NASA's James Webb Space Telescope arrives in French Guiana ahead of Dec. 18 launch

2,356 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jupiter
jupiter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

The earthly journeys of NASA's next big space observatory are nearly at an end.
A cargo ship carrying the $10 billion James Webb Space Telescope arrived in French Guiana on Tuesday (Oct. 12), wrapping up a 16-day ocean voyage that covered 5,800 miles (9,300 kilometers), NASA officials said.

The ship, known as the MN Colibri, departed from Seal Beach in Southern California's Orange County on Sept. 26. It entered the Panama Canal on Oct. 5, moving from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean Sea, and then made its way to French Guiana, a French territory on South America's northeastern coast.

https://www.space.com/nasa-james-webb-space-telescope-arrives-french-guiana?fbclid=IwAR2236NVMOKt7yAxH-6Iy3kWA_d4ey2EFMrlffZ7K8mPYKwCzuDCq4IntxM&utm_campaign=socialflow

Porteroso
10bn for a telescope is just insane. I'm glad we still invest in learning about our universe.
jupiter

ABC BEAR
French Guiana? I guess you can see Uranus more clearly from there. Isn't French Guiana a former French penal colony? It should be a good place to do work with few distractions.
EatMoreSalmon
ABC BEAR said:

French Guiana? I guess you can see Uranus more clearly from there. Isn't French Guiana a former French penal colony? It should be a good place to do work with few distractions.
I believe that is where France launches its rockets to space.
OsoCoreyell
jupiter

Thee University
NASA is involved?

Sorry boys, this will NEVER work. Too many moving parts just to get it unfolded.

I'm pulling for NASA to have a big win but not confident.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
jupiter
NASA's James Webb Space Telescope might be able to detect any artificial lights on the exoplanet Proxima b when it launches this October, scientists claim

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9601699/NASAs-James-Webb-Space-Telescope-able-detect-artificial-lights-Proxima-b.html

jupiter

Redbrickbear
EatMoreSalmon said:

ABC BEAR said:

I believe that is where France launches its rockets to space.
Correct
jupiter

jupiter

jupiter

Wangchung
This one could be revolutionary in how we view our very existence.
jupiter
LIB,MR BEARS
LIB,MR BEARS
ABC BEAR said:

all I can picture is Dustin Hoffman wearing those thick glasses. I'm not sure how that works.
jupiter

jupiter
Wangchung
jupiter said:

Thank you! Feels like I've been waiting forever for this to start sending us images.
jupiter

Quote:

NASA's deputy administrator, Pam Melroy, said she was blown away by the images Webb has produced so far. "What I have seen moved me, as a scientist, as an engineer, and as a human being," she said.

The telescope is healthy. Thanks to a precise launch by the European Space Agency's Ariane 5 rocket, Webb should have enough maneuvering propellant on board for 20 years of life. And although there have already been five micrometeoroid impacts, the telescope was designed to account for these small dings with a lot of margin.

Recounting his first encounter with data from Webb, Zurbuchen said he, too, was in awe of what the telescope had proven capable of. He said he almost cried when looking at the first photos taken by the new instrument.

"It's really hard to not look at the universe in a new light and not just have a moment that is deeply personal," he said. "It's an emotional moment when you see nature suddenly releasing some of its secrets. and I would like you to imagine and look forward to that."

What a tease!

"The images are being taken right now," said Thomas Zurbuchen, who leads NASA's scientific programs, during a news conference on Wednesday. "There is already some amazing science in the can, and some others are yet to be taken as we go forward. We are in the middle of getting the history-making data down."

NASA said it plans to release several images beginning at 10:30 am ET (14:30 UTC) on July 12, the result of Webb's "first light" observations.
jupiter
jupiter

Doc Holliday
jupiter said:

This is cool, but these pictures aren't what it actually looks like in space. Most of these are infrared.

If you drove a spacecraft next to these in space, the human eye couldn't pick up the infrared.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Thanks for the updates Jupiter/ Great stuff.
jupiter
jupiter
jupiter

BaylorJacket
Truly mind blowing. Light that is over 13 billion years old..

What a time to be alive
Wangchung
Been waiting for so long. Awesome.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
jupiter
First Images from the James Webb Space Telescope | NASA

jupiter

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.