NCAA and MTF Transgender Athletes.

28,889 Views | 405 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 4th and Inches
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think there's any disagreement on this board about Shermer's conclusion but I post this for the clarity of his argument.

MTF transgender swimmer Lia Thomas from Penn is crushing the female competition. Is that her right? Is it right? No. Here's why.
[url=https://email.mg2.substack.com/c/eJxNkMuOhCAQRb-m2bXhqbhg0Zv5DYNQKhkEA-VM_PuhH4tJCBSByq1znEVYc7nMkSuS5zbhdYBJ8FsjIEIhZ4UyBW-GQQ-cSeKN9EwrTUKdlgKw2xANlhPIcc4xOIshp2eD4r1QnGyG9n6koLXnfBbK-56Nli3SMgGg5DK-c-3pAyQHBn6gXDkBiWZDPOpNPG78q616zhWt--5c3tv1KHkJEVolRya0UPc9uM1CvNcNyt5GD4ZTzhinI2dKC9Hxzg2LpOPsYHbKgnPdumI8weqbpPvKu_8ZpJhik7-6im2mVNuX9Un7emuwUzv3MwW8Jkh2juDfHvBt82VmWiFBaZb9ZNGwXoxUD4z1Sn-wmyipuOhZT0kL97l1JfMh-YD8ARzrjzc][/url]
[url=https://email.mg2.substack.com/c/eJxNkMuOhCAQRb-m2bXhqbhg0Zv5DYNQKhkEA-VM_PuhH4tJCBSByq1znEVYc7nMkSuS5zbhdYBJ8FsjIEIhZ4UyBW-GQQ-cSeKN9EwrTUKdlgKw2xANlhPIcc4xOIshp2eD4r1QnGyG9n6koLXnfBbK-56Nli3SMgGg5DK-c-3pAyQHBn6gXDkBiWZDPOpNPG78q616zhWt--5c3tv1KHkJEVolRya0UPc9uM1CvNcNyt5GD4ZTzhinI2dKC9Hxzg2LpOPsYHbKgnPdumI8weqbpPvKu_8ZpJhik7-6im2mVNuX9Un7emuwUzv3MwW8Jkh2juDfHvBt82VmWiFBaZb9ZNGwXoxUD4z1Sn-wmyipuOhZT0kL97l1JfMh-YD8ARzrjzc][/url]
Michael Shermer
Dec 9

Do me a favor and picture yourself sitting in the stands at a swim meet. The winner touches the wall after swimming 1650 yards. Now, count to 38 seconds to note the time before the second place competitor hits the plate that stops the clock: "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand, four one-thousand, five one-thousand…."
When (or if) you get to "thirty eight one-thousand", consider the fact that this was the margin between the Penn State collegiate transgender swimmer Lia Thomas and her nearest competitorteammate Anna Kalandadzein the 1650-yard freestyle on Sunday, December 5 at the 2021 Zippy Invitational (15:59.71 vs. 16:37.44). If you got bored counting and stopped at "five one-thousand", this was the gap between Thomas and the nearest competition in the 200 freestyle race against Columbia in early November.

Quote:

A senior at Penn, the 22-year old Thomas from Austin, Texas transitioned and went through the required one-year testosterone suppression treatment required by the NCAA (apparently during the 2020-2021 school year when Covid shut down all swimming meets), as explained in its Transgender Handbook:
Quote:

A trans female (MTF) student-athlete being treated with testosterone suppression medication for Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for the purposes of NCAA competition may continue to compete on a men's team but may not compete on a women's team without changing it to a mixed team status until completing one calendar year of testosterone suppression treatment.
Has that treatment slowed Thomas's performance? According to Swimming World Magazine:
Quote:

