Are Southwest Airlines employees sabotaging their company over vaccine mandate?

5,024 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JXL
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?

4th and Inches
The employees are not sabotaging the company, the company is self sabotaging with the Ridiculous mandate. Let the market decide
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Canada2017
Jack Bauer said:

I hope so .

This just be what's needed to encourage people to fight back .
Freedomb3ar
Media buried this for several hours.

Southwest got caught in a big lie too. Embarrassing for them
Oldbear83
Funny how companies which established strong reputations for service and customer focus will abandon those practices eventually.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Southwest is not the people oriented company they have made themselves out to be. It is all about making money and sucking the taxpayers dry in difficult times. The airlines are bulletproof. Permanently sucking on the government teat. Screw Gary Kelly. Herb Kelleher is spinning in his grave.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
br53
Why are we blaming Southwest for the mandate? Pretty sure Biden made the mandate and since Southwest has over 100 employees and contracts with the government the mandate was not Southwests choice it was from the government. Or am I missing something?
CSIBear
People aren't suggesting the mandates are SW's fault...they are mad that SW is lying and blaming weather for these delays because airlines have different rules for making things right when the cancelations are weather related.
br53
CSIBear said:

People aren't suggesting the mandates are SW's fault...they are mad that SW is lying and blaming weather for these delays because airlines have different rules for making things right when the cancelations are weather related.
4thandinches said in a post up above "The employees are not sabotaging the company, the company is self sabotaging with the Ridiculous mandate. Let the market decide"

Sounds like the mandate being blamed to me.
HuMcK
4th and Inches said:

The employees are not sabotaging the company, the company is self sabotaging with the Ridiculous mandate. Let the market decide

It kind of did, only one airline is experiencing these problems, and their former customers are now flying home on different airlines that all have the same employee vaccine requirements.
4th and Inches
HuMcK said:

4th and Inches said:

It kind of did, only one airline is experiencing these problems, and their former customers are now flying home on different airlines that all have the same employee vaccine requirements.
so basically the people dont care if the employees are vaxed or not, they just want to get on a plane as scheduled.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
br53
4th and Inches said:

HuMcK said:

4th and Inches said:

so basically the people dont care if the employees are vaxed or not, they just want to get on a plane as scheduled.

Yes. I don't care if you get vaccinated or not. It's really not my business. I don't walk into H-E-B and ask the butcher if he is vaccinated, I just want the damn ribeye.
Whiskey Pete
br53 said:

Why are we blaming Southwest for the mandate? Pretty sure Biden made the mandate and since Southwest has over 100 employees and contracts with the government the mandate was not Southwests choice it was from the government. Or am I missing something?
I think you're missing that people are angry that Southwest isn't fighting back against these BS mandates.
br53
Rawhide said:

br53 said:

I think you're missing that people are angry that Southwest isn't fighting back against these BS mandates.

So as a business owner I should fight back and lose my government contracts and money when I just spent the 9 of last 18 months with no business and also tell those that I have contracts with to screw off? Did I also mention that government that made the mandates floated me and all the other airlines a nice chunk of change to keep us in business during the pandemic? They can't tell the government to piss off because the government keeps saving the airlines butt every time there is an issue. Y'all need to understand that you may have Southwest stock but the government controls them and every other airline.
Whiskey Pete
HuMcK said:

4th and Inches said:

The market didn't decide squat. Their former customers are taking different flights because Southwest has cancelled flights because their employees are fighting back against the vax mandates.

Southwest customers don't give two ****s about whether Southwest employees are vaccinated or not, but they do care if their flight gets cancelled. Proven by the fact that Southwest was flying people around the country before the mandate and after the mandate. They lost customers when those customers lost airline service.

For the market to truly decide dementia joe would need to stop his BS vax mandates and just let private companies decide their own policies regarding vaccinations.

If one airline decides to mandate jabs and the other airline decided not to mandate jabs... that's where the market will decide. Both the retail market and the employment market.

When you have a slimy ass POS like biden trying to force anything on anyone one way or another, it ceases to be "let the market decide"

Are you really this damn stupid or that much of a partisan clown; probably both.
Whiskey Pete
br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

So as a business owner I should fight back and lose my government contracts and money when I just spent the 9 of last 18 months with no business and also tell those that I have contracts with to screw off? Did I also mention that government that made the mandates floated me and all the other airlines a nice chunk of change to keep us in business during the pandemic? They can't tell the government to piss off because the government keeps saving the airlines butt every time there is an issue. Y'all need to understand that you may have Southwest stock but the government controls them and every other airline.
I stated why their employees are angry. Did I state that should or shouldn't fight back? No, I didn't not. But kudos to you for jumping the shark on my post.

