Fishing as a Hobby

1,177 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ingridguerci94
Realitybites
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never been fishing before, but one of the youtubers I follows films himself fishing from time to time.

It seems like a pretty decent way to spend time.

If I wanted to get started fishing, what's the best plan?

What I know so far:

Synthetic stick + line + hook/bait + time = fish (sometimes).

Like I said, not much of a knowledge base.
Daveisabovereproach
There's really not that much to it. If you're just fishing in a creek or pond somewhere, you really don't need awesome gear. I would probably buy an ugly stick and something like a Zebco 808. It's cheap and it works fine. Lighter/more flexible rod is better if you're trying to go for really long casts

I've had luck catching bass in ponds up here in North Texas with crank lures.

Bexar Pitts
Realitybites said:

I've never been fishing before, but one of the youtubers I follows films himself fishing from time to time.

What I know so far:

Former Waco High and Baylor Basketball star, the late Charlie Pack ,was one of the best fishing experts that's ever existed..His TV show "Fishing Country with Charlie Pack" has episodes available on You Tube..It was a fun show just to watch, and you can get some fishing tips from one of the best..I would highly recommend you take a few minutes and check it out!
90sBear
Bexar Pitts said:

Realitybites said:

What I know so far:

Former Waco High and Baylor Basketball star, the late Charlie Pack ,was one of the best fishing experts that's ever existed..His TV show "Fishing Country with Charlie Pack" has episodes available on You Tube..It was a fun show just to watch, and you can get some fishing tips from one of the best..I would highly recommend you take a few minutes and check it out!
It's Fishing Country thanks for your time
Let's bait a hook and wet a line
Robert Wilson
think bodies of water

smaller bodies of water w/ fish = easier access and easier quick catching

So creeks, rivers, small ponds (though things like boat slips in bigger lakes are also good spots b/c of the structure)

Look for structure. Structure = baitfish = predator fish.

start by just soaking red wiggler worms on a small hook under a bobber

that oughta get you catching some sunfish / bluegill / warmouth

then try some very small inline spinner baits (like a rooster tail or a roadrunner) casting around structure and you'll start catching some bass

maybe experiment with little crankbaits (try small rapalas) and topwaters (say a torpedo or a pop r) - esp topwaters in low light (very early or very late)

spinners and small crankbaits put big sunfish, black bass, white bass, and crappie all in play

it will get easier as temps warm into the spring

www.texasfishingforum.com for lots of discussion - people will be helpful
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Used to fish the Bosque Rivers a lot 45 years ago and later fished on the Texas City Dike. Great excuse to get out of the house and though I dont eat fish, I cleaned and cooked them for my children. They loved it and it helped lower the grocery bill.

I was usually a bank or wade fisher, At one time I had a jon boat I would put in the back of my truck. I parked my truck on a hill and used the battery for my trolling motor. When I got back I roll started my truck. Good times.

I always used a 404 Zebco for freshwater and an old open reel for saltwater. Never spent much on equipment. Tied my own jigs with various colors of deer tail.

For me fishing was a way to get out of the house and by myself. It was relaxing and challenging at the same time
jasonlevine
I used to go fishing very often and I loved it.
But then I moved to a new city, started a new job, and had no time for it.
But still sometimes when I visit my family I can go fishing, but I lost some skills already
ingridguerci94
Quote:

What I know so far:

Many people who have never taken up fishing are often surprised by how many different disciplines there are. Each of these disciplines requires varying levels of patience, knowledge and overall effort to enjoy, and some are more beginner-friendly than others..

If you are close to an ocean and don't get motion sickness too easily, bottom fishing for edible fish is always a great place to start.

Inland, you can try out various freshwater techniques, some of them will be more suited to your area than others (freshwater fishing is a bit more location-specific).

Usually, whether you are fishing for saltwater or freshwater fish, you will be able to choose between lure fishing (where artificial lures are used to catch predator fish) or bait fishing (where you choose a specific bait to attract the target species).

Personally, I have never come across a discipline of fishing that I don't enjoy. Some are great for a relaxing weekend hobby, while others take a lot more time and preparation (and even practice), but the extra effort always brings its own rewards in the end.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.