It's worth noting that Thomas, from her time on the men's team, was a six-time finalist at the Ivy League Championships, including three runnerup performances at the 2019 meet. Her times were 4:18.72 in the 500 free, 8:55.75 in the 1000 free and 14:54.76 in the 1650 free. Following hormone therapy, her 2021 times are far slower but still fast enough to be championship quality.
Comparing her 1650-yard freestyle time as a man of 14:54:76 to her latest time for the 1650-free of 15:59.71 as a transgender woman, the medical treatment would seem to have had an effect. To be exact, that 65 second difference constitutes a 7.2% decline in performance. Even considering confounding variablessuch as the lost-year of competition due to Covid, differential training regimes, dietary and other factorsit seems reasonable to conclude that the testosterone suppression treatment has had a nontrivial effect.
However, it isn't just Thomas's performances against her male self that we need to compare; she's now competing against biological women (those "assigned as female at birth" in the current lingo), and it is that comparison that makes this a controversial subject. According to Swimming World Magazine, since she transitioned from male to female, and subsequently transitioned from the men's division to the women's division in swim meets, Thomas has been "crushing the school records" and "is even rising in the all-time rankings: her 200 free performance makes her the 17th-fastest performer in history, and she is less than three seconds off Missy Franklin's American record. In the 500 free, she ranks 21st all time." According to Penn Athletics, at the 2021 Zippy Invitational "Lia Thomas delivered another record-breaking performance for the Red and Blue at the event. She won the 200 free with a pool, meet and program record time of 1:41.93. She won the race by nearly seven seconds and her time was the fastest in the country." One one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand….
That alone would seem to gainsay this conclusion drawn by Eric Vilain, M.D. Ph.D. and Director of the Center for Gender-Based Biology and Chief Medical Genetics Department of Pediatrics, UCLA, quoted in the Transgender Handbook:
Quote:

Research suggests that androgen deprivation and cross sex hormone treatment in male-to-female transsexuals reduces muscle mass; accordingly, one year of hormone therapy is an appropriate transitional time before a male-to-female student-athlete competes on a women's team.
Comparing the swim-times between male and MTF trans Thomas may support the first part of Vilain's observation, but the comparisons between trans Thomas and his biological female competitors do not support the second part of the statement. Since data is thin in these matters, and anecdotes thick, consider Ellie Marquardt, a Princeton University all-American swimmer who in her freshman year set an Ivy League record in the 500-meter freestyle. This past November Lia Thomas crushed Marquardt in the event by over 13 seconds (4:35.06 vs. 4:48.64). One one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand….
In my opinion, from the scientific studies and the athletic time comparisons available, the data are simply not there to support this conclusion in the NCAA Transgender Handbook:
Quote:

It is also important to know that any strength and endurance advantages a transgender woman arguably may have as a result of her prior testosterone levels dissipate after about one year of estrogen or testosterone-suppression therapy. According to medical experts on this issue, the assumption that a transgender woman competing on a women's team would have a competitive advantage outside the range of performance and competitive advantage or disadvantage that already exists among female athletes is not supported by evidence.
It is not at all clear that one-year of cross sex hormone treatment after puberty turns a biological male into a biological female. Why? Because of all the other differences that result from puberty, most notably a more productive cardiovascular system with larger hearts and lungs that delivers more oxygenated blood to muscles, significantly more upper and lower body muscle mass and corresponding strength in propelling arms and legs, the different leverage strengths from having longer and stronger limb bones and spine, and much else. It is possible, as the NCAA report states, that "transgender girls who medically transition at an early age do not go through a male puberty, and therefore their participation in athletics as girls does not raise the same equity concerns that arise when transgender women transition after puberty," but that they even notes this seems to contradict their statement quoted above. Before and after puberty makes all the difference in the world.
As well, the NCAA Transgender Handbook is confused about variational differences between men and women, stating:
Quote:

Transgender women display a great deal of physical variation, just as there is a great deal of natural variation in physical size and ability among non-transgender women and men. Many people may have a stereotype that all transgender women are unusually tall and have large bones and muscles. But that is not true. A male-to-female transgender woman may be small and slight, even if she is not on hormone blockers or taking estrogen. It is important not to overgeneralize. The assumption that all male-bodied people are taller, stronger, and more highly skilled in a sport than all female-bodied people is not accurate.
No one who thinks at all about this issue thinks that all transgender women are unusually tall and big-boned muscular men. Picture two overlapping bell curves, like the one (below) for male and female height differences. Of course there are some men on the far left tail of the men's distribution who are shorter than most women, and there are some women on the far right tail of the women's distribution who are taller than most men; but on average men are taller than women, and in such natural variation most men are taller than most women. I've not found any data graphs like this for transgender athletes, but think of Lia Thomas as a successful male collegiate swimmer falling on the right tail of the men's bell curve and better than most male swimmers who, after a year of post-pubescent cross sex hormone treatment slides a little ways leftward along the horizontal axis toward the mean for men. But that's not the comparison that matters! Compared to even elite female swimmers, a slightly (7.2%) slower Thomas is still going to be to the right of most of them on such an overlapping bell curve diagram.