Because I think the mandates are BS doesn't mean that I'm telling Southwest how to run their business. I'll leave that for the (obviously) smart people like you, who probably don't work for Southwest....or any airline for that matter.
HuMcK
"Southwest customers don't give two ****s about whether Southwest employees are vaccinated or not, but they do care if their flight gets cancelled."

Yup, that's right. And implicit in that attitude is that the general public has no pity for you whiny tity babies who contort yourself in theatrical hysterics over a simple vaccine, during an epidemic that has killed more Americans than any of our wars. I don't care how many tweets or social media posts you can dig up of people supporting the Southwest employees, the proof is in the customers, who are pissed at the cancelled flights and not the vaccine mandate.

This may come as a shock to learn, but nigh on a million dead and a similar number with lingering symptoms has negative economic consequences. I'm sure airlines are sad to see longtime employees and experience go out the door, but they know they the better long term play is to mitigate the effects of the pandemic and eventually move past it.
Jack Bauer
If Trump was reelected, the Dems would (still) be questioning the validity of the vaccine.

Now they are in power, the vaccine is the only answer. Its all a clown show.
Sam Lowry
Jack Bauer said:

If Trump was reelected, the Dems would (still) be questioning the validity of the vaccine.

Now they are in power, the vaccine is the only answer. Its all a clown show.
Unlikely, but even if true it has nothing to do with the effectiveness or the importance of the vaccine.
GrowlTowel
HuMcK said:

"Southwest customers don't give two ****s about whether Southwest employees are vaccinated or not, but they do care if their flight gets cancelled."

Yup, that's right. And implicit in that attitude is that the general public has no pity for you whiny tity babies who contort yourself in theatrical hysterics over a simple vaccine, during an epidemic that has killed more Americans than any of our wars. I don't care how many tweets or social media posts you can dig up of people supporting the Southwest employees, the proof is in the customers, who are pissed at the cancelled flights and not the vaccine mandate.

This may come as a shock to learn, but nigh on a million dead and a similar number with lingering symptoms has negative economic consequences. I'm sure airlines are sad to see longtime employees and experience go out the door, but they know they the better long term play is to mitigate the effects of the pandemic and eventually move past it.

Doubling down I see.

If you have had the vaccine why in the hell do you care if your flight attendant had it?

You have either had COVID, have COVID, or will have COVID. There is no other outcome. To suggest otherwise is denying science.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Harrison Bergeron
GrowlTowel said:

HuMcK said:

Doubling down I see.

If you have had the vaccine why in the hell do you care if your flight attendant had it?

You have either had COVID, have COVID, or will have COVID. There is no other outcome. To suggest otherwise is denying science.
This is the dot I cannot connect. To put it simply, there likely are two basic camps:
1. People who believe the vaccine is effective (to varying degrees)
2. People who do not believe the vaccine is effective at all

If you're in group one, you should not care whether anyone else is vaccinated. If you believe in it, then you're protected and should have no worries.

If you're in group two, you have the option to mitigate your risk through other means.

It makes zero logical sense that those who are vaccinated are the most clamoring for mandates. They either actually do not have faith in the vaccine or simply want to control people's lives. If a person is vaccinated, they should care less whether their waiter or flight attendant is vaccinated. If a person is not vaccinated, then they accept whatever risk they are willing to bear. None of this makes any sense.
Whiskey Pete
HuMcK said:

I'm not hysterical over a vaccine. A vaccine that I've had, you moron. I swear, you have no damn comprehension skills.

Let me try to explain this to you one more friggin' time:

1) You're an idiot
2) You're a partisan clown
3) I have no issues with private companies issuing their own private vax mandates for their employees
4) I have a big problem with gov't forcing people to get a jab
5) You're nothing more than biden's lapdog
6) You're not capable of understanding "let the market decide"

I'll add that since you were the only trying to defend biden's fubar'd Afghanistan pull out, much like how biden tries to claim about his spending plan, you credibility is ZERO.

When our POS president tries to mandate anything, the market has NOT decided squat. Grow a brain you moron.
HuMcK
See paragraph 2 of the comment you replied to. The rest of us want a return to normalcy and are tired of the wild conspiracies and resistance theater from a vocal minority. High case counts and death rates, now being driven largely by unvaccinated populations, are an impediment to the economy as a whole. Each new surge costs more resources and human capital. Seven hundred fourteen thousand deaths and counting now, over 99% of them in the last wave were unvaccinated.

