of these countries, not just on lives and health. Corruption is as endemic as malaria. Thanks to President George W. Bush, AIDS is not the devastating plague that it once was, but it is still a problem.
Canada2017
ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

OK.

You can grow just about anything in Sub-Saharan Africa depending upon the country. The problem is a lack of modern farming equipment, roads, storage, stable governments and stable markets.
Looking at a map wouldn't have thought so. But I haven't been there and you have....so ok.....I've learned something today .

Mexico also has the natural resources available to alleviate their people's widespread poverty and raise the country to a 1st world status.

However widespread corruption, inefficient distribution systems, and especially the morale destroying impact of the drug cartels keep Mexico on the brink of anarchy .
Canada2017
D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

OK.

More like purgatory than hell, depending on where you are, but there are a few changes that would make an enormous difference in those economies. Malaria takes an enormous toll on the economy in many of these countries, not just on lives and health. Corruption is as endemic as malaria. Thanks to President George W. Bush, AIDS is not the devastating plague that it once was, but it is still a problem.
Wasn't a vaccine for malaria recently announced ? If so will have a huge impact throughout the world .
C. Jordan
D. C. Bear said:

If this works, it's probably more important to the world than the COVID vaccines.

It really would help in those countries.

In Africa, they say the most deadly animal is the mosquito.
Canada2017
C. Jordan said:

D. C. Bear said:

The mosquito has killed more people throughout the world . No other animal even comes close.

For many years the Texas gulf coast was practically uninhabitable due to the mosquito transmitted diseases endemic there.
D. C. Bear
Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

OK.

Wasn't a vaccine for malaria recently announced ? If so will have a huge impact throughout the world .

See thread title and OP article link.
Canada2017
D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

Canada2017 said:

Canon said:

nein51 said:

Coke Bear said:

nein51 said:

OK.

See thread title and OP article link.
My mistake....thanks for the correction .
ATL Bear
C. Jordan said:

D. C. Bear said:

They are the deadliest and it isn't close. Excluding humans, the next deadliest is the Hippo.
Oldbear83
ATL Bear said:

C. Jordan said:

D. C. Bear said:

They are the deadliest and it isn't close. Excluding humans, the next deadliest is the Hippo.
Funny how there is not one horror movie I am aware of about Hippos.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
57Bear
Maybe Hippos are hard to train!
Oldbear83
57Bear said:

Maybe Hippos are hard to train!
Not many resumes include 'Hippo Wrangling'
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
jupiter

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.