None of this is to deny that Gender Identity Disorder, or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, are real phenomena, and I mostly agree with the NCAA that "fears that men will pretend to be female to compete on a women's team are unwarranted." Of course, it's possible a few are faking, but from my read of the literature most people who say that they identify as a different gender actually do and are not pretending, especially when gender identity issues arise in early childhood. (I'll leave aside recent examples of male adult prisoners claiming to identify as female in order to be transferred to female prisons, since they likely have other motives). Teenagers with no prior history of gender identity issues who suddenly feel trans may be influenced by social media and peer pressure, but much more research is needed to untangle the confounding variables at work to get at the true cause of both gender identity and transgenderism.
As a lifelong athlete myself (I was a professional cyclist in the 1980s competing primarily in ultra-marathon events like the 3,000-mile nonstop transcontinental Race Across America), I am sympathetic to the role of sports in dealing with personal problems. I can't count the number of days I've been stressed, anxious, or depressed for which a long hard bike ride didn't prove to be salubrious. No doubt this is what Lia Thomas means when she says swimming is "a huge part of my life and who I am. The process of coming out as being trans and continuing to swim was a lot of uncertainty and unknown around an area that's usually really solid. Realizing I was trans threw that into question. Was I going to keep swimming? What did that look like?" Being able to maintain a daily routine of working out no doubt attenuated much of the stress she went through.
But all that aside, we must not confuse the issues of biological differences with those of rights. Of course we should support trans rights for the same reason we support the rights of people of color, women, and gays: it is immoral (and in many cases illegal) to discriminate against someone based on such immutable characteristics as skin color, gender, and sexual preference, so gender identity should be included in our ever-expanding moral circle and our ever-bending moral arc. The problem arises when there are conflicting rights claims.
I explored this problem in Part 1 of my column on abortion, in the discussion on the right of the mother to choose (pro-choice) vs. the right of the fetus to live (pro-life). We have to make a choice about whose rights should prevail, and I made the case that the rights of the adult woman to choose what to do with her body should take precedence over the rights of the fetus, who is only a potential person (biologically and legally) in the first trimester and well into the second trimester (after which abortions are almost nonexistent). But even if you're pro-life, you still have to make an argument for why the rights of the fetus should prevail over those of the mother.
In the case of Lia Thomas and other MTF trans athletes, we have a conflicting rights issue between the right of biological women to compete against other biological women who fall within the acceptable bell curve range of female performance vs. the right of MTF transgender athletes to compete against biological women. Given that it seems clear from the current evidence that MTF transgender bell curves of performance do not perfectly overlap with those of biological females, we have to make a hard choice between whose rights should prevail. Given the centuries-long history of women fighting to be treated equally and to enjoy the same rights and privileges as men, including and especially the hard-won Title IX laws that protect women's sports, it seems clear to me that we should and must continue to support the rights of biological women unless and until scientific research and athletic performance evaluations make it crystal clear that the two bell curves perfectly overlap, and/or until there are enough transgender athletes to comprise their own athletic divisions.
As Thomas Sowell likes to note in his many examinations of myriad social problems, "there are no solutions, there are only tradeoffs."
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Jack Bauer
This is the first time Megan Rapinoe hasn't blamed a man for something. Gutless.
Wrecks Quan Dough
It is not a female. It is a man competing against women.
Osodecentx
That's just wrong
BUgolfbear
ESPN did a fascinating doc on the Olympic women's swim team in 1976, "The Last Gold". It highlights the biological difference between men and women swimmers and focuses on the East Germans and their systemic doping program. One quote by a US swimmer has stuck with me- "when we walked into the locker room we heard voices and thought we had accidentally walked into the men's locker room. Then we realized those deep voices were coming from the East German women's team."
jdrs
This will kill women's sports.
Jack Bauer
There is NO difference between male and female athletes!!

Jack Bauer
The 100m WR set by Flo-Jo of 10.49 was accomplished by a man in 1921.