Early on the right wing narrative was that some sacrifice of lives was acceptable, even necessary, to sustain the economy. The majority of America ended up deciding that a small sacrifice of personal liberty, i.e. mandating a proven safe and effective vaccination, is an acceptable cost to move past the pandemic.
GrowlTowel
HuMcK said:

See paragraph 2 of the comment you replied to. The rest of us want a return to normalcy and are tired of the wild conspiracies and resistance theater from a vocal minority. High case counts and death rates, now being driven largely by unvaccinated populations, are an impediment to the economy as a whole. Each new surge costs more resources and human capital. Seven hundred fourteen thousand deaths and counting now, over 99% of them in the last wave were unvaccinated.

Early on the right wing narrative was that some sacrifice of lives was acceptable, even necessary, to sustain the economy. The majority of America ended up deciding that a small sacrifice of personal liberty, i.e. mandating a proven safe and effective vaccination, is an acceptable cost to move past the pandemic.
No, a majority of Americans made the personal decision to take the vaccine. Forcing a minority to do so is wrong.

I am both vaccinated and have had Covid and I could not give a **** if anyone else takes the vaccine for any reason. Their decision has NO impact on my ability to fight the disease that every human on this Earth has had, will have, or currently has.

You know this to be true so stop the pollicization of the disease. It already won you the election.
Oldbear83
Fear mongers never see the harm they cause, nor accept that they are worse than the virus they have weaponized.
J.B.Katz
HuMcK said:

Not just "the rest of us."

The majority of us.

This antivax idiocy is hurting the economy. But it's a good way for right-wing politicians to rile up the gullibles like these boys here. So that's what they're doing.
HuMcK
"It already won you the election."

Probably would have won Trump the election if he had treated it seriously and not chosen to portray it as a political plot against him. Even a little bit more care and competence could have swing a close race, but he couldn't even manage to keep from being hospitalized with it during the campaign.
Harrison Bergeron
HuMcK said:

The case counts and death rates should have little impact on the economy. If anything, it drives profits and OT for health care workers, and it makes more jobs available to the unemployed. The only thing economically impacted is by the lockdowns. Similarly, the disruptions in some industries and firing essential workers is causing the harm not covid.

I don't know why you always reflexively go to binary tribal silliness, but by the same token the left wing narrative was "don't trust Trump's vaccine."

For the record, I think everyone > 30 should get vaccinated. The question that remains unanswered is why are people that are pro-vaccine so hysterical about the unvaccinated. If one believes it works, then one should resume life as normal. If I am vaccinated, I should not be afraid to fly because the stewardess or pilot is not vaccinated. That's irrational.
Doc Holliday
Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

If I am vaccinated, I should not be afraid to fly because the stewardess or pilot is not vaccinated. That's irrational.
He's willing to overlook and ignore his failed logic because the worldview that 'unvaxxed people are crazy right wingers hurting everyone' is political capitol he intends to use.

If the vax are protected but they need the unvaxxed to get protected in order to be protected, then the vax weren't protected to begin with.
4th and Inches
Union for AA pilots are warning a strike may come..

–Horace

GrowlTowel
HuMcK said:

"It already won you the election."

Probably would have won Trump the election if he had treated it seriously and not chosen to portray it as a political plot against him. Even a little bit more care and competence could have swing a close race, but he couldn't even manage to keep from being hospitalized with it during the campaign.
Biden has killed more people than Trump.
Sam Lowry
Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

The case counts and death rates should have little impact on the economy. If anything, it drives profits and OT for health care workers, and it makes more jobs available to the unemployed. The only thing economically impacted is by the lockdowns. Similarly, the disruptions in some industries and firing essential workers is causing the harm not covid.

I don't know why you always reflexively go to binary tribal silliness, but by the same token the left wing narrative was "don't trust Trump's vaccine."

For the record, I think everyone > 30 should get vaccinated. The question that remains unanswered is why are people that are pro-vaccine so hysterical about the unvaccinated. If one believes it works, then one should resume life as normal. If I am vaccinated, I should not be afraid to fly because the stewardess or pilot is not vaccinated. That's irrational.
Only a small percentage of the economic impact was caused by lockdowns.

"The vaccine works or it doesn't" is a false dichotomy. It works well overall, better for some than others, and reduces stress on hospitals so they can care for more patients with other needs as well as those with Covid.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

"The vaccine works or it doesn't" is a false dichotomy. It works well overall, better for some than others, and reduces stress on hospitals so they can care for more patients with other needs as well as those with Covid.
Do the millions who beat covid and have antibodies need the vaccine?
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

I don't know, there's still a lot of debate on that. There's evidence that natural antibodies are good, but there's also evidence that many previously infected people don't develop them.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

I don't know, there's still a lot of debate on that. There's evidence that natural antibodies are good, but there's also evidence that many previously infected people don't develop them.
Seriously?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.