Harrison Bergeron
I think there is a very simple solution - we should get rid of the whole "transgender" silliness. Transsexual is a much better word.

If you chop off you willy, you can compete in women's sports. If you're just cross-dressing, you compete with men.

I wish the authoritarians would apply their pro-abortion canard: the only people that should be able to speak on this issue are female athletes.

Overall, we have to stop this anti-science non-sense.
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
Harrison Bergeron said:

If you chop off you willy, you can compete in women's sports. If you're just cross-dressing, you compete with men.

I think they'd call your bluff on that one
Harrison Bergeron
clubhi said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

That's the point comrade.
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
Harrison Bergeron said:

clubhi said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Gender alignment surgery is an actual thing that happens. If it happens post-puberty (which it always does) it still is an unfair advantage. I'm not sure we should do anything in society to try to encourage people to have such major elective surgeries.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Jack Bauer said:

The 100m WR set by Flo-Jo of 10.49 was accomplished by a man in 1921.

And is beaten by several high school boys every year at the state track meet in Austin.
cowboycwr
In the majority of sports there is a huge gap between men and women, their ability, their performance and their records.

As pointed out above the women's 100m dash world record is often beat by men on the regular.

Expand that to all track and field events and the women's world record would not even place in the men's event.

Women's high jump world record is 6 feet 10 & 1/4 inches. Men's 8 feet 1/4 inch.

And it continues for every event in T&F, swimming, etc.

If we allow men to compete as women, even with medicine that reduces their testosterone levels they will smash world records and women won't be able to compete and we will end up with men's teams and women's teams full of a bunch of guys dressing as girls.
Harrison Bergeron
clubhi said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

clubhi said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Gender alignment surgery is an actual thing that happens. If it happens post-puberty (which it always does) it still is an unfair advantage. I'm not sure we should do anything in society to try to encourage people to have such major elective surgeries.
The trannies are not going to be happy.
Jack Bauer
"Now they're having to go behind the blocks knowing no matter what, they do not have the chance to win. I think that it's really getting to everyone."

OutKick Exclusive: Second Female Penn Swimmer Steps Forward, Describes Teammates In Tears OutKick

Quote:

Even after a Wednesday team meeting where a source says Penn administration "strongly advised" its swimmers to avoid talking to the media about the situation surrounding transgender Penn swimmer Lia Thomas, a second female Penn swimmer has stepped forward to speak out via an exclusive interview with OutKick.

The second female Penn swimmer to speak out, who was granted anonymity due to what is viewed as threats from the university, activists, and the political climate, wants people to know that Penn swimmers are "angry" over the lack of fairness in the sport as Lia Thomas destroys the record books and brings fellow teammates to tears.
The second Penn swimmer to come forward was at the University of Akron Zippy Invitational where she watched Lia Thomas beat fellow teammate Anna Kalandadze by 38 seconds in the 1650 freestyle. OutKick's source described Penn swimmers on the Akron pool deck as upset and crying, knowing they were going to be demolished by Thomas.

"They feel so discouraged because no matter how much work they put in it, they're going to lose. Usually, they can get behind the blocks and know they out-trained all their competitors and they're going to win and give it all they've got," the source said.

"Usually everyone claps, everyone is yelling and cheering when someone wins a race. Lia touched the wall and it was just silent in there," OutKick's source said during a phone interview.
"When [Penn swimmer] Anna [Kalandadze] finished second, the crowd erupted in applause."
Friday, Thomas set a new 500 freestyle Ivy League record. Saturday saw Thomas touch the wall in the 200 freestyle, which is now the nation's fastest time in the event. And then there was the 1650 that left fans in disgust.

OutKick's source said that after the 200 freestyle, Thomas could be overheard bragging.
"That was so easy, I was cruising," Lia Thomas allegedly said.

According to OutKick's source, Thomas was unhappy with her time after the 500 race, but while standing in front of teammates, made sure to mention, "At least I'm still No. 1 in the country."
"Well, obviously she's No. 1 in the country because she's at a clear physical advantage after having gone through male puberty and getting to train with testosterone for years," OutKick's source said. "Of course you're No. 1 in the country when you're beating a bunch of females. That's not something to brag about."
BearN
It takes a special kind of psychopath to do this nonsense. And it takes an even more disturbed individual to go along with these delusional people and act like it isn't mental illness.
Osodecentx
BearN said:

It takes a special kind of psychopath to do this nonsense. And it takes an even more disturbed individual to go along with these delusional people and act like it isn't mental illness.
It is abnormal, it ain't right
Porteroso
The thing to get across is the physical changes to the body that puberty causes, which can't be reversed by testosterone blockers. Having better muscle density/more mass, and a larger cardio system alone is a huge advantage.

This is a major setback to gender equality. Women have been training, competing, fighting to have their sports recognized as valid for centuries, only to get to the point where they are now about to be demolished by biological males, just like it always had been.

This is absolutely a fight for equality, and the progressive left is on the losing side.
BearFan33
Harrison Bergeron said:

I think there is a very simple solution - we should get rid of the whole "transgender" silliness. Transsexual is a much better word.

I wish the authoritarians would apply their pro-abortion canard: the only people that should be able to speak on this issue are female athletes.

Overall, we have to stop this anti-science non-sense.
To be fair you would have to lose the testicles too, and very very early in development.
Jack Bauer
Look at Hollywood try to argue this.

Now taller female swimmers are equivalent to male swimmers....??!!

jdrs
So according to that lady commentator the trans swimmer needs some better competition? Unreal
Osodecentx
Porteroso said:

The thing to get across is the physical changes to the body that puberty causes, which can't be reversed by testosterone blockers. Having better muscle density/more mass, and a larger cardio system alone is a huge advantage.

This is a major setback to gender equality. Women have been training, competing, fighting to have their sports recognized as valid for centuries, only to get to the point where they are now about to be demolished by biological males, just like it always had been.

This is absolutely a fight for equality, and the progressive left is on the losing side.
Agreed
BearFan33
They should just make a trans category instead of letting them ruin womens sports.
BearlySpeaking
BUgolfbear said:

ESPN did a fascinating doc on the Olympic women's swim team in 1976, "The Last Gold". It highlights the biological difference between men and women swimmers and focuses on the East Germans and their systemic doping program. One quote by a US swimmer has stuck with me- "when we walked into the locker room we heard voices and thought we had accidentally walked into the men's locker room. Then we realized those deep voices were coming from the East German women's team."
The East German women's swim team was what I was thinking of when I first read about this swim meet. It's generally acknowledged that the coercion by the government to take hormones physically wrecked their bodies, but now that same thing is seen as necessary medical treatment for a psychological condition.
whiterock
Wokeness will fail under the weight of its myriad and proliferating internal contradictions. The only question is how much damage will be done before ordinary people say "enough."

Marx was a loser. His philosophy and those which descend from them are the creed of losers. Like Marxism from which it flows, critical theory does not fix anything. It destroys everything it touches. And blames its political opponents for every falling brick.
Whiskey Pete
Sounds like to me, all these leftists are for transgender acceptance and their right to play on women's teams are actually anti-women and their sports.
Jack Bauer
If there's no advantage, why do we even segregate sports by sex?
4th and Inches
clubhi said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

clubhi said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

you are right- we should leave out gender identity and maybe test each athlete and place them according to genetics. XX compete against XX and XY compete against XY.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
quash
BearFan33 said:

They should just make a trans category instead of letting them ruin womens sports.

The Barry Bonds division.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Harrison Bergeron
Science does not support sex equality.
Science does not support the transgender talking points.

We need to all stop pretending that we live in an anti-science clown world and just let the facts and data drive decisions.
Jack Bauer
baylor06
The fact that people take the time to come up with a ridiculous reason to argue in favor of transgender athletes is baffling. It's just science, men are stronger than women, and just because you "think" your a woman doesn't change simple biology arguably one of the dumbest political debates today.
Booray
First thread in BaylorFans/Sic'em365 history with unanimous agreement.

That should tell you something.
cowboycwr
baylor06 said:

The fact that people take the time to come up with a ridiculous reason to argue in favor of transgender athletes is baffling. It's just science, men are stronger than women, and just because you "think" your a woman doesn't change simple biology arguably one of the dumbest political debates today.
This has been my biggest argument about the transgender issue. Calling yourself female does not change the DNA. There are parts of our DNA that never change no matter the pills you take, surgery you get to take off or add on, or how you dress.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.